RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let the impeachment begin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/28/19 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Are you willing to agree he’s lying about nothing? After all, he’s under oath. He’s experiencing the penalties of lying under oath and would be subject to further penalties for further lies.

No. But his goal is trying to give the Senate dirt on President Trump in exchange for time off of his prison sentence. If he's not willing to tell them what they want to hear with regards to the Steele dossier, or that he wasn't told to commit crimes, he would have to be certain that there would be a day of reckoning if he lies about it. He may very well be in trouble for OTHER things he has been caught lying about. For example, writing "N/A" on his foreign business dealings earlier, then giving a completely different story yesterday. It remains to be seen if more charges will be filed against Cohen. But I doubt it... Cohen has gone against the President, so crimes usually get ignored at that point.

The check gimmick is laughable. Even Lyndsey Graham called him out on that. Unless your name is Jussie Smollett, no one is stupid enough to leave a paper trail like that. The check could have been for literally anything, including paying for any type of attorney's fees. The racist angle is another gimmick that everyone knows can never be proven one way or another.

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/28/19 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gc3ewoamDh8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc3ewoamDh8

PostPosted: 02/28/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordan, Meadows ask DOJ to investigate Michael Cohen for perjury

Quote:
Two of President Trump’s top Republican allies on Capitol Hill are asking the Justice Department to investigate Michael Cohen for perjury, accusing the onetime Trump attorney of making intentional false statements during his public testimony this week.

“Mr. Cohen’s testimony before the Committee on Oversight and Reform … was a spectacular and brazen attempt to knowing and willfully testify falsely and fictitiously to numerous material facts,” Reps. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) wrote in a letter to Attorney General Bill Barr on Thursday. “His testimony included intentionally false statements designed to make himself look better on a national stage.”

In a six-page letter with more than 20 pages of exhibits, Jordan and Meadows suggested that Cohen made deliberate false statements over the course of his nearly seven hours of testimony before the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/432042-jordan-meadows-ask-doj-to-investigate-michael-cohen-for-perjury

PostPosted: 02/28/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s a reel on Mark Meadows, the guy defending Trump and himself against the notion of being racist. His political career has to be over, right?

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/At5zbmKZ0DM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/28/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
His political career has to be over, right?

Of course not. Why would anyone think that?

None of this is new about Mark Meadows. It is why he keeps getting elected.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/28/19 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

Meadows said today (or yesterday) that he doesn't have a racial bone in his body. Shocked

Howee

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

Meadows said today (or yesterday) that he doesn't have a racial bone in his body. Shocked

He may be devoid of ANY bones.....backbones, skull or otherwise. He's one of those disgusting politicians (many from the south) whose records (i.e., Birtherism, etc.) negate any pandering they do to 'appear' NOT racist. Tlaib and Cummings handled him beautifully.

PostPosted: 02/28/19 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Shades wrote:

He may be devoid of ANY bones.....backbones, skull or otherwise. He's one of those disgusting politicians (many from the south) whose records (i.e., Birtherism, etc.) negate any pandering they do to 'appear' NOT racist. Tlaib and Cummings handled him beautifully.

And, he is doing precisely what his voters elected him to do.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/01/19 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm finally getting a chance to view the rest of the Cohen testimony. The clutched pearls display by Miller, (R-WV) was entertaining, and was outdone by Higgins' (R-LA) "where are the boxes" idiocy.

I want to thank the American people for voting the GOP out of, and the Dems into, control of the House of Representatives last Nov. so that the investigations that will lead, ultimately, to the end of the Trump presidency, and that should have begun years ago, can now get underway.

BlueWaveRolling

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/01/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do think Trump will have a pretty hard time getting himself re-elected. I think that forces coming from inside his administration over the last (then it will be) four years will provide a never ending stream of painful scathing details about the administration that might be just what it takes for him to lose key states he won in 2016.

I've already said in this thread a LONG time ago that I think by any citizen's understanding of what obstruction of justice means, and I can't believe I'm actually going to type this, or have to, I DO think lol that FIRING THE DIRECTOR OF THE FBI because of that "Russher thing" is obstruction of justice, a smoking gun, and a high crime that should see him removed from office, somehow.

But this here is an important sobering point, people. This is not some secret tape we're subpoenaing and hoping and waiting to see come to light. We've already all seen the tape of the Lester Holt interview. It happened like fucking two years ago or more. Right there. SO maybe a layman's perspective on obstruction isn't going to cut it. I mean, seriously. If that didn't get Trump bounced posthaste I don't know what to think about any of this. The Lester Holt interview is I would think baked into the red velvet cake of whether or not Donald Trump is still sitting in the Oval Office. And there he sits.

And that brings me to the point in me posting in this thread today. Donald Trump LONG long ago redefined 'winning' for himself in terms of merely surviving. Think about that. I know this guy (not literally) I understand him. I've known people like him. Being able to taunt I'm still here is just about the only thing he cares about, it is certainly his bottom line definition of personal success. Uh, and where exactly is he? Yeah. He now possesses the presidency of the United States of America. He has the White House. Air Force One. The most powerful office on the planet. So in that context, MERE survival DOES carry with it a very powerful feedback loop that he can and does have running in his brain 24/7. And every president has the media and opposition constantly tearing at him. Still being there with no sign of leaving is always going to be something for the POTUS.

That is not to say Trump doesn't or isn't reactive at all to reality. People see him as a lizard. He's mostly lizard. But he is human and he IS intelligent on some or even many levels. So he can be moved by overwhelming negative feedback. We've see that many times already in just three years. The latest was on the shutdown.

But I'm not sure this Mueller thing is going to result in him being removed from office. In fact, I doubt it. Highly doubt it even. And so for Trump, this is going to be winning. I get the feeling that the markets are stabilizing. Hope not. Twisted Evil A China deal may be coming. For all the craziness surrounding the summit ending early with no deals on the horizon, the truth is I believe that Trump did some things right there and for whatever cause you ascribe to it, that situation is far more stable than it has been in the past and I think there's going to be further progress made coming out of this last meeting.

So I don't really think Trump is going to be removed from office by impeachment or anything like that. And he could get re-elected but I have to say I seriously doubt that will happen as well. So this Trump thing, IMO, is most likely to sort of peter out more than anything more dramatic. And if he is low in the polls throughout 2020 it could be a somewhat anticlimactic end to the Trump presidency.

These are sort of my predictions. Wink

PostPosted: 03/01/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

So I don't really think Trump is going to be removed from office by impeachment or anything like that. And he could get re-elected but I have to say I seriously doubt that will happen as well. So this Trump thing, IMO, is most likely to sort of peter out more than anything more dramatic. And if he is low in the polls throughout 2020 it could be a somewhat anticlimactic end to the Trump presidency.

This is similar to my thoughts on this as well.

For instance, Trump's policy decisions post midterms don't actually make any sense for someone who is trying to get re-elected.

Here are a few facts:
1) Trump is an unpopular president
2) There have been other unpopular presidents who have managed to get re-elected
3) Every single one of them course-corrected after getting smacked down in a midterm election

Clinton was unpopular and got hit hard during his midterms. Suddenly he was reaching across the isle more often on numerous issue, and his numbers increased going into his re-election. Same with GW Bush. Obama moderated quite a bit, something that the progressive wing still hasn't forgiven him for, but his numbers also bounced back.

But what has Trump done since getting smacked down hard in the midterms? Shut down the government over an unpopular wall that cratered his approval rating even more, and doubled down on his base. This is the strategy that he employed going into the midterms and it is a proven loser. Whatever one feels about the wall, politically it is a landmine. It just doesn't resonate with the suburban slightly right-of-center voter who just swung the house and who Trump needs if he wants any chance in hell of winning re-election.

Of course these decisions make a whole lot more sense if his goal is not winning re-election, but rather finishing out his term. Catering to his base would help keep Republicans from thinking they would simply be better off without him. Democrats are a lost cause as far as that whole thing goes, but if he started bleeding GOP approval as well...well now impeachment becomes a real possibility.

PostPosted: 03/01/19 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

This is similar to my thoughts on this as well.

For instance, Trump's policy decisions post midterms don't actually make any sense for someone who is trying to get re-elected.

Here are a few facts:
1) Trump is an unpopular president
2) There have been other unpopular presidents who have managed to get re-elected
3) Every single one of them course-corrected after getting smacked down in a midterm election

Clinton was unpopular and got hit hard during his midterms. Suddenly he was reaching across the isle more often on numerous issue, and his numbers increased going into his re-election. Same with GW Bush. Obama moderated quite a bit, something that the progressive wing still hasn't forgiven him for, but his numbers also bounced back.

But what has Trump done since getting smacked down hard in the midterms? Shut down the government over an unpopular wall that cratered his approval rating even more, and doubled down on his base. This is the strategy that he employed going into the midterms and it is a proven loser. Whatever one feels about the wall, politically it is a landmine. It just doesn't resonate with the suburban slightly right-of-center voter who just swung the house and who Trump needs if he wants any chance in hell of winning re-election.

Of course these decisions make a whole lot more sense if his goal is not winning re-election, but rather finishing out his term. Catering to his base would help keep Republicans from thinking they would simply be better off without him. Democrats are a lost cause as far as that whole thing goes, but if he started bleeding GOP approval as well...well now impeachment becomes a real possibility.

I don't like to think like this, because I'm not interested in what happens after, etc. But being Trump post White House, plus being the defiant off-spring of a defiant President of the United States who many in this country will always believe in and be grateful to for expressing their anger with the way this country is, this whole thing could be a real really big, big league win for the Trump family. I can see that happening. Even with him being one-term. Maybe especially with him being one-term. Because he might actually get through this four years with a track record that SOME people can look back favorably on. As long as there's no catastrophic failures in the rest of his term.

lol. And let's face it, if nothing in the last three years, or EVERYTHING in the last three years, isn't a catastrophic failure, it's hard to imagine what might qualify as one now.

PostPosted: 03/01/19 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say EVERYTHING there. I mean most things. Because there is a whole 'nuther real world set of criteria for looking at Trump's presidency. But I won't post that perspective here while I'm trying to ingratiate myself back into the group. Cool

PostPosted: 03/04/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-ERwmJVVA

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/04/19 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-ERwmJVVA

Going to go slightly off subject here but only because this involves a person who is brought into this context by her own efforts and this last post.

Big Sarah Kendzior fan. LOVE(D) her. I think she's IMMENSELY talented and a next-level brilliant political writer.

But wow. I'd like to say I don't know what happened to her but I think I know exactly what happened to her.

So Sarah Kendzior wrote a book. It is a collection of her pieces for newspapers and online outlets. That book is called The View From Fly-Over Country. I recommend it to everyone here. I gave my first copy away and immediately ordered another for myself. I know I'm superlative Joe but it is one of the most important books on American politics, as it happens between the economic and social classes in America and as it plays out regionally in terms of areas that are thriving and areas that reflect great decline, that I think we've ever seen. She's an off the charts brilliant political voice.

I actually cannot adequately convey how brilliant I think her writing is. Yes it is largely anecdotal commentary. But Sarah Kendzior articulates the cruz of the central core problems in America and the American economic and class systems. She doesn't go deep data. With a writing voice and a perspective that sounds like it's coming from a MUCH older world-weary person, she talks about realities on the ground and she actually provides the language, the descriptive words and phrases that can give everyone a better understanding of what exactly has gone wrong in this country and who suffers because of it.

One of my favorites: Opportunity Hoarding.

That book was published in 2015. Off the top of my head I think it doesn't contain any mention of Donald Trump. I also can tell you that I do not believe there was any buzz surrounding the book and I would bet sales of TVFFOC were sparse. (I could be wrong about some of that and maybe someone has a way of tracking the sales of a book chronologically from the time it hits the shelves.) While the book doesn't mention Trump, it certainly describes the conditions in the heartland of America that would allow Trump to rise to the extent that he has. It brutalizes the coasts and the elites. It's an amazing book. Truly. Just for the vocabulary that it will put into your head to describe what America has become for so many of its citizens.

So, again, I don't think this brilliant book did all that well. No surprise there. I never saw Sarah Kendzior on television. Her national profile as a political thinker or writer or pundit was non-existent as far as I could see. But Sarah kinda sorta predicted Trump could become president after he entered the race. She said, based on her deep knowledge of fly-over country, that the conditions were ripe for Trump to be successful in his pursuit of the White House.

Uh. As did I here on Rebkell's. Shocked Y'all know what the fuck I'm talkin' about. Wink

So I don't know and I'm not researching where and when she asserted that Trump could win based on her reading of the political landscape in middle-America. But I believe her and that this is true. For me, it wasn't a stretch at all. I did not believe the polls or the tracker or whatever it was in the NYTimes that gave Trump like a 13% chance of winning the election almost throughout the summer and fall.

Anyway. So Trump gets elected and THAT is a gold mine for people in the political media. And Sarah Kendzior pounces. She claims to have predicted Trump and that gets her foot in the door. They re-release her book with a new forward in 2018 saying, essentially, Uh yeah-uh, just like I said. Here is the America that I described and who then turned around and voted for Trump.

So now the book is selling. And then there comes this. Sarah Kendzior, my hero, the brilliant writer who articulated this one-of-a-kind bottom-up indictment of the ACTUAL privileged coastal elites in America, took ANOTHER brilliant reading of the political landscape, this one looking at where the market was in President Trump's America post 2016, and drawing from her experience working for Al Jazeera and other publications covering despotic regimes around the world, she pretty much joins the resistance and becomes a CENTRAL voice sounding the alarm that Trump is the next Mussolini and the greatest threat to the American political system in our nation's history.

And then she's on Seth Myers etc and MSNBC, etc. In her own words in this clip she says, she's been on this MSNBC show like 50 times saying the same things. I don't watch MSNBC anymore so I wouldn't know how often she's on that network or exactly how much her public profile has risen. But I can tell you coming from my earlier perspective on her, sort of wishing and hoping that her book would catch on and these things that she articulates and describe in her book would become part of the national discussion surrounding class and opportunity and anger and people being left behind... and NOT seeing her getting any traction... that she certainly has chosen wisely in shifting her attention to simply being one of the most talented anti-Trump voices out there.

So that IS what I think happened to Sarah Kendzior. And it's kind of, for me, you know... another one bites the dust. She was too good to be true. And all of these people who are now Sarah Kendzior fans and the producers and hosts and networks who book her for television, when she was gunning for THEIR asses in Flyover Country... lol... it was like WHO? Never heard of her.

Because the kinds of things she wrote in her book were an indictment of the systems that create elite advantage in America. Now I've started wondering what her own background is. I'm suspicious. Is she herself from a privileged background. Did she go to private schools and were her parents and their class and background what enabled her to be who she is in her life.

Hopefully, after Trump is gone, which he WILL be sooner or later, and his family, because there's no way that Donald Trump and his bumbling family will sustain themselves while turning America into a "kleptocracy" and they will soon all be gone, the conditions in America that Sarah filets in her amazing book will still be there, and I hope she uses her higher profile to get back to driving home that message.

Autocracy is not our problem in America and I can't say that it will never be, but jesus h. jesus we actually do have problems right now that we absolutely must focus on. Like the continued consolidation of the purveyors and controllers of media and information in America. That problem is not going away and it's only getting worse.

Anyway.

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/magazine/wp/2019/03/11/feature/nancy-pelosi-on-impeaching-president-trump-hes-just-not-worth-it/?utm_term=.7f42b8e6d00a

Quote:
I’m not for impeachment. This is news. I’m going to give you some news right now because I haven’t said this to any press person before. But since you asked, and I’ve been thinking about this: Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it.

And on that note...
/THREAD

sambista

PostPosted: 03/13/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the judge deciding manafort's second sentence is not parsing words. she's burying him even before she says how many years. it sounds as if she's talking to trump at the same time. in any event, whatever her intent, it applies to him, too.

she's not buying one bit of his shit.

awesome.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

judge: "saying i'm sorry i got caught is not an inspiring plea for leniency."

hahahahahahahahaha!

says she thinks manafort may be playing two games, as she speaks.

ha!

PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/magazine/wp/2019/03/11/feature/nancy-pelosi-on-impeaching-president-trump-hes-just-not-worth-it/?utm_term=.7f42b8e6d00a

Quote:
I’m not for impeachment. This is news. I’m going to give you some news right now because I haven’t said this to any press person before. But since you asked, and I’ve been thinking about this: Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it.

And on that note...
/THREAD

When she spoke the bolded line above, she left the impeachment door open.

#threadaliveandwell

sambista

PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Quote:

And on that note...
/THREAD

When she spoke the bolded line above, she left the impeachment door open.

#threadaliveandwell

yes, she did. she knows what she's doing. not her first rodeo.

meanwhile, the guys who're in prison for 10 years for stealing bread are pissed because manafort's only doing 7+. and probably not that, since tripe will pardon him.

PostPosted: 03/22/19 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tensions rise as Washington looks to Mueller

Quote:
Washington (CNN)The sound of silence is driving Washington to distraction.

The clearest signs yet that the monastic special counsel Robert Mueller may be about to file his final report with Attorney General William Barr have sent Beltway insiders to a state of nervous alert.

But there is no report yet.

So White House lawyers, Trump campaign flacks, key congressional offices and newsrooms are left counting the hours, poised to shape the end game of the most important investigation into a President's behavior in at least 20 years.

For everyone involved, it's like waiting for a jury in a big trial to reach its verdict: long stretches of edgy idleness are laced with the prospect of frenetic action and hugely consequential outcomes that could unfold at a moment's notice.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/22/politics/robert-mueller-washington-donald-trump/index.html

PostPosted: 03/31/19 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZCRgpY4xk-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 03/31/19 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZCRgpY4xk-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/18/19 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time to save American democracy, Dems.

Impeach both motherfuckers.

PostPosted: 04/18/19 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 20 of 43

Jump to: