RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Oregon vs #1 Baylor - 4/05/19
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Oregon
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Baylor
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 33

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/19 10:34 pm    ::: #2 Oregon vs #1 Baylor - 4/05/19 Reply Reply with quote

National Semifinal
Tampa, FL - 7:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2 (Adam Amin, Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo)

Stream:
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=2335d2fa-62a4-4a63-a1e6-4f697d35dade&lang=en (tvpli)

Audio:
https://tunein.com/radio/Oregon-IMG-Sports-Network-s206509/

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/ncaa/site.php?sid=wbb1

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/group/100/date/20190405

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/05/19 11:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/19 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many seemed to be interested in a Kalani Brown vs. Tierra McCowan game in this semi. I never was, because they're not the kind of players I like to watch. I think Oregon will be a much more interesting opponent for Baylor because of the contrast in team styles.

Baylor dominates the paint with Brown-Cox and penetrating drivers, but is LAST of 351 D1 schools in percentage of points from the three-point line (11.7%).

Oregon gets 34.5% of its points from the three-point line and is first in D1 in 3pt% at 41.4%, having four three-point threats in the starting lineup. In addition, Oregon has two 6-4 bigs who can battle and score in the paint.

Oregon's defense seems to wax and wane more than Baylor's, but I'll go against the odds and predict a Duck win.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What you leave out is Baylor isn’t exactly terrible at three point shooting. They just don’t need to rely on it like say an Oregon. If you can be a dominating #1 team without relying on a lower percentage shot, how can that be viewed as anything other than a winning formula?

Baylor is #3 in the country in 3-pt percentage.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 04/03/19 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
What you leave out is Baylor isn’t exactly terrible at three point shooting. They just don’t need to rely on it like say an Oregon. If you can be a dominating #1 team without relying on a lower percentage shot, how can that be viewed as anything other than a winning formula?

Oregon has taken about 3 times as many 3's as Baylor, a team that averages only 3 a game. They are shooting 42% to 38% for Baylor. And 9 a game really isn't a lot either but 3/gm is like never shooting them at all.

Both rosters are experiencing the FF for the 1st time. While Baylor is very powerful Kim has choked with great teams in the past. IN the FF it's execution rather than reputation that wins. Unforced errors are more important than 3pt%.

All I really want to see is Kim tossing a leather jacket into the crowd. Very Happy

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/19 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I did see that but I discount it because only Landrum in the starting lineup shoots threes and is the only one who shoots threes at a decent percentage. Baylor's starting lineup has made only 77 3pt shots on the season. Juicy Landrum is 61-52 (.401), Cox 15-48 (.313), Jackson 1-5 (.200), Brown 0-1 (.000), and Richards 0-0 (.000). Hence, if you can stop Landrum, you stop Baylor's entire three-point attack.

In contrast, Oregon's starting lineup has hit 332 3pt shots on the season, and Ionescu, Sabally, Boley and Cazorla have each hit as many, or many more, threes than Juicy Landrum and each shoots threes at a higher percentage in the 40%'s than Landrum.

Dramatic offensive balance difference, which should make for an interesting contrast.
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 04/03/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah Cazorla glued to Landrum.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/19 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon. I don't even think it will be close. But of course I've been dissing Baylor all year and here they are at #1. Kelly just needs to look at the scout and what Stanford did to them.

- Amanda Gorman
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/03/19 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Oregon. I don't even think it will be close. But of course I've been dissing Baylor all year and here they are at #1. Kelly just needs to look at the scout and what Stanford did to them.

The problem with that theory is that Baylor has changed its defense since the Stanford game (largely because of it). It's one reason why no one has been able to shoot threes on them since. The in your face defense is pretty tough. I'll be impressed if OU can break 65.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/03/19 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Duck offense runs through Ionescu. If Mulkey uses Richards to guard Ionescu then the Ducks might have a rough night. If Ionescu has another dynamic game like she had against Mississippi State then it will probably be a Ducks win.

PostPosted: 04/04/19 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The Duck offense runs through Ionescu. If Mulkey uses Richards to guard Ionescu then the Ducks might have a rough night. If Ionescu has another dynamic game like she had against Mississippi State then it will probably be a Ducks win.

This ______

PostPosted: 04/04/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren F. Cox

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/04/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Lauren F. Cox

Satou Sabally

- Amanda Gorman
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/04/19 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Lauren F. Cox

Satou Sabally

(Hope you're right, as I'm definitely NOT a Baylor Bear fan...)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
myrtle wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Lauren F. Cox

Satou Sabally

(Hope you're right, as I'm definitely NOT a Baylor Bear fan...)

Nor am I. Only if the final comes down to Baylor-UConn, then I guess I hold my nose......

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/04/19 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever Brown guards (Hebard, I assume) will set the pick and roll. I can see how Brown will be susceptible to this.

Mich St handled it well by hedging high and very strong, which rustled lame Duck feathers.

I think Baylor would be better served in this game having Gustafson rather than Brown.

Can Richards, Jackson and Cox disrupt Oregon enough, is what I'll be looking for in this game.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 04/04/19 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/04/19 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love DiDi Richards. So fun to watch. Can't shoot for shit but does everything else.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/04/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Your 'dissing' is chronic, my dear. You DO have certain *bragging rights*, tho, given The Cardinal handed them their only loss, but still.... Razz

I find the possible outcomes to be so potentially diverse: EITHER team has the potential to take it, depending on so many unforseeable variables. The obvious ones (Sabrina, Satou are 'off' on their shooting, Kalani picks up early fouls, blah, blah) Will Landrum show up? Cazorla? Holey-Boley?

The thing I keep coming back to is that (imo), the Brown/Cox duo ain't quite as good as the McCowan/Howard duo AND Vic's defense is generally better than Kim's (Yes, I know....Baylor's season average allowed opponents 'only' 54 pts/game, and MS-States came in at 58, BUT, played much stronger conference teams).....AND....Kelly still beat Vic. Twice. I should think he's feeling The Ducks have REAL good shot at Baylor.

Undoubtedly, he's experienced enough to know better than to underestimate Kim--she certainly will be ready.

Oughtta. Be. OUTSTANDING. Cool

PostPosted: 04/04/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I love DiDi Richards. So fun to watch. Can't shoot for shit but does everything else.

Did you say she can't shoot for shit. She had 16 points in their game against Iowa. More points than Brown.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/04/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Hebard doesn't really take many shots more than eight feet from the basket. I would have Brown protect the paint and dare Hebard to make deep jump shots.

PostPosted: 04/04/19 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rb8bwwG62hI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 04/04/19 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_dOTGaoUde0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 04/04/19 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-8INCcDASk0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Hebard doesn't really take many shots more than eight feet from the basket. I would have Brown protect the paint and dare Hebard to make deep jump shots.

What happens when Hebard sets the pick up top for Ionescu? If Brown stays in the paint, Ionescu will score 30 from 15-10' out.

I would play a 3-2 with Richards on top at some point, just to see what happens.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Whoever Brown guards (Hebard, I assume) will set the pick and roll. I can see how Brown will be susceptible to this.

Mich St handled it well by hedging high and very strong, which rustled lame Duck feathers.

I think Baylor would be better served in this game having Gustafson rather than Brown.

Can Richards, Jackson and Cox disrupt Oregon enough, is what I'll be looking for in this game.

The difference with pick & rolling Brown is Cox will be the opposite post down low defending the rim versus Anriel Howard . Im sure Mulkey is well aware of the scheme that was used against McCowan .

PostPosted: 04/05/19 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Did you say she can't shoot for shit. She had 16 points in their game against Iowa. More points than Brown.

layups. Yeah, if you let her get real close, she can make shots. And she is quick enough and sneaky enough to get there. But have you seen her shot? It is Uggggly. Very flat and if she shoots from more than 6-8', which is rare, it bounces straight back off the back rim.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: