RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/18/19 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Someone posted "fun fact" on UVA MBB fan group. I never heard of that. But I'm copying and pasting.

"Tammi Reiss new women’s bball coach. Fun fact: had an affair w Jeff Jones which led appropriately to his being fired."

I don't see it. For one thing, he has a penis.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/18/19 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue is looking for a new assistant after Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton steps down:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/04/18/wisdom-hylton-leaves-purdue-womens-basketball-coaching-staff/3421449002/

petrel

PostPosted: 04/19/19 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably seen elsewhere, but Sylvia Hatchell resigns at North Carolina.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/19/unc-womens-basketball-coach-sylvia-hatchell-resigns-after-investigation?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sinow&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/19/19 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona now has 2 AC openings as April Phillips has been named AC at Cal

https://calbears.com/news/2019/4/18/april-phillips-added-to-womens-basketball-staff.aspx

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/19/19 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finalists for the North Dakota State head coach position.

Kayla Ard, associate head coach at University of Denver,
Jory Collins, assistant head coach at University of Kansas,
Chuck Love, assistant head coach at university of Nebraska
Drake associate head coach Allison Pohlman

Love and Collins are male candidates for the position. NDSU has only had a male coach for the 77-78 season. [/img]

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/19/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue has an AC position open. Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton is leaving, and so far doesn't appear she has another job lined up, though who knows what will happen in the next couple of weeks.

If she doesn't have another job lined up, she is just leaving a job at her alma mater after 7 years. If that's the case, another damning data point for the current regime.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/04/18/wisdom-hylton-leaves-purdue-womens-basketball-coaching-staff/3421449002/

Interesting that, at least in the quotes published, there are no complimentary words for LWH or Versyp from the other.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/19/19 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toledo hired former Xavier AC, Mark Stephens

https://utrockets.com/news/2019/4/18/mark-stephens-named-toledo-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

petrel

PostPosted: 04/19/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Robin Harmony HC at Charleston

https://cofcsports.com/news/2019/4/19/harmony-named-head-womens-basketball-coach-at-college-of-charleston.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/19/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicholls State has AC opening, as Justin Payne is new head coach at Georgia Southwestern

http://www.gswcanes.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20190415io1x0x

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/19/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tommie Johnson (Denver AC) is new HC at CSU-Pueblo (missed this on 4/16)

https://gothunderwolves.com/news/2019/4/16/plinske-tabs-tommie-johnson-as-next-csu-pueblo-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/19 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Is it me that I find bit creepy to see Kellie Harper practicing nepotism?

Oh FFS! Adia Barnes? And how many others? There are bunches of them. Get off it.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

It's no more or less creepy than the many times it's happened before at dozens of other schools

PostPosted: 04/20/19 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ridor wrote:

Oh FFS! Adia Barnes? And how many others? There are bunches of them. Get off it.

And JR Payne, And Jenn Rizzotti, and Kim McNeil, and Kristie Curry, and Brooke Stoehr, and... should we keep going?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/19 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ridor wrote:

And JR Payne, And Jenn Rizzotti, and Kim McNeil, and Kristie Curry, and Brooke Stoehr, and... should we keep going?

Is it me, or do I just think that ridor needs to get over his Tennessee hate and focus his energies on Maryland which he purports to be such a fan of?

PostPosted: 04/20/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nepotism can be considered creepy no matter how many college coaches practice it. More importantly, it can be illegal or contrary to state university policy . . . as it is at the University of Tennessee.

https://universitytennessee.policytech.com/docview/?docid=100&public=true

Quote:
. . . no employees who are relatives shall be placed within the same direct line of supervision whereby one relative is responsible for supervising the job performance or work activities of another relative.

Should a situation arise whereby a university employee must directly supervise the job performance or work activities of a relative, that situation must be remedied by either an intradepartmental or interdepartmental transfer of at least one of the employees.

To allow Harper's husband to be her assistant coach, UTK will have to employ a legal gimmick to avoid this anti-nepotism policy. I can think of a few, but they are all creepy charades.

I believe Ridor has been a long time fan of the University of Virginia as well as of Gallaudet University.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Nepotism can be considered creepy no matter how many college coaches practice it. More importantly, it can be illegal or contrary to state university policy . . . as it is at the University of Tennessee.

https://universitytennessee.policytech.com/docview/?docid=100&public=true

Quote:
. . . no employees who are relatives shall be placed within the same direct line of supervision whereby one relative is responsible for supervising the job performance or work activities of another relative.

Should a situation arise whereby a university employee must directly supervise the job performance or work activities of a relative, that situation must be remedied by either an intradepartmental or interdepartmental transfer of at least one of the employees.

To allow Harper's husband to be her assistant coach, UTK will have to employ a legal gimmick to avoid this anti-nepotism policy. I can think of a few, but they are all creepy charades.

I believe Ridor has been a long time fan of the University of Virginia as well as of Gallaudet University.

It may be permissible to make him associate HC. I'm not sure of the legal niceties, but I'm quite sure this was discussed during contract talks. In any case, it's not at all "creepy" and it's certainly not all that non-standard. And my comment about ridor's anti-Tennessee stance stands.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas Tech hired M.L. Willis, former AC at Charleston, Ga Tech, WVU among others. Per her twitter.

https://twitter.com/wreckem_willis

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Nepotism can be considered creepy no matter how many college coaches practice it.

True, but it seems unlikely this is the first case ridor is aware of. Why choose now to start decrying it?

PostPosted: 04/20/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course the legal gimmick to evade the anti-nepotism policy was decided upon before Harper was hired.

The most obvious creepy charade for UTK is to have Harper's husband officially report not to her as his supervisor, but to report instead to an assistant AD or the AD himself. If that won't work, however, because the entire athletic department is considered the "same department" for purposes of the anti-nepotism policy, then hubby Harper could be made to report to the chair of the physics department, the head chef of the school cafeteria, or to the chief librarian or groundskeeper. All just charades and gimmicks to avoid the technical reporting structure of the policy but not its day-to-day substance.

Ethical policies can't stand in the way of revenue making sports at a big university.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Call it creepy if YOU want, Glenn. What do they call it at other places? Arizona, for instance? Or George Washington? Or do they simply not have such policies? I can't imagine they don't.

Maybe you should get off your high horse before you fall off? Just a thought.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Maryland. I never said I hated Tennessee Lady Vols. I have tons of respect for Pat and her program. It is YOU who are dwelling on the past when I simply asked if it was bit creepy or strange that Kellie practices nepotism. Turns out that many schools have done that. Stop being so defensive.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/20/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not familiar with Arizona and Adia Barnes so I did not mention them right away. So sue me.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/20/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had been observing Kellie Harper's coaching career from Auburn to WCU to NC State to Missouri State and now to UT. My guts indicates that hiring her husband may be her Achilles heel to reach the next level. I don't think it is good idea. It may end up like what happened to Stephanie Gaitley at St. Joseph (PA).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/19 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I had been observing Kellie Harper's coaching career from Auburn to WCU to NC State to Missouri State and now to UT. My guts indicates that hiring her husband may be her Achilles heel to reach the next level. I don't think it is good idea. It may end up like what happened to Stephanie Gaitley at St. Joseph (PA).

There's never been a problem with Kellie and Jon Harper, so naff off, ridor.

And here ya go. I copied this from another post. There should be enough to keep you busy and out of trouble. Go research THEM for awhile.

PostPosted: 04/20/19 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nepotism isn't just an issue in coaching sports. It creates awkward, unfair, and discriminatory situations in many professions and companies, which is the reason so many employers have rules against it. If I were an up-and-coming AC, I wouldn't take a position if offered by KJH. Who wants to be working in a situation where they can't disagree with a coworker because s/he is in a relationship with the defacto boss? Few nepotist employees and bosses have the insight and/or ethical ability to manage this situation successfully. I was actually wondering if Jon Harper would elect to become a "stay-at-home" dad for a while, given that they have a 5 and <1 year old and that this is likely the first time KJH's salary would allow them to do that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 10 of 33

Jump to: