RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ACC-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/25/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Now, who are Notre Dame's starters for 2019-20?

Right now it's pretty much impossible to tell.

I'd say definitely Grad transfer Destinee Walker, Vaughn, and probably Prohaska, with Nixon, Gilbert, Brunelle, and Peoples in the mix for the remaining spots.

I think Walker is FAR from "definite". She hasn't played in two years. I expect Vaughn is a lock at 5, Gilbert is likely at 3, Prohaska is nearly a lock at 2, and the point is between Nixon, Peoples and Walker with Nixon probably leading at this time. Taking Patterson's 4 spot is the biggest question mark. Brunelle and Cosgrove are really the only options unless there is another immediately eligible transfer, which wouldn't shock me.

I'd love to see Janelle Bailey decide to bail out on UNC and head to South Bend. With the coaching upheaval, she'd probably get a waiver and play right away.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/26/19 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is an article where Patterson discusses her reasons for transferring a bit:

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/danielle-patterson-discusses-decision-to-leave-notre-dame/article_36160823-0b6c-5f71-95ce-090b29f9a466.html

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/26/19 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Now, who are Notre Dame's starters for 2019-20?

Right now it's pretty much impossible to tell.

I'd say definitely Grad transfer Destinee Walker, Vaughn, and probably Prohaska, with Nixon, Gilbert, Brunelle, and Peoples in the mix for the remaining spots.

I think Walker is FAR from "definite". She hasn't played in two years. I expect Vaughn is a lock at 5, Gilbert is likely at 3, Prohaska is nearly a lock at 2, and the point is between Nixon, Peoples and Walker with Nixon probably leading at this time. Taking Patterson's 4 spot is the biggest question mark. Brunelle and Cosgrove are really the only options unless there is another immediately eligible transfer, which wouldn't shock me.

I'd love to see Janelle Bailey decide to bail out on UNC and head to South Bend. With the coaching upheaval, she'd probably get a waiver and play right away.

From what I've seen, if I was Muffett, I would start Peoples from Day 1 and let her grow into her role. She is a very, very good player.

Now-I'm the furthest thing from a ND fan that one can be, but I'm somewhat fascinated by what is going on in South Bend. I don't think we've ever seen anything like this in WCBB. It will be the same school, but the furthest thing from the same team. With that being said, I expect them to be a S16 team next year just because Muffett is that good.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/26/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Here is an article where Patterson discusses her reasons for transferring a bit:

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/danielle-patterson-discusses-decision-to-leave-notre-dame/article_36160823-0b6c-5f71-95ce-090b29f9a466.html

Odd ... if playing time was the issue, it wouldn't be this coming season. If playing time isn't the issue, then what was?

PostPosted: 04/26/19 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Patterson said there are “a lot of different reasons” for her transfer beyond playing time and player development, but did not want to “go into specifics.”

Broken promises from the recruiting process. Hard to gain the trust of a McD player again after two years of broken promises.

Quote:
When she committed to Notre Dame, her other finalists, per ESPN, were Tennessee, St. John’s and Virginia.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/26/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems Patterson would be the big fish at Virginia or St. John's, should there still be mutual interest. Obviously Boyle is gone from UVA, but some of her other assistants who may have been involved in her recruitment are still in Charlottesville.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 04/26/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Seems Patterson would be the big fish at Virginia or St. John's, should there still be mutual interest. Obviously Boyle is gone from UVA, but some of her other assistants who may have been involved in her recruitment are still in Charlottesville.

I don't think she would go to Virginia due to the ACCs transfer rules. I think she would lose a year of elegibility.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/26/19 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Broken promises from the recruiting process. Hard to gain the trust of a McD player again after two years of broken promises.

And other than your drunken fantasies, your source for this is what exactly?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/26/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Now-I'm the furthest thing from a ND fan that one can be, but I'm somewhat fascinated by what is going on in South Bend. I don't think we've ever seen anything like this in WCBB. It will be the same school, but the furthest thing from the same team. With that being said, I expect them to be a S16 team next year just because Muffett is that good.

Probably the closest to this would be UT after Candace Parker left. As you might recall, she left with a year of eligibility left (I thought she left after her junior year, but looking it up, she redshirted her freshman year, which I forgot). The other 4 seniors were graduating and she left with them. Unfortunately, this is not a great example for ND given that UT lost in the 1st round of the NCAAs for the first time ever the next year.

The 1997 ND team lost 4 starters from their first Final Four team, but still had Mollie Peirick (who played SG, but was kind of a combo PG/SG).

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/26/19 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

From what I've seen, if I was Muffett, I would start Peoples from Day 1 and let her grow into her role. She is a very, very good player.

I'm sure she's going to get lots of playing time, especially considering that ND is going to be down to 8 scholarship players (so far) to start the season, and it won't be a situation where you have 5 definitely established players who are much more experienced than everyone else on the team. Considering the overall youth of the team, McGraw will likely also be allowing the players to learn from their mistakes on the court more (instead of taking them out if they start to mess up).

tfan

PostPosted: 04/26/19 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Odd ... if playing time was the issue, it wouldn't be this coming season. If playing time isn't the issue, then what was?

It needs to be established how much a McDonald's All-American expects to play her junior year, after playing 12.x and 10.6 minutes per game her first two years. McGraw only told her she'd have a chance to play more. She probably wants to start and play most of the game. If McGraw continues going with a "ride the starters" style, Patterson would be back at 10 to 13 minutes of playing (and 4 total minutes at the 2019 Final Four) if she doesn't start over the other posts [Vaughn/Brunelle/Cosgrove]. McGraw could even go small and use four wings and Patterson not be the chosen post.

Quote:
“She did say I would be stepping into a leadership position and would have the chance to (play more),” Patterson said of McGraw, “but that’s as far as it went.”

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/27/19 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
PRballer wrote:

I don't think she would go to Virginia due to the ACCs transfer rules. I think she would lose a year of elegibility.

ACC changed rule this year

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 04/27/19 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
PRballer wrote:

ACC changed rule this year

I was going with the article which she stated it wasn’t an option for her.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 05/03/19 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little ND news. Kaitlin Cole, the walkon who played the most in the 2017-18 season (and played in the 1st half of the 2nd round game vs Villanova) but who missed last season due to a knee injury, has just been given a scholarship for her senior season.

According to Ivey's instagram:

https://pikdo.net/u/irishcoachivey/146203518

BTW, for those who like Game of Thrones:

https://pikdo.net/p/irishcoachivey/2022736758677421104_146203518

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/22/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame has two grad transfer for 2019-20.

-- Destinee Walker (UNC)
-- Marta Sniezek (Stanford)

Howee

PostPosted: 05/22/19 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Notre Dame has two grad transfer for 2019-20.

-- Destinee Walker (UNC)
-- Marta Sniezek (Stanford)

Glad to see Marta land in a strong program. Cool

PostPosted: 05/29/19 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia Cavaliers will sport a different but yet interesting roster.

Mone Jones and Shakyna Payne graduated. Shakyna decided to use her graduate transfer to enroll at Middle Tennessee.

Brianna Tinsley transferred to James Madison. Erica Martinsen transferred to San Diego.

I'm not sure if Khyasia Caldwell is going to remain on the roster as her name has apparently disappeared.

That left the roster with 6 players on the roster. They are Dominique Toussaint, Felicia Aiyeotan, Lisa Jablonowski, Jocelyn Willoughby, Amandine Toi and Purdue transfer Dani Lawson.

Assistant Coaches LaKeshia Frett-Meredith and Jama Sharp was replaced with Walter Pitts and Monica Wright.

But help is on the way. Virginia has 6 recruits coming in with Meg Jefferson, Carole Miller, Kylie Kornegay-Lucas, Yanni Hendley, Dylan Horton and Shemera Williams.

I really don't know what will happen with this team in the upcoming season. But obviously, other players must step up if they want to make this a successful season for the team and the coaches.

R-

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/29/19 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

And other than your drunken fantasies, your source for this is what exactly?

I agree. Posting opinions as fact, without any foundation or bases for said opinion.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/23/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the kickoff of the ACCnetwork, Debbie Antonelli put forth her pick for the women's basketball top teams.

1 Louisville
2 North Carolina State University
3 Florida State university
4 University Miami
5 Duke university

ridor

PostPosted: 08/23/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Thompson has planned 2019-20 non-conference schedule - it is quite brutal. Not sure where it will take the Cavaliers ...

They will play Bucknell, @Southern Cal, @CSUN, Kentucky, @UConn, ODU, JMU & UCLA in Cavalier Classic, at Rutgers and Duel in the Desert in Las Vegas: UNLV and possibly Mississippi State or South Florida.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/23/19 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Notre Dame?

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/24/19 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
With the kickoff of the ACCnetwork, Debbie Antonelli put forth her pick for the women's basketball top teams.

1 Louisville
4 University Miami
5 Duke university

How did she leave Syracuse off the list? To me, if Mangakahia can play, could win the ACC.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/24/19 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

1 Louisville
4 University Miami
5 Duke university

How did she leave Syracuse off the list? To me, if Mangakahia can play, could win the ACC.

I believe Syracuse has already announced that Mangakahia is sitting out this year to battle cancer.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/25/19 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

1 Louisville
4 University Miami
5 Duke university

I believe Syracuse has already announced that Mangakahia is sitting out this year to battle cancer.

They have? I live in Syracuse and I haven't heard a thing....

Matt5762

PostPosted: 08/25/19 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

They have? I live in Syracuse and I haven't heard a thing....

http://dailyorange.com/2019/08/tiana-mangakahia-miss-next-season-amid-battle-breast-cancer/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: