RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Won’t Twitter Treat White Supremacy Like ISIS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/25/19 12:31 pm    ::: Why Won’t Twitter Treat White Supremacy Like ISIS? Reply Reply with quote

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xgq5/why-wont-twitter-treat-white-supremacy-like-isis-because-it-would-mean-banning-some-republican-politicians-too

Quote:
Society as a whole uncontroversially and unequivocally demanded that Twitter take action against ISIS in the wake of beheading videos spreading far and wide on the platform. The automated approach that Twitter took to eradicating ISIS was successful: “I haven’t seen a legit ISIS supporter on Twitter who lasts longer than 15 seconds for two-and-a-half years,” Amarnath Amarasingam, an extremism researcher at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue

PostPosted: 04/25/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So true. So sad. And so very emblematic of how cultures as a whole are largely smell-blind to the stink of their own shit.

PostPosted: 04/25/19 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At first blush, I'm thinking...."There is a HUGE difference between the 2 entities in question".

Isn't there? (caveat: I do not, and hopefully never will, follow twitter)

The equivalence? The muslim radicals and white supremacists are fueled by hatred.

The difference? One group literally commits ethnic cleansing on a large scale, one kills far fewer people. One is an American group, guaranteed freedom of speech, one is not.

Help me here. Shocked

PostPosted: 04/25/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freedom of speech doesn't mean Twitter is obligated to broadcast it

PostPosted: 04/26/19 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Freedom of speech doesn't mean Twitter is obligated to broadcast it

Yes. Exactly.

I think "free speech" might be one of the most fundamentally misunderstood concepts thrown around today.

Say Twitter were a local Mom and Pop convenience store in a small town. To help communication between locals, they put up a bulletin board where people are free to post messages for one another. Would we feel they would have an obligation to leave up messages that they disliked? Or would people say, it's their place, they can do as they see fit?

What people are free to do, however, is to criticize Twitter (or even the Mom and Pop in my analogy) over which posts they choose to take down and which they choose to leave up. As it is, in fact, their choice. And that is what this article makes clear, that Americans are willing to stand united against ISIS and say that their speech is unacceptable in any form, but we are unwilling to do the same for White Nationalists. We are unwilling to accept these two as equally repugnant...and that is so very sad.

PostPosted: 04/26/19 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, I am not familiar with the machinations of twitter. But here:
Quote:

Americans are willing to stand united against ISIS and say that their speech is unacceptable in any form, but we are unwilling to do the same for White Nationalists. We are unwilling to accept these two as equally repugnant...and that is so very sad.

Who is "we"? Did twitter decide, of its own accord, that isis material was unacceptable? Who is in control of such decisions? I ask cuz, if *I* were in charge, I'd have seen to it that NO political figure could implement my platform for the idiocy that Trump utilizes it for. Who exactly makes this kind of decision? Is it one individual, a board, what?

PostPosted: 04/27/19 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

PostPosted: 04/27/19 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, twitter’s issue is that they would have to stop the tweets of the president of the United States.

I know there is a push for that, but seriously think about the implications of a social media platform blocking the president of the United States..

PostPosted: 04/27/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/26/trump-ilhan-omar-jack-dorsey-tweet-remove

Quote:
Dorsey has said in the past that the public interest value of Trump’s tweets outweigh the harm of his occasional calls for violence or threats against foreign governments or members of the media

“Blocking a world leader from Twitter or removing their controversial tweets would hide important information people should be able to see and debate,” the company explained in statement last year. “It would also not silence that leader, but it would certainly hamper necessary discussion around their words and actions.”

PostPosted: 04/27/19 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/26/trump-ilhan-omar-jack-dorsey-tweet-remove

Quote:
Dorsey has said in the past that the public interest value of Trump’s tweets outweigh the harm of his occasional calls for violence or threats against foreign governments or members of the media

"Public interest value". Is that code for $$$ revenues generated, or is it implying a "value" to a free democracy?
Dorsey's quote:
Quote:

But since it came from Trump, and not an average Twitter user, there was nothing Dorsey could do, he said.

So such decisions on: isis tweets, white supremacist tweets, presidential tweets, are not strictly his alone to make..."there was nothing (he) could do". Different tweeters have different levels of power/value that may exceed Dorsey's control. Well, THAT's perfectly American.

PostPosted: 05/02/19 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Instagram and Facebook Ban Far-Right Extremists

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/05/instagram-and-facebook-ban-far-right-extremists/588607/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: