RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN's "Too Early" Top 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHSHog

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:57 am    ::: ESPN's "Too Early" Top 25 Reply Reply with quote

Interesting mix of predictable (Oregon and Baylor at the top) and not-so-predictable (TAMU above UConn?!?!?!) from Creme.

Not sure what the point of this is now, when there are so many transfer (and coaching!) scenarios still to play out, but ... it's always interesting to muse and get angry about the placement/non-placement of your favorites...

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26556334/sabrina-ionescu-oregon-lead-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20?sf211404459=1

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy How silly is this? Nothing but a space filler.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

We all know it's too early but it's fun to speculate.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/22/19 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Getting coverage from the biggest sports media outlet and being treated in this regard in the same way as its male counterpart? Hardly a space filler.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/22/19 3:51 pm    ::: Re: ESPN's "Too Early" Top 25 Reply Reply with quote

CHSHog wrote:
Interesting mix of predictable (Oregon and Baylor at the top) and not-so-predictable (TAMU above UConn?!?!?!) from Creme.

Not sure what the point of this is now, when there are so many transfer (and coaching!) scenarios still to play out, but ... it's always interesting to muse and get angry about the placement/non-placement of your favorites...

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26556334/sabrina-ionescu-oregon-lead-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20?sf211404459=1

Why is Texas A and M over UConn deserving of a question mark?

Carter almost single handidly led A and M over ND in the Sweet 16.

She is the type of player in her senior year who can Sheryl Swoopes her way to the title. Certainly to the Final 4.

UConn has no one who has shown they can do that.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/22/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before clicking on Charlie's list I was thinking to myself it SHOULD BE-

1. Oregon 2. Baylor......3. Stanford.......4. TAM 5. Maryland 6. UConn 7. Oregon State 8. Syracuse 9. South Carolina 10. Notre Dame.

Not too far off! I think the top 5 are pretty clear.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No love shown for mid-majors....

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/22/19 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kysre Gondrezik and WvU are so over each other. And NC State is going to win the ACC so I got. I use for this.

CHSHog

PostPosted: 04/22/19 10:49 pm    ::: Re: ESPN's "Too Early" Top 25 Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
CHSHog wrote:

Why is Texas A and M over UConn deserving of a question mark?

Carter almost single handidly led A and M over ND in the Sweet 16.

She is the type of player in her senior year who can Sheryl Swoopes her way to the title. Certainly to the Final 4.

UConn has no one who has shown they can do that.

TAMU is a good team. My personal opinion is that their program is too dependent on Carter — who is a great player, but maybe not a great teammate. I don’t think they are deep enough to be ranked that highly. Obviously, YMMV.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford at 3 feels high. Neither Haley Jones nor Belibi did much during the McAA game that makes me think they can elevate us immediately. By the end of the season, yes, but immediately enough to make us #3, I'm not sure

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/23/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

Never is. I feel your pain.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

I'm with you there momma! How many teams, regardless of conference, beat two 2019 Sweet 16 teams and two 2019 Round of 32 teams during the regular season? The answer: the University of South Dakota..and they return all, but one senior for 2019-20! SDSU will still be a contender for a tournament bid, it will be tough to match even half of the success of this past year's team with two of their all-time greats in program history graduating. Selland has been a good role player for the Jacks who capitalized on open looks while Guebert and Miller took the brunt of the attention. It will be interesting to see how she takes on the role of superstar!

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Never is. I feel your pain.

Creme's story touts the growing parity of WBB, but his list consists only of the P5 teams that had a pulse last season, plus UConn and DePaul. Parity apparently doesn't extend beyond the favored few.

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Stanford at 3 feels high. Neither Haley Jones nor Belibi did much during the McAA game that makes me think they can elevate us immediately. By the end of the season, yes, but immediately enough to make us #3, I'm not sure

On the other hand, they both were stars in the Jordan Brand AA game. But AA games don't mean much either way.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 04/23/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some might feel that Allison Arens is a huge loss. She's been a big part of the Yotes success over the past four years. Ciara Duffy and Hannah Sjevren will hopefully step up and take this team to the next level.

South Dakota State without Macy Miller and Madison Guebert will be a huge change from the past.

I'd probably pencil in Princeton with a healthy Bella Alaire in the 20-25 range. Drake returns Sarah Rhine and Becca Hittner, which is a pretty formidable duo that caused plenty of teams problems this season before they fell apart at the end.

Mallory McGuire at Boise State could make some noise.

I guess I don't know enough about the MAC apart from the fact that players like Dillard, Frost, and others have graduated, and Miami of Ohio lost their coach....so....hard to judge.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/23/19 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Some might feel that Allison Arens is a huge loss. She's been a big part of the Yotes success over the past four years. Ciara Duffy and Hannah Sjevren will hopefully step up and take this team to the next level.

South Dakota State without Macy Miller and Madison Guebert will be a huge change from the past.

Allison was a big part of the successful seasons in the past few years, but her sister Monica is stepping up nicely. In addition, we have Macy Guebert joining the Yotes this year - I watched her with North Tartan over the past several years, and I watched her in the state tournament. That girl can play!

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of the mid majors, I would say Rice and Middle Tennessee State could crack the top 25. Middle Tennessee State will have Anastasia Hayes (former top 10 recruit) and her sister (I believe a top 50 recruit) Rellah Boothe (former top 5 recruit), and Eternati Willock (former top 50 recruit) all bailable next year and I believe they return their top scorer.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Of the mid majors, I would say Rice and Middle Tennessee State could crack the top 25. Middle Tennessee State will have Anastasia Hayes (former top 10 recruit) and her sister (I believe a top 50 recruit) Rellah Boothe (former top 5 recruit), and Eternati Willock (former top 50 recruit) all bailable next year and I believe they return their top scorer.

MTSU could be really good or really clown town. Can Insell manage the personalities?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:

MTSU could be really good or really clown town. Can Insell manage the personalities?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/25/19 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It doesn't matter 'cause none of this matters, but Creme ranks UCLA at #16 despite UCLA's supposed loss of starting point guard, Japrece Dean. What Creme doesn't appear to know is that the NCAA granted Dean an additional year of eligibility. That makes me wonder where UCLA would've been ranked, had Charlie been aware of same. But, again, it doesn't actually matter, and I know that.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/25/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
It doesn't matter 'cause none of this matters, but Creme ranks UCLA at #16 despite UCLA's supposed loss of starting point guard, Japrece Dean. What Creme doesn't appear to know is that the NCAA granted Dean an additional year of eligibility. That makes me wonder where UCLA would've been ranked, had Charlie been aware of same. But, again, it doesn't actually matter, and I know that.

To paraphrase somebody or other, what Charlie Creme doesn't know is a lot. But then, I have been saying for years that Charlie Creme is an idiot. I see no reason to change my opinion.

PostPosted: 04/25/19 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He's not an idiot - he has another full-time gig and he's mastered Bracketology quite well. You have to give him that, esp. his accuracy on getting the seeds and placement right.

What he is NOT is a journalist. At all. And shame on ESPN for not fact checking or editing. Why not have Michelle Smith or Mechele Voepel edit his work? For example, Myah Taylor played at Mississippi State this past season as a redshirt freshmen. He's just lazily reading old news releases I imagine. The Dean/UCLA error is also big as she's going to be a major player for UCLA next year.

Women's bball deserves better coverage.*

But Creme isn't an idiot...just not a professional journalist.

*(The podcasts have been bad lately as in MIA - not one podcast on any of the news, the draft, the coaching changes, anything. It's a bummer. Cheryl Reeve's podcast is about the most consistent, up-to-date podcast out there for news...very sad. The media core tries their best and usually stays on top of Twitter, but it is SLIM pickings out there).

Pureformofthegame

PostPosted: 04/25/19 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

To paraphrase somebody or other, what Charlie Creme doesn't know is a lot. But then, I have been saying for years that Charlie Creme is an idiot. I see no reason to change my opinion.

I agree, it appears that he was thrust into a role and somehow has maintained it?! It has always been clear to me that he has no real passion for the Women's game and I find his bracketology pat.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/29/19 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, i for one also think very little of Creme. Judging him by the standards of just some guy posting on the internet he might appear to be knowledgable, but not someone who does it for a living. I agree that he appears to be someone who was thrust into a job and is just going through the motions just enough to maintain his position.

PostPosted: 04/29/19 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PRballer"]He's not an idiot - he has another full-time gig and he's mastered Bracketology quite well. You have to give him that, esp. his accuracy on getting the seeds and placement right.

What he is NOT is a journalist. At all. And shame on ESPN for not fact checking or editing. Why not have Michelle Smith or Mechele Voepel edit his work? For example, Myah Taylor played at Mississippi State this past season as a redshirt freshmen. He's just lazily reading old news releases I imagine. The Dean/UCLA error is also big as she's going to be a major player for UCLA next year.

Women's bball deserves better coverage.*

But Creme isn't an idiot...just not a professional journalist.

*(The podcasts have been bad lately as in MIA - not one podcast on any of the news, the draft, the coaching changes, anything. It's a bummer. Cheryl Reeve's podcast is about the most consistent, up-to-date podcast out there for news...very sad. The media core tries their best and usually stays on top of Twitter, but it is SLIM pickings out there).[/quote]

Because the Michelle’s are so much better right, insert 100 sarcastic emojis here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: