RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Horizon League Tournament - 03/05-03/12 (big gap in there)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/05/19 6:39 pm    ::: Horizon League Tournament - 03/05-03/12 (big gap in there) Reply Reply with quote

The Horizon League has their Men's and Women's Tournament both start on campus sites of the higher seeds and end up in Detroit. It's a little bit of an odd format compared to what I'm used to with the quarterfinals spread out over 2 days - the 1/8 and 4/5 games are today and the 3/6 and 2/7 games aren't until tomorrow - not used to seeing them spread out over two days.

After tomorrow, they are off until Mon 3/11 as the semifinals and final move to Detroit.

Today Wright State plays Oakland and Northern Kentucky plays IUPUI at 5:30P and 7P ET on ESPN+ (can overlap since they're at different locations)

Link that has men's and women's conference info:
http://horizonleague.org/tournaments/?id=13

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I kinda like this format. I always think three games in three days, or four games in four days is just asking for injuries. At the least, I think conference tournies should take a day off in the middle.

- Amanda Gorman
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/05/19 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I kinda like this format. I always think three games in three days, or four games in four days is just asking for injuries. At the least, I think conference tournies should take a day off in the middle.

I see your point on the time off. However, the campus sites and times during the day for semifinals and the final for the Women would make it hard for me to attend as a fan. I like all the games for conference tournaments being in one location but that's also something I'm used to I suppose.

Interestingly, Detroit Mercy didn't qualify for the Women's Tourney and is the 7 seed for the Men so there may not even be a home team playing on Detroit's court at all for the tournament (the Men play at Northern Kentucky tomorrow night).

I attended two Great Midwest Conference Tournaments - in Cincy in 1994 and Milwaukee in 1995. I enjoyed the fact that the men's and women's tournaments were at the same place and attended both. However, that was a small conference - I want to say it was 6 teams so it was easier to do with that size. And while you got some Men's fans to go to Women's games, I don't think there was a ton of crossover there.

On a side note, the 1995 Great Midwest Conference Tournament final between Marquette and Memphis was the best basketball game I ever attended - MU was the underdog and was down big before making an improbable comeback. And the only way they were going to the NCAA Tournament that year was if they grabbed the automatic bid with that win. I really would like to watch that game again and didn't think I'd be able to but found it listed in the Marquette archives - have a message into them to see if I can have access to that as an Alum - we shall see...

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/06/19 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the top seeds won in the quarterfinal round.

The semi's on Mon. 3/11 in Detroit will be:

1. Wright State vs. 4. IUPUI

2. UW-Green Bay vs. 3. Youngstown State

Go UWGB!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/11/19 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This starts back up again today with the semifinals in Detroit on ESPN+:

1 Wright State vs. 4 IUPUI 1P EST

2 UW-Green Bay vs. 3 Youngstown State 3:30P EST

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/11/19 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wright State won 60-51 in the first semifinal.

The UWGB-Youngstown State game came down to the wire and UWGB prevailed 55-53.

The final between 1 and 2 seed Wright State and UWGB is at 12P EST on ESPNU tomorrow.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/12/19 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UWGB only scores 5 points in the second quarter and trails Wright State 27-16 at halftime.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/12/19 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wright State gets the win and the bid. It's only the second time in the last nine seasons that a team other than Green Bay won the tournament.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/12/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Wright State gets the win and the bid. It's only the second time in the last nine seasons that a team other than Green Bay won the tournament.

And it was the first time in 19 years UWGB hadn’t at least shared the regular conference season title. And they were only one game out of first this year. That’s quite a run they’ve had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: