RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee hires Kellie Harper to coach Lady Vols
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:17 pm    ::: Tennessee hires Kellie Harper to coach Lady Vols Reply Reply with quote

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2019/04/08/lady-vols-hire-kellie-harper-tennessee-womens-basketball-coach/3345358002/

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seemed most logical to me.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What went wrong with Harper at NC State?

Why would this be any different?

I mean she beat DePaul and Iowa State.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

HA! Just be thankful and be on your way. This hire literally boggles my mind.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Iowa State literally missed like every 3 point shot too. It wasn't like it was a coaching clinic that got them to the Sweet 16. And Depaul is notoriously overrated.

Isn't going to the Lady Vol family what got them in trouble before?

I'm shocked they didn't go after a Scott Rudeck. Or Vic S now that Miss State is rebuilding. Or even a Cori Close.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Iowa State literally missed like every 3 point shot too. It wasn't like it was a coaching clinic that got them to the Sweet 16. And Depaul is notoriously overrated.

I'm shocked they didn't go after a Scott Rudeck. Or Vic S now that Miss State is rebuilding. Or even a Cori Close.

They went the cheap route.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dust off the trophies and shut the door. This ones all over folks.

If you can't win with Holly why not get a little Jolly? Laughing JK congrats Kelly i looved watching your game back in the stone ages heres to hope that it translates into 2020.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I guess if there is one job that I could maybe see Niele take, it could be Missouri State, back near her family.

I still think it depends on what is best for her son for the next two years more than anything else.

I think that clip they showed this weekend of her talking about Muffet says pretty much all you need to know about Niele and Muffet's relationship and as Niele said, why she's been so loyal to her.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
goforit77

PostPosted: 04/09/19 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Just pray that she brings Jackie Stiles along with her husband. Its no coincidence that MS starting winning once Jackie Stiles came onboard.

This is a huge mistake for Tenn.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

What went wrong with Harper at NC State has been answered in another thread, or possibly even earlier in this one. Did you bother to read it? However, I will summarize it.

She was a lot younger then. She was second hire after Kay Yow's death and was not the "anointed one"...that was Stephanie Glance, but she'd had them for 2 years and not done well. A lot of people were pissed off about that, so she got little to no alumni support. She did well her first year, when she had a lot of returning players, and took them to the NCAA first round.. The next year she lost a lot of talent and had to rebuild. She didn't get much help in recruiting and wasn't real familiar with the area. The next year they didn't do so well, but the two years after that they went to the WNIT, which wasn't enough for the Wolfpack faithful, and they refused to give her any more time and hired Wes Moore. Until 2016-17, he was not a lot more successful. You can look at the record. So don't be damning her. She's done well with Missouri State and I'm sure has learned a lot since then about surrounding herself with successful people and about recruiting.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once you limit yourself for reasons of school politics to hiring a member of the Pat Family, this is probably your best choice.

Could have done better, but not as long as "must have ties to Pat" is on your list of requirements.

She's likely an improvement, even a big improvement, over her predecessor.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baffling.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love the talk about "limiting themselves" by people who have no clue who else they interviewed. Phil Fulmer interviewed no less than FOUR candidates in Tampa alone. But it's predictable. Kellie is a good hire, no matter what some folks might think.

Last edited by summertime blues on 04/09/19 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I guess the Tennessee free fall will continue for at least a few more years. How long until the AD realizes that he hired another waste of space? Hopefully not as long as the last one. If any Vols fans think this hire is going to restore the Lady Vols glory days are delusional. I’ll even go as far as saying that this past season was the very last time we’ll see the Lady Vols in the top 25.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Well, I guess the Tennessee free fall will continue for at least a few more years. How long until the AD realizes that he hired another waste of space? Hopefully not as long as the last one. If any Vols fans think this hire is going to restore the Lady Vols glory days are delusional. I’ll even go as far as saying that this past season was the very last time we’ll see the Lady Vols in the top 25.

Says the guy who hasn't looked at what Geno has left. That boy may just have outsmarted himself this time. He can't pull players out of his nose.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Says the guy who hasn't looked at what Geno has left. That boy may just have outsmarted himself this time. He can't pull players out of his nose.

If you are referring to players that Uconn has, they have the last two top recruits on the team no and the top recruit coming in 2020. What the real question here is, what does any of this have to do with Uconn or Geno? I was talking about Tennessee and Tennessee only. So instead of continuing the discussion and talking about Tennessee, you choose to insert Uconn and Geno into the conversation, which has nothing to do with the conversation. Um, that’s what internet trolls do. But okay

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After 48 hours of "the Lady Vols reportedly plan to announce Kellie Harper as their next coach" and similar media statements, there still isn't any official release by the the school.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talk about a possible good hire for Missouri State in Jackie S...now that's a no brainer! Let's hope she takes it if it is offered to her.

Why would Jackie keep a same asst. coach position and move to Tenn, when she could be the anointed one at Missouri State and "come home" to her historical playing time there?

Some coaches are meant for mid-major programs while others are meant for major conferences...Kelly is a mid-major coach! Tenn. took the easy way out and only time will tell whether the AD made the right choice...in three years we should all know...

Kelly is NOT coming into a program that the cupboards are bare...she needs to produce right away with the talent she has been left with...this is NOT a rebuilding program...Holly lost touch with her players and her offense was horrible...how many all-americans do you need to win? HAHA

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/09/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Some coaches are meant for mid-major programs while others are meant for major conferences...Kelly is a mid-major coach! Tenn. took the easy way out and only time will tell whether the AD made the right choice...in three years we should all know...

Not to derail the thread, but that is what I have thought about Felisha Legette-Jack, who bombed at Indiana, but has had unprecedented success at Buffalo. FLJ interviewed for the openings at Penn State and Georgia Tech, but both schools went with other candidates.

FLJ played was born in Syracuse and played for Syracuse. At Buffalo, she has made the NCAAT 3 out of the last 4 years, including a Sweet 16 in 2018 and a second round in 2019.

Perhaps Buffalo is the best place for her, especially since the MAC is a very good and very competitive basketball conference in WBB.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/09/19 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gosh, *some* of you folks get really ICKY when the season's games are over. Rolling Eyes

A. If you like/love TN, then you should be happy.

B. If you DON'T like/love TN, then you should be happy.

C. If you don't give a shit, why are you posting here? Kwitchyerbitchin'!! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/09/19 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Says you. The one who tells everyone else what threads they are allowed to post in but who sees herself as so smart that she can post anything anywhere, even things that are simply not true.

While Geno need not worry about his nose, you need to examine your mouth because a lot of ignorance is spewing from of it.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/09/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Once you limit yourself for reasons of school politics to hiring a member of the Pat Family, this is probably your best choice.

Could have done better, but not as long as "must have ties to Pat" is on your list of requirements.

She's likely an improvement, even a big improvement, over her predecessor.

This hire reminds me of the Doherty hire at UNC years ago. There were better options to hire after their Plan A hire (Roy Williams for UNC, Jeff Walz for Tenn) turned them down and then went for the hire that had ties to the school. UNC had plenty of coaches who were interest in the job that didn't have UNC ties (John Calipari, Tubby Smith) and there was even some that UNC ties but was either "tainted" or too old (Larry Brown, Doug Moe, George Karl, Phil Ford). If Banghart from Princeton or Coach Abe from UCF were Tenn alum, they would've have been taken more seriously as candidates for the job.

IMO, there's going to be pressure to stay within the family for other schools like ND, Stanford, and UConn when their long time coaches retire within the next 20 years.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/19 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harper has a much more extensive and positive record than Doherty did

PostPosted: 04/09/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

IMO, there's going to be pressure to stay within the family for other schools like ND, Stanford, and UConn when their long time coaches retire within the next 20 years.

I agree. But isn't it revealing that of Summitt, Geno & McGraw, none were "family" when hired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: