RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Georgia Tech: what the heck?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25056



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
Remember Joseph was a major player in the Linn Dunn drama in West Lafayette. I am thinking the apple did not fall far from the tree and we are seeing a repeat.


What Lin Dunn drama?


That was about recruiting, IIRC....but it’s been a long time and I’ve probably forgotten stuff.

I still think it may be unlawful to suspend someone—or “place them on administrative leave” as GT so delicately puts it—without telling them why.


Um, there was so much. A lot of it was off the court stuff and just plain weird. Let's just say a tree was involved at one point lol.


no, no, keep my trees out of it!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5582



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Assistant coach Mark Simons, who has been guiding the Yellow Jackets in Joseph's absence, spoke out in support of her after the team's 80-73 loss to North Carolina in the ACC tournament Thursday.

"This is her team. She was the leader of this team, not me," Simons said. "She put this team together. She recruited this team. Those two kids [Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon] that were on the [ACC] all-freshman team, one being freshman of the year [Balogun], those were her kids. She's my friend. She's my boss and the reason I came to Tech."



http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26174858/georgia-tech-assistant-backs-leave-joseph



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5582



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I know it seems *logical*, Occam's razor and all that, but Joseph's hiring of that particular law firm, with its specialty being what it is, just throws a wedge into your reasoning. It just doesn't add up.



Plus, would that firm want to get into another case with a national audience without a pretty good idea that their client had a pretty good chance of winning?



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1605
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Simons takes fill-in role in stride

...At the end of a postgame news conference, Simons pulled out a sheet of paper and offered an additional message.

“I’m up here today because MaChelle Joseph asked me to remain and coach the team. That was her decision,” he said. “This is her team. She was the leader of this team, not me. I just drove the bus.

“And I had to move, like you said, move up a couple seats. She put this team together. She recruited this team. Those two kids that were on the all-freshmen team, one being Freshman of the Year, those were her kids. Those two kids on the All-Academic, All-ACC team, those are her kids.

“She’s my friend. She’s my boss and the reason I came to Tech.”...

https://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20190307/simons-takes-fill-in-role-in-stride

That's loyalty. Exclamation


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2388
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I'm not quite sure what you would expect him to say.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5582



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I guess I'm not quite sure what you would expect him to say.



Keep on saying what he had been. That he couldn't talk about it.

This makes me believe that it is GT that is going to come out of this not looking so good.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2388
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I guess I'm not quite sure what you would expect him to say.



Keep on saying what he had been. That he couldn't talk about it.

This makes me believe that it is GT that is going to come out of this not looking so good.


But he didn't really talk about "it". He basically talked about the fact that he was filling in for his boss.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4084
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I guess I'm not quite sure what you would expect him to say.



Keep on saying what he had been. That he couldn't talk about it.

This makes me believe that it is GT that is going to come out of this not looking so good.


But he didn't really talk about "it". He basically talked about the fact that he was filling in for his boss.


He said more than that. He demonstrated where his loyalty lies and I also think he just told Ramblin' Wreck to get stuffed. Pretty sure he's not planning on returning to the Flatts. I wonder if any of the players move on? Not accepting a WNIT bid gives them time with their families to reflect on things.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5582



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I guess I'm not quite sure what you would expect him to say.



Keep on saying what he had been. That he couldn't talk about it.

This makes me believe that it is GT that is going to come out of this not looking so good.


But he didn't really talk about "it". He basically talked about the fact that he was filling in for his boss.


Lots of ways to say something without saying talking about it.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5380
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nobody's talking about the elephant in the room....or the gorilla either.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
BallState1984



Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 1882
Location: Halfway between Muncie and West Lafayette


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk



_________________
Terminally afffected with Our Girl Syndrome and proud of it!
Phil



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 1104



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk


This is a big deal, and there's lot's more to come.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4084
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk


This is a big deal, and there's lot's more to come.


Involves some athletic programs as well including coaches at Rhode Island, Yale, wake forest, and Stanford.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1230



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgetown, Texas, USC, and UCLA have also been cited by various news stories.

I can understand wanting to bribe someone to get your kid into Yale, but Rhode Island? WTH were they thinking?


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25056



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Phil wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk


This is a big deal, and there's lot's more to come.


Involves some athletic programs as well including coaches at Rhode Island, Yale, wake forest, and Stanford.


yikes. while I would be extraordinarily surprised if it had anything to do with women's basketball, repercussions can obviously effect the whole athletic dept.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5380
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Phil wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk


This is a big deal, and there's lot's more to come.


Involves some athletic programs as well including coaches at Rhode Island, Yale, wake forest, and Stanford.


yikes. while I would be extraordinarily surprised if it had anything to do with women's basketball, repercussions can obviously effect the whole athletic dept.


No, but one of the actresses claimed her daughters (both of them!) were recruits to the women's crew team. REALLY? I think they picked a lot of so-called "minor" sports where it might not get noticed.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13333



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Phil wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk


This is a big deal, and there's lot's more to come.


Involves some athletic programs as well including coaches at Rhode Island, Yale, wake forest, and Stanford.


yikes. while I would be extraordinarily surprised if it had anything to do with women's basketball, repercussions can obviously effect the whole athletic dept.


Then be surprised. See my posts in the other thread specifically on this subject. At least at USC, WBB is implicted.


Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 461



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Phil wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk


This is a big deal, and there's lot's more to come.


Involves some athletic programs as well including coaches at Rhode Island, Yale, wake forest, and Stanford.


yikes. while I would be extraordinarily surprised if it had anything to do with women's basketball, repercussions can obviously effect the whole athletic dept.


Then be surprised. See my posts in the other thread specifically on this subject. At least at USC, WBB is implicted.


I mean, it was Stanford sailing, and the articles I've read so far are of the perspective that the athletic departments are the victims.

Per Stanford:

"Stanford has been cooperating with the Department of Justice in its investigation and is deeply concerned by the allegations in this case. The university and its athletics programs have the highest expectations of integrity and ethical conduct. The head coach of the Stanford sailing team has been terminated.

The charges state that sailing head coach John Vandemoer accepted financial contributions to the sailing program from an intermediary in exchange for agreeing to recommend two prospective students for admission to Stanford. Neither student came to Stanford. However, the alleged behavior runs completely counter to Stanford’s values."


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13333



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Phil wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, I am going to toss this out as a possibility. Who knows?

https://www.chicksonright.com/youngconservatives/2019/03/12/breaking-actresses-lori-loughlin-and-felicity-huffman-among-dozens-indicted-in-nationwide-scandal2/?fbclid=IwAR0DBmg7PUvWldvmU-2f4HA5j7M1dWIWANYMM9rExKndtoPYse4yExrcWGk


This is a big deal, and there's lot's more to come.


Involves some athletic programs as well including coaches at Rhode Island, Yale, wake forest, and Stanford.


yikes. while I would be extraordinarily surprised if it had anything to do with women's basketball, repercussions can obviously effect the whole athletic dept.


Then be surprised. See my posts in the other thread specifically on this subject. At least at USC, WBB is implicted.


I mean, it was Stanford sailing, and the articles I've read so far are of the perspective that the athletic departments are the victims.

Per Stanford:

"Stanford has been cooperating with the Department of Justice in its investigation and is deeply concerned by the allegations in this case. The university and its athletics programs have the highest expectations of integrity and ethical conduct. The head coach of the Stanford sailing team has been terminated.

The charges state that sailing head coach John Vandemoer accepted financial contributions to the sailing program from an intermediary in exchange for agreeing to recommend two prospective students for admission to Stanford. Neither student came to Stanford. However, the alleged behavior runs completely counter to Stanford’s values."


Did you read what I posted in the thread on thus issue? I linked to the supporting affidavit that lays out the allegations.

I have no idea why this is being discussed in the thread about Machelle Joseph because as far as I can tell it has zero to do with Joseph or Georgia Tech. Linkster started a thread hours ago dedicated to this criminal case.


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17703
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I have no idea why this is being discussed in the thread about Machelle Joseph because as far as I can tell it has zero to do with Joseph or Georgia Tech. Linkster started a thread hours ago dedicated to this criminal case.


X__________________________________


There has been no change in the status for MaChelle Joseph, who was put on administrative leave on February 27.

And there has not been any updates or comments from the GaTech administration. Per Georgia Tech associate athletic director and senior woman administrator Joeleen Akin, there is no timetable for announcing a decision about Joseph's future with the program.


BallState1984



Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 1882
Location: Halfway between Muncie and West Lafayette


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art, chill. I tossed it out for speculation. Unwad your panties.



_________________
Terminally afffected with Our Girl Syndrome and proud of it!
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17703
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/19 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attorney for Georgia Tech women's basketball coach on leave: 'Hypocrisy is stunning'
By Ken Sugiura, The Atlanta Journal Constitution
March 15, 2019

Quote:
In a statement to the AJC, Lisa J. Banks wrote: “The NCAA has investigated and found multiple high-level recruiting violations by the men’s basketball coaching staff, yet it is the women’s basketball head coach, MaChelle Joseph, who remains suspended for reasons that have yet to be disclosed to her or to the Georgia Tech community. The hypocrisy is stunning. Georgia Tech’s actions with respect to Coach Joseph are emblematic of the persistent double standard for men and women across collegiate athletics.”


https://www.wsbtv.com/sports/attorney-for-georgia-tech-women-s-basketball-coach-on-leave-hypocrisy-is-stunning-/930932495


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5519
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/19 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
In a statement to the AJC, Lisa J. Banks wrote: “The NCAA has investigated and found multiple high-level recruiting violations by the men’s basketball coaching staff, yet it is the women’s basketball head coach, MaChelle Joseph, who remains suspended for reasons that have yet to be disclosed to her or to the Georgia Tech community. The hypocrisy is stunning. Georgia Tech’s actions with respect to Coach Joseph are emblematic of the persistent double standard for men and women across collegiate athletics.”


I don't find this contradictory, much less a gender double standard. Coaches are not typically suspended while recruiting violations are investigated, but they may be if the matter under investigation is more like a personal/privacy matter, employment contract issue, or some other thing with legal or bad publicity ramifications. GaTech has termed Josephgate a "personnel" matter, which could cover any of these kinds of things.

If it turns out to be nothing more than a typical recruiting violation, then it's time for some outrage.
snzuluz



Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 133



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/19 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personal matter could be an internal review after multiple complaints from players or something happened off the court that involved a player and the head coach...not the first time this would have happened to this coach...sort of what ended Lynn Dunn's career at Purdue and MaChelle was also front and center of that incident.

Firing the grad assistant for talking to players does not seem this is an NCAA recruiting violation.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5519
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/19 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Personal matter could be an internal review after multiple complaints from players or something happened off the court that involved a player and the head coach...not the first time this would have happened to this coach...sort of what ended Lynn Dunn's career at Purdue and MaChelle was also front and center of that incident.

Firing the grad assistant for talking to players does not seem this is an NCAA recruiting violation.


As I said earlier, it's hard not to speculate that the matter is related to, caused by, or is the cause of two players (starters) outright quitting the team in the stretch run of the season, which is an unprecedented event to me.

It's perhaps unfair keep Joseph tied to what happened at Purdue in 1996, but it is history. She and Lin Dunn were fired ostensibly for recruiting violations, but with strong rumors (and even a police report on the internet) of personal misbehaviors.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin