RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Holly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Awe damn im going to think optimistically and say she will be a Top 5 coach nationally within the next 10 years. Gotta start somewhere right? Ex : Brenda frese

When Brenda Frese was the age Harper is now, she had multiple deep tournament runs, including a national championship

Brenda Frese was coaching somewhere else and it was a different time.

I was in the post-game conference where Pat said that Kellie was the smartest player she had ever coached and that she would not be at all surprised to see her back at Tennessee one day. She followed by saying "I hope that's when I'm long gone, though! and everyone laughed at the time...we didn't know it would be so soon Sad I believe this was when Kara Lawson was a freshman or sophomore. I have remembered that to this day. The prophecy has come true, folks.

I've watched how well she's recruited regionally. I think, with a national base now, she ought to be able to do very well. I hope that turns out to be the case. I think she and Jon are a good Xs and Os team. If you people haven't followed the Lady Bears you've missed a lot.

And I wonder if Missouri State might just offer Jackie Stiles that job.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what happens to the current assistants?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
So what happens to the current assistants?

Hard telling. Could be the same thing that happens to assistants everywhere when a new coach comes in. Or not. She does bring one with her, her husband, who’s been her assistant everywhere she’s been. But otherwise one or more assistants may be looking for new jobs, which is standard when a new coach comes in. I imagine she’ll be talking to them individually. One, Dean Lockwood, was an assistant when she was playing.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Awe damn im going to think optimistically and say she will be a Top 5 coach nationally within the next 10 years. Gotta start somewhere right? Ex : Brenda frese

When Brenda Frese was the age Harper is now, she had multiple deep tournament runs, including a national championship

I was in the post-game conference where Pat said that Kellie was the smartest player she had ever coached and that she would not be at all surprised to see her back at Tennessee one day. She followed by saying "I hope that's when I'm long gone, though! and everyone laughed at the time...we didn't know it would be so soon Sad I believe this was when Kara Lawson was a freshman or sophomore. I have remembered that to this day. The prophecy has come true, folks.

I've watched how well she's recruited regionally. I think, with a national base now, she ought to be able to do very well. I hope that turns out to be the case. I think she and Jon are a good Xs and Os team. If you people haven't followed the Lady Bears you've missed a lot.

Your second paragraph made me teary eyed. Crying or Very sad

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Your second paragraph made me teary eyed. Crying or Very sad

When I told my daughter that yesterday (she's a few months younger than Kellie), her comment was, "Pat Summitt, prophet and clairvoyant."

PostPosted: 04/10/19 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ive watched Missouri State play they do play hard but im worried she wont be able to recruit at this level . These girls today have no clue who played and when on the Lady Vols teams of the 90's . Id be surprised if any of them even knew who Holdsclaw was.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ive watched Missouri State play they do play hard but im worried she wont be able to recruit at this level . These girls today have no clue who played and when on the Lady Vols teams of the 90's . Id be surprised if any of them even knew who Holdsclaw was.

I think she'll be okay. She will hire someone who knows how to recruit. Relax. She might even keep Sharonna Reaves who has recruited this bunch.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I think she'll be okay. She will hire someone who knows how to recruit. Relax. She might even keep Sharonna Reaves who has recruited this bunch.

I truly expect that the Lady Vols will pretty much always draw recruits just fine.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She may ? I feel the decisions will be 2 sided with the husband coming along as well. Im trying to stay positive but im worried about the program .

PostPosted: 04/10/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She may ? I feel the decisions will be 2 sided with the husband coming along as well. Im trying to stay positive but im worried about the program .

Relax. Kellie is not a dummy. She grew up in the SEC and knows her way around. She's probably been keeping an eye on things even though she's been otherwise occupied. Stop worrying.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zDAmPIq29ro" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/11/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really unnecessary, Art. Get back under your bridge.

PostPosted: 11/04/19 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

SHOCKINGLY, KNS did not list the first coach in Division I history to be crowned champion in four different conferences, as well as the first coach in NCAA history to garner coach of the year accolades in four different leagues. Said coach also made four Elite Eights in the past ten years.

Side note...that coach is Duke's Joanne P. McCallie. Laughing

For a second there, I thought you were talking about Muffet McGraw, because it sounded like her (except for just 4 Elite Eights...) Wink

BTW, are you sure about McCallie on the first for COY thing? McGraw had 4 conference COY awards by 2001 (East Coast (while at Lehigh), North Star, MCC, and Big East). The Conference Champion one might be true since it wasn't until ND won the ACC that she had 4 different conference championships.

I pulled the information from the Duke women's basketball media guide and Coach P's biography. I did not independently verify it.

The only thing that I can think of is that Muffet McGraw's East Coast Conference COY award occurred when Lehigh was not part of Division I --- and that the reference to "NCAA history" in my original post (taken from the DWB media guide) refers to "NCAA Division I" history.

I did a little research (admittedly, using various searches, but I did not review Notre Dame's media guide), but could not find a definitive answer. As best as I can tell, the original ECC was founded and had early years as an NCAA Division III conference.

But I could not confirm when ECC basketball programs began participating in NCAA Division I or when Lehigh women's basketball began doing so.

If you happen to discover an answer, I would be happy to inform Duke Athletics!

Earlier this year, CBiebel had asked about something I had pulled from McCallie's biography: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1565575#1565575

The two statements from the “Accomplishments” section in Coach P’s bio (page 39 of the 2018-19 Duke Women's Basketball Media Guide) are as follows:

• Became the first Division I head coach to win a conference title in four different leagues - ACC, Big Ten, America East, North Atlantic.

• Is the first Division I head coach to be named conference coach of the year in four different conferences.

Based on my research, Joanne P. McCallie is still the first Division I head coach to win a conference title in four different leagues - ACC, Big Ten, America East, North Atlantic.

But she is not the first Division I head coach to be named conference coach of the year in four different conferences..

Muffet McGraw had 4 conference Division I COY awards by 2001. In fact, McGraw had 5 conference Division I COY awards by 2014:

1983 — East Coast Conference Coach of the Year (while at Lehigh)
1988 — North Star Conference Coach of the Year (while at Notre Dame)
1991 — Midwestern Collegiate Conference Coach of the Year (while at Notre Dame)
2001 — Big East Conference Coach of the Year (while at Notre Dame)
2014 – ACC Conference Coach of the Year (while at Notre Dame)

Joanne P. McCallie did not get her 4 conference Division I COY awards until 2010:

1995 – North Atlantic Conference Coach of the Year (while at Maine)
1999 – America East Conference Coach of the Year (while at Maine)
2005 – Big Ten Conference Coach of the Year (while at Michigan State)
2010 – ACC Conference Coach of the Year (while at Duke)

In any event, I just wanted to thank CBiebel for pointing that out to me. I went and took care of the independent verification, and the coaching honor/awards note has been corrected in Duke's 2019-20 Media Guide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: