RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT - winners to the Elite 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/19 11:22 am    ::: WNIT - winners to the Elite 8 Reply Reply with quote

Georgetown won at Providence yesterday and awaits the winner of
Va Tech at JMU

Most of the games aren't until the 28th:
Idaho @ Arizona
Wyoming @ Pepperdine

TCU @ Arkansas
Butler @ Cinncy

Northwestern @WVU
WKU @ Ohio

Last edited by myrtle on 03/27/19 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/27/19 12:17 pm    ::: Re: WNIT - winners to the Elite 8 Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Va Tech at JMU

I am cheering for VaTech to win it all.

I think Kenny Brooks has done a great job in starting to turn the VaTech program around in the post-Hendrickson era. Beth Dunkenberger made two early NCAA Tournaments, but her team won just 9 ACC games in her final four years (and only one conference game in her last season). Dennis Wolff went 62-93 in five years, but only 17-65 in the ACC...with the best finish being 11th.

Brooks is 56–32 (.636) in three seasons and 14–26 (.350) in the ACC. His teams have been slowly improving, as recruiting has improved.

And last year, the Hokies lost the WNIT Championship game to Indiana, so it would be nice redemption for VaTech's seniors.

But Brooks is facing James Madison, the school for which he was formerly the head coach. He will face of against the Dukes and HC Sean O'Regan (who previously served as associate head coach for nine years under Brooks).

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/27/19 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Western Kentucky at Ohio game is actually on Thursday, March 28, at 7:00 P.M. It will be on ESPN3.

The Northwestern at West Virginia game is scheduled for tonight, Wednesday, March 27, at 7:00 P.M. It will be available to watch free through the WVU channel, according to WVU's website.

https://wvusports.com/watch/?Live=2613&type=Live

PostPosted: 03/27/19 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
The Western Kentucky at Ohio game is actually on Thursday, March 28, at 7:00 P.M. It will be on ESPN3.

The Northwestern at West Virginia game is scheduled for tonight, Wednesday, March 27, at 7:00 P.M. It will be available to watch free through the WVU channel, according to WVU's website.

silly me. I was going by the WNIT site...
If they have the usual WVU announcers, they are a good listen.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/19 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure I've seen NW this year. So far not impressed.

- Amanda Gorman
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/27/19 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Not sure I've seen NW this year. So far not impressed.

Big and slow. Not much outside shooting. WVU has been consistently beating them down the court.

PostPosted: 03/27/19 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NW threw on a press that slowed WV down, and it's a ballgame. 30-25 Mountaineers at the half.

PostPosted: 03/27/19 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

much more exciting finish. both teams are pretty limited - showing why they weren't in the ncaas. Uggllyy. But WVU definitely missed Ekelar.

- Amanda Gorman
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/27/19 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Northwestern moves on, 56-54, coming back from an 18-point deficit.

PostPosted: 03/28/19 10:56 am    ::: Re: WNIT - winners to the Elite 8 Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Va Tech at JMU

I am cheering for VaTech to win it all.

I think Kenny Brooks has done a great job in starting to turn the VaTech program around in the post-Hendrickson era. Beth Dunkenberger made two early NCAA Tournaments, but her team won just 9 ACC games in her final four years (and only one conference game in her last season). Dennis Wolff went 62-93 in five years, but only 17-65 in the ACC...with the best finish being 11th.

Brooks is 56–32 (.636) in three seasons and 14–26 (.350) in the ACC. His teams have been slowly improving, as recruiting has improved.

And last year, the Hokies lost the WNIT Championship game to Indiana, so it would be nice redemption for VaTech's seniors.

But Brooks is facing James Madison, the school for which he was formerly the head coach. He will face of against the Dukes and HC Sean O'Regan (who previously served as associate head coach for nine years under Brooks).

It's at the Convo Center, which is gonna be full. It's gonna be LOUD!! As an aside, Tech is bringing its pep band which is now led by the former director of the JMU pep band, who was fired in some sort of Music Department coup which wasn't well received by fans. Chad was particularly well-loved. I suspect Kenny had a hand in getting him hired at VT. So there will be a battle of the bands as well.

PostPosted: 03/28/19 11:28 am    ::: Re: WNIT - winners to the Elite 8 Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tech is bringing its pep band which is now led by the former director of the JMU pep band, who was fired in some sort of Music Department coup which wasn't well received by fans. Chad was particularly well-loved. I suspect Kenny had a hand in getting him hired at VT. So there will be a battle of the bands as well.

Good heavens, I hope that the change hasn't stopped the JMU band from playing "Start Wearing Purple". Has to be one of the best pep band songs of all time.

PostPosted: 03/28/19 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:

Best of luck Joe! Will be watching and cheering Ohio on tonight. Here's hoping they take the whole tournament! Your team has put in the sweat equity all year long!

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/28/19 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
Best of luck Joe! Will be watching and cheering Ohio on tonight. Here's hoping they take the whole tournament! Your team has put in the sweat equity all year long!

Thanks, shadow! It's been great having three extra home games, and I'm hoping for more!

PostPosted: 03/28/19 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final Ohio 68, Western Kentucky 60. Quicks against size, and tonight quicks won. Ohio moves on to the final 8 at Northwestern on Saturday.

PostPosted: 03/28/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TCU takes down Arky.....thought the Razorbacks might pull this one off.

PostPosted: 03/28/19 10:06 pm    ::: Re: WNIT - winners to the Elite 8 Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Tech is bringing its pep band which is now led by the former director of the JMU pep band, who was fired in some sort of Music Department coup which wasn't well received by fans. Chad was particularly well-loved. I suspect Kenny had a hand in getting him hired at VT. So there will be a battle of the bands as well.

Good heavens, I hope that the change hasn't stopped the JMU band from playing "Start Wearing Purple". Has to be one of the best pep band songs of all time.
o

Not in the least! And so, with a pretty full house, mostly JMU fans but a decent sized group bused in from Blacksburg, *and* their pep band, the game tipped off. I was quite surprised at first, though I probably shouldn’t have been, that JMU is every bit as good as this P5 team...and likely more than a few others, though not of course the top level ones. It was interesting watching the two coaches watch each other, each trying to figure out what the other would do next...teacher against pupil, a real chess match. In the end it was the pupil’s team that won, 70-66. JMU will go on to play Georgetown in the quarterfinals, a team they beat early in the season. VT will go home to try to figure it all out.

Nothing against VT, though. They’re an up and coming team with some excellent players. The youngest Mabrey has the makings of a fine little point guard, and Kenny has built a good chemistry among them. You see things differently in person than watching them on TV. They will be getting better.

PostPosted: 03/29/19 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not a fan of school marching bands at basketball games. Too much noise for my taste.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/29/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pep band way smaller. Different music. Different style. Sorry you don't like it. We do. Bring earplugs. Thank u. Next.

PostPosted: 03/30/19 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Pep band way smaller. Different music. Different style. Sorry you don't like it. We do. Bring earplugs. Thank u. Next.

They are smaller, but there is still is too much brass and percussion for my taste. But it is minimized by sitting on the opposite side of the arena or up in the rafters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: