RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MAC Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/15/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Ohio just trounced Miami, 74-48.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/15/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

That was fun. The teams had split their two regular season games in close contests, so I was expecting more of the same today. But today Ohio executed a great defensive game plan, putting constant pressure on the ball and bringing quick doubles when the ball entered the post to neutralize Miami's considerable size advantage. On offense, Miami had been the league's leader in 3-point defense, but today Bobcat threes were falling early and often, which opened up the driving lanes for CeCe Hooks to score at the rim. Add in the fact that the RedHawks had one of those days when no one could shoot worth a damn, and the rout was on.

The first game was much more entertaining. The Bulls, including Cierra Dillard, were atrocious from three for nearly the entire game. But Dillard made up for it by simply putting her head down and driving to the rim. I think she ended up with around 30 points, even though she only hit one three. Then Hannah Hall, who had been doghoused on the bench after starting the first twenty games at point, took advantage of her second consecutive start to hit a three that nailed it down.

I thought that the two teams that won played as if their hopes for a NCAA tournament berth were on the line, which they probably were. CMU may have lost something of an edge thinking that they already had an at-large, and Miami never seemed to really believe they were good enough to make the tourney. Tomorrow should be a good one, as the two teams split their two games, winning on each other's court. Quicken Loans Arena will provide the forum for the tiebreaker tomorrow at 11:00 A.M.

The game might not be easy to watch if you're not in Cleveland, though. It will be on the CBS Sports Network. Does anyone actually get that channel? I'll be watching it from a comfy seat at the Q.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

That was fun. The teams had split their two regular season games in close contests, so I was expecting more of the same today. But today Ohio executed a great defensive game plan, putting constant pressure on the ball and bringing quick doubles when the ball entered the post to neutralize Miami's considerable size advantage. On offense, Miami had been the league's leader in 3-point defense, but today Bobcat threes were falling early and often, which opened up the driving lanes for CeCe Hooks to score at the rim. Add in the fact that the RedHawks had one of those days when no one could shoot worth a damn, and the rout was on.

The first game was much more entertaining. The Bulls, including Cierra Dillard, were atrocious from three for nearly the entire game. But Dillard made up for it by simply putting her head down and driving to the rim. I think she ended up with around 30 points, even though she only hit one three. Then Hannah Hall, who had been doghoused on the bench after starting the first twenty games at point, took advantage of her second consecutive start to hit a three that nailed it down.

I thought that the two teams that won played as if their hopes for a NCAA tournament berth were on the line, which they probably were. CMU may have lost something of an edge thinking that they already had an at-large, and Miami never seemed to really believe they were good enough to make the tourney. Tomorrow should be a good one, as the two teams split their two games, winning on each other's court. Quicken Loans Arena will provide the forum for the tiebreaker tomorrow at 11:00 A.M.

The game might not be easy to watch if you're not in Cleveland, though. It will be on the CBS Sports Network. Does anyone actually get that channel? I'll be watching it from a comfy seat at the Q.

I have CBS Sports Network on my YouTubeTV. Enjoy the game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/19 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have that channel too. I still think the loser of this game is doubtful to make the tourney...though I would prefer they did over a team like Tenn or anybody with a losing conference record.

- Amanda Gorman
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/16/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final is tied at 10 at the media t.o.

Dillard has half of Bulls' points and Burke has half of Ohio's.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/16/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hall providing daggers.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 03/16/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Hall is hitting her three point shot, Buffalo is going to be tough to beat.
38-23 BUFF with 4:31 left in half

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/16/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

43-28 Bulls H

Game is on cbssn

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/16/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always start singing Marley's 'Buffalo Soldiers' when I watch Buffalo

- Amanda Gorman
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I always start singing Marley's 'Buffalo Soldiers' when I watch Buffalo

Ha. My story re that song in a sec.

The game has some juice as Ohio has pulled to 65-57 w/ 4:55 left.

For the 1st few years I only knew the uptempo version and always thought wth, this tune needs to be slowed down, rock steady style.

Then one day I heard it and laughed like hell. I KNEW I was right. Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chop, chop, chop....
Chop, chop, chop!
Welcome to the NCAA’s, Buffalo!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PRballer

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice game. I love Coach Jack and the Bulls are back!

So this is a three bid league - Ohio, CMU and Buffalo all get in, right? This isn’t good for the SEC bubble teams

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing Buffalo did right was to ONLY have three shooters who could make them shoot them. It drives me crazy when teams think it's ok for everyone on the team to shoot them. It's the same thing as a turnover unless you have a huge rebounding edge. Even then it's bad since missed threes are often long rebounds so your good rebounders don't get them.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

So this is a three bid league - Ohio, CMU and Buffalo all get in, right? This isn’t good for the SEC bubble teams

Ohio is squarely on the bubble too.

- Amanda Gorman
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Ohio is squarely on the bubble too.

The only conference in trouble in the Big 12. TCU and West Virginia will both miss out if Ohio is in.
The only doomsday scenario I could come up with for Tennessee missing the tournament would be if Ohio won (with Buffalo still being ranked ahead of Tennessee) then Drake losing in the MVC, knocking out Tennessee, but now I think Ohio may be the last team in, so they'd be knocked out if Drake losses.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoy watching people express their faith when full of joy. Coach Jack is inspiring.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/19 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. This was my first time seeing Buffalo or Ohio play. I was not overly impressed, with either team, nor with Miss Dillard. There were some nice moments in the game, and I AM very glad Buffalo is in. But--stats/RPI/BigFatWins nothwithstanding--neither of these teams passed the 'eye test' for beating out teams like a WVU, Arkansas or Virginia Tech to get in, imo. They're both very solid Middies.

Good luck to 'em, however it may fall.

PostPosted: 03/16/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Hmmm. This was my first time seeing Buffalo or Ohio play. I was not overly impressed, with either team, nor with Miss Dillard. There were some nice moments in the game, and I AM very glad Buffalo is in. But--stats/RPI/BigFatWins nothwithstanding--neither of these teams passed the 'eye test' for beating out teams like a WVU, Arkansas or Virginia Tech to get in, imo. They're both very solid Middies.

Good luck to 'em, however it may fall.

pretty much my thoughts too. Compared to the P5s everything kinda looks like slo mo. But even though I think they may not be as good as WVU, etc... I'm still fine to have more mids in. And the three shooting was nice.

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/16/19 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some mock drafts have the Sky drafting Dillard in the second round. I am not a fan of any player that scores twenty plus points per game shooting less than forty percent. That player by definition is a Motherchucker. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/16/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Some mock drafts have the Sky drafting Dillard in the second round. I am not a fan of any player that scores twenty plus points per game shooting less than forty percent. That player by definition is a Motherchucker. Rolling Eyes

she's a decent player and has a solid pro-like body, but doesn't have the 'quicks' I think she will need...and she is a bit of a chucker. Also one of the commentators made a telling comment that she didn't have the lateral quickness to guard someone. It was someone specific, but not someone slated to be a W player. At this level she tends to be a bulldozer type and overpower whoever is trying to guard her. I don't think that will work so well in the W...but there are some bulldozer types in our league - the one her size and perhaps with similar limitations, that comes to mind is Lindsay Whalen. So if she could become the next Lindsay Whalen that is a pretty high bar. I don't know what her A/TO ratio is, but she doesn't seem to want to ever give up the ball. So that is something she would have to work on. In this game she shot quite well and great from three...but that seems to come and go as well. JMO and I've only watched her 3 or 4 times so limited perspective.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/16/19 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I am not a fan of any player that scores twenty plus points per game shooting less than forty percent. That player by definition is a Motherchucker. Rolling Eyes

In Oregon's last four games of the season, Sabrina Ionescu averaged 20.5 ppg shooting 33.3% (29-87).
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/16/19 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
I am not a fan of any player that scores twenty plus points per game shooting less than forty percent. That player by definition is a Motherchucker. :roll:

In Oregon's last four games of the season, Sabrina Ionescu averaged 20.5 ppg shooting 33.3% (29-87).

For her career Ionescu shot 44% overall and 43% from 3.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/16/19 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
I am not a fan of any player that scores twenty plus points per game shooting less than forty percent. That player by definition is a Motherchucker. Rolling Eyes

Yes, but I picked those games as reflecting her most recent performance in tournament pressure crunch time. If motivated, I'll calculate her career numbers in the NCAA tournament, as I'm curious about her performance against good teams under pressure.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Now, why would you bring up such irrelevant factoids?? Wink Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/16/19 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know that Ionescu is the golden child of women's college basketball. The 2019 draft has two Titans that will come out with length, height, and strength. If my team needs a strong post player to anchor the defense for my team I would definitely not draft a guard unless she is the female version of Michael Jordan. Ionescu does not have amazing speed, quickness, or jumping ability.
If she enters the 2019 draft and Bill drafts her that action would make me smile like the Joker!! Laughing Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: