RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UNC Staff Placed on Leave Amid Review of Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/19 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
North Carolina is playing with fire putting Hatchel on paid leave. If they are not careful the Tenn Vols will hire her right out from under them.

Was this an attempt at a joke? Because it wasn't funny.

PostPosted: 04/04/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very long article in the Washington Post detailing the allegations being made against Hatchell:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/sylvia-hatchell-accused-of-racially-insensitive-remarks-forcing-unc-players-to-play-hurt/2019/04/04/499eb824-56f4-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html?utm_term=.2c6bc7ed7403

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The parallels to Miller's The Crucible keep becoming a stronger and more recurrent theme.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The New York Times is now reporting on the allegations of racially insensitive remarks as well

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/north-carolina-sylvia-hatchell.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The allegations of making the players play through injury are more troubling to me than the "racially insensitive remarks". What I see reported as "insensitive remarks" are reported differently from different people so how can anyone take them for gospel? But I am seriously bothered by the reports of making players play hurt.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Warnings that players would be "hanged from trees with nooses" and forcing players to compete despite potentially serious injuries are among the accusations levied against legendary North Carolina women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell, according to a Washington Post report...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/acc/2019/04/04/sylvia-hatchell-unc-womens-basketball-coach-accused-making-racist-comments/3370624002/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/05/19 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Warnings that players would be "hanged from trees with nooses" and forcing players to compete despite potentially serious injuries are among the accusations levied against legendary North Carolina women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell, according to a Washington Post report...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/acc/2019/04/04/sylvia-hatchell-unc-womens-basketball-coach-accused-making-racist-comments/3370624002/

I wonder if "hanged from trees with nooses" is verbatim. That can be pretty targetting language, especially in that region govern history. And is that different from, "I'm going to string you up if.....". As a kid, I was always goi g to be strung up by parents, even teachers, who might be exasperated with the antics of me or my peers. Of course that was 30 years ago and in Minnesota. Different times, different regions .....

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/05/19 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Very long article in the Washington Post detailing the allegations being made against Hatchell:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/sylvia-hatchell-accused-of-racially-insensitive-remarks-forcing-unc-players-to-play-hurt/2019/04/04/499eb824-56f4-11e9-814f-e2f46684196e_story.html?utm_term=.2c6bc7ed7403

According to parents, this current series of pending transfers, however, is owed at least in part to a rift with players caused by a series of bizarre racial comments they accuse Hatchell of making over the past two seasons.

The first occurred during the 2017-18 season, which ended with a 15-16 record for the Tar Heels, 4-12 in the ACC. In the locker room during a game late in that season, according to six parents who spoke to their daughters after the game, Hatchell said that she should have known she couldn’t win championships with “a bunch of old mules.” In addition to viewing the comment as racially offensive, the players and their parents also found it strange, because the Tar Heels were a relatively young college team.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/05/19 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The boulder has already left the top of the mountain and is going to crush the coaching staff...retire, get a nice $$$ package, and call it a day...NC will NEVER recover in the recruiting wars from this nor will Hatchell...

Using homophobic messages to recruits is nothing new in the world of women's college coaching...it has been happening for YEARS!

pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Using homophobic messages to recruits is nothing new in the world of women's college coaching...it has been happening for YEARS!

As much as we might despise it, there's only one reason it persists. All too often, it works.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
The boulder has already left the top of the mountain and is going to crush the coaching staff...retire, get a nice $$$ package, and call it a day...NC will NEVER recover in the recruiting wars from this nor will Hatchell...

Yep. Robin Pingeton of Mizzou is a prime example.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing that Hatchell would utter racist remarks, as she's had black players who've starred for her team for decades and she's also had black assistants.

As to playing with injuries, usually the medical staff has the final say on such things.

This whole society is going overboard in its snowflakery and the various hunts for witches, and I think some of that is now infecting women's sports.
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

And her former boss, Bill Fennelly. And apparently even Geno.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

Shameless rumor mongering. If you have evidence, state it. If not, stop defaming people.
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

Shameless rumor mongering. If you have evidence, state it. If not, stop defaming people.

http://www.espn.com/ncw/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I have a hard time believing that Hatchell would utter racist remarks, as she's had black players who've starred for her team for decades and she's also had black assistants.

As to playing with injuries, usually the medical staff has the final say on such things.

This whole society is going overboard in its snowflakery and the various hunts for witches, and I think some of that is now infecting women's sports.

I can't see how the remark about not winning with "old mules" is racist unless you want it to be. I'd take it as a reference about players being too stubborn to listen to the coaching staff. And how often have we seen that lately? Almost all of these confrontations have involved players who want to do their own thing and feel slighted by criticism vs coaches who don't understand that criticism, discipline, and any colorful remarks will be resented. I get that some coaches really do cross the line, but the players seem to expect they can shift that line to suit themselves.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pingeton's message is well known. Apparently she carries the "message" to parents too when recruiting their daughters.

https://www.outsports.com/2011/7/14/4051534/expert-panel-debates-the-homophobia-that-confronts-lesbians-in-sports (read down the page a bit)

https://www.outsports.com/2011/7/14/4051534/expert-panel-debates-the-homophobia-that-confronts-lesbians-in-sports

PostPosted: 04/05/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will again say that Hatchell's wins-and-losses performance over the past four years (19-45 in ACC play), combined with the fact that Stephanie Watts is transferring, should alone be enough to get rid of her. I don't view this as players just not listening to a coach or being stubborn. I view this as a coach who the game passed by about a decade ago.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I will again say that Hatchell's wins-and-losses performance over the past four years (19-45 in ACC play), combined with the fact that Stephanie Watts is transferring, should alone be enough to get rid of her. I don't view this as players just not listening to a coach or being stubborn. I view this as a coach who the game passed by about a decade ago.

I agree that Hatchell's performance is not good, but if that is the real issue then the AD should just fire her. If the players are fabricating accusations of racism because they believe (rightfully, IMO) that the coaching is poor, then that's disgraceful.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/05/19 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is North Carolina, after all ...

If they can make up courses, and make up grades, why not make up charges so they can fire people and not honor their contracts?

This is a bandit university, top to bottom, so little surprises me.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

Thank you for re-posting this fantastic article. Interesting no mention of Rene Portland, who finally lost her job for her rabidly homophobic policies at Penn St.

~rAf
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/05/19 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This is North Carolina, after all ...

If they can make up courses, and make up grades, why not make up charges so they can fire people and not honor their contracts?

This is a bandit university, top to bottom, so little surprises me.

Youch!

Speebs56

PostPosted: 04/08/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

Thank you for re-posting this fantastic article. Interesting no mention of Rene Portland, who finally lost her job for her rabidly homophobic policies at Penn St.

The date on article is 2011 -- when did Rene Portland finally leave PSU?

I think even since 2011 attitudes may have changed - for the better, in many instances. I certainly hope so!

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/08/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
PRballer wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

The date on article is 2011 -- when did Rene Portland finally leave PSU?

I think even since 2011 attitudes may have changed - for the better, in many instances. I certainly hope so!

It is odd that Portland/Penn State were not mentioned as this was always the seminal case of homophobia in women's basketball.

Maureen "resigned" after the 2006-07 season.

elsie

PostPosted: 04/08/19 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if the msg is that homosexual players are accepted with wide open arms so your dtr will feel kinship here OR if your dtr is heterosexual , we accept all players and try to have a loving Christian family atmosphere WHAT the H is wrong with that?

if your dtr is homosexual as a parent you would certainly want assurances that she would be treated with respect and be free of harassment and the opposite is true as well.. you would want your heterosexual dtr to fee safe and accepted....

whatever your kid is, as a parent you want them to feel welcome....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: