RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CBS Sports signs multiyear deal with WNBA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/22/19 9:37 am    ::: CBS Sports signs multiyear deal with WNBA Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/2ff2b9ce6a22457683bd0709134a54f7

Quote:
CBS Sports has signed a multiyear deal with the WNBA to broadcast 40 games per season beginning next month.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 9:41 am    ::: Re: CBS Sports signs multiyear deal with WNBA Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
CBS Sports has signed a multiyear deal with the WNBA to broadcast 40 games per season beginning next month.

WOW this is HUGE ! And what most of us have been asking for ! Alright now ! Cool

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 04/22/19 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/22/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is great but confusing news ...

I thought ESPN had a contract with the WNBA, and I assumed it gave ESPN pretty much exclusive rights. If not, great negotiating by the WNBA to allow an additional outlet ...

PostPosted: 04/22/19 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked omg does this mean more money for the players?

PostPosted: 04/22/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is pretty great but does this mean the League Pass will be blacked out on those dates? I believe that happens with ESPN Games... I don't get CBS Sports anymore, trying to decide if I need to actually get it.. It's good to see the WNBA think outside the box. ESPN has not been the greatest partner, IMO.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm.... maybe the league is better off without a president. Probably a million dollars saved and getting better deals done.

Good news for the league, but bad news for me. CBS Sports Network is one of those channels I have difficulty procuring, and I’m guessing 40 games less will be available to be viewed live on League Pass, including the Lynx season opening game. It’s a day of tempered celebration for me unless I hear League Pass games will be unaffected.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/22/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I thought ESPN had a contract with the WNBA, and I assumed it gave ESPN pretty much exclusive rights. If not, great negotiating by the WNBA to allow an additional outlet ...

We've never known whether it was exclusive or not. Games on places like Twitter suggested not, and this clearly confirms it.

bullsky wrote:
This is pretty great but does this mean the League Pass will be blacked out on those dates? I believe that happens with ESPN Games... I don't get CBS Sports anymore, trying to decide if I need to actually get it.. It's good to see the WNBA think outside the box. ESPN has not been the greatest partner, IMO.

Almost certainly means they'll block the CBS Sports games in the US. In recent years they've gotten the geo-blocking to work well in allowing League Pass to show nationally televised games outside the US, which hopefully will work just as well for CBS Sports as it has for ESPN/ABC. (so maybe you could invest in a VPN rather than a cable subscription, if you don't mind slightly questionable practices).

Credit to the league for getting this done. I'm also impressed that they're doing it now, right before CBA negotitions get serious. We'd be criticising them to all hell if this was announced in 12 months after the CBA was done, and suggesting they'd fixed it. Instead the players get to say "look at all this new money coming in - give us a slice".

PostPosted: 04/22/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

They have exclusive rights to the 16 regular season games they bought plus playoffs. Why should they have any more rights for a meager $25 million?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They have exclusive rights to the 16 regular season games they bought plus playoffs. Why should they have any more rights for a meager $25 million?

$25 million seemed like a lot to me, but apparently not ...

And I'm guessing this negotiation has been going on a while, so some credit needs to go to the WNBA staff -- maybe even the departed president, who might have been involved early on.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The TV channel will use local broadcast feeds for now, similar to what NBA TV does for WNBA games. NBA TV showed 49 games last year. The upcoming NBA TV schedule of WNBA games has not been finalized yet.

I wonder if this will end up with fewer games on NBA TV, resulting in more of a shift in channels then actual new coverage for the league.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:39 am    ::: Re: CBS Sports signs multiyear deal with WNBA Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

I love this. Who are the lead women's basketball commentators for CBSSN during the college season?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:45 am    ::: Re: CBS Sports signs multiyear deal with WNBA Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I love this. Who are the lead women's basketball commentators for CBSSN during the college season?

They won’t be producing their own broadcasts this season, but they might produce some features and other WNBA programming.

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the best news since NBC used to broadcast the games. Hopefully, they air true marquis games and not that of bottom feeders.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Quote:
The TV channel will use local broadcast feeds for now, similar to what NBA TV does for WNBA games. NBA TV showed 49 games last year. The upcoming NBA TV schedule of WNBA games has not been finalized yet.

I wonder if this will end up with fewer games on NBA TV, resulting in more of a shift in channels then actual new coverage for the league.

__________________ hmmmmmmm good question !

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Almost certainly means they'll block the CBS Sports games in the US. In recent years they've gotten the geo-blocking to work well in allowing League Pass to show nationally televised games outside the US, which hopefully will work just as well for CBS Sports as it has for ESPN/ABC. (so maybe you could invest in a VPN rather than a cable subscription, if you don't mind slightly questionable practices).

Interesting, I have VPN but it did not help me with League Pass last season. However, I was treating it as US regional blocking because that's what it was in the past. I did not try another country.

As I recall, all of the games end up being available on archive within a few hours. Not as good as being able to watch them live -- especially if it's your team -- but archived games is how I catch-up with most of the league anyway.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get CBS Sports so I’m happy.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Interesting, I have VPN but it did not help me with League Pass last season. However, I was treating it as US regional blocking because that's what it was in the past. I did not try another country.

I should clarify that I obviously don't know for sure if a VPN would work for WNBA League Pass, because I've never had to use one from the UK. I would note that NBA League Pass is insanely dumb in this area. They have different prices for different countries, so for whatever reason people from Australia or Argentina or countless other places pay about half of what they charge in the UK. But if you use a VPN to buy it, you can very easily pay the price charged in a different country - and then everything works like you bought it entirely normally. You don't have to use a VPN to watch the games, there's no reference to your purchase country on the confirmation email or account details, there's nothing different whatsoever. All of which may be entirely irrelevant, but does suggest that they don't exactly work hard to cover potential exploits in their system.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those that decided not to read the article, it states that they'll be using the local broadcast to start. But still, 40 more games on national TV is a big bonus. We should still get 20 games on Twitter as well. 16 ESPN, 40 CBSSports, 20 Twitter = 76 games available to the public. Big bonus for the league and its fans. Just curious what CBS paid the league and if this can go towards the players/teams for the new CBA?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they'll go with a mainstream broadcast team in the future, I wonder who CBS could get? So many women's bball broadcasters are tied to ESPN.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
For those that decided not to read the article, it states that they'll be using the local broadcast to start. But still, 40 more games on national TV is a big bonus. We should still get 20 games on Twitter as well. 16 ESPN, 40 CBSSports, 20 Twitter = 76 games available to the public. Big bonus for the league and its fans. Just curious what CBS paid the league and if this can go towards the players/teams for the new CBA?

I guess since its short notice, they’d have to use local broadcasts at first but i really Hope they eventually create their own broadcasts because the local broadcasts are so incredibly amateurish.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If they'll go with a mainstream broadcast team in the future, I wonder who CBS could get? So many women's bball broadcasters are tied to ESPN.

I read something on twitter about Lisa leslie being part of the cbs sports family. So I’m assuming we’ll see a lot of her

jmvcity

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of the 40 games to be broadcast, I noticed that only one features New York and it's an away game in Phoenix. Does this mean MSG will be airing all Liberty games and blocking CBS Sports?

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBS Sports Network is one my YouTube TV channels so I will
definitely be watching some games. It is worth paying 49.99 a month to watch those games on YouTube TV don't have access to CBS Sports. I'll bet that those games on that are going to be shown CBS Sports will be blacked out on the League Pass.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/22/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Of the 40 games to be broadcast, I noticed that only one features New York and it's an away game in Phoenix. Does this mean MSG will be airing all Liberty games and blocking CBS Sports?

MSG doesn't own the Liberty anymore. Have they said that they're still broadcasting the games? That would surprise me.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: