Board Junkies Forums

CBS Sports signs multiyear deal with WNBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 04/22/19 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Of the 40 games to be broadcast, I noticed that only one features New York and it's an away game in Phoenix. Does this mean MSG will be airing all Liberty games and blocking CBS Sports?

MSG doesn't own the Liberty anymore. Have they said that they're still broadcasting the games? That would surprise me.

They shouldn't be. Been waiting to hear who's broadcasting their games. The Brooklyn Nets are typically on YES Network(owned by the Yankees), so if there's a Yankees game on at the same time(which more than likely there will be), will they put the Liberty on another channel(is there a YES2 channel?)?

though I just noticed no team has announced a local broadcast schedule yet. Probably sometime in early May I would guess.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
rykhala

PostPosted: 04/22/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will NBATV broadcast any WNBA games this season? I can't find any reference to this season's WNBA on NBATV's meager website.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 04/22/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun announce 7 games on CBS Sports:

https://sun.wnba.com/news/sun-set-for-7-games-on-cbs-sports-as-part-of-new-wnba-deal/

List of CBS Sports schedule of games (from Sun Website)

2019 CBS SPORTS NETWORK WNBA SCHEDULE(ALL TIMES EASTERN)

Saturday, May 25 Minnesota at Chicago 8:00 PM
Tuesday, May 28 Connecticut at Indiana 7:00 PM
Wednesday, May 29 Seattle at Minnesota 8:00 PM
Friday, May 31 Seattle at Atlanta 7:30 PM
Wednesday, June 5 Chicago at Washington 7:00 PM
Thursday, June 6 Las Vegas at Atlanta 7:00 PM
Friday, June 7 Dallas at Indiana 7:00 PM
Tuesday, June 11 Washington at Connecticut 7:00 PM
Thursday, June 13 Indiana at Dallas 8:00 PM
Friday, June 14 Seattle at Washington 7:00 PM
Los Angeles at Phoenix 10:00 PM
Tuesday, June 18 Washington at Los Angeles 10:30 PM
Thursday, June 20 Phoenix at Dallas 8:00 PM
Washington at Las Vegas 10:00 PM
Friday, June 21 Los Angeles at Seattle 10:30 PM
Tuesday, June 25 Minnesota at Indiana 7:00 PM
Thursday, June 27 Las Vegas at Los Angeles 10:30 PM
Friday, June 28 Indiana at Phoenix 10:00 PM
Saturday, June 29 Indiana at Las Vegas 10:30 PM
Tuesday, July 2 Atlanta at Minnesota 8:00 PM
Friday, July 5 Indiana at Dallas 8:00 PM
New York at Phoenix 10:00 PM
Wednesday, July 10 Minnesota at Chicago 9:00 PM
Friday, July 12 Dallas at Seattle 10:00 PM
Saturday, July 13 Las Vegas at Washington 7:00 PM
Friday, July 19 Washington at Indiana 7:00 PM
Wednesday, July 31 Atlanta at Indiana 7:00 PM
Thursday, Aug. 1 Phoenix at Connecticut 7:00 PM
Thursday, Aug. 8 Indiana at Washington 7:00 PM
Friday, Aug. 9 Connecticut at Minnesota 8:00 PM
Chicago at Las Vegas 10:30 PM
Saturday, Aug. 10 Atlanta at Indiana 3:00 PM
Wednesday, Aug. 14 Connecticut at Phoenix 10:00 PM
Friday, Aug. 16 Los Angeles at Chicago 8:00 PM
Atlanta at. Phoenix 10:00 PM
Thursday, Aug. 22 Indiana at Los Angeles 10:30 PM
Friday, Aug. 23 Las Vegas at Connecticut 7:30 PM
Wednesday, Sept. 4 Dallas at Connecticut 7:00 PM
Thursday, Sept. 5 Las Vegas at Atlanta 7:30 PM
Seattle at Los Angeles 10:00

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/22/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting a CBS broadcast team can't happen a moment too soon ...

I'm hoping, at least, that there are no more radio/TV simulcasts, especially with just one announcer. And that we don't get the arena feed so that we see what's on the scoreboard ...

Even then, too many of the local broadcasts are simply not done that well. The stations don't invest much money in the talent, as they are loosely called, and the production values reflect that lack of investment. But maybe being on national TV will inspire all those local folks to up their game ...

PostPosted: 04/22/19 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Getting a CBS broadcast team can't happen a moment too soon ...

I'm hoping, at least, that there are no more radio/TV simulcasts, especially with just one announcer. And that we don't get the arena feed so that we see what's on the scoreboard ...

Even then, too many of the local broadcasts are simply not done that well. The stations don't invest much money in the talent, as they are loosely called, and the production values reflect that lack of investment. But maybe being on national TV will inspire all those local folks to up their game ...

Not this season it seems. "CBS Sports will use local broadcast feeds for now, similar to what NBA TV does in showing WNBA games. NBA TV showed 49 games last year."

Source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/sky-to-have-5-games-broadcasted-on-cbs-sports-in-2019-as-part-of-new-deal/

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/22/19 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Of the 40 games to be broadcast, I noticed that only one features New York and it's an away game in Phoenix. Does this mean MSG will be airing all Liberty games and blocking CBS Sports?

MSG doesn't own the Liberty anymore. Have they said that they're still broadcasting the games? That would surprise me.

I've asked this very question no reply

PostPosted: 04/22/19 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If We Need To Talk wasn't already appointment viewing for me, it sure is now.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/22/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One small change that I noticed, the first game that’s listed says Minnesota at Chicago. But on my season tickets schedule, it says the Lynx are at home for that game. I don’t know if that affects League pass broadcasts either.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/22/19 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
One small change that I noticed, the first game that’s listed says Minnesota at Chicago. But on my season tickets schedule, it says the Lynx are at home for that game. I don’t know if that affects League pass broadcasts either.

That's just the usual level of accuracy and attention to detail that we've come to expect from WNBA press releases. The game's in Minnesota.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer the local broadcast teams to the national ones. Less likely to be shouting at in an announcer's voice or gushing dramatically about the players. Like to hear more normal voices without over-excitement.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/23/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I prefer the local broadcast teams to the national ones. Less likely to be shouting at in an announcer's voice or gushing dramatically about the players. Like to hear more normal voices without over-excitement.

You must have never seen a SEA local broadcast.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 04/23/19 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:

You must have never seen a SEA local broadcast.

In thinking about it, these "less hyped" local broadcasters that I have in my mind may be a thing of the past. One that struck me, in particular, was in Minnesota and the color announcer was an ex-Lynx. But that could have been 10 or 15 years ago that I am remembering. I also may be conflating the local teams you hear on ESPN3 (WatchESPN) for local college WBB, with the local WNBA broadcast teams. LaChina Robinson has the "doesn't shout or go ape-shit crazy" style I prefer. But I guess the play-by-play announcer has some amount of that in their job description.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seriously doubt these games will be excluded from League Pass. The ESPN games are blacked out on League Pass but they are available on Watch ESPN, along with other games in their time slot. I suspect these games will be treated in the same way as the You Tube games.

Also, despite the increased visibility, I doubt there is any significant money associated with the deal.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I seriously doubt these games will be excluded from League Pass. The ESPN games are blacked out on League Pass but they are available on Watch ESPN, along with other games in their time slot. I suspect these games will be treated in the same way as the You Tube games.

Also, despite the increased visibility, I doubt there is any significant money associated with the deal.

According to Voepel, the League has told her the CBS Sports games won't be simulcast on League Pass:
https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1120782343093063680
https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1120839751597285378

Hopefully that only applies to you lot in the US, in the same way as the ESPN games in recent years.

PostPosted: 04/25/19 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN has 16 games. 3 on ABC, 2 ESPN and 11 ESPN2 i think(too lazy to find the link at this early hour) Last year they had 13 games.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Further Voepel investigation led to the Twitter thread that starts here: https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1121815296195665922

Basically, to watch CBS Sports games live in the US or Canada, you'll need that TV channel or their TV Everywhere app (which I presume also requires a subscription). Outside the US and Canada the games should work on League Pass in the same way that the ESPN/ABC games have in recent years. Everything gets archived on League Pass for later viewing.

PostPosted: 04/26/19 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least have Indiana vs New York or Washington vs Phoenix not Washington vs Indiana As long as The teams are roughly even the games are worth my time. Oh who am I kidding I will watch them anyway

Shades

PostPosted: 05/15/19 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rykhala wrote:
Will NBATV broadcast any WNBA games this season? I can't find any reference to this season's WNBA on NBATV's meager website.

The Lynx produced what I assume is a final broadcast schedule with no NBA TV on it. It’s looking like CBS Sports is just taking over the NBA TV games. To me that means they’re not necessarily reaching more eyeballs, just different eyeballs. Will losing visibility on NBA TV be a good thing?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 05/15/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s looking like CBS Sports is just taking over the NBA TV games. To me that means they’re not necessarily reaching more eyeballs, just different eyeballs. Will losing visibility on NBA TV be a good thing?

This is older data but from a similar time period, per Wikipedia:

Quote:
As of May 2015, CBS Sports Network is available to approximately 61 million pay television households

Quote:
As of January 2016, NBA TV is available to approximately 53.8 million pay television households in America

So it should be a small gain in potential viewership. I would like to know how hard NBA-TV fought to keep the WNBA, if at all, as they would even show re-runs of programs they were also running before and after a live WNBA game, in place of the live WNBA game.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/25/19 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

According to Voepel, the League has told her the CBS Sports games won't be simulcast on League Pass:
https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1120782343093063680
https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1120839751597285378

Hopefully that only applies to you lot in the US, in the same way as the ESPN games in recent years.

Bumping this as there seems to be confusing with the CBS Sports Network & League Pass.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 06/24/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone in another thread mentioned how few close games there have been. CBS Sports Network is getting hit by that situation. Of their 15 games broadcast so far, the average margin of victory is 15.5 points and the median margin of victory is 16 points. There have been only 3 games that were decided by less than 11 points:(Sun/Mystics 8, Fever/Wings 4, Storm/Mystics 3).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: