RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Notre Dame vs #1 Baylor - 4/07/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Notre Dame
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
Baylor
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 33

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Justice for Lauren Cox and way to go Kim you deserved this, you didn’t whine all year and expect favors.

Justice? Are you insinuating that Notre Dame injured Cox? Aren't you a UConn fan? You really hate the Irish that much that you fantasized that?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
tfan wrote:
I started out rooting for Notre Dame but switched when Cox went out. Didn't want to see Baylor lose due to an injury of their best player.

Ogunbawale is hurting from missing that free throw but she has last year to balance it with.

I felt the same way. I'm not a Baylor or Mulkey fan but this was Cox's best chance at a Natty.

What about next season?

Well, you lose Brown and Jackson and they were key besides Cox, but you bring back Richards and maybe Cox if she can recover in time.

It's never guaranteed but they have a good chance especially with Aquira DeCosta probably back from injury. But Oregon will be hungry. I don't see who else would be in the conversation as a favorite for next year.

Is DeCosta a PG? They don't seem to have one on the bench and I don't see a top one coming in. I've been impressed with Smith the several times I've seen her this year, but she's not the same as 6'7" in the post.

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
tfan wrote:
I started out rooting for Notre Dame but switched when Cox went out. Didn't want to see Baylor lose due to an injury of their best player.

Ogunbawale is hurting from missing that free throw but she has last year to balance it with.

I felt the same way. I'm not a Baylor or Mulkey fan but this was Cox's best chance at a Natty.

What about next season?

Well, you lose Brown and Jackson and they were key besides Cox, but you bring back Richards and maybe Cox if she can recover in time.

It's never guaranteed but they have a good chance especially with Aquira DeCosta probably back from injury. But Oregon will be hungry. I don't see who else would be in the conversation as a favorite for next year.

I think Baylor is loaded. Obviously, missing Cox would weaken them considerably. I hate that this injury happened. I know how horrible it was for ND when Achonwa and Turner both tore ACLs in the NCAA tournaments.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
tfan wrote:

What about next season?

Is DeCosta a PG? They don't seem to have one on the bench and I don't see a top one coming in. I've been impressed with Smith the several times I've seen her this year, but she's not the same as 6'7" in the post.

Supposedly Honesty Scott-Grayson is the heir apparent at PG. I don't see it though.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"A consummation devoutly to be wished."

The better team persevered and won. Chloe Jackson flowered.
TechDawgMc

Baylor only gave up 70 points once this year and that was when TCU scored 24 in the fourth against the frosh. ND played good offense.

ArtBest23

Congratulations to Baylor. Bottom line is they stepped up at the end and made the critical shots, and Notre Dame didn't. They went out and won it. Disappointing to me, but that's why they play and I watch. I've really enjoyed this ND team.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"A consummation devoutly to be wished."

The better team persevered and won. Chloe Jackson flowered.

Baylor really played great. They had a 12-point lead when Cox went down. Smith was awesome on offense but a huge liability on defense. Big drop-off from Cox. At least she was fearless on offense (7-9 and many long shots)!

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Baylor only gave up 70 points once this year and that was when TCU scored 24 in the fourth against the frosh. ND played good offense.

Congrats on your team's win. They played great!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:36 pm    ::: ! Reply Reply with quote

Well, the Baylor win did get one of my brackets into the 99%! Smile

I sure thought that ND was going to do it until the last minute. When Baylor went up 2... Crying or Very sad. That lead was just too much to overcome.

πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†πŸ€πŸ†

β€œThank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 04/07/19 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great job Baylor on keeping their composure and finishing the game. Congrats to ND on another great season and coming close to the repeat. Can't ask for more in a title game than two teams leaving it all out on the court.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Notre Dame choked this game away. So many missed FT's and empty possessions in the final quarter.

No one but Arike choked. N Dame got close and then they traded baskets until the end. Until she choked Arike was in line for MOP the way she shot, along with Mabrey. It was scripted to be another comeback win for the Irish with her as the heroine but instead it was a surprise ending.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Notre Dame choked this game away. So many missed FT's and empty possessions in the final quarter.

No one but Arike choked. N Dame got close and then they traded baskets until the end. Until she choked Arike was in line for MOP the way she shot, along with Mabrey. It was scripted to be another comeback win for the Irish with her as the heroine but instead it was a surprise ending.

Shep also missed a FT in the last minute of play. Both hurt. I thought Arike was really clutch, even with her missed FT.

Sometimes, you just need to tip your cap to the winners. Baylor played great and ND faltered. All that Irish experience didn't pay the dividends it could have.

I loved this team, though!

BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While it is best to watch a championship with your team vying for the title, it is great to be able to sit back and enjoy a great game, with 2 great teams, and 2 legendary coaches.

I remember first knowing who Kim Mulkey was during that 2004 tournament game against Tennessee and that foul call at the end of the game on that inbound.

Baylor was in control early but never really was able to fully blow out Notre Dame. Ogunbowale was able to get open and make shots when she needed. Mabrey was also clutch. Then when Cox went down, the game completely changed. You have to give props to ND for being able to capitalize on it and even bigger props to Baylor for being able to regroup. Brown and Jackson played big. Jackson getting MOP was great.

I just looked at the box score and Notre Dame won the 3 point battle (7-13 vs. 2-7, all from Landrum) and the FT battle (18-22 vs. 2-7, all for Cox and Brown) and rebounds (44 vs 38 ) but Baylor won the FG % battle (53.4% vs 38.9%).

What a great showcase for Women's Basketball this Final Four has been.

Last edited by BamaEd on 04/07/19 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping ND would get the back to back but I really just hoped for competitive game and was fine with whoever won. Nice gutty, amazing win for Baylor! I truly hope Lauren is ok and gets another full season for Baylor. She's definitely a talent! Chloe looked so surprised to get the MVP. I'm so happy for them! It is amazing to see how transfers have been embraced and been able to impact their new teams.

I'm sad to see this season end! Like this game, there were lots of ups and down but it was pretty awesome!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Arike couldn't do it every year, FFS, and it would be mean to expect her to. It would have been nice for someone else to pick up the slack for once, but they didn't. I am not a Baylor fan; I have serious problems with the institution as a whole, and I am most certainly not a Mulkey fan, but I didn't want it to end the way it did. I am an admirer of Lauren Cox. I just wish the announcers wouldn't have harped on her diabetes as much as they did.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though Arike's missed free throw was devastating, her second was just as bad or worse. She looked over to the bench and asked if she should miss and got the word to miss, but her line drive went in.

Glad the Lady Bears prevailed for Cox. Outstanding clutch shooting by two Irish players, Mabrey and Arike. Does Baylor wait another 7 years for their 4th title?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uggghhh!

Congrats to the Baylor Bears. That was one hard fought game. I remember when Lauren Cox was being recruited and the ND faithful really, really wanted her to choose ND and weren't happy with Baylor getting her, and tonight showed why.

Unfortunately, it came down to one of my main pet peeves in the sport: making FTs. ND didn't, and it cost them.

chamomile1800

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Justice for Lauren Cox and way to go Kim you deserved this, you didn’t whine all year and expect favors.

Justice? Are you insinuating that Notre Dame injured Cox? Aren't you a UConn fan? You really hate the Irish that much that you fantasized that?

There was no insinuation whatsoever but your emotional overreaction insinuates far more.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:

Congrats on your team's win. They played great!

Thanks. It was pretty hard on the blood pressure but glad to see they overcame the bad luck of losing Cox and the struggle to stop a great offense without fouling.

It was a great game.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chloe Jackson played the last 9:44 with four fouls.

I don't think anyone choked, much less AO, who made multiple high difficulty, high pressure clutch shots. The player who didn't shoot or score well was Jackie Young.

Speaking of AO and Young, I don't see why Young would be chosen as a guard over AO in the draft. AO seems to be superior in all facets of shooting, driving and and scoring, and even though passing is not her job, she can make terrific passes through traffic, on breaks, and for alley oops when the opportunities present. Plus, Young presents almost no threat from beyond the arc.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Arike couldn't do it every year, FFS, and it would be mean to expect her to. It would have been nice for someone else to pick up the slack for once, but they didn't. I am not a Baylor fan; I have serious problems with the institution as a whole, and I am most certainly not a Mulkey fan, but I didn't want it to end the way it did. I am an admirer of Lauren Cox. I just wish the announcers wouldn't have harped on her diabetes as much as they did.

I agree with a lot of this. I mean Arike can't be the only one to step up. I loved Mulkey and Bill Brock encouraging Arike in the handshake line after. I heard Brock say don't let that define your year, you are great.

The part I slightly disagree with is about Cox and her diabetes. Did they go on with it a bit? Yes, but I'm ok with it, because she is a role model to all kids, especially young girls, with type I diabetes who want to play sports or do whatever, but feel that diabetes holds them back. So, for that, I'm ok with it Smile

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Arika from hero last year to zero this year.

31 points makes you a zero? She wasn't the only one to miss FTs or late shots. They win as a team and they lose as a team (by one point in the NC game).

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to the Baylor Bears!

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Baylor for persevering after the Cox injury, the main reason the LBs didn't win the game as comfortably as expected, and thanks to the basketball gods for preventing consecutive years of a cheesy NC win.

Congrats to Chloe Jackson, a smooooth veteran, and congrats to Kim, for joining the Pat/Geno ranks with 3+ NCs.

Congrats to Ogunnerbrawler for making her last shot in college.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: