RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#11 Tennessee vs #6 UCLA - 3/23/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/23/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
what was the story with UCLA's bench. Did they just not have more available players?

UCLA's top guard off the bench, Ahlana Smith, was not in uniform today, for some reason. Don't know if she's injured or what. She was on the bench, in street clothes.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/19 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evina Westbrook thinks changes need to be made to the program off the court, specifically in the LadyVols coaching staff.

https://twitter.com/JordanCrammer/status/1109553159670820869

PostPosted: 03/23/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Evina Westbrook thinks changes need to be made to the program off the court, specifically in the LadyVols coaching staff.

It was extremely unprofessional o9f the reporter to even ASK Evina the question. It was even MORE unprofessional of her to tweet the video. She should be fired for putting Evina in this position.

PostPosted: 03/23/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

It was extremely unprofessional o9f the reporter to even ASK Evina the question. It was even MORE unprofessional of her to tweet the video. She should be fired for putting Evina in this position.

From what i hear most likely evina wont even be a LV next year so i doubt she even cares at this point. Sad year.

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she doesn't want to be there, it's better that she isn't.

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Westbrook the one who was coughing up a bunch of unforced turnovers in this game?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many years did it take to wreck a program?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A reporter should be fired for asking a pertinent question? We need more reporters who aren't simply lackeys for the team.
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Dean was terrible in the 2nd half. She showed no leadership qualities at all. All Dean did was dribble and pass the ball around the perimeter. She was hesitant to shoot and refused to drive/attack on offense...The UCLA coach was also bad in the 2nd half. She did nothing to counter Tennessee's zone defense.

The zone can trip them up sometimes. There were shots that UCLA usually makes, especially by Onyewere who can shoot from midrange, but that wasn't there today. Usually, UCLA has played far better in the zone than what we saw today. Perhaps tourney jitters.

Fact of the matter is that despite not playing its best game, UCLA still found a way to win. Obviously, the team and coach weren't that 'bad.'

Last edited by fancy_daniel on 03/23/19 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

The reporter was doing their job. There are some issues with this program. Are we going to gloss over it? Let's not pretend that this program is okay.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A reporter should be fired for asking a pertinent question? We need more reporters who aren't simply lackeys for the team.

Lackeys like the Waterbury paper's UConn beat reporter, who in today's column wrote of Collier:

-Despite establishing herself as the best player in the country throughout this season, somehow the Naismith committee saw fit to slight her. -

you mean that kind of lackey?

zune69

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp, can't use Diamond DeShields as the scapegoat anymore.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Check your Twitter feed, Glenn. If you follow all the women's basketball feeds, you will see what I mean and why. When another journalist says it's unprofessional, I'm inclined to go along.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Check your Twitter feed, Glenn. If you follow all the women's basketball feeds, you will see what I mean and why. When another journalist says it's unprofessional, I'm inclined to go along.

STB, I'm not on Twitter (or Facebook) and don't have any Twitter feeds, whatever they are. If you say someone on Twitter says that question was unprofessional, I believe you. I further believe people on Twitter say a lot of things, many of which I wouldn't agree with, including this matter. I'd agree it's unusual to ask a player about whether a coach is going to stay, but the almost universal condemnation of Holly Warlick, among LV fans and elsewhere, is not the usual situation. Westbrook could have not commented, but what she said was nearly as innocuous: "I don't know."
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, you can google Twitter online without being on it and read tweets. Said journalist tweeted it to one of the WBB journalists I most respect, womenshoopsworld (@hoopism) who told her flat out that it was unprofessional. I was pretty shocked myself. Said journalist also told the reporter if she ever tweeted her anything like that again she'd be blocked.

I think to talk to a 19 year old kid immediately after she just lost a big game and is maybe in a state of shock over it, and take what she says as gospel and spread it all over creation, is pretty unprofessional. Reporters should give the kids a chance to cool down. But in this day of instant gratification nobody ever thinks of that.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@hoopism didn't have any qualms about retweeting it

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maria Taylor's comment - Ouch!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone see the espn studio blurb on the subject after the Mich-Lou game?

Bottom line- Yo worker bee (Westbrook), stay in your lane, blinders on and do your job. Let those smarter than you (Management) deal with labor issues.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue of Hoopism also admits she's a Tennessee fanatic and has gone after Geno on a number of occasions.

Sometimes, given their posting history, you just have to let things slide because some people will just never even listen, even when you put every fact in front of them.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A respectful player would say “I don’t know” or “I have no comments on that” when a reporter, who has every right to ask whatever questions they want to ask because they’re um, reporters, about things that need to change in the program. I don’t fault the reporter at all and honestly, neither should anyone else. Westbrooke was not respectful with her answers, which says a lot about her. She’s young. She’ll learn the ways of life someday.

In my opinion, Warlock had enough time to turn things around since she’s been in charge. She been pretty terrible even with having a lot to live up to. The Lady Vols have been hard to watch for a few years now and its not going to get any better next year, or the year after. If anyone cares, they should completely wipe out the entire coaching staff now and search for a new staff that can take this program into the current era. I’m a Uconn fan first and foremost but it also saddens me to see when legendary programs fall off cliffs. It’ll probably happen to Uconn eventually too. All great teams/programs eventually die off.

That said, I doubt Uconn wins anymore National Championships in the near future. The shitty conference they’re stuck in is starting to catch up to them. Sure, kids still want to learn and be coached by the best, and there is no one even close to the coaching level that is Auriemma past and present but kids also want to play a season full of competitive games. The AAC, aside from Uconn is a complete roll over.

Westbrooke, even though young, is not a person I’d ever want on my team, if I had a team. Her comments have completely turned me off.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbrook is an interesting item

She was heavily recruited to the end by Stanford, Notre Dame and UConn, among others. By succesful coaches who demand discipline and who constantly emphasize how they recruit players who "fit" their system and program and team.

Obviously these coaches believed Westbrook was coachable. So, were these coaches all wrong? Or if she had gone to one of those programs where she was taught fundamentals and teamwork and organization and discipline, and was surrounded by other smart disciplined players, rather than to Tennessee where she has been coached by Warlick and surrounded by knuckleheads, would she be an entirely different player on and off the court today?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
That said, I doubt Uconn wins anymore National Championships in the near future.

Yikes, I sure don't think that. They could easily win this year. They could win next year. They could win any year that Geno is there.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/24/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why? That's her job.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/24/19 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Sue of Hoopism also admits she's a Tennessee fanatic and has gone after Geno on a number of occasions.

Sometimes, given their posting history, you just have to let things slide because some people will just never even listen, even when you put every fact in front of them.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Hoopism is a blog not a news outlet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: