RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Player of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the POY this season?
Sabrina Ionescu
30%
 30%  [ 26 ]
Alanna Smith
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Teaira McCowan
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Napheesa Collier
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Arike Ogunbowale
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Megan Gustafson
34%
 34%  [ 30 ]
Asia Durr
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Kalani Brown
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 86

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/19 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
She has very little help. The other players on that team are no better than what we saw every night in the SoCon.

Which of course contributes to her numbers (not her fg%). That said, I have absolutely no problem w/ her being named POY.

That’s why I call her the post version of Plum. She’s the key focus of the defense, and they still can’t stop her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who's #1?

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/25/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have two things to say:

1. I'm 100% fine with Gustafson being National POY. She is a fantastic player, she is the complete reason for her teams success, and her numbers are just ridiculous.
2. For all the newbies, youngins, and people who forgot.....this argument can't hold a candle to the POY race in 2004 between DT, Beard, and Sabrina's triple-double godmother, Nichole Powell, from the old ESPN board.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/25/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

1. I'm 100% fine with Gustafson being National POY. She is a fantastic player, she is the complete reason for her teams success, and her numbers are just ridiculous.
2. For all the newbies, youngins, and people who forgot.....this argument can't hold a candle to the POY race in 2004 between DT, Beard, and Sabrina's triple-double godmother, Nichole Powell, from the old ESPN board.

Fondly remembered. Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/26/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I still can't wrap my head around the fact there people thought Powell was better than Whalen. I couldn't then and I never will.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/26/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I still can't wrap my head around the fact there people thought Powell was better than Whalen. I couldn't then and I never will.

Didn't Whalen have an injury that kept her out of some games IIRC? Also, a lot of people didn't get to see her on a national stage until the NCAAs that year, same with McCarville. I remember watching so many games on CBS and ESPN that year, but you could ask me who Lindsey Whalen was and I couldn't tell you. That's not in a bad way either, she just didn't have a lot of exposure. Powell, on the other hand, was a great college player and Stanford was on some more broadcasts throughout her career.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/27/19 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:

YESSSSSSS. 15 years later and more controversy comes up.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/27/19 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I dunno.....Nicole Powell certainly had her Day/Era in The Sun, too. I mean, think of kids like Nykesha Sales. Or Chamique Holdsclaw. Or Becky Hammon. Or Taj. SOME were God's Gift to the game at the collegiate level, some only became God's Gift later in their pro careers, with remarkable longevity. VERY few could be both.

PostPosted: 03/27/19 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Didn't Whalen have an injury that kept her out of some games IIRC? Also, a lot of people didn't get to see her on a national stage until the NCAAs that year, same with McCarville. I remember watching so many games on CBS and ESPN that year, but you could ask me who Lindsey Whalen was and I couldn't tell you. That's not in a bad way either, she just didn't have a lot of exposure. Powell, on the other hand, was a great college player and Stanford was on some more broadcasts throughout her career.

I believe she broke her wrist, which is why they were #7 seed.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/27/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2019 Wade Trophy Finalists
(Winner named April 4)
Asia Durr
Megan Gustafson
Sabrina Ionescu
Teaira McCowan

Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gustafson named AP Player of the Year

Voting breakdown
Gustafson - 15
Ionescu - 7
Collier - 3
Durr - 2
McCowan - 1

Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCowan named WBCA Defensive Player of the Year

Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/19 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu brings home the Wade Trophy.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rhyne Howard is the WBCA National Freshman of the Year

Shades

PostPosted: 04/12/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu is awarded the Wooden.

Looks like she’s won more of the Top 5 POY awards.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=26509584&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: