RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Connecticut vs #1 Notre Dame - 4/05/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
Notre Dame
69%
 69%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 36

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

But it's ALLLLL Good. Excellent, even. Really. There were constant in-game adjustments, and players rising up to the challenge of what unknown was coming next.

That sounds like what a game between two Hall of Fame coaches would be like... Wink

As a ND alumnus who has watched a lot of Football games, I have to say "In game adjustments? What a concept!" Confused

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
All the UConn hates come out Laughing Mulkey is the lesser of two evils so go Bears!

UConn haters? What comments did you find egregious? I thought the vast majority of the comments were not mean-spirited at all.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J8H87IXspCQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/06/19 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the wide open missed layup from KLS really was a game changer in my opinion.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/19 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno summed it up as it’s more about the players than the coaching.
2012-2016 UConn is a prime example of that.
But who’s responsible for acquiring those players?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/06/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

More congrats to UConn. I'm surprised they went this far.

yeah, me too.

__________x

PostPosted: 04/06/19 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
That Muffet/Geno postgame handshake was about as perfunctory as they come. Those two genuinely don't like each other, do they?

I think Geno hates Muffet even more than he hated Pat. He at least gave Pat some (extremely) grudging respect.

Last edited by summertime blues on 04/06/19 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
If you have six #1's and #2's who all play the same position, you still have a problem with balance. Not saying it's exactly that, but you could say 4 of their starters are close to that. Dangerfield is a PG. Ododa is a post. The rest are pretty much wings.

Collier averages 11 boards and 2 blocks per game! She averages more blocks than she does trey attempts. Collier's not a wing, man.

ETA: Collier led the AAC in rebounding this season, and was 2nd in the conference in blocks. If she's a wing, then I guess I just don't know what a wing is anymore.

She will be a wing at the next level. She's a post here because they had nobody else who could be a post other than Ododa who's a Freshman. Collier's maybe 6'1". She did a fantastic job as a 'post' whose body really wasn't meant to be a post.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/06/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't gotten to see much of Notre Dame this year, partly because we don't get ACC on our cable (never mind we're <65 miles from Charlottesville) and partly because whenever they *are* on we're somewhere else, most often at a JMU game or out for dinner after. So I was pleasantly surprised by Jessica Shepard's transformation. She was clunky and slow when she came from Nebraska--now she doesn't look or play like the same kid! Congrats to her, the trainers and the nutritionists for the hard work I know that took; 40 lbs. is a lot to drop.

Kellie Harper, take note and apply to your sophomore center...she's good and can be a LOT better.

PostPosted: 04/06/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame scores at 1:30 to go in the 4th.

Dangerfield gets the ball and goes dribbledribbledribbledribble.
(dribbledribbledribble is always a bad possession, see the ghost of Stephon Marbury)
UConn should have called timeout right then.
They could have set-up either a slow 2 for 1 possessions, or a quicker 3 for 2.
I don't have access, but I bet Vegas still had the odds for the game above 40% for UConn at that moment.
Instead they called timeout the next time down the court.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/06/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
If you have six #1's and #2's who all play the same position, you still have a problem with balance. Not saying it's exactly that, but you could say 4 of their starters are close to that. Dangerfield is a PG. Ododa is a post. The rest are pretty much wings.

Collier averages 11 boards and 2 blocks per game! She averages more blocks than she does trey attempts. Collier's not a wing, man.

ETA: Collier led the AAC in rebounding this season, and was 2nd in the conference in blocks. If she's a wing, then I guess I just don't know what a wing is anymore.

She will be a wing at the next level. She's a post here because they had nobody else who could be a post other than Ododa who's a Freshman. Collier's maybe 6'1". She did a fantastic job as a 'post' whose body really wasn't meant to be a post.

There are a lot of college players who will have to play a different position at the next level. A fantastic college "post" who will have to change positions in the W is a fantastic college post, period.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/07/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to ND. This loss just gutted me all night and day yesterday, which I'm sure all the UCONN haters will love to hear. I feel better today though. ND is just plain a better team with more weapons than we have. Recruiting is cyclical and getting Bueckers is a great start at bouncing back.

All I could think of the whole game was what could've been if A'Zure would have stayed for her last year of eligibility. Womp. Womp.

All in all, we had a great year with the personnel we have. When your two best players aren't the two most important positions on the floor, you're in for some hurt!

linkster

PostPosted: 04/07/19 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
There are a lot of college players who will have to play a different position at the next level. A fantastic college "post" who will have to change positions in the W is a fantastic college post, period.

Moore played the 4 at UConn. Charles was a 5. They both have done a passable job in new positions. Collier has all the tools to be successful in the W. There is a question about what letter goes after her name but that is just bookkeeping.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Congrats to ND. This loss just gutted me all night and day yesterday, which I'm sure all the UCONN haters will love to hear. I feel better today though. ND is just plain a better team with more weapons than we have. Recruiting is cyclical and getting Bueckers is a great start at bouncing back.

All I could think of the whole game was what could've been if A'Zure would have stayed for her last year of eligibility. Womp. Womp.

All in all, we had a great year with the personnel we have. When your two best players aren't the two most important positions on the floor, you're in for some hurt!

I hear what you're saying about Stevens, but I'm not sure it really would have changed things. What you'd then have is your TWO tallest players both being afraid of contact and wanting to play 25 feet from the basket. I think you're better with Walker. Stevens was there last year and even with ND playing Westbeld rather than Turner, you lost.

Maybe having Stevens might have provided another three point shooter, but I'm not convinced it would have addressed the Shepard/Turner problem.

You had a great year. I think perhaps the early win over ND and then the lack of other tough games (several opponents expected to be schedule-tougheners ended up having off years) created some possibly inflated expectations. Even so, the talent level is so high that you were in the Final Four and with a couple of breaks you could have won the whole thing.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/07/19 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She will be a wing, out of necessity, because there is no other suitable position.

Which is why I don't understand the "first pick in the draft" talk. She's a great college player. I always liked her, and was much more disappointed when she picked UConn than I was Samuelson (ND was recruiting both). But in every sport at every level there are players who are great but are simply too small or too slow to be great at the next level. I think Collier will be ok, but she's not really a great wing but can't play the position she plays in college.

Who else other than Baylor and Notre Dame did UConn play this year that had quality size in the post? No one? Her performance in the paint may be somewhat misleading because of the competition.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/07/19 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

She will be a wing, out of necessity, because there is no other suitable position.

I have no idea why she couldn't be a serviceable 4 in the pros. I mean, size alone isn't everything: Erlana and Taj played the 5 with neither one topping 6'2". And her perimeter abilities makes her a tough defensive assignment for another 4. But regardless, I think she's been UConn's brightest star for a couple of years, and has a great upside. Another great coach could make her an even better standout.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I have no idea why she couldn't be a serviceable 4 in the pros. I mean, size alone isn't everything: Erlana and Taj played the 5 with neither one topping 6'2". And her perimeter abilities makes her a tough defensive assignment for another 4. But regardless, I think she's been UConn's brightest star for a couple of years, and has a great upside. Another great coach could make her an even better standout.

Those are your best examples? To prove what, exactly. Nether was within light years of being the top pick in the draft. And if this was 1999 maybe Collier could get drafted to play in the paint today. But it's not.

Why exactly would she be a "tough defensive assignment" for Stewart or Delle Donne or Ogwumike for example? And how is she going to defend any of them?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/19 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swin Cash was a four at UConn. She led the BEast in rebounding as a senior. She played the three in the W, because even then she was too slightly built to play in the post.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Those are your best examples? To prove what, exactly. Nether was within light years of being the top pick in the draft. And if this was 1999 maybe Collier could get drafted to play in the paint today. But it's not.

Yep. They BOTH prove that "size" IS NOT the only criteria for success as a post player. Hence, Miss Collier doesn't have to believe any naysayers who declare her too small for post play. And while I believe she'll play a lot of 3, she'll be capable of filling in at the 4. RE: Draft Pick status: just ask Mama Taj how many Top Draft Picks she outlasted. She was unhearalded from DIII, but had phenomenal career, playing amongst the greats like Lisa, Margo, Yo, etc.

ArtBest23 wrote:
Why exactly would she be a "tough defensive assignment" for Stewart or Delle Donne or Ogwumike for example? And how is she going to defend any of them?

Didn't say she'd be "tough" for every player, but she's intelligent and athletic. Not every 4 in the league has the agility/speed to nullify her on the perimeter. HER defense can grow, but she's NOT shabby.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You haven't noticed that players are taller, stronger, quicker, and more athletic than they were 20 years ago?

Neither of these players were remotely "stars". Nor were they anything close to the top pick in the draft. And if they were seniors this year, it's doubtful they would even be drafted.

I said Collier would play. I also said that because of her lack of a position appropriate to her size and skill set, I don't understand at all any discussion of her being the top pick in the draft.

Why not address the actual point being discussed. If you're trying to prove she can make a roster, then we are in agreement. If you're trying to prove she should be the top overall pick, then start over.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/07/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Neither of these players were remotely "stars".

Laughing Mama Taj was an All-Star six times, and earned two WNBA championships. She's a Star. Probably even make the HOF, eventually.

ArtBest23 wrote:
Why not address the actual point being discussed. If you're trying to prove she can make a roster, then we are in agreement. If you're trying to prove she should be the top overall pick, then start over.

"The point" being discussed was whether or not Collier was 'big enough' to play in the post at the next level. I never said she was a 1 draft pick.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Laughing Mama Taj was an All-Star six times, and earned two WNBA championships. She's a Star. Probably even make the HOF, eventually.

You persist in ignoring that she joined the league TWENTY YEARS AGO. It was an entirely different game. Players were entirely different. It's not 1999 any more. Deal with it.

Unless you intend to send Collier back in time to a point where she might have been marginally big enough. Do you have HG Wells on speed dial?

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/07/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

from bleacherreport.com article....

"I love the fact that she can put the ball on the floor and that she can stretch the floor," two-time WNBA MVP Candace Parker tells B/R. "She plays bigger than she is. That's the type of game coming into the WNBA that will translate, because that's where the WNBA is now. It's positionless.

"Obviously, I'm in no way a Connecticut fan, but I'm a Phee fan because I know how much work she puts in."

To come this far, Collier had to.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2829439

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

"I love the fact that she can put the ball on the floor and that she can stretch the floor," two-time WNBA MVP Candace Parker tells B/R. "She plays bigger than she is. That's the type of game coming into the WNBA that will translate, because that's where the WNBA is now. It's positionless.

"Obviously, I'm in no way a Connecticut fan, but I'm a Phee fan because I know how much work she puts in."

What team do you back?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

What team do you back?

Oh, I get it. Candace said she is not a UConn fan. But you are, I assume. Gabby Williams had some trouble adjusting her game to the WNBA, but rookie seasons are hard no matter what. I expect that Pheesa will also have a difficult adjustment but I'm pulling for her. I like her a lot but I'm a bit less fond of Lou.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: