RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 All Americans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/14/19 12:43 pm    ::: 2019 All Americans Reply Reply with quote

ESPNW
First team:
Megan Gustafson - Their unanimous choice for POY
Napheesa Collier
Teaira McCowan
Sabrina Ionescu
Asia Durr

Second team:
Kristine Anigwe
Alanna Smith
Kalani Brown
Arike Ogunbowale
Bridget Carleton

Also receiving votes: Lauren Cox, Baylor; Sophie Cunningham, Missouri

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/15/19 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/14/19 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK

So dUrr in the tournament was

25/65 for 38% FGs 5/25 for 20% from three playing 38 mins per game

Ogunnerbrawler was

21/61 for 34% FGs 5/18 for 27% from three playing 33 mins per game in 3 blow out games

I am scratching my head why anyone would think that these 2 are All Americans and their seasons are not that great either?

ESPNw has no credibility on this.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 2:31 pm    ::: Re: 2019 All Americans Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ESPNWi

Link?

Yes, we all could search for it. But it is important to credit the source. And it also looks good for women's basketball coverage if the number of hits increases on ESPN.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Women's College Basketball All-Americans 2019
(espnw)

This was a women's basketball season with talent spread out all across the country, and a particularly strong senior class. Ten programs are represented on our espnW All-America first and second teams. All but one are seniors, with six post players and four guards. Voting was done by espnW's Charlie Creme, Graham Hays and Mechelle Voepel.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26259755/women-college-basketball-all-americans-2019

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/14/19 2:36 pm    ::: Re: 2019 All Americans Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ESPNW
First team:
Megan Gustafson
Napheesa Collier
Teaira McCowan
Sabrina Ionescu
Asia Durr

Second team:
Kristine Anigwe
Alanna Smith
Kalani Brown
Arike Ogunbowale
Bridget Carleton

Also receiving votes: Lauren Cox, Baylor; Sophie Cunningham, Missouri

Funny how I knew what to look for huh Shades, some people are just damn lazy. Thanks for posting Shades.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no problem with this list. I'm surprised they left off KLS, just because of the notoriety. My guess is she will find her way on to others' lists. I'm sure Geno will be campaigning for her.

While Arika and Asia may have shitty % and are certainly gunners, they are still key to their teams' successes, and their teams are arguably the two best in the country - certainly in the top six by anybody's account. And team success obviously counts for a whole lot. You can notice that Anigwe is the only one who made the list whose team isn't in the top two of their league.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/14/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well there are lots of players that are key to the success of a team. Ogunnerbrawler is 1 of 5 players on her team and has the lousiest stats, so I don't buy that argument as it is the easiest for her to play being surrounded by 4 other draft eligible players. dUrr for some reason has the same hype as Ionescu and she hasn't backed it up.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get too concerned about these awards, generally.

The list looks ok to me. I'm sure the real ones will be somewhat different.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/19 6:54 pm    ::: Re: 2019 All Americans Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Funny how I knew what to look for huh Shades, some people are just damn lazy. Thanks for posting Shades.

Posting ESPN's information, via a cut and paste and without crediting the source, has intellectual property issues and also, as I mentioned, does nothing to drive internet traffic to ESPN to get hits (which presumably will help with WBB coverage).

But feel free to characterize it as laziness, especially since I posted the link in the next post...and which should have been in the original post.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/14/19 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This group:

First team:
Megan Gustafson
Napheesa Collier
Teaira McCowan
Sabrina Ionescu
Asia Durr

Second team:
Kristine Anigwe
Alanna Smith
Kalani Brown
Arike Ogunbowale
Bridget Carleton

....could probably win some wnba games after a week or 3 together. Cool

PostPosted: 03/14/19 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
This group:

First team:
Megan Gustafson
Napheesa Collier
Teaira McCowan
Sabrina Ionescu
Asia Durr

Second team:
Kristine Anigwe
Alanna Smith
Kalani Brown
Arike Ogunbowale
Bridget Carleton

....could probably win some wnba games after a week or 3 together. Cool

Not in 1 million years. Who do they beat? Indiana?

PostPosted: 03/14/19 11:01 pm    ::: Re: 2019 All Americans Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ESPNWi

Link?

Yes, we all could search for it. But it is important to credit the source. And it also looks good for women's basketball coverage if the number of hits increases on ESPN.

This. Is. Important

Thank you!

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/14/19 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karlie Samuelson calling out the ESPN writers publicly on Twitter for not including her kid sister is laughable. The Samuelsons continue to define the words spoiled and entitled.

Sit down, Karlie. Oh wait you probably already are. #benchedbrat

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/15/19 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I have no problem with this list. I'm surprised they left off KLS, just because of the notoriety. My guess is she will find her way on to others' lists. I'm sure Geno will be campaigning for her.

While Arika and Asia may have shitty % and are certainly gunners, they are still key to their teams' successes, and their teams are arguably the two best in the country - certainly in the top six by anybody's account. And team success obviously counts for a whole lot. You can notice that Anigwe is the only one who made the list whose team isn't in the top two of their league.

Adding to Myrtle's point about Durr and Ogunbowale

using their conference tourny is a little cherry picking for the season they are both at around 44% and 35%, they also have 3+ to 4ish apg with A/TO ratios in the 1.75 to 2 range while scoring 20+ ppg, on teams that have been pretty much ranked top 5 all season. And in Asia's case I am sure most coaches are planning their defense around stopping her when Louisville is in town and she still doesn't turn the ball over, and Arike's "gunning" hasn't hurt ND's chances too much maybe you can blame a loss on her here or there (They only have 3 all season I believe, maybe 4) but then you also have to credit her with some wins in games that she took over which she does regularly 5 starting WNBA draft level talents or not.

tahoma17

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously??

I have been reading this board regularly over the past few years and I appreciate those who post regularly.

I have to respond to this post. I am a 25-year plus fan of Stanford and of college women's basketball in general.
Karlie is one of my favorite Stanford players, and, from an objective point of view, I agree she is wrong on this point. However, they are a very close family and she is just trying to support her little sister, particularly when Katie Lou is trying to recover from an injury. I don't understand your need to attack her.

By the way, my vote for player of the year is Megan Gustafson. I've been watching her all season and she is just fantastic. I wish more of the Stanford front line would learn to use the backboard like she does. With respect to the next level (WNBA) I'm hoping she'll be like Becky Hammon, who I'm sure many people thought would not make it in the pros.

tahoma17

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Karlie Samuelson calling out the ESPN writers publicly on Twitter for not including her kid sister is laughable. The Samuelsons continue to define the words spoiled and entitled.

Just to clarify, I was responding to this post

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/15/19 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tahoma17 wrote:
Seriously??

I have been reading this board regularly over the past few years and I appreciate those who post regularly.

I have to respond to this post. I am a 25-year plus fan of Stanford and of college women's basketball in general.
Karlie is one of my favorite Stanford players, and, from an objective point of view, I agree she is wrong on this point. However, they are a very close family and she is just trying to support her little sister, particularly when Katie Lou is trying to recover from an injury. I don't understand your need to attack her.

By the way, my vote for player of the year is Megan Gustafson. I've been watching her all season and she is just fantastic. I wish more of the Stanford front line would learn to use the backboard like she does. With respect to the next level (WNBA) I'm hoping she'll be like Becky Hammon, who I'm sure many people thought would not make it in the pros.

Thanks for posting! Good to have more people with fresh perspectives. Honestly I somehow have a strong reaction to anything “Katie Lou” and her behavior so that’s probably why it comes off as an attack on Karlie.

Clarification: On Karlie and her tweet, I totally get why she would stick up for her little sister. What perturbs me is she’s calling out the espn writers directly on twitter. I think Mechelle Voepel knows what she’s talking about and it’s her call after her 30+ year covering this game that Bridget Carleton deserves to be on over Lou. (Ironically if it was me, I’d have somehow put her on the second team or made her an Honorable Mention).

So please forgive my venom. Maybe it’s misguided disdain for their privileged backgrounds. I find them to be whiny spoiled brats and Lou especially has always rubbed me the wrong way, especially since the 2017 Final Four. I will just let it go and enjoy my satisfaction if and when UConn is bounced out in the Elite 8.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/15/19 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, what she did is twitter in a nut shell. If this was any other sibling on any other team than UCONN, you wouldn't even bat an eyelash. Sad.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/15/19 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PRballer wrote:

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, what she did is twitter in a nut shell. If this was any other sibling on any other team than UCONN, you wouldn't even bat an eyelash. Sad.

Now, now. I have plenty of respect for the UConn program and have adored many UConn players over the years. Loved watching Lobo and Rizzotti back in the day and really admire Swin Cash and Gabby Williams as players. The UConn system has taken our beloved women’s basketball to new heights and I love Geno’s brand of feminism. Love me some Collier - she’s a workhorse and some GM is gonna be happy to grab her.

I’m sorry I just don’t like Katie Lou - for many reasons. But she’s a killer and if healthy might go on a tear in this tournament. And it will pain me Smile

And fair point on Twitter but I have to standby my reaction. The follow up comment calling out Voepel and Hayes rubs me the wrong way (clearly).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/15/19 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

PostPosted: 03/15/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah the usual voter bias toward Power Forwards, who can't play Small Forward even on their own teams.

1st
ArikeO -- Ionescu -- Carleton -- Gustafson -- McCowan

2nd
Aari McDonald -- Durr -- Cunningham -- Collier -- Brown

3rd
Chennedy Carter -- Kenisha Bell -- KLS -- A Smith -- Anigwe

hon
Taniya Page -- Howard -- ?? -- Cox (or Huff) -- Sheppard

Aari and Bell for the D, Carter isn't a true point so Bell there.
Not sure who should be the honor SF.
The game prefers 3 point shooters for the court stretching.
Maybe Dillard at the 2, and Howard at the 3.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Ah the usual voter bias toward Power Forwards, who can't play Small Forward even on their own teams.

1st
ArikeO -- Ionescu -- Carleton -- Gustafson -- McCowan

2nd
Aari McDonald -- Durr -- Cunningham -- Collier -- Brown

3rd
Chennedy Carter -- Kenisha Bell -- KLS -- A Smith -- Anigwe

hon
Taniya Page -- Howard -- ?? -- Cox (or Huff) -- Sheppard

Aari and Bell for the D, Carter isn't a true point so Bell there.
Not sure who should be the honor SF.
The game prefers 3 point shooters for the court stretching.
Maybe Dillard at the 2, and Howard at the 3.

I agree but I would go further. 5 of the 11 players were the starting centers on their team. Collier and Gustafson were centers more than forwards and Anigwe never played forward.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/17/19 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My pro-ball position bias is showing Wink I don't think Collier or Huff would have a chance against Brown or McCowan, but also vice versa. KLS played plenty of 3 last year, and in a few back-up rotation line-ups this year. So yeah I'm fudging a bit.

Hon 1
Teniya Page -- A Howard -- J Young -- Huff -- Shepard

Hon 2
Tiana Mangakahia -- Dillard -- Kaila Charles -- Cox -- Mompremier

Fixed spellings, Hon 1 looks Notre Dame -ish, Hon 2 has a Baylor feel. Cox got the votes. Charles > Young. Page and Tiana get the #s on good team v #s on bad team argument.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: