RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#7 Missouri @ #2 Iowa - 3/24/19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/19 9:02 pm    ::: #7 Missouri @ #2 Iowa - 3/24/19 Reply Reply with quote

Greensboro Region Second Round
Iowa City, IA - 2:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2 (John Brickley, Christy Winters-Scott)

Stream:
http://www.espn.com/watch?bucketId=15641&id=875703fe-78d7-496b-8100-e23090182e31&rb=true (tvpli)

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/ncaa/site.php?sid=wbb1

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/group/100/date/20190324

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/24/19 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good..... ESPN2 main whipped over to cover this game. Smile

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this game is definitely an upset watch.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gustafson got an early foul leading with the arm.

Last edited by Shades on 03/24/19 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roundtree with the half-court buzzer-beater to finish the quarter.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=26349363&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

20-16 Mizz end of first

Last edited by Shades on 03/24/19 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cunningham picks up her third foul with a little over 2:00 remaining in the first half. Robin Pingeton is not Brian Agler, so she comes out.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cunningham not being very disciplined on defense today. Picks up her third foul in the first half.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Roundtree with the half-court buzzer-beater to finish the quarter.

20-16 Mizz end of first

Yeah, cuz Iowa shot too early. This happens too much, imo.

Apparently Cunningham thinks whacking the shooter in the face isn't a foul.

Btw, who says she so smart? Laughing

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict Sophie will foul out early to midway through the 4Q.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say there's not enough to say she didn't beat the shot clock.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They let the clock run too long when it was smacked out of bounds on the Iowa baseline.

It should have stopped around 38.4, but it didn't stop until 37 seconds. That might have given Iowa ~4 seconds instead of 2.2 seconds.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go home, Sophie. We’ve seen enough.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hats off to a great career by Sophie. I may not have liked her but i respect her hard work.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(Mostly) interesting game. I like both teams, but had my (pretend) money on Iowa.

I took advantage of this matchup to really analyze something that bothers me in wbb, with the athleticism that is present. In the first half, I was watching Porter on Gustafson. I picked one particular shot--a 7 footer, maybe--that Megan sank, despite Sierra's *contesting* of it.

I hit pause, and replayed it in slo-mo several times to verify what I thought I was seeing: PORTER'S FEET NEVER LEFT THE FLOOR, yet her fingers were an inch from the ball. In other words, you have 2 equal-sized centers, and the defensive player could have easily blocked a score IF SHE'D HAVE JUST GIVEN A 5 INCH VERTICAL LEAP. It probably happened 8 more times in the game. Ruth Hebard is obvious in that way, too, and I imagine a whole bunch of others: height is a great advantage on defense down low, BUT AN EFFORT TO LEAP VERTICALLY, a la a volleyball blocker at the net, could be even more effective. Must not be coached much these days. Oh, well. My 2 cents for the day. Keep the change.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(Mostly) interesting game. I like both teams, but had my (pretend) money on Iowa.

I took advantage of this matchup to really analyze something that bothers me in wbb, with the athleticism that is present. In the first half, I was watching Porter on Gustafson. I picked one particular shot--a 7 footer, maybe--that Megan sank, despite Sierra's *contesting* of it.

I hit pause, and replayed it in slo-mo several times to verify what I thought I was seeing: PORTER'S FEET NEVER LEFT THE FLOOR, yet her fingers were an inch from the ball. In other words, you have 2 equal-sized centers, and the defensive player could have easily blocked a score IF SHE'D HAVE JUST GIVEN A 5 INCH VERTICAL LEAP. It probably happened 8 more times in the game. Ruth Hebard is obvious in that way, too, and I imagine a whole bunch of others: height is a great advantage on defense down low, BUT AN EFFORT TO LEAP VERTICALLY, a la a volleyball blocker at the net, could be even more effective. Must not be coached much these days. Oh, well. My 2 cents for the day. Keep the change.

Porter has had like a gazillion knee surgeries. It sounds as if it is a miracle that she can run let alone jump.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/19 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Howee wrote:

Porter has had like a gazillion knee surgeries. It sounds as if it is a miracle that she can run let alone jump.

She'll be having both knees replaced by the time she's 40.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Howee wrote:

Porter and her siblings have had so much bad luck with injuries.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/23/jontay-porter-injury-missouri-tears-acl-out-season-michael-porter-brother

Howee

PostPosted: 03/24/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Howee wrote:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/03/23/jontay-porter-injury-missouri-tears-acl-out-season-michael-porter-brother

That's undoubtedly a huge factor for the kid....and kudos to her for making the comeback. But I see that in most post players....the unwillingness to leap vertically to block.

I DID see just that very thing tonight when shorty Jaelyn Penn (IN) blocked Sabrina (OR) twice on a jump shot. Shorter than her but made the block anyways. That girl had hops, and made it count.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Howee wrote:

That makes me think there's something genetic going on...probably a similar structural anomaly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: