RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Next year will be interesting for ND...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:21 pm    ::: Next year will be interesting for ND... Reply Reply with quote

In a not so good way.

Young is going to the WNBA:

https://und.com/news/2019/4/8/womens-basketball-young-declares-for-wnba-draft.aspx

Not factoring in transfers, that means that ND will have 2 juniors (one with an extra year of eligibility available), 4 sophomores (one with an extra year of eligibility available, although she'll be coming off that injury), and 2 freshmen.

However, if they can get a strong recruiting class, ND should be well positioned for 2020-21 and beyond.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am actually really sad Jackie Young is not coming back.

I think Muff would have turned her into a superstar as the primary scorer and would have gotten the ink she so deserved.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is she on the phone to Westbrook, with an assistant drafting the waiver request?

Phil

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

Jackie was my favorite ND player.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odd that Geno has always been accused of opening his team up to what faces ND with his pattern of a short rotation. It never really bit him in the ass as others stepped up. It'll be fun watching Muffet build a new team.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Jackie was my favorite ND player.

Mine too. Her team was so loaded so it was hard for her to get the ink she so deserved. Would have loved to see her with the ball in her hands more next year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she has her eyes set on Azzi for 2021

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the UConn thread, Azzi Fudd and Paige Bueckers are conceivably a package deal ... but of course things can change.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
As I mentioned in the UConn thread, Azzi Fudd and Paige Bueckers are conceivably a package deal ... but of course things can change.

Sam Brunelle and Paige Bueckers were once a packaged deal . Azzi is far from packaged with anyone according to the rumor mill , but hey who knows.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking while watching the national championship game...if ND had won, what a perfect time for Muffet to retire...go out on top!

I do not think she will ever have the talent of a starting five again that she has this year...been doing it for over 35 years and Muffet could go out with a third championship and cement her name along with Gino and Pat as the only three time national champion...

Very weak bench who did not show much improvement...and with Young now going to the WNBA, wins will be few and fair between with the toughness of the ACC!

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
I was thinking while watching the national championship game...if ND had won, what a perfect time for Muffet to retire...go out on top!

I do not think she will ever have the talent of a starting five again that she has this year...been doing it for over 35 years and Muffet could go out with a third championship and cement her name along with Gino and Pat as the only three time national champion...

Very weak bench who did not show much improvement...and with Young now going to the WNBA, wins will be few and fair between with the toughness of the ACC!

I actually disagree. While I clearly have no love loss for ND or Muffet, she is one hell of a coach....one of the top 5, IMO. I think you're going to see ND start out really slow, like South Carolina this year, and then build upon that. Clearly, they're going to take a step back like most teams as this senior class was a very, very good one, but I still think they can challenge in the ACC. Muffet didn't play her bench this year because she didn't need to. That starting 5 was so good I wouldn't have sat them either.

With that being said, this is an unprecedented amount of loss for a team.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

I actually disagree. While I clearly have no love loss for ND or Muffet, she is one hell of a coach....one of the top 5, IMO. I think you're going to see ND start out really slow, like South Carolina this year, and then build upon that. Clearly, they're going to take a step back like most teams as this senior class was a very, very good one, but I still think they can challenge in the ACC. Muffet didn't play her bench this year because she didn't need to. That starting 5 was so good I wouldn't have sat them either.

Actually, I'd say UConn's graduation of Bird, Cash, Jones and Williams from the 2002 NC squad was of even greater magnitude -- three future Olympians and the best career FG% player in NCAA history. Nevertheless, UConn won the next two NC's because Geno still had someone that Muffet doesn't.
CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Actually, I'd say UConn's graduation of Bird, Cash, Jones and Williams from the 2002 NC squad was of even greater magnitude -- three future Olympians and the best career FG% player in NCAA history. Nevertheless, UConn won the next two NC's because Geno still had someone that Muffet doesn't.

Only if Taurasi had left early, too. ND lost all 5 starters. UConn lost 4.

I was actually using 2003 UConn as an example of a "If Young stays, they might still have a chance because it's been done before."

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Only if Taurasi had left early, too. ND lost all 5 starters. UConn lost 4.

I was actually using 2003 UConn as an example of a "If Young stays, they might still have a chance because it's been done before."

With all due respect, Jackie Young is in no way, shape, or form, Diana Taurasi. I'm actually offended that you would even type those words. The only player that could've ever done 2003 & 2004 is Diana Taurasi......and that is why she is the GOAT.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/09/19 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing time is important and there were games where they were up BIG and the bench did not get QUALITY playing time...when you know you are graduating 4 of your 5 starters and the 5th most likely will go pro, get your bench some QUALITY playing time...cause they will need if for next year...this was done by uConn, ND, Baylor and some of the other top programs who were losing 3-5 starters...

putting them in with less then 2 minutes or so to go is not quality time nor does it develop the bench...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Playing time is important and there were games where they were up BIG and the bench did not get QUALITY playing time...when you know you are graduating 4 of your 5 starters and the 5th most likely will go pro, get your bench some QUALITY playing time...cause they will need if for next year...this was done by uConn, ND, Baylor and some of the other top programs who were losing 3-5 starters...

putting them in with less then 2 minutes or so to go is not quality time nor does it develop the bench...

So are you saying McGraw did not give her team quality playing time or that (by including ND with Baylor and UCONN) the Irish bench received quality playing time?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

So are you saying McGraw did not give her team quality playing time or that (by including ND with Baylor and UCONN) the Irish bench received quality playing time?

As I recall, in 2017-18, Turner was out injured (announced long before the season started), Mikayla Vaughn got injured after 6 or so games, and Lili Thompson got injured mid-season.

Vaughn had a really nice start to 2017-18, especially her game against Oregon State, and was averaging 8.0 ppg and 4.3 rpg before her injury She would have played a lot more as a freshman, had she not hurt herself.

Danielle Patterson was not as far along as Vaughn in her development coming into ND; Vaughn was more "ready to play" than Patterson. But when ND was down to so few healthy players, Muffet McGraw played Patterson when/because she had to.

This year, McGraw had the luxury of a much deeper bench, but I did not see Patterson make a lot of improvements in her game. Vaughn also appeared not to take the next step, though it is difficult to tell if she was still rounding back into her pre-injury form, both physically and mentally.

Like Vaughn in 2017-18, Katlyn Gilbert looked like she was going to be the designated 6th player/1st player off the bench, as she was able to step in and contribute pretty quickly. Unfortunately, like Vaughn, and injury derailed her season.

Notre Dame will likely struggle to open 2019-20, as players figure out new roles, not to mention playing with a new starting PG and new secondary facilitators. The talent, in terms of top 10 players like Turner and Ogunbowale, is not there among the bench (though incoming frosh Samantha Brunelle is). But there are a lot of top 25/50 players there, who, by the time the conference season starts, could demonstrate that the sum is greater than the individual parts.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I notice you omitted both Jordan Nixon and Anaya Peoples from your ND discussion - a top 20 and top 10 recruit respectively per Prospects Nation.

Nixon was playing a lot until she got hurt this year.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/10/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't underestimate Muffet. They will likely struggle in the beginning, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had them rolling by March.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing bench players seems to have fallen out of favor at top programs. Foul shots need to be eliminated so that becomes harder to do.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/10/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I notice you omitted both Jordan Nixon and Anaya Peoples from your ND discussion - a top 20 and top 10 recruit respectively per Prospects Nation.

I used different rankings when I was compiling the list, so Nixon was not on the top 20 lists that I was viewing. Also, Gilbert had performed better early on than Nixon.

As for Peoples, I actually forgot about her as a ND signee. My mistake.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I used different rankings when I was compiling the list, so Nixon was not on the top 20 lists that I was viewing. Also, Gilbert had performed better early on than Nixon.

As for Peoples, I actually forgot about her as a ND signee. My mistake.

Actually it was Nixon, not Gilbert and not Prohaska, who started the season at PG in Mabrey's absence until she suffered a concussion against DePaul and missed a series of games. Then later she injured a hamstring.

I think Gilbert has more potential to be a star and certainly to be more of a scorer, but she didn't outplay Nixon this year. And it was Nixon who was a starter when the season began.
They simply both got hurt.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will someone please name the starting lineup.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Will someone please name the starting lineup.

Most likely? My curent prediction for the start of the year would be Nixon or Peoples at PG (McGraw has not been reluctant to start a freshman pg), Prohaska at the off guard, Gilbert at the 3, Patterson at the 4/high post, Vaughn at the 5.

I'm wondering if there will be a graduate transfer that shakes this up. Wouldn't shock me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: