RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Holly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only way for Lady Vols to change culture is to change coaches

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2019/03/26/tennessee-lady-vols-basketball-holly-warlick/3264399002/

Quote:
You talk about changing a program’s culture in your first season, not your seventh

PostPosted: 03/26/19 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possibly OT, possibly not--last night I watched as much of the Missouri State-Iowa State game as I could (I had to watch on small screen due to ESPN's insistence on showing other games in my area). Not only was I interested in the outcome of the game, but in the way Kellie Harper handled her team.She was amazing! Very cool under pressure, seemed to be thinking one step ahead all the time, and her demeanor on the sidelines...well, all she was missing was the stare! I don't think I've seen any of Pat's proteges coach more like Pat. Ever.
Tennessee could do a lot worse. And Missouri State would always have Jackie Stiles.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee needs to get off the "Alumni" as HC bandwagon and get out there and spend some bucks for a seasoned coach .

PostPosted: 03/26/19 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Possibly OT, possibly not--last night I watched as much of the Missouri State-Iowa State game as I could (I had to watch on small screen due to ESPN's insistence on showing other games in my area). Not only was I interested in the outcome of the game, but in the way Kellie Harper handled her team.She was amazing! Very cool under pressure, seemed to be thinking one step ahead all the time, and her demeanor on the sidelines...well, all she was missing was the stare! I don't think I've seen any of Pat's proteges coach more like Pat. Ever.
Tennessee could do a lot worse. And Missouri State would always have Jackie Stiles.

I watched all of that game as well, and I concur that Kelly seem to have the right demeanor and had coached her team well.

It was mildly annoying that ESPN chose to pick the one blowout to show with several other close game options, but I guess I should feel fortunate that my cable provider (Xfinity) gave me the option to watch ESPN 3 games on my main TV.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/26/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Tennessee needs to get off the "Alumni" as HC bandwagon and get out there and spend some bucks for a seasoned coach .

What is seasoned to you?

I'm not saying that Kellie Harper should necessarily get the job should it become available but she's coached at Western Carolina, North Carolina State and Missouri State as a head coach. She's certainly got the seasoned part, I'd think.

Do you mean more successful in won-loss record?
stever

PostPosted: 03/26/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're loading up the big orange money truck, and pointing it at Louisville, may be a week or more yet.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/26/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
They're loading up the big orange money truck, and pointing it at Louisville, may be a week or more yet.

Please gods, no.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/genehenley3/status/1110609751505805312

Quote:
According to a source, Louisville is prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee at the end of the season.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

What is seasoned to you?

I'm not saying that Kellie Harper should necessarily get the job should it become available but she's coached at Western Carolina, North Carolina State and Missouri State as a head coach. She's certainly got the seasoned part, I'd think.

I am usually not a fan of hiring someone just because they are an Alum, but Harper is actually a really experience, attractive candidate who just happens to be one of the best point guard in Tennessee's history. I think she'd flourish in Knoxville.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

A. Define "seasoned".
B. Give some examples.
C. Tell me how many of those you think would realistically leave the positions they're in right now.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
According to a source, Louisville is prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee at the end of the season.

(Best response to that tweet.......Laughing Laughing
Quote:

Any Tennessee fan who cites an unnamed source is lying through his tooth.

Last edited by Howee on 03/26/19 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

What is seasoned to you?

I am usually not a fan of hiring someone just because they are an Alum, but Harper is actually a really experience, attractive candidate who just happens to be one of the best point guard in Tennessee's history. I think she'd flourish in Knoxville.

Maybe, but her first shot at a P5 job didn't go that well

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

What is seasoned to you?

How many years ago was that? I think she's had a chance to right the ship and figure out what she did wrong. Also, anyone who was the first successor to Kay Yow and wasn't the anointed one would have had problems.

If Tennessee doesn't take her, Auburn almost certainly will the next time that spot opens up. You can just about bank on it.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

A few cautionary notes...

--- Gene Henley is the Tennessee athletics beat writer for the Times Free Press. This is very different than an ESPN reporter or a Louisville Courier Journal reporter presenting this news/scoop.

--- Jeff Walz is under contract through 2024-2025, per the contract extension he signed after the 2017-2018 season. The contract extension he signed included an extension of the original deal by three years, plus a $50,000 raise.

--- Walz's current contract -- before the extension -- runs through 2022 and pays him $1.15 million annually.

--- Walz's contract with Louisville has a buyout provision, which was part of last year's contract negotiations.

A few additional notes...

--- Jeff Walz is from Fort Thomas, Kentucky.
--- Walz attended Highlands High School in Fort Thomas, Kentucky.
--- Walz completed his undergraduate studies at Northern Kentucky (basketball scholarship.
--- Walz has a master's degree from Western Kentucky.

Irrespective of whether Walz takes the job or whether Gene Henley is accurate, these are points to consider, at this point in time.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/26/19 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

What is seasoned to you?

How many years ago was that? I think she's had a chance to right the ship and figure out what she did wrong. Also, anyone who was the first successor to Kay Yow and wasn't the anointed one would have had problems.

If Tennessee doesn't take her, Auburn almost certainly will the next time that spot opens up. You can just about bank on it.

Harper is super tempting. I can see her as a successful SEC coach in the future. Missouri State is a well-coached team. Period. ADs will take notice and in Harper you now have an experienced head coach that’s still relatively young.

NC State tenure was a bit complicated but it wasn’t due to lack of ability. First, it wasn’t that bad and you have to consider there were recruiting challenges and disadvantages with such a young coach, not to mention longtime supporters who wanted Stephanie Glance to get the job.

As for the current situation in Knoxville you can’t help but like the idea and gently ushering Warlick into an administration job. Very different situations but Ceal Barry has had a nice post coaching career at Colorado. Marsha Sharp is happy at Texas Tech. Jody was still active in the UT administration in Austin. Holly can still love Tennessee and get paid to do it, just not on the sidelines.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice post, PRballer, and all very true. I wonder if the scenario might go something like this...Phil and Holly have a long talk, after which Holly decides to "retire" from coaching to take some sort of administrative job, at which she excels and is very happy. The end.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

A few cautionary notes...

--- Gene Henley is the Tennessee athletics beat writer for the Times Free Press. This is very different than an ESPN reporter or a Louisville Courier Journal reporter presenting this news/scoop.

--- Jeff Walz is under contract through 2024-2025, per the contract extension he signed after the 2017-2018 season. The contract extension he signed included an extension of the original deal by three years, plus a $50,000 raise.

--- Walz's current contract -- before the extension -- runs through 2022 and pays him $1.15 million annually.

--- Walz's contract with Louisville has a buyout provision, which was part of last year's contract negotiations.

A few additional notes...

--- Jeff Walz is from Fort Thomas, Kentucky.
--- Walz attended Highlands High School in Fort Thomas, Kentucky.
--- Walz completed his undergraduate studies at Northern Kentucky (basketball scholarship.
--- Walz has a master's degree from Western Kentucky.

Irrespective of whether Walz takes the job or whether Gene Henley is accurate, these are points to consider, at this point in time.

I've read in multiple places that Walz is currently making ~$1.5M/year with incentives and his last contract extension runs through 2025. I've also heard $1.5M mentioned as his buyout, although that figure seems more nebulous.

Contrast that with Harper's contract at ~$260K/yr through 2022 and buyout undiscoverable, and the concept, which to me is patently ridiculous but which appears to be held by a lot of Tenn fans, that it's mandatory to hire a LVFL, preferably female, and I don't see Walz coming to Knoxville.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/26/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

What is seasoned to you?

Bill Belichick's first NFL head coaching job was a freaking shitshow and now he's recognized as the best coach in the game and perhaps ever. So failing first time isn't necessarily an indicator of total overall career.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/19 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basing the hire on money is a sure fire way to continue their slide into irrelevance.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Basing the hire on money is a sure fire way to continue their slide into irrelevance.

I don't disagree with that, but the AD bean counters will do the math.

Hypothetically...

Walz' buyout = $1.5M. Tenn has to pay him $1.8M/yr to entice him away from Louisville.
Harper's buyout = $300K. She can be enticed for $400K/yr.

Cost for a 5-year contract...
Walz... $10.5M
Harper... $2.3M

What they need to be looking at are the salaries of Staley, Schaefer, and Mitchell, whose SEC teams all made it out of the first round, and who are all making around $1.5M/yr, and the fact that CPS was at $2M/yr. You have to pay to play, at least into the Final Four.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hypothetically...

Walz' buyout = $1.5M. Tenn has to pay him $1.8M/yr to entice him away from Louisville.

Walz... $10.5M
Harper... $2.3M

What they need to be looking at are the salaries of Staley, Schaefer, and Mitchell, whose SEC teams all made it out of the first round, and who are all making around $1.5M/yr, and the fact that CPS was at $2M/yr. You have to pay to play, at least into the Final Four.

I don't think you get any of those guys to leave where they're at. They're pretty much happier than hogs in slop. Staley in particular wouldn't be a good fit in Knoxville. Mitchell is a very weak maybe since he has ties to the Lady Vols, having been a GA for Pat.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hypothetically...

Walz... $10.5M
Harper... $2.3M

I don't think you get any of those guys to leave where they're at. They're pretty much happier than hogs in slop. Staley in particular wouldn't be a good fit in Knoxville. Mitchell is a very weak maybe since he has ties to the Lady Vols, having been a GA for Pat.

What FrozenLVFan is saying is that if you expect to be at the top of the conference, you need to pay your coach a competitive salary.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly. Thank you.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/19 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mainly judge coaches on their ability to recruit and their technical sophistication in teaching team offense and defense. I haven't seen enough of Missouri State yet to judge Harper's technical expertise. I'm also not sure how good a P5 recruiter she'd be, although UTK's reputation sort of self-recruits itself. If Harper is very good with X's and O's -- which is what UTK desperately needs now, and what they needed even in Summitt's late career -- and if she's an above average recruiter, I think she'd be a very attractive hire for UTK.

Walz, of course, has proven all the above many times over in his illustrious career as an assistant and head coach. Maybe everyone has a price, but I think it would be difficult for Walz to leave the great program he's personally built in his home state (as Cam points out), including his great arena, fan base, recruiting base and long-time conference. Louisville would be foolish to let him go by not matching another school's offer.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/19 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I follow Missouri State, and I can tell you with a pretty good degree of certainty that Kellie recruits well. Of necessity for a mid, her recruitment is regional, although she’s had players come from as far as Minnesota, but for the most part they come from Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. She’s snatched all-State players right out from under the nose of Drake and possibly Iowa and Arkansas, among others. Does well with player development too. If she stays, that honking big center that came off the bench last night will very likely turn from an enthusiastic player to a pretty darn good one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: