RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Arizona St @ #4 Miami - 3/24/19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/19 9:56 pm    ::: #5 Arizona St @ #4 Miami - 3/24/19 Reply Reply with quote

Portland Region Second Round
Coral Gables, FL - 7:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2 (Clay Matvick, Julianne Viani)

Stream:
http://www.espn.com/watch?id=3474091&_slug_=ncaa-womens-basketball-championship-presented-by-capital-one&rb=true (tvpli)

Audio:
https://www.wvum.org/web-player

Live stats:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/group/100/date/20190324

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/24/19 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so happy they have this on ESPN2 so we can watch a good game rather than a UConn blowout.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, they seem to have relaxed their standards for what constitutes excessive elbows above the shoulder because that one certainly would have been called earlier in the season.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and these announcers are pretty much full of sh*t.

I usually like Viani ok but ...

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so happy they have this on ESPN2 so we can watch a good game rather than a UConn blowout.

I'd be interested in knowing how many are watching this game vs. UConn/Buffalo.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well, they seem to have relaxed their standards for what constitutes excessive elbows above the shoulder because that one certainly would have been called earlier in the season.

I didn't realize that 'being a basketball play' would excuse an elbow to the face.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mompremier needs to do that Miken drill.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't decide which team I want to win. I like them both.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do they not know that this is typical for CTT? The wholesale subs?

linkster

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I didn't realize that 'being a basketball play' would excuse an elbow to the face.

Same thing happened in some game yesterday - elbows above the shoulder and extended and hit the nose on a clearing move. Common foul.
Wasn't there an effort to reduce physicality?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like both teams too. I do have to laugh a little about Viani and friend not seeming to know how ASU operates. And I'm guessing Miami hasn't faced a team that defends quite like ASU. We'll see if they adjust.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a nice pass!!!

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASU goes thru a typical long spell of being unable to put the ball in the basket.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Same thing happened in some game yesterday - elbows above the shoulder and extended and hit the nose on a clearing move. Common foul.

I didn't see today's play, but the play yesterday was, in my opinion, absolutely the right call. A taller player is making herself wide by putting both arms outstretched at (her) shoulder height. Her elbow comes into contact with the defender's face (and her nose was bloodied). Common foul - yes, anything more, no. (I wish I could remember which team, but I do remember the player that was fouled making a 3 from the corner and then stopping to pick up the tissues that had been stuffed up her nose to stop the bleeding.) I have cringed every time I see this called as an upgraded foul. It is an appropriate basketball play, it is not an elbow being thrown out in an uncontrolled way. Someone can get hurt but if a post player can't spread herself to receive a pass that changes low post play.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I didn't see today's play, but the play yesterday was, in my opinion, absolutely the right call. A taller player is making herself wide by putting both arms outstretched at (her) shoulder height. Her elbow comes into contact with the defender's face (and her nose was bloodied). Common foul - yes, anything more, no. (I wish I could remember which team, but I do remember the player that was fouled making a 3 from the corner and then stopping to pick up the tissues that had been stuffed up her nose to stop the bleeding.) I have cringed every time I see this called as an upgraded foul. It is an appropriate basketball play, it is not an elbow being thrown out in an uncontrolled way. Someone can get hurt but if a post player can't spread herself to receive a pass that changes low post play.

I think the problem is consistency. The reffing simply hasn't been consistent. And the one today was even more egregious than the one yesterday, altho I thought the one yesterday was more intentional. She knew where the other girl's head was and took two swipes at it - the second one making better contact.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
myrtle wrote:

It was a Marquette player, I think.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Charlie sometimes destroys any momentum with her line changes. It's like in that last play, Ekmark makes a three then gets yanked. I've seen this repeatedly.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Miami's guards are getting free access to the center of the lane...repeatedly.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think Charlie sometimes destroys any momentum with her line changes. It's like in that last play, Ekmark makes a three then gets yanked. I've seen this repeatedly.

I would think it also must effect recruiting. You know that no matter how good you are, you aren't gonna play more than 25 minutes...so a real superstar just won't go there.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mompremier rushed it the last couple of times she's tried to shoot.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olinga is stupid!

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, pull it out!!!!

That's painful.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want overtime!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She actually had an inbounds pass early and passed it up.

So many strange endings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: