RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019-2020 Coaches Hot Seat Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/29/19 7:41 am    ::: 2019-2020 Coaches Hot Seat Thread Reply Reply with quote

Well, normally I would think this is a little early for this kind of thread, but it is pretty obvious the seat is smoking hot in West Lafayette:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/04/25/purdue-women-basketball-needs-deliver-better-results-next-season-sharon-versyp-mike-bobinski/3577874002/

As an aside, I didn't realize 3 starters all had a close family member pass away within a week of each other. I know I was pretty much a zombie for a few weeks after my mom passed away.

Anyway, Purdue will be one to monitor closely next year.

Last edited by purduefanatic on 04/29/19 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/29/19 7:45 am    ::: Re: 2019-2020 Coaches Hot Seat Thread Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Well, normally I would think this is a little early for this kind of thread, but it is pretty obvious the seat is smoking hot in West Lafayette: https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/04/25/purdue-women-basketball-needs-deliver-better-results-next-season-sharon-versyp-mike-bobinski/3577874002/

As an aside, I didn't realize 3 starters all had a close family member pass away within a week of each other. I know I was pretty much a zombie for a few weeks after my mom passed away.

Nikki Fargas has to be on it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/29/19 9:53 am    ::: Re: 2019-2020 Coaches Hot Seat Thread Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Well, normally I would think this is a little early for this kind of thread, but it is pretty obvious the seat is smoking hot in West Lafayette: https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/04/25/purdue-women-basketball-needs-deliver-better-results-next-season-sharon-versyp-mike-bobinski/3577874002/

Nikki's been on it for how many years now? And she's still there. I'm not holding my breath.

PostPosted: 04/29/19 11:01 am    ::: Re: 2019-2020 Coaches Hot Seat Thread Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Nikki's been on it for how many years now? And she's still there. I'm not holding my breath.

New AD in town. Time to win.

icey23

PostPosted: 04/29/19 12:33 pm    ::: Re: 2019-2020 Coaches Hot Seat Thread Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

New AD in town. Time to win.

The new AD is a LSU grad!!

PostPosted: 04/29/19 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My list of worst head coach records currently in WBB, minimum of four seasons at school. (Number of seasons in parentheses.)

1. Chris Gobrecht, Air Force, 19-101 (4)
2. Keeshawn Davenport, New Orleans, 60-162 (8)
3. Courtney G. Pruitt, Alcorn State, 36-84 (4)
4. Brandon Schneider, Kansas, 39-83 (4)
5. Bernard Scott, Detroit, 39-82 (4)
6. Cedric Baker, Savannah State, 166-301 (16) (*)
7. Jamie Craighead, San Jose State, 63-121 (6)
8. Jada Pierce, Niagara, 41-82 (4)
9. Fred Applin, Charleston Southern, 78-136 (7)
10. Darrick Gibbs, North Florida, 45-75 (4)
11. Donna Finnie, Houston Baptist, 66-109 (6)
12. Ronald Hughey, Houston, 59-95 (5)
13. Bonnie Henrickson, UC Santa Barbara, 48-75 (4)
14. Lubomyr Lichonczak, Texas-San Antonio, 70-109 (6)
15. Stacie Terry, San Diego State, 73-111 (6)
16. Belle Koclanes, Dartmouth, 67-100 (6)
17. Angel Elderkin, Applachian State, 66-92 (5)
18. Lynn Milligan, Rider, 144-255 (12)
19. Brittany Lange, Nebraska-Omaha, 73-101 (6)
20. Bunky Harkleroad, Sacramento State, 77-107 (6)

(*) - Savannah State will move to Division II starting with the 2019-20 season.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/29/19 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue women's basketball needs to 'deliver better results' next season

Quote:
The 2019-20 season will carry a lot of weight about the future direction. Coach Sharon Versyp, who finished her 13th season, knows it. Athletic Director Mike Bobinski knows it.

“Coach Versyp and I had conversation shortly after the end of the season and I think it’s fair to say we both left the conversation with an understanding that we’re not in a place where we would like to be,” Bobinski recently told the Journal & Courier.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/04/25/purdue-women-basketball-needs-deliver-better-results-next-season-sharon-versyp-mike-bobinski/3577874002/

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/29/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:
The 2019-20 season will carry a lot of weight about the future direction. Coach Sharon Versyp, who finished her 13th season, knows it. Athletic Director Mike Bobinski knows it.

“Coach Versyp and I had conversation shortly after the end of the season and I think it’s fair to say we both left the conversation with an understanding that we’re not in a place where we would like to be,” Bobinski recently told the Journal & Courier.

Did you not even read the OP...by me? What on earth?

I guess I would also add...did you read any of the following posts seeing as my post is copied in almost every single response?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/29/19 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:
My list of worst head coach records currently in WBB, minimum of four seasons at school. (Number of seasons in parentheses.)

2. Keeshawn Davenport, New Orleans, 60-162 (Cool

The name/school that jumps out on this list is Brandon Schneider at Kansas. How can a Power 5 school have such a bad overall record? You should be able to schedule 12 wins a year.

UC Santa Barbara and San Diego State are also outliers, it seems to me, as you should be able to recruit to both based on location alone.

PostPosted: 04/29/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
petrel wrote:

2. Keeshawn Davenport, New Orleans, 60-162 (Cool

The name/school that jumps out on this list is Brandon Schneider at Kansas. How can a Power 5 school have such a bad overall record? You should be able to schedule 12 wins a year.

UC Santa Barbara and San Diego State are also outliers, it seems to me, as you should be able to recruit to both based on location alone.

Kansas is an interesting one. How are they having such a hard time building a women's hoops program in Lawrence? It feels like KU never gets the "good" recruits. How long does Schneider realistically have left?

Ironically, former coach Bonnie Hendrickson is not getting it done in Santa Barbara. That was such a winning program for all those years under Mark French (and perhaps just one factor why certain Pac-10 programs were struggling at the time...lots of Oregon/AZ/California talent went to UCSB instead).

San Diego State was always in the game with Beth Burns. Her two departures haven't seen the kind of follow-up success you'd expect. Mountain West has gotten tougher with Boise State and Fresno State in the mix, but the Aztecs have really fallen behind under Terry.

re: Purdue. They looked really good on TV the few times I saw them play. They just didn't have productive size or depth, so hopefully that will be addressed and they can win. Although I'm sure the Purdue fans are simply ready for a change in leadership.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/29/19 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

I guess I would also add...did you read any of the following posts seeing as my post is copied in almost every single response?

Actually, I missed your post and the responses. My apologies.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/29/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UVM ought to be on this list. They haven’t had a winning season since Sharon Dawley left a decade ago, and promoting a losing AC to a losing IC to HC doesn’t look like a winning strategy to me. The AD seriously needs a kick in the *** to clean house.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/30/19 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

No problem. Just interesting seeing as it is the first post of the thread and the reason the thread got started in the first place lol.

I guess we now know why there so much duplication in a few threads...people don't even bother to read what is already written in the thread, just post whatever info they have regardless.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/30/19 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

No problem. Just interesting seeing as it is the first post of the thread and the reason the thread got started in the first place lol.

I guess we now know why there so much duplication in a few threads...people don't even bother to read what is already written in the thread, just post whatever info they have regardless.

You are right. In my 14 years on Rebkell, I missed one post. I am sure it has never happened to you.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/30/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

FWIW, Bobinski said basically the same thing last year. I've stopped holding my breath.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/30/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

FWIW, Bobinski said basically the same thing last year. I've stopped holding my breath.

Totally agree that Versyp has underperformed for quite a few years. Wondering what folks think about the hiring of Melanie Balcomb as an assistant. I know her highest success was a little while back now, but it seems like she could potentially bring some coaching help?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/30/19 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

Mi

Totally agree that Versyp has underperformed for quite a few years. Wondering what folks think about the hiring of Melanie Balcomb as an assistant. I know her highest success was a little while back now, but it seems like she could potentially bring some coaching help?

How many teams has Balcomb assisted on since she left Vandy?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/01/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

Balcomb is probably a better hire than your average assistant, and I appreciate the Versyp has gone out of her own tree (as it is) for the last couple of hires. That said, the problem is at the top and has been for years. Changing assistants feels a bit like rearranging chairs on the Titanic at this point.

As a reminder, Versyp has never had a players has recruited drafted. Versyp has never take a team of her own players to the Sweet 16.

Ever.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/01/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
UVM ought to be on this list. They haven’t had a winning season since Sharon Dawley left a decade ago, and promoting a losing AC to a losing IC to HC doesn’t look like a winning strategy to me. The AD seriously needs a kick in the *** to clean house.

I agree that the program has fallen of the rails from its position a decade ago. But since this thread is about coaches on the hot seat. I don't see how an interim coach that won more games than anybody at the school since 2010 and was given the full time gig as a result should be considered as on the hot seat. Indeed it seems that Alisa Kresge could be just what the program needs. She was an assistant at Marist for several years and it seems as if the Red Foxes have gone down a bit since she left. I don't know if there is any cause and effect there, but I would think that she might be someone who could build back the program.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/08/19 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
As a reminder, Versyp has never had a players has recruited drafted. Versyp has never take a team of her own players to the Sweet 16.

Versyp took over in 2006. with her first season as Purdue's HC being 2006-2007.

In terms of her recruiting (players who signed with Purdue while she was/is the head coach), there have been 13 recruiting classes (including the 2019 class).

As far as I can tell, her best players, in terms of recruiting rankings, were:

--- Sam Ostarello (2009 - HG #15)
--- Dominique McBryde (2015 - HG #30)
--- Tiara Murphy (2015 - HG #31)
--- Lamina Cooper (2015 - HG #41)
--- Ae'Rianna Harris (2016 - HG #20)
--- Kayana Traylor (2018 - HG #41)
--- Rickie Woltman (2019 - HG #25)

Only 7 signees have been ranked in the top 50 of the ESPN/Hoopgulz/Dan Olson rankings (two others --- Samantha Woods in the HS Class of 2007 and Brittany Rayburn in the HS Class of 2008 --- were ranked 51st in their respective classes).

And yes, ESPN/Hoopgurlz/Dan Olson is only one such rating service -- and I believe it has been publishing the WBB HS player rankings since approximately 2007.

But, as a comparison, Purdue used to pull in players ranked in the top ten of Blue Star Report's and ASGR's respective rankings (Kelly Komara - 1998; Erica Valek - 2000; Cherrise Graham - 2000), as well as McDonald's All-Americans (Katie Gearlds - 2003; Erin Lawless - 2003).
*** Side note -- 2002 was the first year that a MCDAA game was held for girls HS basketball players.

As far as I can tell, in the 13 recruiting classes signed by Sharon Versyp, she has never had a McDonald's All-American player commit to her out of high school. The only MCDAA player who came into her program (not counting Gearlds and Lawless, whom she inherited) was Drey Mingo, who transferred from Maryland.

Versyp's best seasons (2006-07 and 2008-09, in which her teams made the Elite Eight both years) had the benefit of another coach's players in some part.

--- In the last 10 years, she has finished in the top three of the Big Ten once.
--- In the last 10 years, her teams have averaged 13 losses per season.
--- In the last five years, her teams have averaged 14.8 losses per season.
--- In 9 seasons as HC, Lin Dunn had a total of 68 losses (against 206 wins). In 7 seasons as HC, Kristy Curry had a total of 51 losses (against 179 wins). But in the last 4 years, Sharon Versyp has had 54 losses -- and 74 losses in the last 5 years.

The inability to sign elite talent (MCDAAs, top 25 players) -- or at least top 40/50 talent -- has led to a once-proud Purdue program and a contender on the national stage for the better part of 16 years before Versyp's arrival to mediocrity at best.

While Purdue returns its top five scorers from 2018-19, that team went 19-15 (8-10 in the Big Ten). I cannot see Versyp surviving another year, absent a top ten recruiting class nationally, a top-three Big Ten finish, and a Sweet 16 berth (or at least being given one of the top four seeds in a region).

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/08/19 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

In terms of her recruiting (players who signed with Purdue while she was/is the head coach), there have been 13 recruiting classes (including the 2019 class).

Only 7 signees have been ranked in the top 50 of the ESPN/Hoopgulz/Dan Olson rankings (two others --- Samantha Woods in the HS Class of 2007 and Brittany Rayburn in the HS Class of 2008 --- were ranked 51st in their respective classes).

And yes, ESPN/Hoopgurlz/Dan Olson is only one such rating service -- and I believe it has been publishing the WBB HS player rankings since approximately 2007.

But, as a comparison, Purdue used to pull in players ranked in the top ten of Blue Star Report's and ASGR's respective rankings (Kelly Komara - 1998; Erica Valek - 2000; Cherrise Graham - 2000), as well as McDonald's All-Americans (Katie Gearlds - 2003; Erin Lawless - 2003).
*** Side note -- 2002 was the first year that a MCDAA game was held for girls HS basketball players.

As far as I can tell, in the 13 recruiting classes signed by Sharon Versyp, she has never had a McDonald's All-American player commit to her out of high school. The only MCDAA player who came into her program (not counting Gearlds and Lawless, whom she inherited) was Drey Mingo, who transferred from Maryland.

Versyp's best seasons (2006-07 and 2008-09, in which her teams made the Elite Eight both years) had the benefit of another coach's players in some part.

--- In the last 10 years, she has finished in the top three of the Big Ten once.
--- In 9 seasons as HC, Lin Dunn had a total of 68 losses (against 206 wins). In 7 seasons as HC, Kristy Curry had a total of 51 losses (against 179 wins). But in the last 4 years, Sharon Versyp has had 54 losses -- and 74 losses in the last 5 years.

The inability to sign elite talent (MCDAAs, top 25 players) -- or at least top 40/50 talent -- has led to a once-proud Purdue program and a contender on the national stage for the better part of 16 years before Versyp's arrival to mediocrity at best.

While Purdue returns its top five scorers from 2018-19, that team went 19-15 (8-10 in the Big Ten). I cannot see Versyp surviving another year, absent a top ten recruiting class nationally, a top-three Big Ten finish, and a Sweet 16 berth (or at least being given one of the top four seeds in a region).

One tough thing for Purdue, in regards to recruiting, is that in state prospect Skylar Diggins completely changed Muffet's program. Yes, she won a NC in 2001, but for a good ten years was really just a mediocre at best team. As a result, most of the best Indiana talent chose ND instead of Purdue. In the late 90's, early 2000's a lot of those top in state players went to Purdue. In addition, Louisville is probably poaching some of the areas that Louisville might've had success in too.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/09/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brandon Schneider met with his boss, reveals that his 5 year contract (of which he's in year 5) was extended two years, and talks about the need for a culture change

http://m.kusports.com/news/2019/may/08/ku-womens-basketball-coach-brandon-schneider-belie/?templates=mobile

He's five years into Kansas and now he's talking about culture change?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/09/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

One tough thing for Purdue, in regards to recruiting, is that in state prospect Skylar Diggins completely changed Muffet's program. Yes, she won a NC in 2001, but for a good ten years was really just a mediocre at best team. As a result, most of the best Indiana talent chose ND instead of Purdue. In the late 90's, early 2000's a lot of those top in state players went to Purdue. In addition, Louisville is probably poaching some of the areas that Louisville might've had success in too.

But Diggins impact at Notre Dame coincides with Versyp killing Purdue. Neither should be seen as taking place in a vacuum - Purdue's fall has helped ND as much as ND's rise has hurt Purdue. Maybe more.

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/09/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Brandon Schneider met with his boss, reveals that his 5 year contract (of which he's in year 5) was extended two years, and talks about the need for a culture change

http://m.kusports.com/news/2019/may/08/ku-womens-basketball-coach-brandon-schneider-belie/?templates=mobile

He's five years into Kansas and now he's talking about culture change?

I'm surprised he's been there that long and continue to openly wonder why Kansas can't win in women's basketball, save for Bonnie's odd years when she took them to back-to-back Sweet 16s.

More recently, I do feel because Brandon and co. were screwed by the Duncanville girls who de-committed and went to Tennessee (Zay Green) and Houston (can't recall her name).

They just need a lucky break with some of these incoming players.

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/09/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

But Diggins impact at Notre Dame coincides with Versyp killing Purdue. Neither should be seen as taking place in a vacuum - Purdue's fall has helped ND as much as ND's rise has hurt Purdue. Maybe more.

Have to wonder, does the rise of Indiana under Teri Moren also factor in? She has Miss Indiana coming in this year and is getting nice traction with in-state recruits.

Meanwhile, Michigan and Michigan State have also recruited pretty well in Indiana more recently, so it seems there are several factors that have led to Purdue's demise. Losing committed recruits post Curry (ew) coaching change with Harris and TaShia Phillips to Xavier didn't help - Alex Bentley chose Penn State, I'm sure there are many more players that chose to go elsewhere.

As mentioned before, in the last decade, Louisville and Kentucky have also taken some Indiana talent south to their schools.

You all know better than I but it is interesting. Purdue used to have a lock on a lot of the talent in the region.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: