RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/15/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They re-signed Lyttle this offseason, though. That suggests to me that they're expecting her to be healthy enough to be on the roster, and contribute at some point this season. I don't know why you'd re-sign her otherwise. Also they actively made a move to get B.Turner, which usually gives you a leg up towards making the roster. GMs don't want to look like they gave something away for nothing.

Perhaps, but it was Gulich they gave up. A player that didn’t do much for them at all last season. So they essentially gave nothing away. If they are expecting Lyttle, that makes Turner even more expendable considering Bonner can play PF, and I think Talbot played some at that spot as well. I just don’t see why Cunningham wouldn’t make this roster, but if she doesn’t she’d be quickly snatched up by someone else.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/15/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
And halfway through the season when Brondello hasn't played Cunningham and the Mercury give up and trade her for a bag of balls, maybe we'll find out just how good she can be. Wink

Although I do kinda see 13 players on the roster who might have a shot, so assuming they all show up, someone's getting cut (maybe two someones, considering there's a lot of vets):
Mitchell/January
Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Little/Smith
Griner/B.Turner

If this is the roster, B.Turner is the cut. Seems easy enough to me. But, I’m finding it hard to believe Lyttle will be available to play at all this season.

cut your only other center in favor of having 3 possibly 4 PF's when you move Bonner over seems a bit suspect.

PostPosted: 04/15/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
And halfway through the season when Brondello hasn't played Cunningham and the Mercury give up and trade her for a bag of balls, maybe we'll find out just how good she can be. Wink

Although I do kinda see 13 players on the roster who might have a shot, so assuming they all show up, someone's getting cut (maybe two someones, considering there's a lot of vets):
Mitchell/January
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Little/Smith
Griner/B.Turner

If this is the roster, B.Turner is the cut. Seems easy enough to me. But, I’m finding it hard to believe Lyttle will be available to play at all this season.

cut your only other center in favor of having 3 possibly 4 PF's when you move Bonner over seems a bit suspect.

Believing Brianna Turner is a WNBA center seems even more suspect. They had their most success when Bonner was at the PF, why go away from that when you were a game away from the WNBA Finals?

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 04/15/19 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is going to be interesting to see what direction Phoenix goes. I would like to see them keep Cunningham, Smith, and Turner. I disagree that Sandy doesn't like to develop or play younger players. She just hasn't had many of them. But both V Young and Talbot are young (at least in WNBA experience and they have seen playing time at critical times). Emma Cannon was given a chance to prove herself as well. There are many teams out there who do play their youth over vets unless the youth is really, really good or there aren't much vets. There are only so many minutes.

Camille did do some things for us last year but not very consistently. She is still a better defender than people give her credit for. She held Stewie to next to nothing for a half when she ran out of gas and Stewie decided to play.

I was baffled about Lyttle's signing too. And I was pleasantly surprised at Bonner as our PF. She played some of the best basketball she has played for Phoenix. It will be interesting to see if that holds up once teams have a chance to figure out how to defend her at that position.

All of this gives Phoenix some flexibility.

stever

PostPosted: 04/16/19 9:12 am    ::: Q & A with Cunningham Reply Reply with quote

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2019/04/15/mercury-draft-pick-cunningham-has-attitudinal-edge-like-taurasi/3478253002/

potd41

PostPosted: 04/16/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cunningham is no "cream puff". Like her a lot.

PostPosted: 04/16/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercury signed dutchie Emese Hof Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy super happy for her that she gets this experience and hopefully it helps her to geton a good overseas team Smile

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 04/16/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hof has the potential to make the final roster. The Mercury should try and dump Little (not easy).

PostPosted: 04/15/19 11:12 am :::

Mitchell/January
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Turner/Smith
Griner/Hof

Last spot between Talbot and Cunningham.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/16/19 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hof has the potential to make the final roster.

Only in the same way that everyone around here always talks themselves into all these random training camp signings this time of year.

PostPosted: 04/16/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hof has the potential to make the final roster. The Mercury should try and dump Little (not easy).

Mitchell/January
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Turner/Smith
Griner/Hof

Last spot between Talbot and Cunningham.

This proposed roster already has 13 players, one more than the maximum.

Below is my proposed roster, assuming one of the Little/Lyttle contracts is not guaranteed:

PG: January/Mitchell
SG: Taurasi/Y.Turner/Cunningham
W: Bonner/Carson/Talbot
PF: Lyttle/Smith
C: Griner/Turner

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I 've always liked Essence, but when you look at their roster, I'm wondering why they signed her. Looks like it will just prevent a younger up and coming player from making the team. I guess she provides a bit of comfort level for the coaches, knowing exactly what she can/can't do coming off the bench.

- Amanda Gorman
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 04/17/19 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I received my season ticket packet today along with the requisite letter that explains how wonderful the Mercury will be this year. The letter summarized our season end playoff experience with Seattle and reaffirmed that feeling that the Mercury are right on the cusp of winning their 4 championship.

After a reminder of how wonderful our "Big Three" are and were last year, BG, DT, and DB, Pitman (Executive Vice President) discussed January, Lyttle, Carson, and Vonnie Turner. He stated that January had off season surgery on her shoulder that apparently nagged her all last season. He said she is fully healed now. He stated that Sancho "worked her way back to health". So we can expect her to be on the court.

They added Carson due to her ability to play multiple positions, her versatile defense, and her ability to shoot 3 pointers. They like the contributions of Vonnie in the playoffs and there was the unsaid message that they expect more of the same.

Last but not least he stated they expected to a add at least one impactful draft pick.

His comments on Lyttle definitely answered some questions. When Lyttle and Little were brought in together, I could see them being an effective "tag team" at the four and being able to spell each other off so they would not have to play lots of minutes. It worked pretty well as we were in first place when Lyttle went down. However, the rest of our season was, IMO, an example of how ineffective Little was overall.

This is my wish, currently, for our final roster:

January/Mitchell
DT/V.Turner/Cunningham
Bonner/Carson/Talbot
Lyttle/Smith
Griner/Turner

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/19 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
I received my season ticket packet today along with the requisite letter that explains how wonderful the Mercury will be this year. The letter summarized our season end playoff experience with Seattle and reaffirmed that feeling that the Mercury are right on the cusp of winning their 4 championship.

With the injuries to Stewart and McCoughtry, the Merc are probably the favorites

PostPosted: 04/17/19 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:

With the injuries to Stewart and McCoughtry, the Merc are probably the favorites

True.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington made it to the finals last year. They add back Meesseman, have Powers for the whole season, and Atkins can be expected to improve. I like what Phoenix did in the draft, but I would still make Washington the favorite. And with Dan Hughes winning a championship last year, it just feels like Mike Thibault is due.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, Taurasi's about to turn 37. She had a bounce-back year last season after a couple of years where it looked like she was sliding down towards the end of her career, but can she be that good again? And if so, for how long? Griner's obviously a star but this team hasn't looked like any kind of title threat without Taurasi playing dominant basketball. If she drops off they're probably a playoff team but not much more.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree DC is also a contender and don't forget LA either. Unless they pay a Queen's ransom for Lizilla.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have Washington, Phoenix and Atlanta as the top favorites. Los Angeles could be the dark horse.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/19 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Washington made it to the finals last year. They add back Meesseman, have Powers for the whole season, and Atkins can be expected to improve. I like what Phoenix did in the draft, but I would still make Washington the favorite. And with Dan Hughes winning a championship last year, it just feels like Mike Thibault is due.

Yeah, but they're the Mystics. The one constant in the WNBA universe is that Washington will find a way to screw things up.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Mystics are the favorites to take the #1 seed in the regular season but the Mercury are the favorites for the title.

I'm not so sure about LA. Connecticut might finally make waves.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Yeah, but they're the Mystics. The one constant in the WNBA universe is that Washington will find a way to screw things up.

Laughing To this day, I still get a chuckle every time I see them referred to as the Mystakes.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Agree DC is also a contender and don't forget LA either. Unless they pay a Queen's ransom for Lizilla.

True.

PostPosted: 04/24/19 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what’s the status of Dupree and Bonner saying last season was the last summer they’d spend on different teams, even if it meant doing something drastic, because their family is more important to them than basketball?

Last edited by miller40 on 04/24/19 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also, Taurasi's about to turn 37. She had a bounce-back year last season after a couple of years where it looked like she was sliding down towards the end of her career, but can she be that good again? And if so, for how long? Griner's obviously a star but this team hasn't looked like any kind of title threat without Taurasi playing dominant basketball. If she drops off they're probably a playoff team but not much more.

I think not playing overseas last year did a lot for her, and it’s likely to be beneficial again. Bird had a similar trajectory.

Obviously Father Time will get them both eventually, but they are now playing on well rested and bodies - that have been taken care of.

Griner takes pressure off of her too.

So if there is a dip, I don’t think it will be a big one.

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/highposthoops.com/2019/04/24/phoenix-mercury-gm-jim-pitman-on-why-his-team-can-win-the-2019-wnba-championship/amp/

Quote:
Are the Mercury planning to make any additions to the coaching staff for this season to replace Todd Troxel (who was dismissed in January following assault charges stemming from a domestic dispute with fiancee) or supplement what you have in place?

“We are and we’re very close to announcing that, we’re just not quite there yet, we’re just hammering out some final details and there will be an announcement on that in the coming days
.”

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: