RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let the Transfers Begin! And other Attrition/injury 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note: "USC" means Southern California. South Carolina is not "USC," despite a recent push to claim the letters.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Just a note: "USC" means Southern California. South Carolina is not "USC," despite a recent push to claim the letters.

Since when did you care so much about USC? Very Happy

Also, is that an actual thing? I've heard people in the South refer to the state university as "USC" before - is it an actual claim one can make over another university?

Reminds me of USF - to West Coast people it means University of San Francisco, the older, Jesuit university, but I'm hearing the "USF" name more and more for the state university down in Tampa, FL. The Dons are an older institution so do they get to claim "USF"?

According to Wikipedia, the University of South Carolina also goes by "USC" and "Carolina" and was technically South Carolina College from 1801 to 1906 so while older, it had a different moniker. USC in LA was started in 1880 so who gets the claim?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Also, is that an actual thing? I've heard people in the South refer to the state university as "USC" before - is it an actual claim one can make over another university?

Reminds me of USF - to West Coast people it means University of San Francisco, the older, Jesuit university, but I'm hearing the "USF" name more and more for the state university down in Tampa, FL. The Dons are an older institution so do they get to claim "USF"?

According to Wikipedia, the University of South Carolina also goes by "USC" and "Carolina" and was technically South Carolina College from 1801 to 1906 so while older, it had a different moniker. USC in LA was started in 1880 so who gets the claim?

There are lots of identical college acronyms. One of the largest is "UT". To me, UT was always Texas and not just because I lived in Austin for two years in the 70's. I never knew Tennessee was UT until I came on WCBB boards about 20 years ago. To differentiate, I use "UTenn" or "UTK" for the school in Knoxville.
LitePal

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a UCLA fan but those USC departures in themselves won't mean anything except for Moore and possibly Archer. Effa and Milisic never played and both have their degrees. Jones averaged 3.6 pts and 3.2 rebounds and Tapley averaged 5 pts and 6 rebounds last season.

As for Trakh's reputation as a coach and mentor, Sue Favor did her own research and came up with a glowing article.

http://hoopism.blogspot.com/2010/06/on-mark-trakh-new-associate-head-coach.html

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a question. I have seen on a couple other sites people referring to spring signing day when they are talking about transfers. I thought that only related to high school NLI signings. I know when my daughter transferred two years ago, she received her release and signed with her new school a week later, in March. Has this changed?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
I have a question. I have seen on a couple other sites people referring to spring signing day when they are talking about transfers. I thought that only related to high school NLI signings. I know when my daughter transferred two years ago, she received her release and signed with her new school a week later, in March. Has this changed?

I believe you are correct on both counts.

Signing days or signing periods only relate to NLI's. The NLI early signing period for this upcoming season is Nov. 14-21 and the regular signing period is April 17-May 15. Most recruits in fact sign during the early period and not the regular period.

A student who gets a release can talk to anyone permitted by the release and thereafter sign no matter what time of year it is.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sidney. Cooks the 6'4" forward from Michigan State is in the portal. IIRC.Cooks time at East Lansing has been speckled with injuries and tho highly regarded out of HS, her development has been slow. She seemed to come on the latter part of this season.

Spartans were an I up and down team this season but one bright spot was Jenna Allen in the post. She graduated and now Cooks is gone. The plethora of posts that are returning are scattered throughout the underclass Ranks and pretty inexperienced.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Te’a Cooper has entered her name into the transfer portal.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Kinda surprised at this. Wouldn't have been surprised had she stated she was going pro.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the backstory behind Cuevas-Moore transferring and then deciding not to transfer? It seemed like Dawn had a longer leash on her this season as opposed to years past. That might've been out of necessity.

Maybe these SC transfers are just a bargaining chip in the "I still want to play, even with the new freshman" game.

Would Te'a have to sit out a year? Hasn't she graduated yet? Who knows where she'd land...

PostPosted: 04/10/19 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Well, that certainly speaks to a slightly malcontent persona. I mean, this kid has 'sat out' more than she's played, no? Shocked

PostPosted: 04/10/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tea's finishing her 4th year of college. She committed to UNC, decommitted, then played one year at Tenn, missed a year of play due to a knee injury, was "suggested" to leave by the school in lieu of facing disciplinary proceedings for a fight and academic issues, transferred, sat out the required year after having an appeal denied, and played one year at SoCar. I can't see how she can transfer again unless it's as a grad transfer, but what do I know.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/10/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Tea's finishing her 4th year of college. She committed to UNC, decommitted, then played one year at Tenn, missed a year of play due to a knee injury, was "suggested" to leave by the school in lieu of facing disciplinary proceedings for a fight and academic issues, transferred, sat out the required year after having an appeal denied, and played one year at SoCar. I can't see how she can transfer again unless it's as a grad transfer, but what do I know.

Chloe Jackson started her career at NC State, transferred to LSU, graduated and then grad transferred for her one season at Baylor....where she became the MOP of the FF. In essence, Cooper could do the same.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/10/19 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right, Tea could transfer as a grad transfer, but not as a college student. She's had four years to play two, and one appeal denied already. I can't see how they're going decide she's under some hardship now and either grant another appeal or give her six years to play three.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/19 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tea Cooper annoys me. I liked her from watching the MTV True Life Ep which pegged her as the next high school female phenom a decade ago but its obvious shes for herself. And yes im biased because she had a physical altercation then threw shade at a program just to go somewhere else and leave them after 2 yrs as well. She's playing russian roulette with different school's of her choice. Can't imagine a top tier program wanting a player with the history of her's. I was all for her going pro and actually possibly making a team but this has confirmed the bad taste in my mouth about cooper. Shes a primadonna!

PostPosted: 04/10/19 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it just me or has the transfer threads gotten twice and large over the last 2 to 3 seasons?

PostPosted: 04/10/19 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

i am a big Cooper fan, loved watching her play all season. UCONN or Baylor would be the fits for her. very talented guard with speed and strengh.

i had a feeling all this s**t was gonna happen with Dawn and south carolina, she kept messin around with that lineup taking out her best players like Kiki and Moore

whatever the reasons may be, i bet you it has something to do with it in that time period.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Te’a Cooper is a brat. Very talented, but more suited to a TV reality show. She might as well go pro and find out how far her attitude will take her.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This went to court and the USC I have a degree from won. Colloquially you can call them whatever you want (most USC grads like to just call it SC), but in official capacities, calling South Carolina USC would be problematic.

USF is slightly different because the administration seems to prefer the San Francisco branding even if locals and alums prefer USF and also because it seems unfair for South Florida to be called South Florida when their location would generally not be considered to be in South Florida.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Minyon Moore's sister, Mariya, was a grad transfer at USC, and Moore is from the East Bay. She's played with and against Sabrina Ionescu as a younger player.

Oregon needs a point guard.

Of course, so do Cal and a lot of other teams, but still ...

A sad, sad ending for Mariya Moore. At one point, she looked to be an all-time great at Louisville - then transferred. I swore she would be an All-American and first rounder when I saw her play in her early college years. She now leaves without any notice, no hype, no mention, no WNBA draft.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

USF is slightly different because the administration seems to prefer the San Francisco branding even if locals and alums prefer USF and also because it seems unfair for South Florida to be called South Florida when their location would generally not be considered to be in South Florida.

That has nothing to so with the propriety of the acronym. The legal name, assigned by the State when they created the school in 1956, is The University of South Florida, notwithstanding its location in Tampa. So blame the Florida state government if you think they have the geography wrong. But that is the name.

Maybe you should complain about Wake Forest, which moved its campus from Wake Forest, NC, (near Raleigh, where it had been for over 100 years) 120 miles west to Winston-Salem in 1956, the same year USF was created. Guess it was a bad year for geography studies. There is still a city of Wake Forest, it just doesn't have a university.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/11/19 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

That has nothing to so with the propriety of the acronym. The legal name, assigned by the State when they created the school in 1956, is The University of South Florida, notwithstanding its location in Tampa. So blame the Florida state government if you think they have the geography wrong. But that is the name.

Maybe you should complain about Wake Forest, which moved its campus from Wake Forest, NC, (near Raleigh, where it had been for over 100 years) 120 miles west to Winston-Salem in 1956, the same year USF was created. Guess it was a bad year for geography studies. There is still a city of Wake Forest, it just doesn't have a university.

I'm not complaining about them co-opting USF. I'm saying that it is acceptable for them to prefer the use of USF to South Florida to avoid geographic confusion.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/11/19 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5'7 rising junior G Brianna Tinsley transferring from UVA to JMU. She originally committed to JMU when Kenny Brooks was coach, then signed with UVA when he left. Apparently not happy with UVA, even though she's been a starter. She'll sit out next year and be eligible the following year.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sidney Cooks leaving Michigan State:
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/womens-basketball/2019/04/12/michigan-state-womens-basketball-sidney-cooks/3448015002/

Howee

PostPosted: 04/12/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Marta Sniezek is officially on the transfer roster: I hope she does well for herself. I always thought she could have started in any number of P5 programs, and I loved watching her doing her One Woman Press Wrecking Thing.

Also, Texas Tech is up to 7 transfers. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 29 of 37

Jump to: