RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jackie Young

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 04/12/19 1:36 pm    ::: Jackie Young Reply Reply with quote

Princeton mayor Brad Schmitt talks Jackie Young
https://www.tristatehomepage.com/sports/web-exclusive-princeton-mayor-brad-schmitt-talks-jackie-young/1916215611

Former Princeton head coach Charles Mair discusses Jackie Young
https://www.tristatehomepage.com/sports/web-exclusive-former-princeton-head-coach-charles-mair-discusses-jackie-young/1916248865

The Las Vegas Aces had been targeting Jackie Young for a while
https://highposthoops.com/2019/04/11/las-vegas-aces-targeting-jackie-young/

toad455

PostPosted: 04/12/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe if the Aces and Laimbeer wanted her that badly, the rumored trade talks are just that, rumors.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/13/19 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She actually makes sense, being a Laimbeer-style player who can immediately start at SF yet also play multiple perimeter positions. And she can be lead guard, which was probably a key to his decision. Not that he plans on playing her there heavily, but that it gives his team a ton of lineup flexibility. Trading Jefferson is certainly an option.

PostPosted: 04/13/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she'll be a good guard, but not a super star. And I don't see the 'lead' guard stuff.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/13/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why? She brought up the ball at ND a decent amount and is an excellent passer/playmaker.

PostPosted: 04/13/19 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Why? She brought up the ball at ND a decent amount and is an excellent passer/playmaker.

It will be a lot harder to bring the ball up against WNBA defenders. That ball handling skill level is yet to be demonstrated, but it could be there. I would expect Young to have a better chance of playing point guard in the WNBA than Mabury. It should be better for her career if she can play guard because she looks WNBA guard-sized to me.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/13/19 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

as tfan said. It didn't look to me like she has the handle needed for a PG. She may be able to initiate the offense, but so can C. Parker. That doesn't make her a PG or 'lead' guard. I think she'll struggle if used that way, but if he uses her as a defensive three who can sometimes slash, that should work. And she strikes me as someone who will work hard to improve.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 04/13/19 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So then it looks like LV goes with

1 - Plum/MoJeff/Allen or Chong?
2 - McBride/Rodgers
3 - Young Young/Old Young
4 - Wilson/Hamby or Harrison?
5 - Swords/Harrison/Park/Bone

I forget who else they have. Seems like a very solid team, playoffs for sure. Need a better 5.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/13/19 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, Young doesn't really need to be a point guard on this team. They have Plum, and Jefferson (for now), and maybe Allen as well. But I think what we'll see is Young in something like the Vickie Johnson role to Plum's Becky Hammon, or even the Alexis Hornbuckle role from Laimbeer's first couple of years in Detroit. Being an additional ballhandler takes pressure off the other ones out there, and being another offensive threat that defenses have to worry about helps everyone.

But man, she better either be working on her outside shot or be really, really effective off the dribble because otherwise teams are just gonna leave her open to clog the lanes for Wilson and contest Plum and McBride outside. Then she's just Tamera Young redux, except at the cost of the #1 overall pick.

PostPosted: 04/13/19 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she was the perfect pick, with her and the acquisition of Rodgers both Jefferson and T. Young(I’m not sure about her contract) become expendable and could be packaged for a solid post...maybe? Just a thought or hope/prayer because they need a defensive center.

PostPosted: 04/14/19 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

It will be a lot harder to bring the ball up against WNBA defenders. That ball handling skill level is yet to be demonstrated, but it could be there. I would expect Young to have a better chance of playing point guard in the WNBA than Mabury. It should be better for her career if she can play guard because she looks WNBA guard-sized to me.

I'm looking more at multi-year development being a strong possibility. That's how I tend to look at draft picks. It might also be an option down the road this year if someone else gets moved. I see her as the opening night SF. I'd imagine Laimbeer does too or else she wouldn't have been drafted #1 overall.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: