RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that didn’t take long. Megan Duffy is the new Marquette Coach.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

I think that you will like Megan.

And that one article said that the AD was at ND, so he may know her from there and that sped things along.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

Seems like a good hire!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Seems like a good hire!

I think so too - wish I could go to the press conference today...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Seems like a good hire!

Agreed! When I stupidly thought that the new Purdue AD would care about the program, she was on my short list to replace Versyp.

Alas ...

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 04/10/19 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

I was surprised by the hire, even though I was impressed by the way she turned Miami's program around in her two years there. But the success she's had has come about almost completely with the players she inherited. None of the five freshmen or two sophomores she recruited averaged even 2 ppg or 2 rpg this season, with the exception of one freshman who played in only 9 games before being lost to injury. How well she can recruit is certainly open to question at this point.

Also, the RedHawks faded at the end of this season, losing 5 of their last 7 games after leading the MAC for much of the year. They lost first round WNIT home games in both of Duffy's seasons there. So I would grade her body of work at Miami as incomplete to date. She may turn out to be the next great young coach, or she may be the next Sylvia Crawley.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carley Kuhns named HC at Samford. She spent last 3 seasons at Valdosta State

https://samfordsports.com/news/2019/4/9/samford-tabs-kuhns-to-lead-womens-basketball-program.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/10/19 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Furman AC rejoins former boss, Matt Daniel, at Arkansas State in AC role

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211799172

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

@Raoul_000
Megan Duffy named the new Marquette WBB coach; she spent the last two seasons as Miami (Ohio) head coach, compiling an overall record of 44-20; she was an asst. coach at Michigan before that
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1115977804250800128

Marquette Names Megan Duffy Head WBB Coach
Former Miami (Ohio) coach owns 13 postseason appearances as player and coach
https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/4/10/womens-basketball-marquette-names-megan-duffy-head-wbb-coach.aspx

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Marquette Names Megan Duffy Head WBB Coach
Former Miami (Ohio) coach owns 13 postseason appearances as player and coach
https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/4/10/womens-basketball-marquette-names-megan-duffy-head-wbb-coach.aspx

Excerpt:

Duffy arrives at Marquette after leading Miami (Ohio) to a pair of Women's National Invitation Tournament appearances during her two-year tenure with the program. Miami finished the season with a 23-9 overall record and a 13-5 Mid-American Conference mark in 2018-19 and reached 20 wins in back-to-back seasons for the first time since the 1980's.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I think that you will like Megan.

And that one article said that the AD was at ND, so he may know her from there and that sped things along.

Yeah the AD mentioned today that he knew Duffy from his time at ND. I switched around my schedule a bit and headed to the press conference today. It was a nice turnout which was good to see. I also liked seeing all the returning players there (no guarantee they'll all stay though I know). I got a chance to briefly meet her after the press conference and introduced myself as a long time crazy fan Smile.

She'll be busy now trying to contact the 8 recruits that Kieger had signed for 19-20 although one of them is from Australia and enrolled at Marquette in January so she was at the press conference today.

One fun thing I found out today is that they're working on putting a video scoreboard at the Al - have been wanting to see that there for awhile.

Fun fact (credit to Anonymous Eagle for this) - the Big East now has 3 head coaches who were assistants under Kim Barnes Arico either at St. John's or Michigan (or both in Duffy's case) - Megan Duffy at MU, Melanie Moore at Xavier now who was an asst. at Michigan and Joe Tartamella at St. John's.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/11/19 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan is a class act. I think you will really enjoy having her there.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/11/19 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arkansas State hires 2nd AC … Aaron Holland

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211799344

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/11/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, any chance Nell hires Holly?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/11/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cincy promotes an interim assistant to full time. https://gobearcats.com/news/2019/4/11/womens-basketball-dixon-promoted-to-full-time-assistant-coach.aspx

Howee

PostPosted: 04/11/19 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody heard anything re: Missouri State's replacement process?

PostPosted: 04/11/19 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Anybody heard anything re: Missouri State's replacement process?

Nope - wonder if Jackie Stiles is interested though.

It's such a domino effect obviously with the coaching changes. I was feeling bad for Miami now having to find a new coach after Duffy left there to replace Kieger.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/12/19 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Seems like a good hire!

Agreed! When I stupidly thought that the new Purdue AD would care about the program, she was on my short list to replace Versyp.

Megan Duffy would have been great for Purdue! She is from the Dayton (Kettering) Ohio area, and played PG at Notre Dame.

After AC stops with St. John's, George Washington, and Michigan, she took over the Miami program which had the following records in the four years before her arrival (under former HC Cleve Wright):
Code:

2013–14    8–22    
2014–15    7–23    
2015–16    9–21    
2016–17    11–21    

In two years, this is what Duffy accomplished:
Code:
2017–18    21–6    12-5, 2nd in the MAC East; WNIT berth
2018–19    23–9    13-6, 2nd in the MAC East; WNIT berth

It should be noted that Duffy accomplished this during a time when the MAC has been a very good basketball conference. In 2017-18, both Central Michigan and Buffalo made the NCAAT Sweet 16. In 2018-19, CMU, as the #9 seed, lost by one point to #8 MSU in the first round, while Buffalo, as the #10 seed, upset #7 Rutgers before succumbing to #1 UConn in Storrs, 84-72 (and Buffalo rallied to make it a game, trailing by eight points with 2:41 to go).

Now, would she have had enough experience (in the mind of the AD/administration) as a HC for a program like Purdue, which has a rich and storied history? Maybe, maybe not. But -- and I do not mean disrespect to Purdue -- the Boilermakers have not been a factor on the national scene in a decade. After two Elite Eights in 2007 (her first year) and 2009, Sharon Versyp has not made it past the NCAA Second Round since. And her teams have missed the NCAAT three times in the past five seasons, not to mention that her teams have only finished in the top five in the Big Ten once in the last five years.

Purdue, like Duke, has severely fallen off the national scene. Purdue, like Duke, hired someone who was the former HC of Main (Joanne P. McCallie was Maine's HC from 1992-2000; Versyp was Maine's HC from 2000-2005). Purdue, like Duke, has an AD who backs his women's basketball coach, despite the downward trend of the program.

But congratulations are in order to Marquette, which gets a young, up-and-coming coach who has proven that she can do an immediate turnaround of a program and develop players at a mid-major school in a very good conference (MAC). While Marquette loses at LOT to graduation, Doug Bruno/DePaul and rest of the Big East should watch out for Duffy.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/12/19 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ECU hires ACs … staff brought over from Hartford

https://ecupirates.com/news/2019/4/12/trio-joins-ecu-womens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/12/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawaii has opening as Courtney Locke has taken HC job at Purdue-Northwest (D2)

http://www.pnwathletics.com/athletics/generalreleases/2018-19/4924/courtney-locke-named-head-womens-basketball-coach/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/12/19 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Hawaii has opening as Courtney Locke has taken HC job at Purdue-Northwest (D2)

http://www.pnwathletics.com/athletics/generalreleases/2018-19/4924/courtney-locke-named-head-womens-basketball-coach/

I hope that she knows what she is getting into! The weather up there can be brutal in the winter. Snow and wind and cold! That north wind coming off of the lake can bring in lake effect snow falls in the 2' range with no problem!

Big change from Hawaii!!!

PrideFan

PostPosted: 04/13/19 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hofstra welcomes back Danielle Santos-Atkinson as head coach. Was most recently the associate head coach at Pitt. Her coaching career started at HU, as an assistant.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/4/12/wbb-hofstra-welcomes-back-danielle-santos-atkinson-as-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PrideFan wrote:
Hofstra welcomes back Danielle Santos-Atkinson as head coach. Was most recently the associate head coach at Pitt. Her coaching career started at HU, as an assistant.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/4/12/wbb-hofstra-welcomes-back-danielle-santos-atkinson-as-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Isn't she also a Hofstra alum, or not? The tweet made it sound like she was.

PostPosted: 04/14/19 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PrideFan wrote:

Isn't she also a Hofstra alum, or not? The tweet made it sound like she was.

She graduated from Florida in 2005 and I believe she played from Krista Kilburn-Stevesky in High School at Wheeler

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/14/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missed posting that Cleve Wright (former Miami OH HC) was named Gannon HC. He was at Eastern Illinois last few years as AC.

https://eiupanthers.com/news/2019/4/5/womens-basketball-wright-returns-to-gannon-as-head-coach.aspx?path=wbball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 8 of 33

Jump to: