RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ACC-2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:50 am    ::: ACC-2020 Reply Reply with quote

Let's get next season started, shall we?

To me, this is the P5 conference, with the SEC being a close second, that has the most question marks about who will in it next year.

Louisville loses a lot, but they have a great coach and some good pieces coming back.

Syracuse has a lot of talent returning, an AA in the making in Engstler, a maddening but electric and experienced PG in Mangakahia, but a questionable in game coach.

ND-great coach, but you don't recover from these roster losses in one season.

Miami-how is their guard quality?

Any ACC people care to enlighten us?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miami loses Hof and Cornelius so that could be a setback. I want to see what Ms State transfer Iggy Allen can do there.

My prediction:

NC State
Florida State
Louisville
Syracuse
Miami
Notre Dame

Then????

Looks to be pretty up in the air

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Miami loses Hof and Cornelius so that could be a setback. I want to see what Ms State transfer Iggy Allen can do there.

My prediction:

NC State
Florida State
Louisville
Syracuse
Miami
Notre Dame

Then????

Dammit, I forgot to add NC State on the original post. Cunane is going to be a PLAYER

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

My prediction:

NC State
Florida State
Louisville
Syracuse
Miami
Notre Dame

Then????

This is what I would call "wishful thinking."

ND will be very young and inexperienced and won't be a final four team next year but they still have more talent and better coaching than probably any of those teams you list above them. I think the likelihood of them dropping all the way to sixth in the ACC is near zero.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/09/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

ND will be very young and inexperienced and won't be a final four team next year but they still have more talent and better coaching than probably any of those teams you list above them. I think the likelihood of them dropping all the way to sixth in the ACC is near zero.

That depends.

Here were this year's ACC WBB Standings, for the teams that made the NCAAT:
Code:
Notre Dame: 14-2
Louisville: 14-2   
NC State: 12-4   
Miami: 12-4
Syracuse: 11-5   
Florida State:10-6   
Clemson: 9-7   
North Carolina: 8-8

If the league is not top heavy next year, could there be a number of teams in the 9-7 to 11-5 range? Could tiebreakers play out in a way where ND finished sixth?

I do not think it is likely, given Muffet McGraw's coaching abilities, but I do not think the odds are "near zero."

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/10/19 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see more balance in the conference than at anytime since the BEast teams moved in. So I don't see any teams running the course and likely no teams having less than 4 losses. So a lot will be based on conference schedules and who gets who where and when.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke returns its top six players (including Mikayla Boykin who was lost again mid-season to injury) and adds Kyra Lambert back intoto the mix. Having Lambert back at PG will mean so much for the team, as it takes playmaking duties away from Odom and Gorecki.

My best educated guess for the starting lineup:

PG: Kyra Lambert
SG: Miela Goodchild
G/F: Haley Gorecki
F: Leaonna Odom
C: Jade Williams

When Boykin returns, you might see her initially come off the bench to anchor the second unit as a scorer and playmaker, but I expect her to move back into the starting lineup full-time by the middle of the ACC season.

On the other hand, you might see Boykin as the PG/SG off the bench full time, but having her finish games (instead of Goodchild). Having a scorer/facilitator with sophomore Onome Akindbode-James and the incoming freshmen will give Duke a good amount of talented depth on paper -- and much more than depth than it had this year.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Lambert returns healthy and hale. I remember an article not too long ago about her experience sitting g on the bench for what, almost a season And a half? And how she's soaked up the game from a coaching aspect (well as much as she can learn from PMac).

crispyten

PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have put Georgia Tech near the top of that list before the coaching shakeup. If by some miracle, all the players who are in the transfer portal decide they want to stay and play for Nell Fortner, that could still happen. Only one senior who got little playing time was on this season's team, and three good freshmen are coming in next year.

crispyten

PostPosted: 04/12/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, maybe not such a miracle after all. When she was introduced at her incoming press conference, Nell said her number one priority was keeping the roster intact. She noted that all the team was present except for two. Martine Fortune, the lone senior from this year's team and Chanin Scott, a 2019-20 senior, were away accepting awards for community service. I'm told all three incoming freshmen are still on board.

The more I see and hear from Nell Fortner, the more I like her. Still a little annoyed by her "Nell, Yes" segments on ESPN. Others seem to like them though.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/14/19 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Irish add grad transfer Destinee Walker out of UNC. Hasn't played in two years due to injuries.

Louisville adds both Elizabeths from GeoTech. Given what went down with a Jospeh, I'll be surprised if they don't receive waivers to be eligible immediately.

crispyten

PostPosted: 04/16/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, looks like when Georgia Tech should have been moving to the top of the ACC next season, they are likely to be at the bottom. They will have good players left if no one else leaves, but you don't lose your four best and expect to win many games in the ACC. Looks like Pan and Fletcher are leaving too. Fortner is not a miracle worker.

Elizabeth Balogun, 2018-19 ACC Freshman of the Year;
Elizabeth Dixon, 2018-19 All-ACC Freshman Team;
Francesca Pan, 2016-17 ACC Freshman of the Year;
Kierra Fletcher, 2017-18 All-ACC Freshman Team.

Balogun and Dixon were McDonald's All-American.
Pan and Fletcher were named to the ACC All-Academic Team the same day (I think) that MaChelle Joseph was put on suspension.

I was so looking forward to next season. I'll still buy season tickets, but . . . . Sad

Howee

PostPosted: 04/16/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't follow the ACC closely, but....didn't Clemson make some significant strides this past season, and aren't they potential contenders for a top 5 spot? VA-Tech?

Just curious.

PostPosted: 04/21/19 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
So a lot will be based on conference schedules and who gets who where and when.

I think that the conference is supposed to go to a 20 game conference schedule to placate the new ACC network, which would likely result in more home and homes.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/21/19 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

The most any returning player averaged in scoring was 3.6 ppg. The most in rebounding was 2.4 per game. There are no seniors. The two juniors to be averaged 10.6 and 9.6 mpg last year.

"Very young" is an understatement. Considering that, even with McGraw's great coaching, finishing 6th is hardly "wishful thinking." It wouldn't be that far out of the realm of possibility.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/21/19 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
So a lot will be based on conference schedules and who gets who where and when.

I think that the conference is supposed to go to a 20 game conference schedule to placate the new ACC network, which would likely result in more home and homes.

18 games … only MBB went to 20

https://augustafreepress.com/acc-approves-18-game-womens-basketball-conference-schedule/

CHSHog

PostPosted: 04/21/19 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I don't follow the ACC closely, but....didn't Clemson make some significant strides this past season, and aren't they potential contenders for a top 5 spot? VA-Tech?

Just curious.

Clemson did have a remarkably and unexpectedly good year, earning Butler several COY honors.

However, most of the contributors -- especially in the backcourt -- were in the final year of their eligibility (Westbook, Edwards, & Collier). Their front court returns, but they'll be quite inexperienced at guard/wing. They do have a top 50 guard signed (in-state 6' Danae McNeal), though.

Not sure it's reasonable to expect a top 5 ACC finish from this squad, but then, no one expected them to make the NCAA's this season.

Edit - Just noticed that they picked up G Delicia Washington from UF via transfer. If she’s immediately eligible, that will be a help.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND's Patterson has reportedly put in for transferring:

https://twitter.com/BBallWallSt/status/1120375832411877376

That would mean that not including grad transfers (Destinee Walker so far, maybe more), no player on the team next year would have had 2 full years worth of play (the only junior, Vaughn, was injured 6 games into the season as a freshman).

That makes things worse for next year, but could bump up the "returning experience" for 2020-21, since all the current returning players will have 2 years of eligibility left (assuming Vaughn stays for a 5th year, which isn't a given).

Next year will definitely be interesting for ND. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how they're going to do.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/23/19 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

That would mean that not including grad transfers (Destinee Walker so far, maybe more), no player on the team next year would have had 2 full years worth of play (the only junior, Vaughn, was injured 6 games into the season as a freshman).

That makes things worse for next year, but could bump up the "returning experience" for 2020-21, since all the current returning players will have 2 years of eligibility left (assuming Vaughn stays for a 5th year, which isn't a given).

Next year will definitely be interesting for ND. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how they're going to do.

I can't get the Notre Dame site to show me her 2018-2019 stats, but Patterson played 12 minutes a game in 33 games as a freshman and I would guess no more than that as a sophomore, and maybe less. Which is probably less than a #30 overall, #9 at her position Hoopgurlz rated McDonald's All-American expects to play. Did she think she would sit again behind Brunelle (or some other recruit/underclassman) next year? Or was their hard feelings from two years of mostly watching? Or something else?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/23/19 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

I can't get the Notre Dame site to show me her 2018-2019 stats, but Patterson played 12 minutes a game in 33 games as a freshman and I would guess no more than that as a sophomore, and maybe less. Which is probably less than a #30 overall, #9 at her position Hoopgurlz rated McDonald's All-American expects to play. Did she think she would sit again behind Brunelle (or some other recruit/underclassman) next year? Or was their hard feelings from two years of mostly watching? Or something else?

Did Patterson tear her ACL early in the 2017-2018 season? Or was that Vaughn?

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/23/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
tfan wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

That was Vaughn, I believe.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
tfan wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

That was Vaughn.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

They have them in the overall team stats. She averaged 10.6 mpg and played in 33 games (started one early in the season) and 2.9 ppg.

Hard to say what the reasons are.

Here is her tweet about the transfer:

https://twitter.com/d_patterson33/status/1120810145074896897?s=21

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/24/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
They have them in the overall team stats. She averaged 10.6 mpg and played in 33 games (started one early in the season) and 2.9 ppg.

Hard to say what the reasons are.

Here is her tweet about the transfer:

https://twitter.com/d_patterson33/status/1120810145074896897?s=21

It seemed odd (to me), only because she and Vaughn had very good chances at being a starter next year.

And she earned valuable minutes in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, when she had to play a few minutes here and there in significant games. Granted, she was not playing significantly large minutes, but a few minutes here and there (when other players had foul trouble) in high pressure situations has to give her confidence in her ability to contribute more with a bigger role, which would likely have been the case in 2019-20.

Best of luck to Patterson.

Now, who are Notre Dame's starters for 2019-20?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Now, who are Notre Dame's starters for 2019-20?

Right now it's pretty much impossible to tell.

I'd say definitely Grad transfer Destinee Walker, Vaughn, and probably Prohaska, with Nixon, Gilbert, Brunelle, and Peoples in the mix for the remaining spots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: