RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

UNC Staff Placed on Leave Amid Review of Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
snzuluz



Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 133



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Angie Lee was the head coach at Iowa before Bludder, Bill F at ISU used this against recruits thinking of Iowa...how do I know, because I had one of my players get recruiting by ISU and also Iowa...as an Illinois State University Ball alum, Robyn P. did this homophobic rant all the time too, to recruits...one of my players went to St. Louis U instead of ISU because of her homophobic recruiting message...it happens daily on the recruiting trail!


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4120
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/19 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Syl steps down

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article228892914.html?__twitter_impression=true



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4120
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/19 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From GOHEELS.

https://goheels.com/news/2019/4/18/sylvia-hatchell-steps-down-as-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2274



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow and trying to bury it before Easter weekend perhaps?

This certainly is now one of the bigger openings and could shake things up depending what route they take.

Ideas for Hatchell’s successor? UNC is a brand name program and there are a few routes to consider - hire a Tar Heel? Splashy big name? Up and coming assistant?

Charlotte Smith (obvious choice, likely her dream job but did Elon fall back too far?)
Shea Ralph (family situation with Garrick could be a challenge but he could go with her)
Niele Ivey (names always comes up - would this be the gig? Son is a senior in HE and she loves Muffet and South Bend)
Felisha Legette Jack (name keeps coming up with searches)
Cori Close (stretch)
Gail Goestenkors (can you imagine?! Likely not)
Amanda Butler
Susie Gardener
Cara Consuegra
Sytia Messer


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 778
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Wow and trying to bury it before Easter weekend perhaps?

This certainly is now one of the bigger openings and could shake things up depending what route they take.

Ideas for Hatchell’s successor? UNC is a brand name program and there are a few routes to consider - hire a Tar Heel? Splashy big name? Up and coming assistant?


Niele Ivey (names always comes up - would this be the gig? Son is a senior in HE and she loves Muffet and South Bend)


BTW, Ivey's son could be staying in South Bend for college. ND Men's coach Mike Brey offered him a scholarship.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NoDakSt"]Syl steps down


I feel so bad for her. How in the hell has this woman give her life to that University and the game, and this is the first time anyone has ever heard of these allegations and accusations?

This is a BIG job. If I were UNC, I would go hard after Cori Close.


Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1621
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ucbart"]
NoDakSt wrote:
Syl steps down

I feel so bad for her. How in the hell has this woman give her life to that University and the game, and this is the first time anyone has ever heard of these allegations and accusations?

This is a BIG job. If I were UNC, I would go hard after Cori Close.

I've heard/read of Coach Hatchell's homophobic recruiting (as in "you don't want your daughter to play for a GAY coach") and requirement that players attend Bible studies. The quotes from her (ny times, etc) are either racist or so clueless that she shouldn't teach young women.


Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1621
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC women’s hoops coach Sylvia Hatchell resigns amid allegations of berating players, racial remarks

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/they-make-me-sick-unc-womens-hoops-coach-berated-injured-players-parents-say/2019/04/18/7259c7c0-6146-11e9-9412-daf3d2e67c6d_story.html?utm_term=.5cadc8fb0844

Long, detailed article particularly forcused on bad medical/training "treatment."


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9749



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So how did this go on so long?

Easy answer: They needed someone to take the fall for Roy Williams on the academic scandal in case the NCAA actually did anything. But when the NCAA wimped out -- what a surprise -- UNC waits a year and forces Hatchell out.

All problems solved ... except the nagging question of why, if all this is true, was Hatchell allowed to say and do these things without anything happening before this spring?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4467



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
UNC women’s hoops coach Sylvia Hatchell resigns amid allegations of berating players, racial remarks

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/they-make-me-sick-unc-womens-hoops-coach-berated-injured-players-parents-say/2019/04/18/7259c7c0-6146-11e9-9412-daf3d2e67c6d_story.html?utm_term=.5cadc8fb0844

Long, detailed article particularly forcused on bad medical/training "treatment."


Reading that story, I'm glad she's in the Hall of Fame already because there's no way she'd get in now and forget about going to get another job with what is now out there about how she operates.

I'd also want to know why none of her assistants said anything about her actions. Sylvia Crawley was on the staff and besides coaching, isn't she deep into religion too? You'd think she'd have the fortitude to say what was going on wasn't right.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12002
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Pingeton's message is well known. Apparently she carries the "message" to parents too when recruiting their daughters.
https://www.outsports.com/2011/7/14/4051534/expert-panel-debates-the-homophobia-that-confronts-lesbians-in-sports (read down the page a bit)

I remember this time period. I actually had lunch with Mechelle earlier that year, at the FF in Indy, and other conversations on this topic with her, at different times. As a flip side to this, Mechelle shared with me her documentation of a distasteful "lesbian" situation that played out at K-State (Patterson/Etheridge), and how they bullied players. This is just an example of how this entire topic is multi-dimensional.

Speebs56 wrote:
I think even since 2011 attitudes may have changed - for the better, in many instances. I certainly hope so!


I believe your hope is founded in reality. I believe MANY coaches, in the ever-challenging stakes of the Recruiting Wars, may have used whatever tactics might land them the next bright prospect. But I also believe that now, nearly a decade later, coaches like Pingeton and Fennelly have abandoned that as a consistent strategy, if not altogether. If not: shame on them!

Re: Sylvia? Yes'm. Her expiration date is looong past. Razz



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1621
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Pingeton's message is well known. Apparently she carries the "message" to parents too when recruiting their daughters.
https://www.outsports.com/2011/7/14/4051534/expert-panel-debates-the-homophobia-that-confronts-lesbians-in-sports (read down the page a bit)

I remember this time period. I actually had lunch with Mechelle earlier that year, at the FF in Indy, and other conversations on this topic with her, at different times. As a flip side to this, Mechelle shared with me her documentation of a distasteful "lesbian" situation that played out at K-State (Patterson/Etheridge), and how they bullied players. This is just an example of how this entire topic is multi-dimensional.

Speebs56 wrote:
I think even since 2011 attitudes may have changed - for the better, in many instances. I certainly hope so!


I believe your hope is founded in reality. I believe MANY coaches, in the ever-challenging stakes of the Recruiting Wars, may have used whatever tactics might land them the next bright prospect. But I also believe that now, nearly a decade later, coaches like Pingeton and Fennelly have abandoned that as a consistent strategy, if not altogether. If not: shame on them!

Re: Sylvia? Yes'm. Her expiration date is looong past. Razz

A lesbian K-State fan told me back then that Patterson & Etheridge were not a couple. They shared a house and dog ownership but were not a romantic pair. Yes, people assumed it. biut it wasn't so.


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5581
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Pingeton's message is well known. Apparently she carries the "message" to parents too when recruiting their daughters.
https://www.outsports.com/2011/7/14/4051534/expert-panel-debates-the-homophobia-that-confronts-lesbians-in-sports (read down the page a bit)

I remember this time period. I actually had lunch with Mechelle earlier that year, at the FF in Indy, and other conversations on this topic with her, at different times. As a flip side to this, Mechelle shared with me her documentation of a distasteful "lesbian" situation that played out at K-State (Patterson/Etheridge), and how they bullied players. This is just an example of how this entire topic is multi-dimensional.

Speebs56 wrote:
I think even since 2011 attitudes may have changed - for the better, in many instances. I certainly hope so!


I believe your hope is founded in reality. I believe MANY coaches, in the ever-challenging stakes of the Recruiting Wars, may have used whatever tactics might land them the next bright prospect. But I also believe that now, nearly a decade later, coaches like Pingeton and Fennelly have abandoned that as a consistent strategy, if not altogether. If not: shame on them!

Re: Sylvia? Yes'm. Her expiration date is looong past. Razz


Mechelle got burned - badly - during the K State fiasco. People who talked with her ON THE RECORD later denied everything they told her. Journalist nightmare.

I can't hardly believe that NOBODY came forward with Hatchell's extensive homophobia during recruiting AND with her own players. Along with Hatch's blatant racism, her homophobia is the other big and unforgivable story here. Every former player knows this. Every. Single. One. I have lost every sliver of respect I ever had for any of them (looking at you Erlana Larkins) who is defending her. They are flat out liars. Maybe they're as big of homophobes as Sylvia. And no, it does not matter if they themselves are lesbians themselves. Plenty of gay people hate themselves and, especially any gay person who is out and proud.


And, the fact that Hatchell did not make any lynching comments earlier in the ears of former players is NO excuse to defend the fact that she recently told players they would be strung up on trees.


Regarding Erlana Larkins, I once approached her in the stands in Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium at an Olympic team event. I sincerely told her I thought she should be considered for the national team. I am extremely disappointed she would come out to support Hatchell after the Hatch's disgusting racist remarks were made public. Despicable.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12002
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/19 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
A lesbian K-State fan told me back then that Patterson & Etheridge were not a couple. They shared a house and dog ownership but were not a romantic pair. Yes, people assumed it. biut it wasn't so.


Well, it's really all moot now anyways. But....as 2 adults with their salaries, their *need* to share housing is....UNUSUAL, I'd think. And then both trotting off to Northern Colorado?? Okay. I personally think they worked a smidge TOO hard to project a "Not Gay" image, given the time 'n place. Which is its own kinda hell.

But, regardless....their tandem treatment of the girls, bullying into religious meetings, and general 'meanness' was unforgivable.

Re: Sylvia, I haven't researched any past players' comments on her, but....I also wonder....was it That Bad ALL the time with her? If so, that's just an odd co-dependency, to come out of that as a player with any caring or respect for a person who was so boorishly denigrating.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
CHSHog



Joined: 19 Apr 2019
Posts: 16
Location: Charleston, SC


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/20/19 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players are willing to overlook a lot when they're winning. And I think that used to be even more true in the past than it is today. Once UNC starting struggling, the writing was on the wall, imo.



_________________
I know nobody and nothing.
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10418
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/23/19 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Could a firing at UNC mean changes for the Phoenix?

With Sylvia Hatchell gone, Charlotte Smith may have her eyes on the Tar Heel job.


http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/2019/04/sylvia-hatchell-unc-elon-university-phoenix-charlotte-smith



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5394
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/23/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Quote:
Could a firing at UNC mean changes for the Phoenix?

With Sylvia Hatchell gone, Charlotte Smith may have her eyes on the Tar Heel job.


http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/2019/04/sylvia-hatchell-unc-elon-university-phoenix-charlotte-smith


Elon had an uncharacteristically bad season after losing their All-Conference players Malaya Johnson and (oh shoot, I can't remember her name, but she killed us...chunky little shooting guard who was also a neuroscience major). They managed to recoup a little bit towards the end of the season but the team was mostly freshmen and sophomores.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5581
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing they go with Charlotte "the shot" Smith. If Duke also goes with a Duke alum when JPM is finally G-O-N-E, then expect the Duke/UNC rivalry to heat up again. While I witnessed Charlotte's shot to win the 'ship, I also witnessed Charlotte putting Duke's Ali Day in a stranglehold - after the whistle. It was thoroughly disgusting. And, of course, she was not taken off the floor and did not get suspended from the next game - in typical Sylvia Hatchell fashion.

Let's just say Charlotte Smith is one of the most hated of UNC women's bball players. Ivory Latta is the butt of most jokes but Charlotte Smith was one of the dirtiest of all the very dirty Tar Hells.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5394
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charlotte Smith is a damn good coach though. She "reads" other teams extremely well, and despite what you might expect, her teams are not particularly dirty, just really good. She did about as well as could be expected with an extremely green team this year.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 549



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/19 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rumor over the on UNC board, is that the coach as already been chosen but the paperwork is unfinished and there should be an announcement later this week. The only coaches that were seen on campus last week was Charlotte Smith and Courtney Banghart. and Shea Ralph wasn't seen on campus but she was rumored to a finalist.


PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2274



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
I'm guessing they go with Charlotte "the shot" Smith. If Duke also goes with a Duke alum when JPM is finally G-O-N-E, then expect the Duke/UNC rivalry to heat up again. While I witnessed Charlotte's shot to win the 'ship, I also witnessed Charlotte putting Duke's Ali Day in a stranglehold - after the whistle. It was thoroughly disgusting. And, of course, she was not taken off the floor and did not get suspended from the next game - in typical Sylvia Hatchell fashion.

Let's just say Charlotte Smith is one of the most hated of UNC women's bball players. Ivory Latta is the butt of most jokes but Charlotte Smith was one of the dirtiest of all the very dirty Tar Hells.


The year they won the NCAAs she got suspended in the Sweet 16 game (maybe against Vandy that year) for throwing punches in the previous round against ODU. Tough player.


PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2274



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/19 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Rumor over the on UNC board, is that the coach as already been chosen but the paperwork is unfinished and there should be an announcement later this week. The only coaches that were seen on campus last week was Charlotte Smith and Courtney Banghart. and Shea Ralph wasn't seen on campus but she was rumored to a finalist.


Do you have a name/link to the UNC board? Interesting and promising they at least brought her in for the opening though you'd have to assume Smith is the front runner.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1262



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/19 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Rumor over the on UNC board, is that the coach as already been chosen but the paperwork is unfinished and there should be an announcement later this week. The only coaches that were seen on campus last week was Charlotte Smith and Courtney Banghart. and Shea Ralph wasn't seen on campus but she was rumored to a finalist.


Do you have a name/link to the UNC board? Interesting and promising they at least brought her in for the opening though you'd have to assume Smith is the front runner.


https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Board/104773/Contents/Now-the-Real-Coaching-Search-Begins-131340393/

Huge culture shock for Banghart and for NC both.


Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 549



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/19 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Rumor over the on UNC board, is that the coach as already been chosen but the paperwork is unfinished and there should be an announcement later this week. The only coaches that were seen on campus last week was Charlotte Smith and Courtney Banghart. and Shea Ralph wasn't seen on campus but she was rumored to a finalist.


Do you have a name/link to the UNC board? Interesting and promising they at least brought her in for the opening though you'd have to assume Smith is the front runner.


https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Board/104773/Contents/Now-the-Real-Coaching-Search-Begins-131340393/

Huge culture shock for Banghart and for NC both.


It's going to be Banghart.

https://twitter.com/jgravleyWRAL/status/1122996361681678337


CourtsideTix



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 4525
Location: Washington, DC


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/19 6:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Board/104773/Contents/Now-the-Real-Coaching-Search-Begins-131340393/

Huge culture shock for Banghart and for NC both.


It's hard for me to even imagine the culture shock for Banghart. Not only has she been coaching at Princeton for 12 years, but she's a Dartmouth grad and she was an ass't coach there as well. She'll be coming from schools of academic excellence, where academics are a priority. Not so much at UNC with the bogus classes.

There will also be, I suspect, the regional culture shock of moving to the South, and recruiting kids to a school there.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin