RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Oregon vs #1 Baylor - 4/05/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Oregon
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Baylor
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 33

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Was Hebard exposed tonight? Took 4 shots. She looked lost on offense, other than setting picks. 9 boards though were big.

I think in many ways she has been over-hyped. She's a good player, but not as great as she is made out to be. And I think not big enough to play the 5 in the W.

Yeah no way shes a 5. Shes long like DMJ was back in the day but no way Hebard is even touching 6"2 on a good day.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Ionescu might see how close they got and return next season. The clock starts now. 24 hours from we'll have a decision.

If Io returns and the younger Sabally turns out as good as claimed, they would have a very very good shot at it next year. Baylor is still going to be good too. They have Smith, who I think has shown a lot of talent, to add(replace Brown) to the post.

I haven't heard that either of them have super Freshmen coming in so there is that. Of course there are a lot of transfers hanging out there in the ether - some of whom could definitely be game changers.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
A crap game to end for Ionescu.

6-24.

Congrats Baylor.

yeah, she usually doesn't miss those shots down the stretch. She missed several that she should have made.

Oregon lost because Ionescu choked in the 4th. Pretty simple.

I tried to explain to myrtle... it’s not as easy way from home.

Both teams were away from home. Your point is...?

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Was Hebard exposed tonight? Took 4 shots. She looked lost on offense, other than setting picks. 9 boards though were big.

I think in many ways she has been over-hyped. She's a good player, but not as great as she is made out to be. And I think not big enough to play the 5 in the W.

Yeah no way shes a 5. Shes long like DMJ was back in the day but no way Hebard is even touching 6"2 on a good day.

and as I've harped on (too many times) it's why losing their big lunk McGwire was such a huge loss for them. Actually I think Ruthie is a good 6'2 and maybe even close to 6'3.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

The impact of these transfers (e.g. Cox and Jackson) has been awesome!

Cox isn't a transfer. Erin Boley on Oregon is.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

and as I've harped on (too many times) it's why losing their big lunk McGwire was such a huge loss for them. Actually I think Ruthie is a good 6'2 and maybe even close to 6'3.

I remarked that the McG transfer was a major lame move on her part, especially if it was because of playing time. WHy leave a team figured to be in the FF? smh

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I remarked that the McG transfer was a major lame move on her part, especially if it was because of playing time. WHy leave a team figured to be in the FF? smh

I am surprised when players prefer to watch from the bench of a top team versus play on a lesser team. They have most of their life available for watching.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the replay how many 3 pointers did Boley attempt this game. Sheesh just in the first Qtr shes launched at least 6

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I am surprised when players prefer to watch from the bench of a top team versus play on a lesser team. They have most of their life available for watching.

I am surprised when players prefer to play for a lesser team with no chance to win the National Championship rather than play on a team for whom they will contribute and may be the difference in winning it all. They have most of their life available for never being a champion.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I am surprised when players prefer to play for a lesser team with no chance to win the National Championship rather than play on a team for whom they will contribute and may be the difference in winning it all. They have most of their life available for never being a champion.

You are blessed with being able to watch and feel like a champion. Not everyone has that quality.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You are blessed with being able to watch and feel like a champion. Not everyone has that quality.

You are blessed thinking that no reserve can feel like a champion. Not everyone has that deficiency.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 04/05/19 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Pretty tough matchup she was facing. Thought she did pretty well on the boards. Came up with several big ones. Didn't seem like a big addition to that offense but seemed to be in the right place when shots missed.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
A crap game to end for Ionescu.

6-24.

Congrats Baylor.

yeah, she usually doesn't miss those shots down the stretch. She missed several that she should have made.

Oregon lost because Ionescu choked in the 4th. Pretty simple.

I tried to explain to myrtle... it’s not as easy way from home.

Both teams were away from home. Your point is...?

The variation in how the goal looks (background, etc) has to be significantly worse for the 3 point shooter than for someone shooting from 4' out. And OU had the energy of essentially a home crowd for the regional.

I think it had more to do with how exhausting it has to be to try to get away from Didi Richards long enough to shoot. Tired legs are also tougher to deal with if you're shooting threes.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You are blessed thinking that no reserve can feel like being a champion. Not everyone has that deficiency.

Doesn't work. I said that not everyone can be like you and feel like a champion while watching. That is not saying "no one would feel that way". I clearly pointed out you as someone who would feel satisfied watching and did not comment as to how prevalent an opinion that is. But UConn has had happy bench sitters for years on their championship teams, which may be what gives you the opinion that everyone should be happy watching on a potential championship team.

Last edited by tfan on 04/05/19 10:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Oregon. I don't even think it will be close. But of course I've been dissing Baylor all year and here they are at #1. Kelly just needs to look at the scout and what Stanford did to them.

The problem with that theory is that Baylor has changed its defense since the Stanford game (largely because of it). It's one reason why no one has been able to shoot threes on them since. The in your face defense is pretty tough. I'll be impressed if OU can break 65.

I don't usually like to say things like this for fear of offending the weauxf gawds, but I will say that I was impressed with OU. (67 isn't much over 65 but they did get there). BU held the three point shooting down but the offensive rebounds were significant. And that is a really potent offense.

elsie

PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duckies will have home court advantage again next year with the first four in their backyard....of course its all "if"....but a pretty good gift to the duckies...

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You are blessed thinking that no reserve can feel like being a champion. Not everyone has that deficiency.

Doesn't work. I said that not everyone can be like you and feel like a champion while watching. That is not saying "no one would feel that way". I clearly pointed out you as someone who would feel satisfied watching and did not comment as to how prevalent an opinion that is. But UConn has had happy bench sitters for years on their championship teams, which may be what gives you the opinion that everyone should be happy watching on a potential championship team.

Doesn't work. I said reserves play, contribute, and are a part of a National Championship team. Your contention is that McG would rather "play" than "watch". Obviously, she would have played at Oregon, and contributed, and may have been the size/factor they needed to become National Champions. But she, apparently like you, would rather play for a shit team in a shit league in order to score more points. Some people suffer that ego.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coaches often break promises, so it’s tough to stay with them. There was supposed to be two Sabally’s playing this year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delightful game: some awesome plays from uber-talented BRIGHT kids. Yes, I *liked* both teams, so it's not a stretch that I'd have felt equal empathy towards either team that lost. But even if I was a fan of neither team, it's obvious to anybody watching that all 10 kids on the floor GAVE THEIR ALL.

Other observations:

*I saw Maite and Sabrina demonstrate excellent composure throughout, as you'd want your upperclassmen to do. If *I* were coach, I would have loved to see them do much more slashing.

*I felt Ruthy was the greatest deficiency for Oregon. T'hell with the debate on her size: she ain't NO less than 6'3 (see: Roster Pic. Lydia is touted as 6'6")
To me, it's more about the 'size' of her heart and guts....she's not galvanized in her decision on this move, or that move. Megan Gustafson is shorter than Ruth, but she's got a locomotive engine to FINISH those drives. I don't think Ruthy gave Cox or Brown any real pause, the way Megan did. Disappointing, cuz she most certainly COULD. A little more muscle, a little more hustle and a lotta hardwork on her handles!! (see: Collier, Shepard) and Ruthy could be truly an elite post player to end her career.

The other thing/deficiency, I'd have to put on Kelly re: Ruthy defense: I don't think I saw her *front* Kalani once during the game, never playing her kinda on the side, kinda on the back, denying passes. Ruthy always seemed kind lost behind Kalani. Some of that is a strength differential, and some of it was lack of hustle...orrr....Kelly trained her that way. I don't seem to remember Ruthy playing Teaira that way.

She's GOT the moves 'n understanding, she's just gotta take the next step. And. She. SHALL Exclamation (LOVE that kids' upside!)

*There was some extremely shoddy reffing in the game. NOT enough to matter, really, but just 2 examples: 2nd Q, Kalani clobbered Ruthy on a shot, UGLY AS TRUMP'S HAIR, and -- no call! Minutes later, on Sabrina's 4 pt play, in no replay of it that I saw was Sabrina fouled. Nice dramatic touch to a big shot, but....didn't happen. I don't remember any gaffes at any critical junctures, but still.... Shocked

HUGE Congrats to OR for reaching this new threshold and proving the were, indeed, the best of The West. My biggest hope is that Sabrina will realize that, by declaring now, she's short shrifting a most unique, never-to-be-recouped experience: The Joy of your Senior Season that can only get better. (I'd also think her degree is important, and DON'T have any impressions that she's from a poor family, where the $$$ would make a huge impact) Also, Maite and Ottie can certainly feel honored for their contributions--wouldn't have happened without them.

EXTRA HUGE Conga-rats to Kim and Co. They did what ya NEED to do: never give up, hung tough on defense, and found ways to score. (0-3 on 3s is not a good omen for the championship, but they certainly have demonstrated some proficiency at the perimeter, on occasion....it ain't like they got nuttin'! And even shooting 0% on 3s tonight, they did just beat a team that shot a dozen of 'em!

PostPosted: 04/06/19 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Doesn't work. I said Your contention is that McG would rather "play" than "watch". Obviously, she would have played at Oregon, and contributed, and may have been the size/factor they needed to become National Champions. But she, apparently like you, would rather play for a shit team in a shit league in order to score more points. Some people suffer that ego.

I don't see it as obvious she would have "played" at Oregon with Hebard at the five. And how are you defining "play"? Even the deep bench players on a team will play some minutes during a season and the coaches these days are playing in-the-rotation bench players less and less. Great high school players normally expect to start in college, or at least be out there for half the game.

Sometimes when making anonymous terse online condemnations we'll forget that certain juvenile degradations aren't shared by people who are actively engaged in a pursuit. And those who only watched when they were young may think that wanting to play in the game, versus watching the game, can be simply characterized as "wanting to score more points". They may come to the conclusion that the real goal for all the practising and training of a player is not to play and compete but to wear a championship hat and t-shirt while posing for a team photo with a trophy and this is only meaningful if it occurs on a Final Four contender; even if that means never getting out of warmup clothes on this top team. Life-long spectators may even feel that wanting to significantly participate in the games of a sport one has spent many hours training and practising with that as a goal, is egotistical.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
duckies will have home court advantage again next year with the first four in their backyard....of course its all "if"....but a pretty good gift to the duckies...

I don't remember you complaining when the western regional was in Spokane...

- Amanda Gorman
brunie1064

PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Coaches often break promises, so it’s tough to stay with them. There was supposed to be two Sabally’s playing this year.

There are two Saballys on the Oregon team this season... just that the younger has been out injured all season.

brunie1064

PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

There are two Saballys on the Oregon team this season... just that the younger has been out injured all season.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

brunie1064 wrote:
Shades wrote:

That’s the point I was making.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the second Sabally would have cut into playing time for McGwire. Different positions. And I think there would have been times when both McG and Ruthie would have been on the floor together, as well as times where McG could have given Ruthie much longer breathers. To me, she could easily have gotten 15-20 minutes a night, so not like someone on the end of Geno's bench who might average 30 seconds, if that. But I do understand the desire for more playing time and by going to Boise St or Idaho St (forgetting which) she'll be a big fish in a small pond. My niece was recruited by P12 schools but choose the other route and it turned out well for her. Different strokes. But it did hurt Oregon to not have that size when they needed it.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: