RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OT a Little - Men's FF Schedule Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/04/19 8:15 am    ::: OT a Little - Men's FF Schedule Issues Reply Reply with quote

Apparently Saturday/Monday doesn't work for some. This crosses both championships. What are the best days to play?

Will the men ever change? Will they consider Friday/Sunday? Will that mean the women will change, again? What about back-to-back days? They do it in conf. tourney.

Quote:
But seriously, why are we still living in a world of Monday night championship games? A work/school night with the game starting after 9 p.m. ET?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2019/04/04/final-four-schedule-games-thursday-saturday/39297431/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/04/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I propose Fri/Sun for both. Stagger the 4 Friday games by an hour, so anyone that is really interested in all four games can at least see the second halves.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/04/19 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a fan, I don't care too much about what days because I'll watch regardless. I haven't been to a WFF since 2017 because they took away the open practices, all 4 autograph sessions, announcing of the All American team at the practices, getting to meet the team bands/mascots, and just the magic that was the WFF. Maybe it's good this year, it just killed the experience for me in 2017 and the miserable volunteers and staff in Dallas just killed everything. Bring back the ultimate fan experience!!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/04/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think telecast times are becoming less important as television habits change. I just googled a bunch of articles from Nielsen, Variety, Deadline, etc,, and learned that more than 53% of households used DVR's in 2017, and only 17-39% use predominantly live television viewing as their default. This trend is even more pronounced among younger age groups.

If viewers aren't going to watch sports events in real time, have both men's and women's tourneys on Fri/Sun when it's less likely to interfere with work, school, etc for attendees.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/04/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I think telecast times are becoming less important as television habits change. I just googled a bunch of articles from Nielsen, Variety, Deadline, etc,, and learned that more than 53% of households used DVR's in 2017, and only 17-39% use predominantly live television viewing as their default. This trend is even more pronounced among younger age groups.

If viewers aren't going to watch sports events in real time, have both men's and women's tourneys on Fri/Sun when it's less likely to interfere with work, school, etc for attendees.

Just because fewer folks watch live TV doesn't mean they aren't watching sports in real time. We hardly ever watch live TV any more (we mostly stream or watch stuff recorded on our DVR), except for news and sports. Even when we've missed a game and recorded it, it's just not the same as when it's live and we usually wind up not watching it at all.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/04/19 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Put them both in the same place and sell the sport of BASKETBALL...high school and colleges should do the same...

Final four - men's and women's semi's Friday afternoon and evening...male team plays first followed by the women's team OR females play first game - males second...evening session - reverse the order...1PM and 3PM...clear out the venue for the evening session - 7PM and 9PM games.

Finals on Sunday - same thing each year... reverse if the men's play at 7PM or 9PM and then women the other way around...OR men in afternoon one year clear out the venue and women's in the evening or vice versa...

WI has 5 classes and they get all those games in (final 4 for each class) on one weekend and then guys follow the next weekend...if they can get that many games on for almost 20 teams for only one sex on a weekend, the NCAA can get 8 teams in for one weekend...

but let's be honest...the all mighty $$$ and profit NCAA, CBS, and ESPN make... this will NEVER happen!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/04/19 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Put them both in the same place and sell the sport of BASKETBALL...high school and colleges should do the same...

Final four - men's and women's semi's Friday afternoon and evening...male team plays first followed by the women's team OR females play first game - males second...evening session - reverse the order...1PM and 3PM...clear out the venue for the evening session - 7PM and 9PM games.

Finals on Sunday - same thing each year... reverse if the men's play at 7PM or 9PM and then women the other way around...OR men in afternoon one year clear out the venue and women's in the evening or vice versa...

WI has 5 classes and they get all those games in (final 4 for each class) on one weekend and then guys follow the next weekend...if they can get that many games on for almost 20 teams for only one sex on a weekend, the NCAA can get 8 teams in for one weekend...

but let's be honest...the all mighty $$$ and profit NCAA, CBS, and ESPN make... this will NEVER happen!

They did something similar several years ago. Men in Seattle and women in Tacoma. They played on alternate days. The thought was that with all of the media in town, that on the men's off day they would be able to cover the women and that basketball fans would want more basketball.

Didn't happen.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Phil

PostPosted: 04/05/19 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Just because fewer folks watch live TV doesn't mean they aren't watching sports in real time. We hardly ever watch live TV any more (we mostly stream or watch stuff recorded on our DVR), except for news and sports. Even when we've missed a game and recorded it, it's just not the same as when it's live and we usually wind up not watching it at all.

Someone needs to do the research on live sports. I don't have the data, just anecdotes, but I have relatives who use a DVR extensively, EXCEPT for live sports. when I had them over to the house for some holiday get-together, and proposed watching some game on a delayed basis, they were aghast.

I do it all the time, but some do not.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/05/19 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by Phil on 04/05/19 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love fri/sun for wcb. I don't care what mcb does. Although, it's about time they went to 4 quarters.

Also, i dvr a ton of stuff, but watch sports live if at all possible. It's just not the same otherwise.

PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I love fri/sun for wcb. I don't care what mcb does. Although, it's about time they went to 4 quarters.

Also, i dvr a ton of stuff, but watch sports live if at all possible. It's just not the same otherwise.

I still don't get the opposition to quarters. 20 minutes is 20 minutes. What difference does it make?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the proposal is stupid. Whether we like it or not the games are scheduled by the networks that pay the big bucks. If people had a problem with the Monday final it would have been changed by now.

I would like the World Series to be played during the day. I wish the Super Bowl would be played in less than 4 hours without an extra long halftime and so many commercials. I wish the Stanley Cup wasn't relegated to NBCSN and CNBC. And I wish the NBA first round wouldn't take so long to play. But the networks dictate these things because that is the way they can make the most money, and if the watching demographics dictated something different then that is what would happen.

The Women's tournament will not go head-to-head with the Men. If the Men changed to Friday-Sunday the women would change to either Thursday-Saturday or, more likely, Saturday-Monday.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/06/19 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I think the proposal is stupid. Whether we like it or not the games are scheduled by the networks that pay the big bucks. If people had a problem with the Monday final it would have been changed by now.

I would like the World Series to be played during the day. I wish the Super Bowl would be played in less than 4 hours without an extra long halftime and so many commercials. I wish the Stanley Cup wasn't relegated to NBCSN and CNBC. And I wish the NBA first round wouldn't take so long to play. But the networks dictate these things because that is the way they can make the most money, and if the watching demographics dictated something different then that is what would happen.

The Women's tournament will not go head-to-head with the Men. If the Men changed to Friday-Sunday the women would change to either Thursday-Saturday or, more likely, Saturday-Monday.

I agree.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/19 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guys that cover MCBB won't cover WCBB. Putting the two together in the same place and/or the same days will result in even less women's coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: