RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#6 UCLA @ #3 Maryland - 3/25/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Very happy right now! Great game, Terps! Now who's the opponent my Bruins are gonna have to play in Albany? Are they good? Is it a good team? Like, is their coach okay?

Smile

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Very happy right now! Great game, Terps! Now who's the opponent my Bruins are gonna have to play in Albany? Are they good? Is it a good team? Like, is their coach okay?

Just an overhyped mid-major Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woo Hoo! So happy for my Bruins. Maryland was tough and they deserve to be in the Sweet Sixteen as well. Just love how tough the team is, especially at the end of the game. They don't get rattled. That tough start made these ladies mentally tough.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
congrats Pat. Your team just did an awesome job on the road. GL at Albany. I think you have a shot at it!

Ahem, Pat is not the only one who claims UCLA as their team. Wink

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

congrats Daniel. Your team was awesome and I hope they do well going forward, against that mid-major coming up...and until they play some trees.

- Amanda Gorman
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
congrats Daniel. Your team was awesome and I hope they do well going forward, against that mid-major coming up...and until they play some trees.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You're hilarious. And thanks for the shout out Wink

Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

Nahh....you GOT next. Razz Laughing

myrtle wrote:
A close game will always favor the home team if it's still this close in the last couple of minutes...crowd noise and refs tend to lean that way.

Silly goose! That's the magic of March....just ask The Jackrabbits.

Great game of determination. I didn't get to see all of it, but what I DID see was a few tired kids....hopefully, all will rest well for the next round. PAC 12 representing well--nice standard The Bruins set here!

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome. Isn't this the third time in four years that the Terps got upset by a Pac-12 team?

tfan

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shakira Austin for Maryland is very athletic/graceful for her height. If she can develop a consistent outside shot and/or some low post skills, she will be really good. Mikesell was freshman of the year, but I am not impressed with her. Seems like your average B10 guard.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/25/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And yet another east coast regional with 2 PAC12 teams. Shocked

Glad Frese lost, again. Losing to UCLA will be less painful. Of the PAC12 teams, I don't mind them at all.

Smile

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/25/19 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Glad Frese lost, again. Losing to UCLA will be less painful. Of the PAC12 teams, I don't mind them at all.

Smile

I imagine that UConn will be double-digit favorites next week. And they'll deserve to be! But I'll definitely be watching to see if my Bruins (and Daniel's Bruins) can pull off the improbable.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 03/26/19 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations UCLA! I was able to watch some of the game on my phone while working, as my officemate was out.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 03/26/19 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

I imagine that UConn will be double-digit favorites next week. And they'll deserve to be! But I'll definitely be watching to see if my Bruins (and Daniel's Bruins) can pull off the improbable.

Will be cheering with u guys! 💙💛🐻💙💛🐻

PostPosted: 03/26/19 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

It would be foolhardy to make UConn a double-digit favorite, imo.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 03/26/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shakira Austin for Maryland is very athletic/graceful for her height. If she can develop a consistent outside shot and/or some low post skills, she will be really good. Mikesell was freshman of the year, but I am not impressed with her. Seems like your average B10 guard.

Coach Frese is expecting Austin to be a #1 pick for the WNBA in 2022.

This is the worst game I have seen Mikesell have. She is usually money from the 3, and reads the floor well. I expect her to be a top pick in 2022 as well.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

Foolhardy? Perhaps, but you tell me your line and maybe I'll risk a peso or two. Massey has the line right at 10. What's yours?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

Foolhardy? Perhaps, but you tell me your line and maybe I'll risk a peso or two. Massey has the line right at 10. What's yours?

Massey had UCLA winning by 6 vs Tennessee and by one against Maryland, so they've been beating the odds a bit. It could be closer.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

My link to Massey only shows the MS ST game. Have you got a link?

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
linkster wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

Doh- nevermind, I found the listing.

He's got the same thought as me.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/26/19 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
linkster wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

If the actual line was 5 then 10 would be foolhardy, but you and I know that these lines do a better job than both you and I of prediction. If you rate UConn on their last game then I see your point but I see UCLA at Albany?

I like to pick these games on other things. One of my favorite angles is to pick against a team that celebrated their last win like it was Christmas and they got the Benz. UCLA is coming off one of if not their best game of the year, on the road, as an underdog, while UConn is coming off maybe their worst home game. ESPN showed Close dancing with her team in the locker room and the adrenaline was flowing. That game was their apex. Almost always foreshadows a bounce game right ahead.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/26/19 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
UCLA is coming off one of if not their best game of the year, on the road, as an underdog...

I mean, yes and no. It was certainly a good game for the Bruins in a lot of ways, but UCLA shot just 36.3% yesterday (which is shy of their 41.7% average), and UCLA allowed Maryland to shoot 47.1% yesterday (as compared to the 41.7% average that UCLA typically allows). UCLA only out rebounded Maryland by 4 boards (which is below UCLA's average rebounding margin), and only 41% of UCLA's buckets were off assists (typically 51% of UCLA's buckets are assisted).

UCLA can play better than it did against Maryland, and it has, in the past.

That said, I understand your broader point: UCLA celebrated its win in College Park, and such parties (in your observation) typically precede letdowns. And you may be right! UCLA may lay a giant egg in Albany! But if it does, I expect that'll have much more to do with UConn's efforts on Friday night than with UCLA's happiness four evenings prior. I'd also mention, fwiw (maybe not much), that the Bruins partied just as hard in their locker room on the evening of March 19th, 2018, after beating Creighton to earn their trip to the 2018 Sweet 16... and that celebration did indeed include a Coach Close victory dance. That dance just didn't happen to go viral, is all. Anyway, 4 days after that big celebration, UCLA beat 2-seed Texas, 84-75, in Kansas City, MO. So I dunno, it's at least theoretically possible for a happy team to continue to be happy for an additional game.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/26/19 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
UCLA can play better than it did against Maryland, and it has, in the past.

And: this ain't Close's first rodeo. I see her having the foresight to have her club mentally prepped. I'd agree....in the very real possibility UConn wins, it'll be for more Real factors.

Go Bruins! Cool

PostPosted: 03/26/19 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
linkster wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Smile

If the actual line was 5 then 10 would be foolhardy, but you and I know that these lines do a better job than both you and I of prediction. If you rate UConn on their last game then I see your point but I see UCLA at Albany?

I like to pick these games on other things. One of my favorite angles is to pick against a team that celebrated their last win like it was Christmas and they got the Benz. UCLA is coming off one of if not their best game of the year, on the road, as an underdog, while UConn is coming off maybe their worst home game. ESPN showed Close dancing with her team in the locker room and the adrenaline was flowing. That game was their apex. Almost always foreshadows a bounce game right ahead.

"Foolhardy" perhaps a bit overstated. I'm aware of your fondness of the bump, and hopefully both teams experience one Fri- Bruins a bump down, Huskies a bump up.

To psp and howee- Last night's result comes down to the simplest of things, imo- the Terps shooting: 1-13 from 3 and they left 10 pts on the FT line. No need to look further.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/26/19 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
To psp and howee- Last night's result comes down to the simplest of things, imo- the Terps shooting: 1-13 from 3 and they left 10 pts on the FT line. No need to look further.

As stated earlier:
Howee wrote:
....in the very real possibility UConn wins, it'll be for more Real factors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: