RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

debatable eight:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/17/19 4:53 pm    ::: debatable eight: Reply Reply with quote

Arkansas
Auburn
Indiana
Ohio
Princeton
Tenn
TCU
UCF

so we know Princeton is in. So then it's down to 4 of the remaining seven. Or is it? Did they already account for Drake losing in the Missouri Valley or not? If not, then presumably three of the remaining seven.

- Amanda Gorman
Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/17/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interestingly the NCAA account first tweeted a graphic with the wrong teams:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D15CKaeXcAEGDwH.jpg

Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves incorrectly, but I'm assuming this means that UCF is in, but dropped into the last 4 in when Drake lost.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/17/19 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pulling for TN to make it.

I don't want all of the broadcasts to be dominated by talk about TN not making it. And you know that it will be if they aren't in it!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/17/19 5:39 pm    ::: Re: debatable eight: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Arkansas
Auburn
Indiana
Ohio
Princeton
Tenn
TCU
UCF

so we know Princeton is in. So then it's down to 4 of the remaining seven. Or is it? Did they already account for Drake losing in the Missouri Valley or not? If not, then presumably three of the remaining seven.

I guess we can say that UCF should be safely in? We can't seriously be talking about leaving a Top 15 RPI team out regardless of how few big wins they have.

That leaves:

34. Ohio
47. Indiana
48. Auburn
57. TCU
59. Tennessee
67. Arkansas

I'm surprised someone like James Madison with an RPI of 36 doesn't even make this list, which gives me reason for worry for Ohio if that's the way the committee is leaning.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/17/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=26291580&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
LibFan25

PostPosted: 03/17/19 7:24 pm    ::: Re: debatable eight: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Arkansas
Auburn
Indiana
Ohio
Princeton
Tenn
TCU
UCF

I guess we can say that UCF should be safely in? We can't seriously be talking about leaving a Top 15 RPI team out regardless of how few big wins they have.

That leaves:

34. Ohio
47. Indiana
48. Auburn
57. TCU
59. Tennessee
67. Arkansas

I'm surprised someone like James Madison with an RPI of 36 doesn't even make this list, which gives me reason for worry for Ohio if that's the way the committee is leaning.

UCF better be in, a top 15 RPI team left out would be ridiculous, and the eye test is there, i love watching them play

pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top 20 RPI teams have been left out before

PostPosted: 03/17/19 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When a team plays Connecticut twice, it helps their SOS and therefore the RPI, but it doesn’t necessarily means it’s a tournament-worthy team.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/17/19 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Tell us people ignorant about history (i.e. me) who they were and what years as a refresher. Smile

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/17/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Interestingly the NCAA account first tweeted a graphic with the wrong teams:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D15CKaeXcAEGDwH.jpg

Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves incorrectly, but I'm assuming this means that UCF is in, but dropped into the last 4 in when Drake lost.

Is the order completely arbitrary? What if this was the exact order of the Final 8 teams, so that means Ohio makes it in over Tennessee? 😮
I'm only saying this because it's obvious Virginia Tech/USC would be at the bottom of the Final 8 teams (but how did they get replaced by Princeton?) and Indiana and Auburn seem to be the most certain of the teams to get in.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/19 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:

Tell us people ignorant about history (i.e. me) who they were and what years as a refresher. Smile

Well, OK, it happened once. Laughing

In 2005-06, Western Kentucky finished 24-6 to rank #17 in RPI. They had an SOS rank of 45. They had one top 50 win, against #36 Louisiana Tech. They had six top 100 wins. They had one bad loss, against #161 UAB.

PostPosted: 03/18/19 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
When a team plays Connecticut twice, it helps their SOS and therefore the RPI, but it doesn’t necessarily means it’s a tournament-worthy team.

It helps their SOS but the losses hurt their overall record so it does not necessarily help their RPI. As a practical matter, I believe UCF's RPI was only marginally helped by those 3 losses and they still would have been a top 25 RPI team.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/18/19 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All that UCF RPI of 15 proves is how flawed that system really is. I is ridiculous that they are still using that system when there are so many other better options available. Shows how far behind even WCBB bracketing committees are. The Men no longer use it.

UCF best win was against QUinnipaic by 2 pts. Getting beaten up by Uconn while just beating much weaker teams should not be a criteria for elevating a teams RPI to a top 15 ranking. Yet it happened. The flaw is more obvious because they lost o Uconn three times elevating their RPI. Yet this same flaw is inherent in the RPI ratings and constantly manifests itself but in less blatant means.

I get a kick out of Creme saying UCF rating is an anomaly. It is not an anomaly, rather a more obvious example in respect to the RPI's inherent flaws. If you check the RPI rankings against they other methods, the RPI is consistently the most divergent. They should in no way be using it. Anyone who does when better systems are available seem to typify the term March Madness.

PostPosted: 03/18/19 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the moral of the UCF story is that you should play as many of the leaders of the 'lesser' leagues as possible. Then you don't have to play anybody with a pulse (as I think it was Art said) and will still have a great rpi.

so this year if you're a major and played in preseason:
Belmont
Mercer (sorry Pilight)
Boise State
Portland State
Maine
Little Rock
Lamar
Southern
UC Davis
NM state
Bucknell
Radford
Rice
Robt Morris
Gulf Coast
Penn
Ohio
NC A&T

even if you only won half the games in your conference, your RPI would look pretty fabulous.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 03/18/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RPI/SOS/MRIs be damned. I'm rootin' for IN and AR. Razz

PostPosted: 03/18/19 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They’ll be too worried about losing television ratings if they exclude Tennessee from the tournament.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/18/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
the moral of the UCF story is that you should play as many of the leaders of the 'lesser' leagues as possible. Then you don't have to play anybody with a pulse (as I think it was Art said) and will still have a great rpi.

so this year if you're a major and played in preseason:
Belmont
Mercer (sorry Pilight)
Boise State
Portland State
Maine
Little Rock
Lamar
Southern
UC Davis
NM state
Bucknell
Radford
Rice
Robt Morris
Gulf Coast
Penn
Ohio
NC A&T

even if you only won half the games in your conference, your RPI would look pretty fabulous.

However Myrtle, when Stanford was ruling the PAC, i think some teams in our conference had the same benefit Laughing When Mike Neighbors was at WA, he came up with a nice formula to ensure entry in to the tournament, so I am hoping for Arkansas.

PostPosted: 03/18/19 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember neighbors saying to play the best teams you thought you could beat. But really you don't need to even play 'good' teams, just teams that will get a lot of wins in their leagues...then you get their good record and you still can beat them.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/18/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which could make sense as if you play some of those then you also benefit, is my thinking correct, I haven't had my second java yet. Sprinkle in a few top beatable teams and bingo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: