Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 04/28/19 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Well, I think we can all assume that the Chelsea Gray trade was not forced, but rather just plain stupidity.

The Sun did get Jonquel Jones in that deal

The Sun could've kept Gray and drafted Jones instead of Banham or Tuck.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/28/19 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After hearing more and more about this trade, I’m actually feeling better about it. Chiney has a serious issue with injuries for one thing. She missed 2 full seasons out of 5 since entering the WNBA. Yes, she bounced back great from both injures. She has also stated over the years that the WNBA wasn’t top priority with her. And since she’s been working for ESPN, THAT has become her top priority. They said that the NBA offered her more jobs which they said would possibly keep Chiney from playing some or all of the upcoming season. So she told the Sun to trade her to the Sparks so she can play with her sister and still work for ESPN in LA or else she’d just retire from the WNBA. So sure, the Sun had no choice. They could either say no, and then Chiney wouldn’t play anymore, thus, getting nothing in return for her. So they said yes, and shipped her off the LA for their 2020 first rounder. Could the Sun have gotten more? Maybe and maybe not. I have a very strong feeling that Chiney demanded this trade to the Sparks so she can play her final WNBA season with her sister, which has always been what the Ogwumike sure always wanted anyways. I believe that after this upcoming season, Chiney announces her retirement from the WNBA so she can work with the NBA/ESPN full time. That’s why the Sparks would only give the Sun their first round pick next year, because they know they are only getting one season out of Chiney. Miller said he’d rather have the draft pick anyways so he can draft the player he wants next season instead of getting a possible disgruntled player in a trade that might mess up his teams chemistry. The Sun’s chemistry as a team is top notch despite what some say. Sure they got rid of Alex Bentley last year after a fight with Courtney Williams. But Bentley has never been that happy about being in CT right from the start. So the Sun shipped her out, and kept the better player in Courtney Williams which was the 100% right move. The Sun didn’t lose much of anything with cutting Bentley out.

Also, it was quite obvious that Chiney and JJ didn’t fit together on the court very well. This moves JJ back into the starting lineup full time where she should have been last season. We’ve seen how well AT & JJ worked together in the starting lineup in 2017. Chiney was also too expensive to keep around when she and everyone else knew that her main priority is being on TV behind a desk. They unloaded her salary which was too high to begin with, there was no way she deserved the salary she was getting. The Sun now have extra money to offer their current players more money next season. Angiwe might not be as good as a player as Chiney was in her rookie season but she certainly has a lot more upside for the Sun than Chiney did. I think Angiwe (am I spelling her name right?) will work out better, she’ll have more playing time now and I believe she’ll turn out to be a very very solid player for the Sun. Well, at least until she demands a trade LOL.

All in all, as long as the Sun stay healthy, I don’t see them being a worse team now that Chiney is gone. They either stay the same, a 20+ win team that could still make a championship run (but will probably fall short in the end), or they’ll win more games and go a little further this year. Losing Chiney hasn’t hurt the team at all. Re-adding her last season certainly didn’t improve the Sun. Most people actually say it hurt the Sun a little.

All in all, it’ll be interesting to see if the 4 & 5 combo of AT and JJ in the starting lineup returns to 2017 form. The Sun will have a 2nd, and now full season with the very dependable backup PG Clarendon, and by this point in their careers, Tuck and Banham are due to have breakout seasons even if they still don’t put up huge minutes.

As for the Sparks, I don’t see how adding Chiney makes them soooo much better. For one thing, her and Nneka are pretty much the same player. How often can the Sparks have a trio of Parker/Ogwumike/Ogwumike on the floor at the same time? It certainly adds depth to their post rotation but they’ve also lost depth in the guard position haven’t they? Carson and Sims are both gone no? And aren’t they going to have to make some more cuts in order to fit the ‘new’ post trio under the salary cap?

On the other hand, it would be funny if the Sparks now trade both Ogwumike sisters to Dallas for Liz Cambage. I mean, the O’s are from Texas afterall.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/28/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes there's nothing like copping a good beat-down on social media to get some much-needed perspective.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/28/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I'm SO HAPPY to be rid of Chiney, but wish they'd gotten a body, in addition to the pick in a shit draft.

Not a fan of Chiney huh? lol

A most annoying personality, imo, especially contrasted to what I've seen from Anigwe.

PostPosted: 04/28/19 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The trade of Chiney does open the door for Anigwe to get a lot of minutes. Sun should look like this:

PG: JThomas/Clarendon
SG: CWilliams/Banham/Carleton
SF: Stricklen/Holmes
PF: AThomas/Anigwe/Tuck
C: JJones/BJones

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/19 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a bad guess, toad.
Looks like you’re favoring Carleton over the higher pick, Hiedeman?
Seemed like Miller was nervous about losing Hiedeman at the #17 pick.
He was trying for the #16 pick to pick up Hiedeman, but Reeve was like, sorry, we need #16 for Shepard. We’d be willing to draft Hiedeman for you at #18 in the trade for Lexie Brown. This isn’t speculation.

Hiedeman seems like an odd choice for Connecticut considering all the combo guards they already have who can play PG.

I wonder if Liberty fans are drooling at the thought of Carleton or Holmes possibly being available on waivers. Watch Spooner’s eyes light up.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 04/28/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun are deep at the guard spot. Unless Holmes is a bust in her return, I don't see Hiedeman making the team. I wouldn't be upset if the Liberty picked her up, though.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/28/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I believe Chiney has a clause in her contract where she has to approve of any trade. So if she want to work in LA I don't think they can trade her to Dallas. Unless she could also work in Dallas as well and approves of the trade.

PostPosted: 04/28/19 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I could be wrong, but I believe Chiney has a clause in her contract where she has to approve of any trade. So if she want to work in LA I don't think they can trade her to Dallas. Unless she could also work in Dallas as well and approves of the trade.

No. There's no such thing as a no-trade clause in this league, except the ones created by offer sheets being matched.

PostPosted: 04/28/19 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Not a bad guess, toad.
Looks like you’re favoring Carleton over the higher pick, Hiedeman?
Seemed like Miller was nervous about losing Hiedeman at the #17 pick.
He was trying for the #16 pick to pick up Hiedeman, but Reeve was like, sorry, we need #16 for Shepard. We’d be willing to draft Hiedeman for you at #18 in the trade for Lexie Brown. This isn’t speculation.

Hiedeman seems like an odd choice for Connecticut considering all the combo guards they already have who can play PG.

I wonder if Liberty fans are drooling at the thought of Carleton or Holmes possibly being available on waivers. Watch Spooner’s eyes light up.

Holmes is a 100% guaranteed lock to make the team. Don’t forget, she’s from New Haven Connecticut, where her entire family lives. She WANTED to play in CT for the Sun. You think Miller is going to waive a player that actually WANTED to play in the CT? Those kinda players are 1 in a million.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/19 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allow="autoplay; fullscreen" src="https://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/v3/anvload.html?key=eyJtIjoiTElOIiwicCI6IiIsInYiOiIzNTczNjA2IiwiYW52YWNrIjoiZ3JEN3pRTjdxeDFKMlVYRzhlVWttU28zbFAxQVJCYW8iLCJzaGFyZUxpbmsiOiJodHRwczovL3d3dy53dG5oLmNvbS9zcG9ydHMvb2d3dW1pa2UtdHJhZGVkLWJ5LXN1bi1yZXVuaXRlZC13aXRoLXNpc3Rlci1pbi1sYS8xOTU5MzUyMzUwIiwicGx1Z2lucyI6eyJkZnAiOnsiY2xpZW50U2lkZSI6eyJhZFRhZ1VybCI6Imh0dHBzOi8vcHViYWRzLmcuZG91YmxlY2xpY2submV0L2dhbXBhZC9hZHM%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%3D%3D" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/28/19 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Holmes but doubt she will be waived

I am not that into Carlton even though it hasn't manifested I have more faith in R. Allen breaking through than Carleton.

Now if Anigwe falls off (again don't see it happening) I would do back flips

stever

PostPosted: 05/05/19 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Bria Holmes back in Connecticut balancing motherhood and WNBA career

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Bria-Holmes-back-in-Connecticut-13821024.php#photo-17349215

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 05/08/19 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brianna Kiesel and Ariel Edwards were waived yesterday to make room on the roster for Thomas/Thomas/Jones who arrived to camp. The entire Sun roster is now in CT and with the entire roster in camp, Miller might as well just cut the rest of the training camp fodder now. Why bother waiting.

J Thomas/Clarendon
Williams/Banham
Stricklen/Holmes
A Thomas/Tuck
J Jones/B Jones/Anigwe

Who else makes the team? I don’t know much about any of them. I guess Emma Cannon is the most likely choice no? Whomever it is will be riding the pine all season.

Emma Cannon 6’2 F
Bridget Carleton 6’1 G
Natisha Hiedeman 5’8 G
Regan Magarity 6’3 F

toad455

PostPosted: 05/08/19 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Cannon has the best chance out of those four. The other spot will be between Carleton & Hiedeman. I wouldn't lock in B Jones. Magarity was a rebounding machine in college and that might give her an edge over B Jones.

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/08/19 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*Training camp/minimum contracts do not count against the cap until season starts and they make team.

Last edited by Genero36 on 05/08/19 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Ay Mate has it broken down pretty well. It looks like what they need is a guard to give the roster some balance.

Now is Miller going to worry about how it looks trading away Brown for a draft pick that he would subsequently cut? Normally a GM would do that, but with Miller, he’s probably used to draft criticism. A little numb to it by now. Hiedeman brings a little more quickness than what he has now in Clarendon, plus three point shooting. Gives them a different look in a backup PG.

Carleton is like a broke man’s Ionescu. She did win the college award for best SF. She could fit in as a big SG.

So for me it’s between those two for the final spot. Tough call to make without seeing what’s going on in camp.

Quote:
I wouldn't lock in B Jones.

I wouldn’t have locked her in before the Chiney trade. But now she’s an easy keeper.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-rookies-at-connecticut-sun-training-camp-20191005-20190511-rsgmyl344rgipoeetqbwqhkmzy-story.html

Quote:
Cutting three players won’t be easy for Miller, especially when so many of his veterans were important in the playoff runs Connecticut made the past two seasons. He’s also been thoroughly impressed with the players he just drafted — Kristine Anigwe, Natisha Hiedeman, Bridget Carleton and Regan Magarity.

Quote:
“I love the rookie class. I can see them all in this league at some point in their careers. The four of them are that talented," Miller said. "Kristine is a fantastic athlete whose head is spinning right now. There’s a lot being thrown at her. Natisha is just an electric play maker, and is really off to a great start in camp.

"Bridget may have had the best day of practice of anyone on our entire roster today. She had a great practice. I keep calling her the Swiss army knife of our team. She does a little bit of everything, so we’re really happy with her. Regan is really smart about facilitating and that’s how we love to play, so all four of them are impacting, and all four of them are proving that they can play at this level.”

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/11/19 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a tough roster for rookies to make, that's for sure.

PostPosted: 05/12/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Cannon has the best chance out of those four. The other spot will be between Carleton & Hiedeman. I wouldn't lock in B Jones. Magarity was a rebounding machine in college and that might give her an edge over B Jones.

Miller seems very very high on B Jones. I don’t see her getting cut. She’ll be on the roster 100%

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 05/14/19 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Hiedeman have a shot at making the final roster?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/14/19 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

There’s a game on right now. Follow the stats and maybe you can decide for yourself.

In my opinion, the last spot on the roster is a battle between Hiedeman and Carleton.

Last edited by Shades on 05/14/19 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 05/14/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

There’s a game on right now. Follow the stats and maybe you can decide for yourself.

I have the stats up now. My guess is she probably will be cut.

Sorry for posting...

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/15/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I have the stats up now. My guess is she probably will be cut.

Sorry for posting...

Don't take Shades' grumpiness personally. He's that way with everyone ...

Every group, it seems, has someone cantankerous who's always willing to say something negative.

PostPosted: 05/15/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ironically spoken by somebody getting negative and personal, which I wasn’t.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: