RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Iowa vs #1 Baylor - 4/01/19
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Iowa
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Baylor
76%
 76%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 26

Shades

PostPosted: 03/30/19 4:09 pm    ::: #2 Iowa vs #1 Baylor - 4/01/19 Reply Reply with quote

Greensboro Regional Final
Greensboro, NC - 7:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2 (Pam Ward, Carolyn Peck)

Stream:
http://www.espn.com/watch (tvpli)

Audio:
https://baylorbears.com/watch/?Live=1228&type=Live (sub)

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/ncaa/site.php?sid=wbb1

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/group/100/date/20190401

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/01/19 8:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
terpsforever

PostPosted: 03/31/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like Iowa has a legit shot against Baylor. If they can hit their 3’s, I’m betting they win.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/31/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going up against a frontcourt of Brown and Cox might tell us some things about how Gustafson might look in the WNBA.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/31/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Going up against a frontcourt of Brown and Cox might tell us some things about how Gustafson might look in the WNBA.

Yes, it will tell some things. However, how many WNBA teams have a Brown and Cox in the front court and, more significantly, how many teams would Gustafson be on where she has such a paucity of height and scoring help in her own front court?

Gustafson sometimes reminds me of a taller Crystal Langhorne with a better and softer midrange shot.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/31/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want the Bears to win this game. My favorite person on this board wants to go Bear hunting again. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/31/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I want the Bears to win this game. My favorite person on this board wants to go Bear hunting again. Very Happy

I'm vegan. Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/31/19 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I'm vegan. Laughing

Who said anything about eating it Elmer Fudd? Laughing

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/31/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Baylor's perimeter D will be too much for Meyer, Doyle, Stewart et al, and Gust will have her own trouble on the blocks.

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

PostPosted: 03/31/19 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I think Baylor's perimeter D will be too much for Meyer, Doyle, Stewart et al, and Gust will have her own trouble on the blocks.

my thoughts too. I have hope though that they will manage to make it into another good game.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/01/19 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

my thoughts too. I have hope though that they will manage to make it into another good game.

One thing about Megan in her favor is that she's a post player that doesn't rely on the fall back-fadeaway--she's always moving INTO the defense, and with her style, could put Brown in foul trouble more quickly than most.

PostPosted: 04/01/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I was at both games Sat will be at the finals tonight....The Baylor guards are better than Iowa's...I see Baylor running away with this game

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I was at both games Sat will be at the finals tonight....The Baylor guards are better than Iowa's...I see Baylor running away with this game

Unfortunately, I do too. I'm hoping for a good game, but I'm not so sure that we're going to get it.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 04/01/19 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see any chance for Iowa. Gustafson will have the hardest game of the season going against the twin towers and the Baylor guards are way to athletic for the Iowa guards.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/01/19 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa girls have some spunk to them. I hope they can keep make it interesting. Will need to hit a lot of 3's.

As dominant as Baylor has looked I need to be reminded that the Big 12 sucked balls this year and South Carolina and Cal both threw in the towel early.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/01/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gustafson did put up 26 points on 11-16 shooting against Notre Dame, which has the stellar tandem of Shepard and Turner. Iowa also beat Maryland twice. The Terrapins have two quality posts in Stephanie Jones and 6-5 shot-blocking freshman Shakira Austin. In the first game, Gustafson put up 31 points on 10-18 shooting. In the second game, after Maryland theoretically had time to figure her out, Gustafson put up 45 points on 17-24 shooting. Austin fouled out after 14 minutes of play and Jones fouled out after logging 10. So, it's not like Gustafson hasn't succeeded against quality posts this season. I will also add that Hanna Stewart is a pretty solid college player. Megan won't be totally alone in the post. That's not to say Baylor won't be the toughest challenge yet. People always forget about NyLyssa Smith and Queen Egbo coming off the bench. Baylor doesn't only have the two monsters starting, they also have really good backups. In fact, I thought NyLssa Smith was the difference in the UConn game.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if Gustafson still has a good offensive game. The problem for Iowa is everywhere else, especially on defense. I guess what they need to happen is for Megan to get both Brown and Cox in foul trouble. Then if Baylor focuses too much on defending her, that would leave the Iowa guards open. They would then have to have the best shooting game of their lives. Smile

PostPosted: 04/01/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the bigger question is whether Gustafson can stay out of foul trouble. The game against Cal was over when Anigwe picked up her second foul in the first quarter. I don't believe Cal has a chance to win in any event, but the game got away from Cal when Anigwe lost her aggressiveness.

I don't believe Gustafson will be shut down as completely as Anigwe, but I see a lot of similarities between the two teams. I expect that at some point Gustafson will be taken out of her game, and once that happens Baylor should pull away.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/01/19 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having watched both players a lot this season, I can say Gustafson is much more careful about avoiding fouls than Anigwe. You rarely see her reach-in, move while setting screens or knock down defenders when posting-up. Megan would have to commit actual on-ball defending fouls to get in trouble. Certainly possible when dealing with Brown's size and strength, but you won't see Megan rack-up the cheap fouls that have plagued Kristine.

PostPosted: 04/01/19 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Having watched both players a lot this season, I can say Gustafson is much more careful about avoiding fouls than Anigwe. You rarely see her reach-in, move while setting screens or knock down defenders when posting-up. Megan would have to commit actual on-ball defending fouls to get in trouble. Certainly possible when dealing with Brown's size and strength, but you won't see Megan rack-up the cheap fouls that have plagued Kristine.

Totally agree. Gustafson plays straight up defense, which is the style most coaches want their post players to utilize. But some will consider that style as not playing defense at all.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/19 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I expect that at some point Gustafson will be taken out of her game, and once that happens Baylor should pull away.

People assume this all the time but Gustafson is the most consistent college post player the last two years.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/01/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Totally agree. Gustafson plays straight up defense, which is the style most coaches want their post players to utilize. But some will consider that style as not playing defense at all.

It is this particular technique that the Queen of the Trees claims that Gustafson does not play any defense. She just stands there like an immobile ..... tree! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/01/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

It is this particular technique that the Queen of the Trees claims that Gustafson does not play any defense. She just stands there like an immobile ..... tree! Laughing

I just think she plays HS post defense. Doesn't mean she can't learn.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 04/01/19 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WTF is Kim Mulkey wearing?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
linkster

PostPosted: 04/01/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the camera shots of the arena it looks about 30% full. The uppers look empty and same for both end courts.

A true neutral site. I wonder what Greensboro guaranteed in their bid.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/01/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WTF is Kim Mulkey wearing?

she wants to be seen.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/01/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
From the camera shots of the arena it looks about 30% full. The uppers look empty and same for both end courts.

A true neutral site. I wonder what Greensboro guaranteed in their bid.

guessing they thought Maryland or NC State would be there.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: