RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Do Female Basketball Coaches Wear Heels?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/02/19 12:53 pm    ::: Why Do Female Basketball Coaches Wear Heels? Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instyle.com/fashion/female-basketball-coaches-wear-high-heels

Quote:
historically, even when a majority of women held these coveted jobs, they dressed in a way that mimicked their male colleagues and counterparts: in suits, but this time with heels.

PostPosted: 04/02/19 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never understood why they all wear heels myself.

Seems it would be terrible on their feet/ankles with all the walking they do in the relative short time frame.

Also, I'd think they'd be more of a chance of them falling given that the floors can likely get slippery.

I would think they'd rather wear more comfortable footwear.
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/02/19 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much pressure to present themselves as feminine, or "not lesbians." As if there aren't lesbian coaches in heels.

I think UK asst coach Niya Butts is one hot woman! https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/65/a65683c4-b1b3-11e5-9dba-2b6f9c33ef9a/56886fc542b28.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C1327

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/02/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Final Four this weekend, we can also expect to see those wonderful Target commercials from the past couple years. The ones where they show supposed female “athletes”, dribbling basketballs in high heels and cute clothes. Yes, my girl and her teammates know how to dress up cute when the situation calls for it, but never on the court! They even dress very low-key (sweats or jeans) to go to the men’s games!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I started a whole thread last year asking the same question. You can probably still find it under the header "Stilettos". My question about it was, doesn't it ruin the courts? I know they're on the sidelines most of the time, but they do run out to check on injured players, and they're out there watching shoot-around, etc.

One of JMU's coaches is quite tall and doesn't look very good or very comfortable in stilettos either. She is bowlegged and also somewhat pigeon-toed, and the shoes just emphasize that, especially in the short skirts she favors. Not a great look, IMNSHO.

PostPosted: 04/02/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I started a whole thread last year asking the same question. You can probably still find it under the header "Stilettos". My question about it was, doesn't it ruin the courts? I know they're on the sidelines most of the time, but they do run out to check on injured players, and they're out there watching shoot-around, etc.

One of JMU's coaches is quite tall and doesn't look very good or very comfortable in stilettos either. She is bowlegged and also somewhat pigeon-toed, and the shoes just emphasize that, especially in the short skirts she favors. Not a great look, IMNSHO.

I do remember that thread. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread actually. The floors are a good point, but maybe if they stay mostly on the sidelines it's not that bad.

As for the article, as long as the women are comfortable and doing it because they want to, great. I think it's great to read how the looks are running the gamut from heels and dresses for Nicki Collen to Chuck Taylors and bow ties for Niya Butts (that look reminds me of the tailored slacks and bow tie that Layshia Clarendon wears when doing game broadcasts) to show that a woman doesn't just have to look one certain way.

But it is odd for hoops and hockey where the coaches are so dressed up. I don't think we need it like baseball where the managers are in uniforms too, but in between ain't that bad haha

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/02/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1504280

PostPosted: 04/02/19 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't really care one way or the other if coaches try to be fashion plates or casual dressers. It has always struck me, however, that high heels must be uncomfortable. Could a woman baseball manager or coach with high heels kick sufficient dirt at an umpire?
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/02/19 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

high heels are the dumbest things. women, you been played.

PostPosted: 04/02/19 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I was last at a FF event (Indy), I remember being struck by how many Very Tall women were wearing high heels....not the coaches, but the FANS (many of them most probably former players). These were people who were not on camera, and didn't need to cater to anyone but their own desires.

Maybe they just LIKE high heels??? Shocked God Bless Free Will.

PostPosted: 04/03/19 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I have never worn anything more than a 1” heel, because I am 6’1”. I was always the tallest girl in school, and taller than 99% of the boys in school, and I felt uncomfortable. I admire these women who have the self assurance to say they don’t care what other people think, and they are going to wear heels because it makes them feel pretty. But I do not think they should be required to by some written or unwritten code. If they want to wear flats because it they are more comfortable, they should have that choice.

Then again, with my size 13 wide feet, It is also very hard to find anything that looks nice in a heel. But that’s a different issue....

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/03/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
When I was last at a FF event (Indy), I remember being struck by how many Very Tall women were wearing high heels....not the coaches, but the FANS (many of them most probably former players). These were people who were not on camera, and didn't need to cater to anyone but their own desires.

You were in Indy?! You shoulda looked me up!

Free will is fine. I like it. Laughing

I find it hard to believe stillettos are comfortable, and, these women may be chasing someone else's idea of beauty. But I admit it's all just a guess. Wink

PostPosted: 04/03/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The title of this thread should be "Why do women wear high heels?"

Because they're a fashion trend that serve no purpose except they supposedly make a woman's legs look better to men. They're not comfortable, they're expensive compared to their longevity, and they're terrible for your feet and back especially since most of them have pointy toes, no arch support, and no cushioning. Google "high heels" and "back pain" or "foot problems." And if you think they're bad for hardwood floors, you should see what they can do to vinyl or laminates.

Full disclosure: I am disabled due to chronic non-shoe-related back problems, and to see women risking back injuries because of the dictates of fashion really makes me angry.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/19 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I quit wearing high heels about 15 years ago because they hurt my feet....and I am all of 5'2. The heck with looking taller or "fashionable" or any of that! Comfort beats style any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

PostPosted: 04/03/19 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they're really ridiculous. Uncomfortable and dangerous. But to each their own.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:

You were in Indy?! You shoulda looked me up!

Oh, I DID.....you were with all the Hussy fans, and I was a Stanford fan, and I just could not stoop so low. Razz

myrtle wrote:

See, you Stanford gals.... Rolling Eyes Just think how much Tara could bring to Maples if she started wearing glitzy stilettoes and got a nice, bouffant beehive goin' on. mmmm-MMMM!

PostPosted: 04/03/19 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

myrtle wrote:

See, you Stanford gals.... Rolling Eyes Just think how much Tara could bring to Maples if she started wearing glitzy stilettoes and got a nice, bouffant beehive goin' on. mmmm-MMMM!

blech.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because they can?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/04/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do men where neckties? Why do players wear hair extensions? Why do men they wear wingtips instead of running shoes? Why do women wear eye shadow and lipstick?

Why does anyone cover their body with tats and piercings?

Might as well ask why the fashion, jewelry, cosmetic, and hair product industries exist, or why people of both sexes in every corner of the globe have been wearing such things since the dawn of recorded history.

Since no one is holding a gun to any head coach's head these days to force them to wear a particular piece of clothing or adornment, I don't really see why it's anyone's business what fashion statement and style they choose.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/04/19 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article here.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/all-about-sex/201612/the-uncanny-psychology-high-heels

pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's worth noting that heels were originally a men's fashion item

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21151350

PostPosted: 04/04/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(....wasn't that dude on RuPaul's Drag Race? Shocked )

PostPosted: 04/04/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(....wasn't that dude on RuPaul's Drag Race? Shocked )

Which one? Those are two different kings of two different countries.

PostPosted: 04/04/19 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Interesting article here.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/all-about-sex/201612/the-uncanny-psychology-high-heels

Yes, that article lays it all out to evolutionary sexuality:

Quote:
These experiments confirm what generations of women have intuitively known: High heels attract male attention. There are several reasons why. As heel height increases...:

- Women’s breasts look larger. High heels cause the back to over-arch, which thrusts the breasts forward, making them appear larger and more prominent. Many studies have shown that prominent breasts attract more male attention.

- Women’s buttocks appear larger because they are lifted in heels. Some research indicates that as perceived buttock size increases, men feel more attracted to women.

- While walking in heels, women’s hips and buttocks sway more because heels shorten women’s gait.

- Women’s feet look smaller. While there are men who feel attracted to all manner of women—thin, heavy, short, tall—men evolved to be generally bigger and taller than women, and to feel attracted to women who are more petite than they are. High heels make women’s feet look more petite and, therefore, more attractive.

This analysis focuses on attracting males. So, do only heterosexual women coaches wear high heels? Or do lesbian coaches wear them also to attract females? That might be hard to measure, as this article asserts that there are only two female head coaches who are openly gay: Stephanie White and Julie Shaw. What's in their shoe closets?
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/05/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Why do men where neckties? Why do players wear hair extensions? Why do men they wear wingtips instead of running shoes? Why do women wear eye shadow and lipstick?

Why does anyone cover their body with tats and piercings?

Might as well ask why the fashion, jewelry, cosmetic, and hair product industries exist, or why people of both sexes in every corner of the globe have been wearing such things since the dawn of recorded history.

Since no one is holding a gun to any head coach's head these days to force them to wear a particular piece of clothing or adornment, I don't really see why it's anyone's business what fashion statement and style they choose.

I allllllllmost never agree with ArtBest23 on here. But on this one, I'mm'a say that he speaks the absolute truth. At least one very prominent male coach (coughcough) wears an obvious hairpiece that (to put it mildly) is not to my own personal taste, but if it makes him happy, then God bless him! I feel the same about heels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: