RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Horror in New Zealand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/15/19 5:46 am    ::: Horror in New Zealand Reply Reply with quote

Speechless.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What you need to know:

*An eyewitness inside the mosque says he heard shots fired and says at four people were lying on the ground and "there was blood everywhere".

*An eyewitness says a man wearing a helmet and glasses and a military style jacket opened fire inside the mosque with an automatic weapon.

*About 300 people were inside the mosque for afternoon prayers.

*The manager of the An-Nur Early Childhood centre in Wigram said police gave some parents an update that said there were two gunmen and at least one was on the loose.

*People in central Christchurch have been urged to stay indoors and report any suspicious behaviour immediately to 111.

*Another eyewitness said people are being evacuated from near a second mosque in Christchurch and police are swarming the area.

*All Christchurch schools, Christchurch Hospital and Christchurch City Council buildings have been placed into lockdown.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The man that committed such evil crime in #Christchurch uploaded some pics of his weapons on twitter.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Warning Graphic Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CInTAb8rM3k

PostPosted: 03/15/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are morons everywhere

PostPosted: 03/15/19 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the LATimes. Link to follow later.

“He has contempt for the wealthiest 1%. And he singled out American conservative commentator Candace Owens as the person who had influenced him the most.
In a tweet, Owens responded by saying that if the media portrayed her as the inspiration for the attack, it had better hire lawyers.”

Shocked

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Morons? I don't think so. Twisted, angry men who have read some history. A little learning is a dangerous thing.
https://twitter.com/carol_sundahl/status/1106615477004955648

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
pilight wrote:

Morons? I don't think so. Twisted, angry men who have read some history. A little learning is a dangerous thing.

Read it maybe, but obviously didn't understand it

And yes, the shooter is a moron regardless of how angry or twisted he might be

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Warning Graphic Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CInTAb8rM3k

I just want to say this, and not as an admin or a person who decides certain things, I guess, I don't know, not quite awake yet.

I grew in a time when graphic photos or film footage was shown to the public. I'm a photographer. I believe in pictures and the importance of seeing reality as it happens or happened. I have spent hours in my life making myself sick, but LEARNING, while looking at graphic or horrific images of every manner of atrocity or disaster.

While the LATimes writes this in one article...

While his manifesto and video were an obvious and contemptuous ploy for infamy, they do contain important clues for a public trying to understand why anyone would target dozens of innocent people who were simply spending an afternoon engaged in prayer.

On another it tells of the efforts by YouTube and Twitter to keep the video off their platforms. I understand the need to protect children or anyone who doesn't want to view that kind of footage, but I don't believe in the removal from public view of this kind of material. I think it's important to see for whomever is up to viewing it. Honestly, if we ever get to the point as a species where we CAN'T gaze upon the horrors that members of our own species are capable of and perpetrate, I believe we will be lost. And I'm not sure I don't believe we're already there.

So I don't know what the video G posted here was. I'm just saying that I don't believe in its removal by platforms which are there to allow human beings to spread far and wide everything from wonderful unknown talents and cute pets and all of that... to the absolute worst such as a video made by a mass killer of his atrocity. I believe in freedom of information and I believe in it for what I believe are important reasons.

Anyway. These are very strange times. It's such a beautiful sunny morning here in LA as it so often seems to be after something like this happens somewhere else in this world. The apartment still smells of the jasmine that blooms at night here in a spring that you don't even know has begun. But the jasmine knows. There's a convergence of politics and violent insanity in the world the last hundred years or so that just continues to escalate and now is carried as if in the wind by the interconnectedness of our digital lives. How and when will any of this ever end?

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
pilight wrote:

Read it maybe, but obviously didn't understand it

And yes, the shooter is a moron regardless of how angry or twisted he might be

He's a type. Seen him over and over again my entire life. So have all of us. Not so much in LA. As I've said many times, the place can be like a paradise. But even this guy's face is familiar.

So incredibly, because the world is such a strange place wherein the most odd and incredible convergences of things really do happen... yesterday Trump said something that could have been said in private after this event took place and that as I doubtless have to inform most of you was this vaguely and poorly and too candidly stated idea that on his side are the crazies with all the guns. I'm just translating it into my own characterization of what he said.

So the media, as it must do, characterizes this as a threat being made by Trump or even a call to arms or for violence to occur on his behalf. I honestly don't believe that, but then I've come to not believe many things the news media says about anything political in this world.

So Trump is just sorely, and I emphasize the word SORELY, unfit for the office he holds, we all know that, and that just manifests itself on a daily basis. The media's only response to that has been to try from day one to expel Trump from the system and to point the cameras on themselves as they work through this their only agenda when it comes to Trump.

But there's one side here (so many factions etc. just speaking of the major political perspectives in this country) that is in a constant effort it seems to antagonize and humiliate and effectively piss off another side in America. And while the side doing that doesn't even BELIEVE In guns, the side being antagonized and humiliated have made the AR15 the number one selling firearm in America many years running. So I don't know if I've already predicted this here on Rebkell's, but I've been predicting it to family and friends for quite a few years now. And that is that this is morphing from cultural and often class warfare into an actual hot and bloody war with body counts. And I'm sorry to say that I think it's going to look for the most part much like this New Zealand shooting.

But yes, I agree with Trump, as people around the country are pushed to adapt coastal attitudes and the punishments for not doing so such as job loss and personal destruction continue to rain down on these vast swaths of America that are hotbeds of gun ownership and rising anger and resentment, I don't put it beyond reality that more organized efforts by people with nationalist leanings don't start to become more widely seen and eventually felt. People will only be pushed so far. This has been true in all societies since the dawn of mankind. And that's why we've had endless war as a species.

I think Trump is just stating the truth here, as inelegantly and pure 'dude-like' as he can be prone to. He DOES talk like an old dude, meaning a male of semi-working class northeast background. I know people are going to jump on that but please, he is not from Manhattan and he was always seen as a grub from the outer boroughs and that's kind of who and what he is.

I would also add that it is telling and I guess frightening to some that Trump does, as he stated, enjoy wild popularity with law enforcement and the military.

Oh, and if I haven't said this a million times, Trump is only the first. There are parts of this country where Fox News is what's playing on TVs in the airports. It's a divided country. Dangerously so.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Trump is only the first

He's a long way from the first. He's just the latest.

Quote:
people around the country are pushed to adapt coastal attitudes and the punishments for not doing so such as job loss and personal destruction continue to rain down

This is also not a new sentiment.

"They assert the power to declare unconstitutional our very thoughts. To create for us a system of moral and ethical values. To outlaw and declare unconstitutional, illegal, and immoral the customs, traditions, and beliefs of the people, and furthermore they assert the authority to enforce their decrees in all these subjects upon the American people without their consent."

Sound familiar? Trump is just a less competent version of the same thing, who also wasn't the first of that kind.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
So Trump is just sorely, and I emphasize the word SORELY, unfit for the office he holds, we all know that, and that just manifests itself on a daily basis. The media's only response to that has been to try from day one to expel Trump from the system and to point the cameras on themselves as they work through this their only agenda when it comes to Trump.

This is, imo, patently false. If true, he never would have won the Republican nomination, or the electoral vote, and would have already been impeached.

The complicit "media" has, in fact, allowed Trump.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/15/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Trump is only the first

He's a long way from the first. He's just the latest.

Quote:
people around the country are pushed to adapt coastal attitudes and the punishments for not doing so such as job loss and personal destruction continue to rain down

This is also not a new sentiment.

"They assert the power to declare unconstitutional our very thoughts. To create for us a system of moral and ethical values. To outlaw and declare unconstitutional, illegal, and immoral the customs, traditions, and beliefs of the people, and furthermore they assert the authority to enforce their decrees in all these subjects upon the American people without their consent."

Sound familiar? Trump is just a less competent version of the same thing, who also wasn't the first of that kind.

Agreed. This stuff is universal throughout time and place. We haven't solved it as a species and we likely won't. But being specific and current Shocked as is my endless wont... Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 03/15/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

This is, imo, patently false. If true, he never would have won the Republican nomination, or the electoral vote, and would have already been impeached.

These things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, nothing LIKE these things are mutually exclusive. What I wrote there, while it is an opinion, is very far from being 'patently false.' But back at you I think it IS false to say that had the media tried harder to make Donald Trump look even worse that then he wouldn't have been elected or that he would have been impeached by now.

The media could have 'decided' for the country and the world that Donald Trump was unfit for the office he was running for and COMPLETELY refused to cover him on any networks or in any newspapers. I don't know how they would have done that but I do know that it would have been wrong for them to have done that. But that would have probably made it very difficult for him to become president of the US. Short of that, I think Trump played his cards perfectly and I think the media acted as the media is as the media is as the media is as the media is, ad infinitum.

It's like the story of crocodile giving a ride to the whatever and the crocodile assures its passenger that it won't eat it and then once its in the middle of the water the croc starts to eat the monkey or whatever the fuck it is and the monkey says "you promised to not eat me' and the croc says, "i'm a crocodile. it's what I do."

I mean if you're waiting for the news media to not cover someone like Trump. And again, I don't believe that's the answer to anything other than maybe avoiding a guy like Trump in the White House. For a while. Trump is not the problem with this country or the world. Trump is a blip in time but he's very much a result or symptom of a vast and powerful disease that exists in the public political process as it works in America. As inevitable as he was, Trump has come very late to that party.

The problem is a broken political system and the media and coastal elites who benefit from it. You got a lot of ignorant people out there. Absolutely. But the haves kept those people ignorant by locking them out of the best schools and the best careers and the best cities and all of that, and then we started pissing them off in earnest about a half century ago. And instead of figuring out how to make the country work for everyone we just keep beating on this less sophisticated part of the country for being ignorant while we downgrade their lifestyles and aspirations and on and on.

This is an ongoing social class war disaster.

You seem to have wanted the media to have ignored Trump? I don't know how they could have been harsher in their criticism of him all along the way from the escalator to election night. But I don't know why so many of you all aren't ignoring him NOW. lol. Too much focus is on this guy. He doesn't want to be Hitler. That's not who he is. That's a fantasy boogieman that people are projecting en masse onto the reality. He's a scoundrel and he's unfit for the office but that's not exactly new either in this country's political system OR even in the White House. So we can catalogue and report on all the bad decisions the Trump administration is responsible for without the endless focus on Trump the man.

You know. lol. I remember the Bush ii administration. You want to know what was one of the worst things ever IMO? There was something called the Clean Air Act enacted when I was still a kid. (I believe, don't hold me to absolute facts here.) Even AS a kid I was blown away that some of the badly needed corrections put in place would not take effect until DECADES later. Blew me away. But then you forget about it entirely. Whatever. And then Shrub comes along and kills those parts of the Clean Air Act that we'd been waiting for for like 20 or more years.

Bush was reprehensible. And that story was covered. But why wasn't the focus on Bush to the degree that it is on Trump? Trump still has a few years left, but Trump is absolutely constitutionally incapable of the evils of the Bush presidency. Stop focusing SO much on the man and feeding the beast exactly what it feeds off of. Or else get ready for another four years. Because this guy is once again starting to play his cards really right.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You seem to have wanted the media to have ignored Trump? I don't know how they could have been harsher in their criticism of him all along the way from the escalator to election night. But I don't know why so many of you all aren't ignoring him NOW. lol. Too much focus is on this guy

I believe it was the inimitable Omarosa who first declared that his media coverage is the very oxygen that feeds his beastly ego. *I* personally avoid any of his televised (or other media) shit-fests. PBS may be the best at not twisting anybody's knickers into a panic with their coverage, but even they report what's 'important'.

I've long said that, given his hostile attitude towards the media, i.e., his Jim Acosta debacle, the reporters should simply unify and walk the hell out of his press briefings. But again....the almighty dollar rules, so EVERYBODY needs to get his latest shit scoops to air.

As stated by others here, the phenomenon he represents isn't new. What IS *new* is the scope of affect here....social media, etc., makes MORE people aware/enraged/riled/etc. And the entire civilized world watches. And Tweets.

George, Benjamin, John Q., Alexander, Thomas & Co. are (I hope) not spinning in their graves, but rather (I hope) are watching with rapt attention to the potential sturdiness of their brilliant creation, a Constitutional Republic. I'd even enjoy believing that perhaps they've taken on the task of confronting this current travesty head on, and reincarnated in the likes of AOC. Wink

All said and done, we are long past the days of the Banana Republic we may have been in 1700....for better OR for worse: much greater status in the world, but we've also wrought more evil throughout the world. We have a healthier, more diverse population, but we also have rampant greed and corruption on a far greater scale than 300 years ago.

THIS CYCLE isn't new in nature or origin, but it IS different in scope. But as 'our' evils are magnified, so must our GOOD.

PostPosted: 03/16/19 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Quote:
You seem to have wanted the media to have ignored Trump? I don't know how they could have been harsher in their criticism of him all along the way from the escalator to election night. But I don't know why so many of you all aren't ignoring him NOW. lol. Too much focus is on this guy

I believe it was the inimitable Omarosa who first declared that his media coverage is the very oxygen that feeds his beastly ego. *I* personally avoid any of his televised (or other media) shit-fests. PBS may be the best at not twisting anybody's knickers into a panic with their coverage, but even they report what's 'important'.

I've long said that, given his hostile attitude towards the media, i.e., his Jim Acosta debacle, the reporters should simply unify and walk the hell out of his press briefings. But again....the almighty dollar rules, so EVERYBODY needs to get his latest shit scoops to air.

As stated by others here, the phenomenon he represents isn't new. What IS *new* is the scope of affect here....social media, etc., makes MORE people aware/enraged/riled/etc. And the entire civilized world watches. And Tweets.

George, Benjamin, John Q., Alexander, Thomas & Co. are (I hope) not spinning in their graves, but rather (I hope) are watching with rapt attention to the potential sturdiness of their brilliant creation, a Constitutional Republic. I'd even enjoy believing that perhaps they've taken on the task of confronting this current travesty head on, and reincarnated in the likes of AOC. Wink

All said and done, we are long past the days of the Banana Republic we may have been in 1700....for better OR for worse: much greater status in the world, but we've also wrought more evil throughout the world. We have a healthier, more diverse population, but we also have rampant greed and corruption on a far greater scale than 300 years ago.

THIS CYCLE isn't new in nature or origin, but it IS different in scope. But as 'our' evils are magnified, so must our GOOD.

So I pretty much agree with this as far as content. But there's still this requisite dark cloud that is Trump darkening the landscape and a 'this too shall pass' pluckiness, etc.

I look at things like this. The country is like a patient. A sick patient. Many fevers. Collapsed lung. Internal bleeding. Brittle bones. Clogged arteries. High blood pressure. Cancer. And to top it all off, here comes a big old pimple on the nose of the patient. And it's one of those kind you got as a kid that hurt like hell. But the pimple is new. All the other situations are chronic persistent long standing conditions. So even with all of these ailments, naturally, the new large and painful pimple on the end of the patient's nose is all the fucking patient cares about. Get this fucking pimple off my nose.

So my thing is this. The pimple on the nose will pass. This other shit shall not pass. This other shit is what's going to get you.

Yeah, I'm done here. jammer drops the new MacBook Pro and exits stage left.

PostPosted: 03/16/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I look at things like this. The country is like a patient. A sick patient. Many fevers. Collapsed lung. Internal bleeding. Brittle bones. Clogged arteries. High blood pressure. Cancer. And to top it all off, here comes a big old pimple on the nose of the patient. And it's one of those kind you got as a kid that hurt like hell. But the pimple is new. All the other situations are chronic persistent long standing conditions. So even with all of these ailments, naturally, the new large and painful pimple on the end of the patient's nose is all the fucking patient cares about. Get this fucking pimple off my nose.

So my thing is this. The pimple on the nose will pass. This other shit shall not pass. This other shit is what's going to get you.

That's an insightful metaphorical analysis . . . truly . . . even for those who don't think there's a pimple. (Though I don't know what any of it has to do with the horrorful events in New Zealand.)
Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
That's an insightful metaphorical analysis . . . truly . . . even for those who don't think there's a pimple....

I'd agree---we're well past that stage; the 'pimple' has progressed to a festering boil by now. Razz

PostPosted: 03/17/19 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

That's an insightful metaphorical analysis . . . truly . . . even for those who don't think there's a pimple. (Though I don't know what any of it has to do with the horrorful events in New Zealand.)

Thank you and I kind of agree with your parenthetical there in spirit but the media is pretty busy making this all about Trump. It's abominable. These mass killers and killings were happening long before Trump. But they have to find a way of laying actual BLAME at Trump's feet. This is a toxic nightmare politically. (Morning Joe, which I don't watch anymore because they too can't change the subject for more than a brief chat about the Red Sox, covered this years ago. If you go too far in what you are accusing Trump of doing or being you are going to create sympathy and support and a backlash all in his favor.)

Look let's get real. Americans everywhere are hurt by this shooting because we identify strongly with it as a nation who has experienced it so many times. It is a brutal shame to wake up to yet another of these horrific inhuman events. But you all know that we ALSO collectively as Americans breathed just a little bit easier knowing that, THIS time at least, it wasn't us and it didn't happen here. So when CNN sits there and uses some typically every single day inadequate unpresidential thing that Trump says to tie it all up and lay it at Trump's and by extension America's doorstep... people don't just see this as bullshit. Americans are going to take offense. It's an overreach by a media that is obsessed with undoing the Trump presidency. And bam just like that you lost a half-million swing state voters.

Back to New Zealand. The images this morning are heart-wrenching. You have the prime minister in a black headscarf embracing and comforting victims' families. If that doesn't get you then you have see the Māori war dance in tribute to the victims. These guys are rough dudes. There was an amazing film about 15 years ago that I think won best foreign film at the Oscars on the Māoris. Oh yeah. Once Were Warriors. But these dudes are like in biker gear, leather and studs, etc. Looks like they hadn't practiced that dance in a while. A lot of yelling. But that was a powerfully emotional tribute and a real statement from the most native of New Zealanders.

PostPosted: 03/17/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not like the killer actually called Trump "symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose."

Oh wait, that is exactly what the killer called Trump.

You don't get to be mad that the media said the killer was inspired by Trump, Candace Owens, etc., when the killer himself said he was inspired by those people.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/17/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
It's not like the killer actually called Trump "symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose."

You don't get to be mad that the media said the killer was inspired by Trump, Candace Owens, etc., when the killer himself said he was inspired by those people.

X __________________________ (x millions of NOT-stupid Americans)

PostPosted: 03/17/19 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

The killer is full of shit. He said whatever would generate the most coverage. His only motivation was self aggrandizement.

PostPosted: 03/17/19 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The shooter writes:

Quote:
“The person who has influenced me above all is Candace Owens. Each time she spoke I was stunned by her insights and her own views helped me push further and further into the belief of violence over meekness. However I will have to disavow some of her believes, the extreme actions she calls for are too much, even for my tastes.”

Reading that, it appears that he had it in for Candace Owens. Owens came on the scene and continues on the scene with the message that blacks should consider not being Democrats. She doesn't talk about our Infinite Immigration Policy. She did re-tweet something Obama said in 2008 that criticized ILLEGAL immigration. Regarding Muslims I find this one tweet that she made about Omar on January 26, 2019, at 6:11 AM:

Quote:
Our new, Muslim congresswoman @IlhanMN, who was sworn in by putting her hand over the Quran— is now pleading for leniency for men that are accused of joining ISIS.

Isn’t diversity just the BEST?!

Anybody who says it isn’t is racist

The idea that she calls for (violent) actions alone is ridiculous, let alone that they are too extreme for someone who murders people. If he had said that about the founder of Black Lives Matter the media would be continuously adding that the quote had no merit.

Last edited by tfan on 03/17/19 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/17/19 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

The media had no reason to attack Trump prior to his nomination. Don Lemon was even restrained about him during the campaign. It was widely perceived that Trump's nomination was ideal for the Democrats - he had no chance against Clinton - whereas Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio or others would have had better chances. The media was rooting for him to get the nomination and were happy, not angry, that he got it. From the nomination to the election, they could try and maintain as much impartiality as possible, thinking it didn't matter as far as him having a chance of being elected. They didn't get angry and drop all pretence of impartiality until he won.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/17/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

The killer is full of shit. He said whatever would generate the most coverage. His only motivation was self aggrandizement.

....as is the Primary Motivation for Donald Trump: for a world leader to rise to THIS level of Role Model for THAT kind of person (and he's not alone) is most saddening.

Miss Barbie Doll merely IS what she IS: an iconic 'toy' created to inspire young people. Marketing has made her bigger than life, and she has impacted generations of young females. Might young ladies who become anorexic 'blame' her? (...and she doesn't even Tweet, does she?)

The SOLE responsibility for NZ's tragedy lies with the shooter; but IF Trump is named as an inspiration, it's HIS responsibility to push back and UNEQUIVOCALLY renounce ALL levels of white supremacy/racism/xenophobia in a most emphatic way. Words/images/reactions MATTER. His lack of venom towards this blight is telling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: