RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Draft - 4/10/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/11/19 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This crew calls everybody pro-ready. Give me a break.

Last night's first round analysis had a lot of discussions of Xs and Os, types of offensive schemes in which players were successful (and a few in which they were not), etc.

It was much more substantive analysis than drafts of yesteryear.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Just not feeling Jackie Young as a #1. I can see her playing minutes as a defensive presence but I will be shocked if she is the best player (or even close) in this class in five years. I guess the question will be if she can develop some offense outside of 8'. And really T. Young took a long time, but she's no longer quite the offensive liability that she once was so it's possible.

And Vegas still needs a true big. Will they get one somewhere via trade?

She shot 45% from the arc, and made innumerable shots from the elbow. Not sure where your 8' comes from.

31 attempts in 38 games. I guess with the 198 shot by AO and the 196 shot by MM, there wasn't room/need.

It will be interesting to see if the 45% maintains with an increased volume, should one occur.

PostPosted: 04/11/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My grades for each team.

J-Spoon wrote:
Trying to understand the draft by J-Spoon

B- Coach must bought into the notion that Young is the second coming of Nolan.

Pick #1 Vegas Young. I get it, if Laimbeer doesn't feel that McCowan or Brown is all that, and has a vision of the 2019 Aces where Wilson might be on the floor just as much with Harrison and Hamby as she will be with Swords, Bone and Park maybe there isn't that much of a need for a better Center. Wilson can kind of play Center and probably plays better in the post on offense without a true center on the floor. The next biggest need is SF. What makes Young a good fit with LV is that she has the size and defense to play and defend 3s with the handles to sometimes play point allowing Plum to move to playing off the ball sometimes on offense. Young slashing to the basket with McBride and Plum on the perimeter mitigates her possible lack of a 3 point shot, so I get this pick and thought it could go down this way.

B - Probably deserve a A (Durr probably had the Liberty as soon as they saw her commecial 10 years ago.)

Pick #2 NY Durr All season long I was saying NY needed a scorer and shot creator with the long ball Durr has all that and on top of that doesn't turn the ball over and is bigger than Arike and a better defender which might fit better with NY. For two season Charles has been the only double digit scorer on the Liberty I would bet that ends now Durr will probably average 12ppg or more if she starts and becomes the answer as to who is the #2 scorer and what perimeter player has the balls in their hand a crunch time when you need a basket. #14 Han Xu NY is size challenges enter 6' 9" Han Xu, she will block more shots than Stokes or Zahui B in half the minutes and with Stokes and Zahui on board she can be brought along slowly. Come 2021 when NY is entering its 2nd season in Brooklyn Han Xu will be the same age as Brown and McCowan are now, while getting two years of pro and International experience under her belt in the mean time at #14 a project like that is worth the risk. Huff at 26 is a very reasonable pick but it is hard for 3rd rounders to make a team a few might I am not sure Huff is one of them but she brings a different skill set to the floor.

A - finally someone to take advantage of the Offensive Rebound Opportunities that are in almost unlimited supply with Poison, T and K Mitchell and the rest of the Fever.

#3 Indy T-McCowan Indy need a rim protector Indy got a rim protector. Some say McCowan is a poor man's Fowles, well Pokey coached the real Fowles and might be able to get McCowan to the next level. At #3 size and potential added to K. Mitchell hopefully reaching her potential PG and C are solved for the next 5 years in Indy. Kea if you were asking me what 3rd rounder has the best chance to make a team it is Kea, granted she was the first pick of the 3rd round so she should be, but with K. Mitchell and Wheeler both being scoring PG who can play some SG a 3rd scoring PG who can play some SG might seem redundant but to me it seems like a good fit alll three of those players can be paired with each other in the back-court or the bigger guards. Robinson will have to fight I think ATM she is the 7th post and since most teams only go with 5 her odds aren't good but at 28 she is still a good pick.

D - I'd give them an M for Mystery, but I don't there is any mystery here. They just blew it.

#4 KLS Chicago OK this is where it gets weird IMO unless you think Ch. Parker or G. Williams is your starting PF I would have looked at Anigwe or even Turner, though it isn't completely out of the question that Chicago thinks KLS can play some 2,3 and 4. KLS as the 4 pick looks to me like CHicago is going to just try and out score/shoot everyone. You got Sloot/Quigley with Copper and Falkner of the bench as the back-court with Deshields, KLS and G. Williams holding down the 3 and Ch Parker, N'Dour if she shows, Dolson and Coates up front I am just not sure where KLS is going to get her minutes CH. Jackson is some nice insurance at the back PG spot if Faulkner is still struggling with her health, Conde plays with N'Dour maybe her addition help get N'Dour back in town or maybe they both sit out for all the National team stuff. So someone said KLS for rookie of the year but unless she kills it she will be behind Quigley, Deshields, Williams, and Copper in the depth chart at her positions so I understand how this pick is confusing.

A Got the best scorer in the draft, best clutch shooter and will get the second best 5 (or maybe even the best) when they unload Lizilla for Brown.

#5 Ogunbowale to Dallas. In a very early mock I had this, I do believe that Diggins-Smith and Ogunbowale could be an interesting tandem in the future, sort of a duo lead guard situation allowing each to initiate the offense as well as play off the ball. This season with SDS out for awhile is a good time to experiment with Arike at the point, McCarty is the only other Point on the squad at the moment unless Seakamp sneaks in as a fill time PG and I am not even sure McCarty can make it in the W at her size, I mean I love me some FLB but I would probably go with Arike at the point over Brooke and Arike can easily knock off one of the SGs even without her possible point playing experiment. With that said I was surprised they didn't grab Brown to off set the loss of Cambage. But who knows what happens there. I also though Arike was a good fit with LA so swapping Brown and Ogunbowale as part of abigger trade that land Cambage in LA doesn't seem out of the question. Gustafson at 17 I am not as high on her as others but there is room at the 4/5 if nothing comes of the Cambage situation Johnson, Stevens, Thorton, Gustafson, Plaisance, George that is 6 but with Stevens and Thorton able to do the 3 and the 4 there is room for one more post Gustafson might be able to get ahead of George but no trade I could see all six of those players on the final roster in some configiration. Burke is a big guard who shoots the 3 and with a new coach in town, it will be a challenge for her to make the final squad but I don't think Davis or Hill should be that comfortable neither strikes me as an Agler type.

B (Could have taken Brown)

#6 Minny Collier, this was another pick I though was going to happen for a while. Reeves worked with Collier on Team USA and I always felt like she like her. Some of us have questio about what position she plays but if instead of being a tweener if Collier is a multi position player like Cash or Catching she fills a need in Minn who is missing Moore at the 3 and probably Brunson at the 4 so Napheesa should get ample opportunity to get some run at the three and the four with the Lynx, she seems to be hard working and her skills will probably mesh nicely with Fowles who she probably got some reps in with over the summer with team USA. Shepard another team USA alum and a player he gives off some J-Mac vibe, I think she makes the final roster. Heideman traded for Brown change of scenery opportunity for a player many thought highly of, maybe it is Minny's turn to poach and under utilized player and get the most out of them. Dillard and Bell might both have too much of an uphill battle to get to the final roster but if either show flashes of more potential or fit than Brown who only just arrived for a 2nd rounf pick or Jones who hasn't really set the Lynx world a blaze who know? I think neither make it but wish them them best, someone was going to give Dillard a chance and a good camp could get her picked up somewhere else. Bell has that local connection but is certainly a capable PG I think she has a Wagner of a chance and if not Minny just got her paid better over-seas.

A = Sets up the Cabbage trade. There is no better answer to the question "What can Brown do for you."

#7 LA Brown If there isn't a trade Brown is bigger younger Lavender she can give them 10 minutes a night and will have time to develop seems like a good position for Kalani to be in, but I won't be shocked if she ends up in Dallas (Ogwumike and Brown for Cambage and Ogunbowale makes sense to me, stop low balling LA I want Liz in the league and Nneka out of Parker's shadow and leading a team (no Shade on Parker I like her a lot but it is time to break that pairing up). Mabrey could sneak into that back up PG spot even when they get Gray back in the fold I see Sims at the 2 and Beard at the 3 and there is only camp invites competing for the back up/back up PG spot Mabrey could squeak in if she can get past Goodwin. Mabrey is used to be the 5th option which might be a better fit for what LA needs.

B+ Just tooo obvious. This is the only that nearly every mock draft got right. Even mine. Unloaded Gulich for the small economy sized non scoring Griner. Picked up my choice for Dream too. What did the Dream do to them?

#8 PX Smith Brodello gets her Aussie and a floor stretcging PF seems like a perfect fit in PX Gulich for Turner. I could see Turner being used 10 minutes a night behind Griner at the center as a rim protector. PX has so much scoring'shooting Turner lack of range won't hurt whether she is on with the starters or the second until. Cuningham has the 3 and the grit and also opens up the possibility (as was happening some last season) of Bonner playing more at the 4 spot. A. Carter like most 3rd round picks just has too many people ahead of her to have any sort of realistic shot at the final roster but checking out a pass first PG can't hurt if someone gets injured she could get the short term replacement call up.

A but they simply don't need her unless someone gets injured.

#9 Conn Anigwe not what I saw here at all but fit best available player mold, Brionne Jones needs to bring it in camp because Khristine seems too hungry to be denied. A. Thomas, Anigwe, Tuck, C. Ogwumike and J. Jones is a nice post rotation and Anigwe as the 4th or 5th post can come in a play super hard fouls be damned. Her rebounding on a shooting team will come in very handy. Carleton is a deadly 3 point shooter and can play some 2, 3 and even some 1 seems like a very good fit with what Curt Miller like to do on the perimeter. Heideman for Brown, Heideman has a shot, I am not sure if it is good or bad that she reminds me of Clarendon who is already there and ahead of her but most teams go 7 on the perimeter J. Thomas, Clarendon, C. Williams, Banham, Stricklen, Carleton, Heideman equals 7 so both 2nd round picks might make the final cut. This is another impossible team to make from the 3rd round.

Incomplete - she was never on my radar.

#10 Was K. Leslie there seems to be one spot on the perimeter available Toliver, Cloud, Atkins, SWK, Powers and Leslie. Yeah works a do everything guard who can play some 2 and some 3 would seem to fit. Mike T likes to keep us on our toes but with the success of Atkins last year I am not going to question it. Fuehring in the 3rd round with Meeseman returning, EDD, Sanders, Hawkins and her Louisville sister Hines-Allen coming off a strong rookie season I think it will be hard to break through.

Y - as whY did they do this?

#11 Atl trading Turner was a surprise (I kind of like Turner there) Gulich seems like she is there to knock Imani off the team. Colleen seems to go with a certain type of player and I am not sure IMS is that type and Gulich probably is. Atl could keep IMS but with Williams, Breland, Billings, and Gilich who I think gets kept if only because she traded a first round pick for her the last spot seems to be between IMS and Kizer. Cazorla at 23 makes sense she can play the 1 or the 2, she is a good compliment to ball dominant guards like Hayes, Sykes, Bentley or even Montgomery she can play 1 or 2 and guard 1 or 2 and has a 3 point shot she could make it to the team it is probably her or Dietrick but both is possible it depends on if McCoughtry counts against the roster only 1 makes it to an 11 player squad both could make it if it was 12. Li Yueru in the 3rd round nice draft and stash come 2021 its like a free pick and she'll be much more experienced

B = they get prospect that might be good and for foiling the Phoenix plot to become the Opals training camp.

#12 Sea Magbegor well Seattle can afford one project post so it is Ezi or Mercedes. Magbegor might be few inches smaller but from what I have seen she is much more physical I'd give her the edge. Howard at 24 seems like a steal. By my calculation unless Hughes wants to keep both Magbegor and Russell there is one spot on the perimeter, Quinn's old spot. I think Howard could be penciled in as the last perimeter player basically you have Clark as the starting three you can bring in KML for shooting at the 3 or Howard (the anti KLM) at the 3 for defense and athleticism. Seattle is another team where 3rd round player have basically no shot.

OMG I wrote a book

A+ for the book.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/11/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mechelle Voepel: Draft Grades

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/26498900/wnba-draft-grades-phoenix-minnesota-score-plus-marks

Quote:
In a draft that didn't have a guaranteed future superstar but featured a number of players with potential to contribute, the Lynx and the Mercury particularly stand out after filling needs with their choices.

PostPosted: 04/11/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish Voepel 's grading system was in effect when I was in school. No F's or D's, one C- and lots of B's and A's.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 04/11/19 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

OMG I wrote a book

By the standards of this board, that's freakin' War and Peace. Shocked

The classics last forever.

Word

left undrafted

PG Teniya Page
SG Aliyah Mazyck
SF Maci Morris
PF Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah
C Hallie Thome (if not injured)
espn's crawl had Christinaki #2 left

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/11/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Trying to understand the draft by J-Spoon

Pick #1 Vegas Young. I get it, if Laimbeer doesn't feel that McCowan or Brown is all that, and has a vision of the 2019 Aces where Wilson might be on the floor just as much with Harrison and Hamby as she will be with Swords, Bone and Park maybe there isn't that much of a need for a better Center. Wilson can kind of play Center and probably plays better in the post on offense without a true center on the floor. The next biggest need is SF. What makes Young a good fit with LV is that she has the size and defense to play and defend 3s with the handles to sometimes play point allowing Plum to move to playing off the ball sometimes on offense. Young slashing to the basket with McBride and Plum on the perimeter mitigates her possible lack of a 3 point shot, so I get this pick and thought it could go down this way.

GRADE: B

Pick #2 NY Durr All season long I was saying NY needed a scorer and shot creator with the long ball Durr has all that and on top of that doesn't turn the ball over and is bigger than Arike and a better defender which might fit better with NY. For two season Charles has been the only double digit scorer on the Liberty I would bet that ends now Durr will probably average 12ppg or more if she starts and becomes the answer as to who is the #2 scorer and what perimeter player has the balls in their hand a crunch time when you need a basket. #14 Han Xu NY is size challenges enter 6' 9" Han Xu, she will block more shots than Stokes or Zahui B in half the minutes and with Stokes and Zahui on board she can be brought along slowly. Come 2021 when NY is entering its 2nd season in Brooklyn Han Xu will be the same age as Brown and McCowan are now, while getting two years of pro and International experience under her belt in the mean time at #14 a project like that is worth the risk. Huff at 26 is a very reasonable pick but it is hard for 3rd rounders to make a team a few might I am not sure Huff is one of them but she brings a different skill set to the floor.

GRADE B

#3 Indy T-McCowan Indy need a rim protector Indy got a rim protector. Some say McCowan is a poor man's Fowles, well Pokey coached the real Fowles and might be able to get McCowan to the next level. At #3 size and potential added to K. Mitchell hopefully reaching her potential PG and C are solved for the next 5 years in Indy. Kea if you were asking me what 3rd rounder has the best chance to make a team it is Kea, granted she was the first pick of the 3rd round so she should be, but with K. Mitchell and Wheeler both being scoring PG who can play some SG a 3rd scoring PG who can play some SG might seem redundant but to me it seems like a good fit alll three of those players can be paired with each other in the back-court or the bigger guards. Robinson will have to fight I think ATM she is the 7th post and since most teams only go with 5 her odds aren't good but at 28 she is still a good pick.

GRADE B+

#4 KLS Chicago OK this is where it gets weird IMO unless you think Ch. Parker or G. Williams is your starting PF I would have looked at Anigwe or even Turner, though it isn't completely out of the question that Chicago thinks KLS can play some 2,3 and 4. KLS as the 4 pick looks to me like CHicago is going to just try and out score/shoot everyone. You got Sloot/Quigley with Copper and Falkner of the bench as the back-court with Deshields, KLS and G. Williams holding down the 3 and Ch Parker, N'Dour if she shows, Dolson and Coates up front I am just not sure where KLS is going to get her minutes CH. Jackson is some nice insurance at the back PG spot if Faulkner is still struggling with her health, Conde plays with N'Dour maybe her addition help get N'Dour back in town or maybe they both sit out for all the National team stuff. So someone said KLS for rookie of the year but unless she kills it she will be behind Quigley, Deshields, Williams, and Copper in the depth chart at her positions so I understand how this pick is confusing.

GRADE D-

#5 Ogunbowale to Dallas. In a very early mock I had this, I do believe that Diggins-Smith and Ogunbowale could be an interesting tandem in the future, sort of a duo lead guard situation allowing each to initiate the offense as well as play off the ball. This season with SDS out for awhile is a good time to experiment with Arike at the point, McCarty is the only other Point on the squad at the moment unless Seakamp sneaks in as a fill time PG and I am not even sure McCarty can make it in the W at her size, I mean I love me some FLB but I would probably go with Arike at the point over Brooke and Arike can easily knock off one of the SGs even without her possible point playing experiment. With that said I was surprised they didn't grab Brown to off set the loss of Cambage. But who knows what happens there. I also though Arike was a good fit with LA so swapping Brown and Ogunbowale as part of abigger trade that land Cambage in LA doesn't seem out of the question. Gustafson at 17 I am not as high on her as others but there is room at the 4/5 if nothing comes of the Cambage situation Johnson, Stevens, Thorton, Gustafson, Plaisance, George that is 6 but with Stevens and Thorton able to do the 3 and the 4 there is room for one more post Gustafson might be able to get ahead of George but no trade I could see all six of those players on the final roster in some configiration. Burke is a big guard who shoots the 3 and with a new coach in town, it will be a challenge for her to make the final squad but I don't think Davis or Hill should be that comfortable neither strikes me as an Agler type.

GRADE C

#6 Minny Collier, this was another pick I though was going to happen for a while. Reeves worked with Collier on Team USA and I always felt like she like her. Some of us have questio about what position she plays but if instead of being a tweener if Collier is a multi position player like Cash or Catching she fills a need in Minn who is missing Moore at the 3 and probably Brunson at the 4 so Napheesa should get ample opportunity to get some run at the three and the four with the Lynx, she seems to be hard working and her skills will probably mesh nicely with Fowles who she probably got some reps in with over the summer with team USA. Shepard another team USA alum and a player he gives off some J-Mac vibe, I think she makes the final roster. Heideman traded for Brown change of scenery opportunity for a player many thought highly of, maybe it is Minny's turn to poach and under utilized player and get the most out of them. Dillard and Bell might both have too much of an uphill battle to get to the final roster but if either show flashes of more potential or fit than Brown who only just arrived for a 2nd rounf pick or Jones who hasn't really set the Lynx world a blaze who know? I think neither make it but wish them them best, someone was going to give Dillard a chance and a good camp could get her picked up somewhere else. Bell has that local connection but is certainly a capable PG I think she has a Wagner of a chance and if not Minny just got her paid better over-seas.

GRADE B+

#7 LA Brown If there isn't a trade Brown is bigger younger Lavender she can give them 10 minutes a night and will have time to develop seems like a good position for Kalani to be in, but I won't be shocked if she ends up in Dallas (Ogwumike and Brown for Cambage and Ogunbowale makes sense to me, stop low balling LA I want Liz in the league and Nneka out of Parker's shadow and leading a team (no Shade on Parker I like her a lot but it is time to break that pairing up). Mabrey could sneak into that back up PG spot even when they get Gray back in the fold I see Sims at the 2 and Beard at the 3 and there is only camp invites competing for the back up/back up PG spot Mabrey could squeak in if she can get past Goodwin. Mabrey is used to be the 5th option which might be a better fit for what LA needs.

GRADE B-

#8 PX Smith Brodello gets her Aussie and a floor stretcging PF seems like a perfect fit in PX Gulich for Turner. I could see Turner being used 10 minutes a night behind Griner at the center as a rim protector. PX has so much scoring'shooting Turner lack of range won't hurt whether she is on with the starters or the second until. Cuningham has the 3 and the grit and also opens up the possibility (as was happening some last season) of Bonner playing more at the 4 spot. A. Carter like most 3rd round picks just has too many people ahead of her to have any sort of realistic shot at the final roster but checking out a pass first PG can't hurt if someone gets injured she could get the short term replacement call up.

GRADE B

#9 Conn Anigwe not what I saw here at all but fit best available player mold, Brionne Jones needs to bring it in camp because Khristine seems too hungry to be denied. A. Thomas, Anigwe, Tuck, C. Ogwumike and J. Jones is a nice post rotation and Anigwe as the 4th or 5th post can come in a play super hard fouls be damned. Her rebounding on a shooting team will come in very handy. Carleton is a deadly 3 point shooter and can play some 2, 3 and even some 1 seems like a very good fit with what Curt Miller like to do on the perimeter. Heideman for Brown, Heideman has a shot, I am not sure if it is good or bad that she reminds me of Clarendon who is already there and ahead of her but most teams go 7 on the perimeter J. Thomas, Clarendon, C. Williams, Banham, Stricklen, Carleton, Heideman equals 7 so both 2nd round picks might make the final cut. This is another impossible team to make from the 3rd round.

GRADE C+

#10 Was K. Leslie there seems to be one spot on the perimeter available Toliver, Cloud, Atkins, SWK, Powers and Leslie. Yeah works a do everything guard who can play some 2 and some 3 would seem to fit. Mike T likes to keep us on our toes but with the success of Atkins last year I am not going to question it. Fuehring in the 3rd round with Meeseman returning, EDD, Sanders, Hawkins and her Louisville sister Hines-Allen coming off a strong rookie season I think it will be hard to break through.

GRADE C-

#11 Atl trading Turner was a surprise (I kind of like Turner there) Gulich seems like she is there to knock Imani off the team. Colleen seems to go with a certain type of player and I am not sure IMS is that type and Gulich probably is. Atl could keep IMS but with Williams, Breland, Billings, and Gilich who I think gets kept if only because she traded a first round pick for her the last spot seems to be between IMS and Kizer. Cazorla at 23 makes sense she can play the 1 or the 2, she is a good compliment to ball dominant guards like Hayes, Sykes, Bentley or even Montgomery she can play 1 or 2 and guard 1 or 2 and has a 3 point shot she could make it to the team it is probably her or Dietrick but both is possible it depends on if McCoughtry counts against the roster only 1 makes it to an 11 player squad both could make it if it was 12. Li Yueru in the 3rd round nice draft and stash come 2021 its like a free pick and she'll be much more experienced

GRADE C+

#12 Sea Magbegor well Seattle can afford one project post so it is Ezi or Mercedes. Magbegor might be few inches smaller but from what I have seen she is much more physical I'd give her the edge. Howard at 24 seems like a steal. By my calculation unless Hughes wants to keep both Magbegor and Russell there is one spot on the perimeter, Quinn's old spot. I think Howard could be penciled in as the last perimeter player basically you have Clark as the starting three you can bring in KML for shooting at the 3 or Howard (the anti KLM) at the 3 for defense and athleticism. Seattle is another team where 3rd round player have basically no shot.

GRADE C+

By FAR, worst pick was Samuelson to Chicago. The biggest need was a big, banging Center and logjam was 3-4, with lots of pretenders. They added another UConn pretender to the stable. To be fair, Collier would have been the same bad fit, Gabby part 2. KLS simply has not shown her body can take the brutality of pro ball. VERY bad pick, or normal for Chicago. No matter who is making the Sky picks, they continue to be just plain BAD.

OMG I wrote a book

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/11/19 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago Sky GM James Wade considers WNBA Draft a success

Quote:
Wade wasn’t looking for a core player to build his team around. . . . Instead, he was looking for an all-around athlete who would complement his roster.

And Wade thinks forward Katie Lou Samuelson fits that definition.

While most people expected the Sky to go for a center, the team went in another direction . . . .

‘‘We were the surprise pick, and part of the reason is because no one really knows what I want to do and how we want to play,’’ . . . ‘‘They just look at our roster and just plug a person in, and that’s the easiest thing to do. They say, ‘OK, this team needs that,’ but nobody really knows my style of play.’’

. . . .

‘‘. . . [Samuelson] could end up being a cornerstone of how we want to play and what we want to do.’
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/11/19 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Chicago Sky GM James Wade considers WNBA Draft a success

Quote:
Wade wasn’t looking for a core player to build his team around. . . . Instead, he was looking for an all-around athlete who would complement his roster.

And Wade thinks forward Katie Lou Samuelson fits that definition.

While most people expected the Sky to go for a center, the team went in another direction . . . .

‘‘We were the surprise pick, and part of the reason is because no one really knows what I want to do and how we want to play,’’ . . . ‘‘They just look at our roster and just plug a person in, and that’s the easiest thing to do. They say, ‘OK, this team needs that,’ but nobody really knows my style of play.’’

. . . .

‘‘. . . [Samuelson] could end up being a cornerstone of how we want to play and what we want to do.’

Huh?

Is that gibberish supposed to make anyone feel better about his pick?
Is he angling for the "mad genious" title?

At least he demonstrates self-awareness that most people think his picks suck. That's a start, I suppose.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/11/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, what was Wade supposed to say? Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/11/19 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
I mean, what was Wade supposed to say? Laughing

oops I blew it! And now everyone will know that I don't know anything about women's basketball in the wnba.

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/12/19 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wade's vision for the Sky is to have KLS play the power forward position. Smile

PostPosted: 04/12/19 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Wade's vision for the Sky is to have KLS play the power forward position. Smile

So Williams and Samuelson at PF? how soon before he's fired?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/12/19 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Wade thought KLS was the clear best player available, then that's fine with me. Taking the BPA is always acceptable. It's just that there was no consensus on these players, so to an outsider it seemed to make more sense to draft for need. However, the man says he has a plan. Unquestionably the style of play and how players fit into your scheme is very important. So, we'll just have to wait and see if he can make the seemingly overlapping pieces fit together.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or alternatively, DeShields could be asked to defend 4s, and he could be hoping to basically play 4-out lineups with lots of shooters. We've certainly seen that kind of approach have success in the NBA, and if you put something like Vandersloot/Quigley/Samuelson/DeShields/Dolson on the floor that's a hell of a lot of shooting. We don't know how good of a head coach Wade is, but we've also seen WNBA coaches like Agler, Thibault and Reeve piece together decent defenses from seemingly mediocre parts. If you can get to an average defense while shooting the lights out, that can win a bunch of games.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Or alternatively, DeShields could be asked to defend 4s, and he could be hoping to basically play 4-out lineups with lots of shooters. We've certainly seen that kind of approach have success in the NBA, and if you put something like Vandersloot/Quigley/Samuelson/DeShields/Dolson on the floor that's a hell of a lot of shooting. We don't know how good of a head coach Wade is, but we've also seen WNBA coaches like Agler, Thibault and Reeve piece together decent defenses from seemingly mediocre parts. If you can get to an average defense while shooting the lights out, that can win a bunch of games.

And it is not like DeShields' defense would be any worse at the four as it is at other positions.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/12/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

And it is not like DeShields' defense would be any worse at the four as it is at other positions.

Would it be worse than d played at the 4 by Gabby or Katie Lou?

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/16/19 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if it was posted elsewhere but the league did an analysis for each team on their draft picks.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2019-team-by-team-analysis/

Quote:
New York Liberty
• 1st Round/2nd Overall: Asia Durr, Guard, Louisville
• 2nd Round/14th Overall: Han Xu, Center, China
• 3rd Round/26th Overall: Megan Huff, Forward, Utah

The Liberty finished last season as the second-lowest scoring team in the league with only Tina Charles averaging double figures in points. They had to get a playmaking guard that can score and help take some of the load off of Charles’ shoulders. Enter Asia Durr, one of the purest scorers in college basketball this season and a player that should be able to contribute right away for the Liberty. Durr has a pair of 47-point games on her resume and the ability to score on all three levels – she’s has the quickness and creativity to get to the basket in isolation sets, her threat to drive allows her to get open pull-ups, which she knocks down regularly and she made 96 3-pointers this season at Louisville.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/23/19 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All but one first round pick made a roster(#12 - Ezi Magbegor's rights are held by Seattle).

Gustafson was the lowest pick waived(#17).

Arica Carter was the highest pick to make a roster(#32).

First round: 11/12 (92%)
Second round: 8/12 (75%)
Third round: 2/12 (17%)
Total: 21/36 (58%)

Ezi Magbegor(#12), Maria Conde(#27), Angela Salvadores(#31) & Li Yueru(#35) all have their rights held by their teams that drafted them.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/24/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's an interesting shot from the draft room in the new Mystics video

Seems to be players divided by position and ranked within them? Empty space is probably Young. If my deduction is correct there are some interesting things here. My prediction of Cunningham was way off, as they had not only Leslie, but also Anriel Howard ahead of her. The question mark next to Shepard's height is a nice touch and they seemed to be high on Fuehring. Anigwe>McCowan and Turner>Brown seem to be interesting deviations from the consensus.

Maybe I'm way off and just reading too much into it though.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/24/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

think what would have happened if somebody turned on the fan... Wink

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 05/24/19 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See, it's not just Trudi and her whiteboard. It's something in the franchise DNA.

PostPosted: 05/24/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He had Leslie ranked #3 among SF. I would have had her #7 among the players he had classified as SF, one behind Burke. Adding Burke and cutting Leslie would be quite painless in my mind. Leslie is probably a little more offensive-minded. Thibault praised Leslie for her defense, but Burke is probably better in that regard.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/24/19 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leslie may be able to play this season. Thibault has a keen eye for rookies, so I think he holds on to her for now.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/24/19 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
See, it's not just Trudi and her whiteboard. It's something in the franchise DNA.

I was thinking the same thing. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: