RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

League Pass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coyotes

PostPosted: 04/19/19 11:52 pm    ::: League Pass Reply Reply with quote

WNBA can’t seem to get out of its own way.

A week ago, I received an email stating that the League Pass would be 9.99, and now they send out a correction stating that it’s 16.99. I get that it’s the same price as last year, but this league can’t get out of its own way when it comes to effectively generating excitement or marketing.....

I hate to be disappointed or harping on this, but this happens so damn often.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/20/19 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Humility is knowing that you are not perfect and being able to accept correction.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was disappointed by that too, but League Pass is a bargain.

miller40

PostPosted: 04/20/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do they mess this up so often? Remember the summer it was briefly on sale for like $5 before someone over there caught it.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
How do they mess this up so often? Remember the summer it was briefly on sale for like $5 before someone over there caught it.

It's run by the NBA, and most NBA employees don't give a shit about the W.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Humility is knowing that you are not perfect and being able to accept correction.

The key word here is correction. Not to be confused, in this case, as consistency.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/20/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got the email about my renewal. Sign me up!! $16.99 isn't bad, but didn't they offer it cheaper before the season started in 2018?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Just got the email about my renewal. Sign me up!! $16.99 isn't bad, but didn't they offer it cheaper before the season started in 2018?

I'm pretty sure there was no early deal last yr.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was no early deal last yr.

In the past, they've sent a $2 discount sometime before the season starts. We shall see if they do this year, as well.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/20/19 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The sad thing is that this is the exact same problem as last season. The only difference is they actually caught it this year.

My understanding from last season was that the $9.99 rate is for season ticket holders but that wasn't mentioned in the e-mail. The $16.99 price is still well worth it, but I will be upset if they offer the discount to new signups while charging long-time subscribers more.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/19 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To some extent you want to charge for League Pass in order to place a value on your product, but I do wonder whether the small amount they must make from subscriptions is actually worth it. There should be a discussion about whether streaming every non-nationally televised game for free on a WNBA YouTube channel would actually help the league and it's growth more. The $16.99 is pretty close to nothing, but if someone's vaguely intrigued by the league and has nothing to do of an evening it's enough to stop them bothering to watch a game. How many fans might you gain if those people could run across a live game streaming for free on YouTube?

PostPosted: 04/20/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
To some extent you want to charge for League Pass in order to place a value on your product, but I do wonder whether the small amount they must make from subscriptions is actually worth it. There should be a discussion about whether streaming every non-nationally televised game for free on a WNBA YouTube channel would actually help the league and it's growth more. The $16.99 is pretty close to nothing, but if someone's vaguely intrigued by the league and has nothing to do of an evening it's enough to stop them bothering to watch a game. How many fans might you gain if those people could run across a live game streaming for free on YouTube?

They could probably make up the revenue with ads at halftime and such

PostPosted: 04/20/19 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The sad thing is that this is the exact same problem as last season. The only difference is they actually caught it this year.

My understanding from last season was that the $9.99 rate is for season ticket holders but that wasn't mentioned in the e-mail. The $16.99 price is still well worth it, but I will be upset if they offer the discount to new signups while charging long-time subscribers more.

The $9.99 is the team specific rate.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/19 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The $16.99 is pretty close to nothing, but if someone's vaguely intrigued by the league and has nothing to do of an evening it's enough to stop them bothering to watch a game. How many fans might you gain if those people could run across a live game streaming for free on YouTube?

That’s the function of the 20 games on Twitter.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/21/19 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
The $16.99 is pretty close to nothing, but if someone's vaguely intrigued by the league and has nothing to do of an evening it's enough to stop them bothering to watch a game. How many fans might you gain if those people could run across a live game streaming for free on YouTube?

That’s the function of the 20 games on Twitter.

Youtube should be the direction they attempt to head.

PostPosted: 05/03/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I reading this correctly?

Got emails a while ago about this year's price. Finally got around to going on to sign up and it says to "come back May 20 to purchase a League Pass."

Why in the world would I not be able to do it today? What's magical about May 20? Seriously? They won't sell it to me now?

What a way to run a business.

If you're going to broadcast marketing emails trying to sell something, at least you should be prepared to sell or take orders for whatever you're selling.

I must be missing something.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/03/19 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Am I reading this correctly?

Got emails a while ago about this year's price. Finally got around to going on to sign up and it says to "come back May 20 to purchase a League Pass."

Why in the world would I not be able to do it today? What's magical about May 20? Seriously? They won't sell it to me now?

What a way to run a business.

If you're going to broadcast marketing emails trying to sell something, at least you should be prepared to sell or take orders for whatever you're selling.

I must be missing something.

I got an email that they are going to renew it for me on the 20th of May. If you dont want that to happen you can log in and change it to prevent it

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does League Pass work? I have no idea whether I'll be able to watch the Liberty on TV this year, so I need to figure out another way in case I can't. What are the other option for getting WNBA games?

The ability to watch live is not important, so long as the games are available soon after.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
How does League Pass work? I have no idea whether I'll be able to watch the Liberty on TV this year, so I need to figure out another way in case I can't. What are the other option for getting WNBA games?

The ability to watch live is not important, so long as the games are available soon after.

Historically, blacked out games are usually available as an archive within 24 hours. It's usually sooner than that -- like a couple of hours. However, weekends seem to be slower so I'm guessing it's tied to staffing levels

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Historically, blacked out games are usually available as an archive within 24 hours. It's usually sooner than that -- like a couple of hours. However, weekends seem to be slower so I'm guessing it's tied to staffing levels

Are games that are not blacked out available on archive?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

Yes, unless something goes wrong, every game should be available in the archive.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Yes, unless something goes wrong, every game should be available in the archive.
Archive comes in handy when you are not available to watch live. You can also start the game from the beginning even while the game is still being played.

I have had league pass for the last few years and I thought it was worth the money.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got an email today about League Pass.

You can start signing up today. I like waiting until last minute in case they throw some promo offers out. Given the short amount of time until the season starts, a promo offer probably isn’t happening.

You could be unknowingly be set up for auto renewal if you used League Pass last season. You might want to check on that if you want to wait until later to subscribe, want to change to team-only, or don’t want it at all.

They reveal that UP TO 148 games are available for LIVE viewing.
That makes sense because:

204 games in season
-40 games CBS Sports
-16 games ESPN/ABC
148 games total

Twitter games were available on League Pass last year.
I’m guessing Twitter doesn’t pay to broadcast them. If anything, the league probably pays them for the promotion.

The “up to” part of the 148 games live comes into play if you have a regional broadcaster in your area. For instance, Minnesota has some games playing on local Fox Sports cable station FSNN. Those games are blacked out locally on League Pass. I think I’ve heard Mystics complaining about local blackouts, so this probably applies to them too.

All 204 games should be archived, and they’re usually archived pretty quickly.

They’re still pricing it at $16.99 even though there are less games being shown live than last year, but it’s a bargain for what you get.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/20/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You can start signing up today. I like waiting until last minute in case they throw some promo offers out. Given the short amount of time until the season starts, a promo offer probably isn’t happening.

Before today on the League Pass page, there was mention of a free trial at the start of the season. Can't find anything about it now, but perhaps that will be a late promo.

I'd like the free trial, just to make sure it all runs on my hardware OK. My computer is several years old.

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 05/20/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I got an email today about League Pass.

You could be unknowingly be set up for auto renewal if you used League Pass last season. You might want to check on that if you want to wait until later to subscribe, want to change to team-only, or don’t want it at all.

They reveal that UP TO 148 games are available for LIVE viewing.
That makes sense because:

204 games in season
-40 games CBS Sports
-16 games ESPN/ABC
148 games total

Twitter games were available on League Pass last year.
I’m guessing Twitter doesn’t pay to broadcast them. If anything, the league probably pays them for the promotion.

The “up to” part of the 148 games live comes into play if you have a regional broadcaster in your area. For instance, Minnesota has some games playing on local Fox Sports cable station FSNN. Those games are blacked out locally on League Pass. I think I’ve heard Mystics complaining about local blackouts, so this probably applies to them too.

All 204 games should be archived, and they’re usually archived pretty quickly.

They’re still pricing it at $16.99 even though there are less games being shown live than last year, but it’s a bargain for what you get.

Twitter does pay something for them - http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/19290017/wnba-set-stream-20-games-year-next-seasons-twitter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: