RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Candice Wiggins, come on down

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:20 am    ::: Candice Wiggins, come on down Reply Reply with quote

The former W player appeared on The Price is Right today

PostPosted: 03/13/19 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did she win anything?

PostPosted: 03/13/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Did she win anything?

Perhaps she won a guarantee of heterosexuality, for any future professional basketball endeavors. Wink

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/13/19 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Did she win anything?

Perhaps she won a guarantee of heterosexuality, for any future professional basketball endeavors. Wink

As a Liberty fan, I really felt she gave my team a lot. And she's a terrific writer. But her views are ugly.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/13/19 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, Wiggins didn't condemn homosexuality as seems to be implied here. She just said the players in the league bullied her because she was straight.

herna220

PostPosted: 03/13/19 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The episode just got posted on the CBS website.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_right/

PostPosted: 03/13/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She won a $1,000 smartphone and a $650 tool kit.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ooh, the gold diggers gonna be all over her now

PostPosted: 03/13/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Ooh, the gold diggers gonna be all over her now

And lucky for them she is in the 1/10!

PostPosted: 03/13/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
If I recall correctly, Wiggins didn't condemn homosexuality as seems to be implied here. She just said the players in the league bullied her because she was straight.

And trafficked in the tired clichés that female athletes have been trying to end...

When you read her persecution complex through the prism that she believes that the league is 98% lesbian and they are all trying to make her one too, doesn't it sound remarkably like the alt-right's "the mooooslums gunna make us all do sharia law"?

Yeah, no idea why people took issue with what she was saying. If she had been able to present actual factual support to her contentions it would be one thing, but otherwise it was someone who was a well documented agitator on the court (and I say that as someone who loved that about her game) complaining that the people who she agitated didn't particularly like her, and assuming it was because she was too pretty and feminine and straight for them.

Not to mention, she played a majority of her career on a team led by a straight Maya Moore (who just quit basketball to freaking do missionary work--yeah she full of hate--and a straight Lindsay Whalen).

PostPosted: 03/13/19 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggins smeared all the players in the WNBA with her blatant homophobia. I'm willing to believe that someone bullied her. Did the 98% of the WNBA players who are lesbians--using her absurd statistic--ALL bully Candice Wiggins for being heterosexual? What utter, bigoted crap.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/being-heterosexual-was-her-biggest-hurdle-now-for-the-rebound/87124

Quote:
She understands that her words were painful, but she also believes that while she may have been heard, no one listened. Instead, her lazy exaggeration allowed her message to be commandeered.

At times, she’ll say she doesn’t care if anyone understands: “If you don’t believe me, reject what I had to say.” But Wiggins is adamant that she spoke out to try to improve the game she loves. “I’m not trying to destroy the system,” she says.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to be a human shortcoming to label and stereotype entire groups of people based on our own limited experiences. I would suggest that the emphasis should be placed on eliminating that tendency. that seems to be the crux of and foundation for all bias and bigotry. We often make unrealistic assumptions based purely on our own isolated experience. Now those experiences should not be diminished but just put into context with the whole.

My experience seems to show that bigotry and bias can not be eliminated by a focus on just one area. When we do so, bias is just is transferred to another group. We do not solve an issue by focusing on any individual effect. It needs to go direct to the cause. It is about reasonable and logical evaluations of situations and people. Of course there are people who do not want that because they no longer would be able to take advantage of other peoples irrationality.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggins blogs about the show

https://www.candicewiggins.com/tombelle-lifestyle/the-price-is-right-experience

Quote:
The first prize was revealed to be a tool kit, and it was hard for me to hide my reservation. It was cool, and honestly just being the first contestant on stage was enough of a reward for me, but it’s not the glamorous prize you usually envision for the show, especially for the first game.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It reminds me of the time when then-Stanford player Joslyn Tinkle appeared on the show in 2013, before she became a member of the Seattle Storm...

https://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-s-joslyn-tinkle-to-come-on-down-on-price/article_709afa3e-f8b6-11e2-bac9-001a4bcf887a.html

PostPosted: 03/17/19 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
When you read her persecution complex through the prism that she believes that the league is 98% lesbian and they are all trying to make her one too, doesn't it sound remarkably like the alt-right's "the mooooslums gunna make us all do sharia law"?

I don't see any similarities and I don't see where she said they were trying to convert her.

akronborn

PostPosted: 03/23/19 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The great thing about not naming names is that no one can directly refute it. But if you say X did Y at Z, they can possibly provide proof that it isn't true.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/23/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

akronborn wrote:
The great thing about not naming names is that no one can directly refute it. But if you say X did Y at Z, they can possibly provide proof that it isn't true.

Quite right.

The other great thing about not naming names is that you get to smear everyone in sight. I'm willing to believe that Candice Wiggins was bullied. But was she bullied by all the hundreds of players in the WNBA over her eight seasons? Or by every one of the 98% of players she (ridiculously) claims are lesbians?

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 03/24/19 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/23/19 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
akronborn wrote:

Quite right.

The other great thing about not naming names is that you get to smear everyone in sight. I'm willing to believe that she was bullied. But was she bullied by all the hundreds of players in the WNBA over her eight seasons? Or by every one of the 98% of players she (ridiculously) claims are lesbians?

That part Bob...i agree 100 %

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: