RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor accepts invitation to visit White House
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/24/19 2:28 pm    ::: Baylor accepts invitation to visit White House Reply Reply with quote

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/04/24/ncaa-womens-basketball-champion-baylor-accepts-invitation-visit-white-house

Quote:
Baylor will be the first solo women's team to be honored at the White House during Trump's presidency

PostPosted: 04/24/19 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the players can individually opt out? #45 has never invited any WNBA champs.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Figures that a Baptist school from a red state would say yes ...

Does Baylor still officially ban lesbians and gays? I think they got past the no-dancing stance.

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Figures that a Baptist school from a red state would say yes

They were the first ones asked

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There has never been a shortage of asshole presidents. The honor is in being invited to the white house. Good for Baylor. As simple a thing as a photo with you and the president sitting on your desk or on the wall at work can make your career.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/24/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprised there. Many people over at Baylor worships Trump.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/24/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
There has never been a shortage of asshole presidents. The honor is in being invited to the white house. Good for Baylor. As simple a thing as a photo with you and the president sitting on your desk or on the wall at work can make your career.

...as for the cheap, greasy junk food that he serves to college sports champions (as he did after Clemson won the college football championship), maybe not so much! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/24/19 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

("The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw---GREAT quote, Steve! Laughing )

I'd be a bit surprised if Kim HADN'T voted for Trump....don't like her any less for it, but ya....hopefully, she's gotten input from the players themselves, and they're doing what they want.
ClayK wrote:
Does Baylor still officially ban lesbians and gays?

Maybe, in some *philosophy* or student behavior guidelines?? But then....don't Notre Dame/Incarnate Word/Brigham Young/Mt. St. Mary's/Liberty/Loyola/etc., etc., all do the same? Moot point, no?

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Or break it.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
("The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw---GREAT quote, Steve! Laughing )

I'd be a bit surprised if Kim HADN'T voted for Trump....don't like her any less for it, but ya....hopefully, she's gotten input from the players themselves, and they're doing what they want.
ClayK wrote:

Maybe, in some *philosophy* or student behavior guidelines?? But then....don't Notre Dame/Incarnate Word/Brigham Young/Mt. St. Mary's/Liberty/Loyola/etc., etc., all do the same? Moot point, no?

I don't think that ND is as conservative as people think. I know that Muffet isn't. She's endorsing a man that is married to another man for president!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

ClayK wrote:

I don't think that ND is as conservative as people think. I know that Muffet isn't. She's endorsing a man that is married to another man for president!

She may well have that perspective, but....she still is employed by/represents an institution within the RCC, which openly disavows gay sex. Which is the point Clay was making about Baylor.

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

You can't know anything at all about Baylor and say that. You'd be hard pressed to find a Republican on faculty outside the business school, and I doubt there's a business school prof anywhere who'd vote for Trump.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Figures that a Baptist school from a red state would say yes

They were the first ones asked

Baylor breaks through the glass ceiling of the White House. How about that?

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/24/19 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

You can't know anything at all about Baylor and say that. You'd be hard pressed to find a Republican on faculty outside the business school, and I doubt there's a business school prof anywhere who'd vote for Trump.

I guess the bridge in Brooklyn can still be sold.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/24/19 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

ClayK wrote:

She may well have that perspective, but....she still is employed by/represents an institution within the RCC, which openly disavows gay sex. Which is the point Clay was making about Baylor.

I still say that ND isn't as conservative as some here think.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/24/19 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

ClayK wrote:

I hate Muffy, that's all I know

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/24/19 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

A career made by having a picture of that traitorous motherfucker on the wall is no career of value. Imo. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/24/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

ClayK wrote:

So, are you saying that ND is NOT in accordance with RCC theology and moral standards? Cuz that's perfectly possible, and even practically reasonable. But then, so too--perhaps Baylor's theology and moral standards are not as conservative as some here might think. Not easy to know.

PostPosted: 04/24/19 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

ClayK wrote:

So, are you saying that ND is NOT in accordance with RCC theology and moral standards? Cuz that's perfectly possible, and even practically reasonable. But then, so too--perhaps Baylor's theology and moral standards are not as conservative as some here might think. Not easy to know.

Notre Dame is not anti-gay. Gay and lesbian student groups have been recognized as student clubs for years now. Wasn't the case when I attended in the 80's (they weren't formerly acknowledged as clubs then, but that changed many years ago). Notre Dame is very socially conscious. The Roman Catholic church has very little influence in Notre Dame politics.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/24/19 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The politics of schools is an interesting issue. Of the schools listed I would say that BYU and Liberty are the schools that most impose their theology on their students. From what I understand Baylor is also fairly strict in that regard, as evidenced by Britney Griner not being allowed to come out while she was there. Baylor is also the school that hired Kenneth Starr as its president. Notre Dame appears to be far different, maintaining a strict Catholic position at the administrative level but being much more accommodating in terms of its students and faculty. If I remember correctly ND had covered contraception for its employees under its health plan prior to Obamacare.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/25/19 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:

A career made by having a picture of that traitorous motherfucker on the wall is no career of value. Imo. Laughing

As Rick Wilson so aptly notes, #ETTD (Everything Trump Touches Dies). Great book btw.

Not sure why any self-respecting woman (or man) would want to be seen in the company of the mendacious, racist, narcissistic megalomaniac grifter
Trump.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/25/19 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's so encouraging to see such tolerance being displayed on this thread. I am sure everyone posting here believes in tolerance without a doubt.

PostPosted: 04/25/19 4:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

ClayK wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9bUC7jqAs

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/25/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:

ClayK wrote:

I don't know what ND's 'official' positions on those topics are. I'll go with FA's take for that.

I've lived in the area for ~35 years. For 32 of those years I've made 20+ visits to campus a year. Some years 30+ visits. My local tv comes from SB. I see ND covered on the news. I see ads for events on campus. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I wouldn't know that they are a catholic/religiously affiliated school. I hardly ever notice a religious component to them.

Yeah, they talked about the Basilica and Grotto on the news last night, but that was because there is upcoming construction that will cause traffic issues, I think. Every now and then I'll hear about a special mass taking place.

And if my former doctor who did her undergrad at ND (I'm guessing mid to late 70's) isn't a lesbian, I'll be shocked!!!!!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/25/19 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The politics of schools is an interesting issue. Of the schools listed I would say that BYU and Liberty are the schools that most impose their theology on their students. From what I understand Baylor is also fairly strict in that regard, as evidenced by Britney Griner not being allowed to come out while she was there.* Baylor is also the school that hired Kenneth Starr as its president. Notre Dame appears to be far different, maintaining a strict Catholic position at the administrative level but being much more accommodating in terms of its students and faculty. If I remember correctly ND had covered contraception for its employees under its health plan prior to Obamacare.

This is the gist of my point, originally in response to Clay's casting aspersions on Baylor's intolerance. Schools can have religious origins/affiliations, but enforce their ideological tenets in varying degrees. Baylor isn't the ONLY school in the conversation.

I've never thought of ND as 'anti-gay'.....and isn't it a bit sad that its tolerance IS in fact, diametrically opposed to its religious origins? Maybe The Church will catch up with ND one day. Cool

(*I'm thinking Britney didn't HAFTA 'come out'....and they never actually crucified her. But....didn't a former player--Emily something?--feel backlash from their 'rules'?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: