RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/11/19 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Minnesota is going to take a huge hit the season(No Maya,No Whalen)

Did you watch the Lynx last season? No Whalen is preferable to Whalen of last season. That’s why Reeve ended up nudging her out the retirement door. Now DRob can take the full reins without worrying about stepping on toes. Whether that’s a good or bad thing, we’ll find out. I don’t think it’ll be a huge hit from last year.

What you neglect to acknowledge is they signed Christmas and Dantas.

What really seemed to really hurt the Lynx is losing Brunson at the end of the season. Wasn’t able to overcome that with everything else that was happening. Christmas + Dantas probably doesn’t make up for the loss of Maya + Brunson, but going off last year, Maya didn’t have a usual Maya season so I’m not really seeing a huge drop off in this year’s team.

Plus there’s still a possibility of Brunson returning. Fowles will be playing healthier and hopefully she’ll stay healthy. A couple of Lynx draft picks might actually be helpful. Last year they got no help from draft picks.

Zune likes to make his grandiose early calls, but there still seems to be some preseason moves to be played out yet with some teams.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/11/19 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sloot/Harper/(Faulkner?)
Quigley/CJackson
DeShields/Samuelson/Copper
Parker/Williams
Dolson/Coates/Ndour(EuroBasket?)

Faulkner really messed up her knee this last time. That was in July. Any progress report on her?

Feeling warm and fuzzy about this roster?

I suppose they could put Copper or Samuelson at SG to make things a little less log-jammy, but still, they could have had Shepard at #15, but they went with Chloe Jackson instead.

Sloot/Harper/(Faulkner?)
Quigley/Samuelson
DeShields/Williams/Copper
Parker/Shepard
Dolson/Coates/Ndour(EuroBasket?)

Wouldn’t this have been better?

Last edited by Shades on 04/11/19 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 04/11/19 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@shades.

Whalen's leadership will be sorely missed.

Christmas and Dantas are coming off injuries. Both players are question marks.

The loss of Moore is very significant. You just can't lose a top 6 player and expect to maintain the same level of play. Moore didn';t have her best season, but she still impacts the game with her presence. Defenses game planned for Moore. This gave other players open shot opportunities and more space to score the ball.

Now don't get me wrong. I like the additions of Collier,Dantas and Brown. I think Minnesota can still win 14-16 games. I just think there's going to be some falloff.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/11/19 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not yet seen.
Wade has the faith that the post players on the Sky roster plus the free agent post players that he signed are better than any post players in the 2019 draft. His actions speak louder than any words.
WNBA fans will witness the evidence on the type of Sky team Wade constructs for the 2019 season. We will find out if his vision for the Sky is true or false.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lNxVR-hQCn0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/19 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

James Wade on why he chose Katie Lou Samuelson:

Quote:
As far as Katie Lou, it’s the fact that she can space the floor so well. Basically, when you play her and somebody else has the ball, you’re actually playing four-on-four because that player has to play so close to her. She gives space and she adds value even to the other players that you have. She’s actually the one player in the draft that can play with every single person on our roster, any combination of players, and she doesn’t stunt the growth of any of the young players that we have. So I think that was the important thing for us with her and the fact that she’s smart, she comes from a good system, she takes care of the ball, she makes good decisions quickly, so that was really key for us when evaluating her and what she can bring to our team.

Quote:
. . . what I asked the coaching staff is; if we take this great defender or this great rebounder, will we be the best at that? And everybody agreed that we wouldn’t. We would improve, but we wouldn’t be the best at that. I said, “Ok, if we take the player that we want, would we be the best at something?” They all agreed. They said we would be the best shooting team or one of the best shooting teams in the league.

So, that’s what we’re going to focus on. We’re going to focus on spacing the floor and moving the ball, playing with rhythm, playing with pace, and we’re going to make you have to guard us. We’re going to make you have to guard us farther because we’ll be able to shoot the ball from multiple positions, so we’re going to be attacking closeouts. That’s what we want to be known as, an offensive team that you have to guard someone at every position.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/17/19 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
As far as Katie Lou, it’s the fact that she can space the floor so well. Basically, when you play her and somebody else has the ball, you’re actually playing four-on-four because that player has to play so close to her. She gives space and she adds value even to the other players that you have.

That would work out nicely if only Chicago had 4 good players Razz

Seriously though, good for him for daring to be a little bit different. I hope it works out. Even if it doesn't boost their record too much I think Sky games should be very watchable.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
As far as Katie Lou, it’s the fact that she can space the floor so well. Basically, when you play her and somebody else has the ball, you’re actually playing four-on-four because that player has to play so close to her. She gives space and she adds value even to the other players that you have.

That would work out nicely if only Chicago had 4 good players Razz

Seriously though, good for him for daring to be a little bit different. I hope it works out. Even if it doesn't boost their record too much I think Sky games should be very watchable.

I don't know how overall good the Sky will be, but they should be able to field five players who can present shooting threats from multiple floor positions -- e.g., KLS, Sloot, Quigley, DeShields, Dolson.
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/17/19 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Wade won't have much use for Williams.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/17/19 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't think it'll hurt to have a slasher

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/17/19 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
As far as Katie Lou, it’s the fact that she can space the floor so well. Basically, when you play her and somebody else has the ball, you’re actually playing four-on-four because that player has to play so close to her. She gives space and she adds value even to the other players that you have. She’s actually the one player in the draft that can play with every single person on our roster, any combination of players, and she doesn’t stunt the growth of any of the young players that we have. So I think that was the important thing for us with her and the fact that she’s smart, she comes from a good system, she takes care of the ball, she makes good decisions quickly, so that was really key for us when evaluating her and what she can bring to our team.

Quote:
. . . what I asked the coaching staff is; if we take this great defender or this great rebounder, will we be the best at that? And everybody agreed that we wouldn’t. We would improve, but we wouldn’t be the best at that. I said, “Ok, if we take the player that we want, would we be the best at something?” They all agreed. They said we would be the best shooting team or one of the best shooting teams in the league.

So, that’s what we’re going to focus on. We’re going to focus on spacing the floor and moving the ball, playing with rhythm, playing with pace, and we’re going to make you have to guard us. We’re going to make you have to guard us farther because we’ll be able to shoot the ball from multiple positions, so we’re going to be attacking closeouts. That’s what we want to be known as, an offensive team that you have to guard someone at every position.

Wade plans on imitating the current style being used in the NBA. The Sky will play fast with five players standing outside the three point line jacking up three point jump shots. Good luck playing with that style, Wade. It will work only if your players can make their three point shots. Very Happy

Last edited by Rock Hard on 04/30/19 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/17/19 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The theme song for the Sky this season will be run and gun just for fun, all night! Cool

PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Wade plans on imitating the current style being used in the NBA. The Sky will play fast with five players standing outside the three point line jacking up three point jump shots. Good luck playing with that style, Wade. It will work only if your prayers can make their three point shots. Very Happy

Why can't they? Sloot, Quigley, DD, Dolson and Katie Lou seem like they all hit 3's. Just don't expect much defense.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It really helps teams, in my experience, to have an identity, for players to know what kind of team they want to be, and how they expect to win.

Very, very few teams can win in more than one or two ways -- true versatility requires depth and several very versatile players.

So for Wade to essentially say to his team: We are going to win by shooting well (and presumably defending and rebounding as well as possible) isn't unreasonable at all. It makes it clear what his priorities are, and what players need to do to get on the court.

And it also is a decent overall strategy: Rather than try to be good at everything, we are going to try to be really good at a couple things. (That strategy has worked for me at the high school level, so I'm naturally sympathetic. Can it work at the WNBA level? Could be a much different story ...)

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

yeah, I was thinking that too.

- Amanda Gorman
Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/17/19 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Maybe he will use her as a Draymond Green/PJ Pucker type of player that does does a little bit of everything on the court. Having DD camp out on three point doesn't fit her strengths unless she's going to get a third of points from the free throw like James Harden does from time to time.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/17/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Maybe he will use her as a Draymond Green/PJ Pucker type of player that does does a little bit of everything on the court. Having DD camp out on three point doesn't fit her strengths unless she's going to get a third of points from the free throw like James Harden does from time to time.

That only works if she expands her shooting range (much like Tucker did in his years out of the league). Green and Tucker are threats to score from all places on the court.

Whether or not they actually do is different; the point is that they are viable threats to do so.

Unless she worked on her outside shot in the offseason, Williams is not a shooting threat.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/30/19 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago Sky Finalize Training Camp Roster With Signing of Leslie Robinson

https://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-finalize-training-camp-roster-with-signing-of-leslie-robinson/

Quote:
The Chicago Sky have signed forward Leslie Robinson to a training camp contract, the team announced.

A 6-foot-0 former Princeton standout, Robinson most recently played overseas for Krofdorf in Germany, where she averaged 22 points, 12.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/30/19 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'Finalize training camp roster' without ever having announced whether their best player signed a contract. Gotta love this league.

PostPosted: 04/30/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
'Finalize training camp roster' without ever having announced whether their best player signed a contract. Gotta love this league.

Similar to the Liberty and Tina Charles.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/30/19 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Similar to the Liberty and Tina Charles.

At least the Liberty listed their training camp roster. Laughing

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/30/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Sky training camp roster will be something like this.
Vandersloot/Faulkner/Jackson
Quigley/Copper/Abdelkader/Harper
Deshields/Williams/Robinson/Samuelson
Parker/Ndour/Williams
Dolson/Coates/Macauly

I'd expect the final roster to be:
Vandersloot/Faulkner/Jackson
Quigley/Copper
Deshields/Samuelson
Parker/Ndour/Williams
Dolson/Coates

I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams traded for a PF.

PostPosted: 04/30/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:

Who? Who are they getting to make a deal like that worthwhile?

PostPosted: 04/30/19 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:

Camille Little? 🤭

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/30/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
UK1996 wrote:

Who? Who are they getting to make a deal like that worthwhile?

Lavender?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 12 of 22

Jump to: