45%
 45%  [ 30 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 66

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/10/19 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with her, actually. Now that they're not doing that 'same city as the Final Four, immediately afterwards' thing that they tried a few years back, there's no need to have the draft quite so close to the championship game. Push the draft a little so that it's at least ten days afterwards, and give the kids until a week before the draft to decide. 24 hours to make a huge decision, right after what is often the most devastating loss of their career, is pretty horrible.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like for real we don’t even have enough time to finish the fantasy draft.
What’s the rush wnba?

miller40

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They’ve probably just not given a lot of thought (shocking...). It only applies to a small number of players.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
They’ve probably just not given a lot of thought (shocking...). It only applies to a small number of players.

But those are the most important ones.

miller40

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

But those are the most important ones.

Oh, I’m definitely not arguing with you, I’m just guessing that’s their reasoning.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sabrina Ionescu isn't a fan of the 'horrible' 24-hour deadline to declare

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-draft-sabrina-ionescu-horrible-24-hour-deadline-to-declare-final-four-oregon-145520082.html

Quote:
“I think it’s horrible that a student-athlete only gets 24 hours to make one of the biggest decisions of their lives,” Ionescu said. “You really don’t have enough time to process what you want to do until after your season’s over. And 24 hours is not enough. So (it’s) probably the most stressed out I’ve been in a very, very long time with that decision.”

She’s not quick at making decisions. Clay might back me up on this. She put off making the decision to go to Oregon for about as long as it was possible.

She had all year to think about what she was going to do, and still struggled with it. She doesn’t like making big decisions no matter how much time you give her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-draft-sabrina-ionescu-horrible-24-hour-deadline-to-declare-final-four-oregon-145520082.html

Quote:
“I think it’s horrible that a student-athlete only gets 24 hours to make one of the biggest decisions of their lives,” Ionescu said. “You really don’t have enough time to process what you want to do until after your season’s over. And 24 hours is not enough. So (it’s) probably the most stressed out I’ve been in a very, very long time with that decision.”

She’s not quick at making decisions. Clay might back me up on this. She put off making the decision to go to Oregon for about as long as it was possible.

She had all year to think about what she was going to do, and still struggled with it. She doesn’t like making big decisions no matter how much time you give her.

If the player hasn't already decided by the final day of the tournament, they probably aren't going to make their mind up until the last minute no matter how long they have.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree in saying the draft should be a week later. But there's little time from the draft to camps to preseason to the regular season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I agree in saying the draft should be a week later. But there's little time from the draft to camps to preseason to the regular season.

There's more than enough. Players hardly walk out of the draft and in through the door for training camp.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you want to feel sorry for somebody, feel sorry for the players who were in the championship game in 2008.

https://www.wnba.com/news/parker-fowles-wiggins-top-three-picks-2008-wnba-draft/

Quote:
Parker was selected No. 1 by the Los Angeles Sparks in the WNBA draft on Wednesday, a day after capping her college career by leading Tennessee to a second straight NCAA title.

Quote:
Parker left Tennessee with a year of eligibility remaining. She chose to skip her fifth year, which she gained because of a knee injury as a freshman.

“It’s been really hard,” she said. “Obviously I’ve wavered. I think everybody wavers on decisions all the time. Especially when you’re in the moment and there’s orange surrounding you and people begging you and telling you one more year. But I gave my word, and I just felt it was time to go and we left on top.”

How much time was Parker given to think about this considering the draft was the next day? I wonder if she was required to say before the game? How many tears were shed for Parker?

Quote:
For the third season, the league held the draft the day after the women’s NCAA Final Four in the host city.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rules were different in 2008. A player had to have graduated or be on track to do that semester so if they hadn't used up their NCAA eligibility. The W didn't anticipate many players being in the position to make a decision like that.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Ya know it would suck if the W went on strike and Ionescu was forced to miss half or possibly her entire rookie season....just saying though Laughing

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The rules were different in 2008. A player had to have graduated or be on track to do that semester so if they hadn't used up their NCAA eligibility. The W didn't anticipate many players being in the position to make a decision like that.

Are you saying they didn’t set a deadline for Parker because they didn’t anticipate ever needing a deadline? “Hey, Parker, just show up to the draft if you feel like it.”

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Are you saying they didn’t set a deadline for Parker because they didn’t anticipate ever needing a deadline? “Hey, Parker, just show up to the draft if you feel like it.”

There was a deadline. She had until three hours before the draft. But yeah, the W apparently didn't think coming out early would be a thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: