RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AAC Championship - UConn special

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/10/19 12:07 pm    ::: AAC Championship - UConn special Reply Reply with quote

So I notice that we have championships from most of the P5 conferences on ESPN today...and stuck in the middle is a semi from the AAC. Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
LibFan25

PostPosted: 03/10/19 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm interested in watching this game cuz USF gave them a good game last monday.

i love basketball. i don't care what conference UCONN is in, i think people just envy UCONN

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/10/19 6:37 pm    ::: Re: AAC Championship - UConn special Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So I notice that we have championships from most of the P5 conferences on ESPN today...and stuck in the middle is a semi from the AAC. Laughing

Gotta get ratings somehow. Rolling Eyes

Since espn can't buy the Big 12 apparently, what were they supposed to do- 2 hours of The Best of the World Series of Poker? (i guess, if they really wanted ratings). Very Happy

linkster

PostPosted: 03/10/19 7:02 pm    ::: Re: AAC Championship - UConn special Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Gotta get ratings somehow. Rolling Eyes

Since espn can't buy the Big 12 apparently, what were they supposed to do- 2 hours of The Best of the World Series of Poker? (i guess, if they really wanted ratings). Very Happy

Maybe we'll get the TV ratings for these games. Given the attendance at the B1G final I'd say UConn out drew at least them.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/10/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y watched the UCF-Cinci game and it was surprisingly entertaining. It's amazing how much better these AAC teams look when they aren't playing UConn. Both teams wanted to play uptempo, something they never do vs CT.

And I checked the RPI standings. UConn will play RPI No 15 tomorrow for the title.

On Sunday Miss St played RPI No 66 for the SEC title.

Last edited by linkster on 03/11/19 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
acsuc99

PostPosted: 03/10/19 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While not great teams it is amazing how much better UCF and Cincinnati are coaching wise compared to their last coaches (sorry Jamelle). Coach ABE and Coach Clarke Heard seem to be smart women who are running good programs. Hopefully they can get them to NCAA level yearly.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/11/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
While not great teams it is amazing how much better UCF and Cincinnati are coaching wise compared to their last coaches (sorry Jamelle). Coach ABE and Coach Clarke Heard seem to be smart women who are running good programs. Hopefully they can get them to NCAA level yearly.

they have a great recruiting tool - 'we get to lose to UConn twice every year' - and 'maybe eventually you'll be on the team that beats UConn'. Plus they are on ESPN a lot because ESPN seems to be in love with the AAC.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/11/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish UConn still had Andra Espinoza-Hunter, who bombed in eight 3pters for Miss St. in the SEC final. She would have been very helpful last season and this, and especially in the upcoming two years when UConn will be desperate for shooters. I remember when she was sixth man as a seventh grader on the Ossining H.S. team that had Saniya Chong and Shadeen Samuels, who I believe was the BEC's leading scorer this season at Seton Hall.

UCF's coach Abe might be a good candidate to replace Holly Warlick, should that ever come to pass. Abe fairly quickly turned around Albany and now UCF, and like Pat Summitt, she is tall, has a steely stare and coaches physical play.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/11/19 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

they have a great recruiting tool - 'we get to lose to UConn twice every year' - and 'maybe eventually you'll be on the team that beats UConn'. Plus they are on ESPN a lot because ESPN seems to be in love with the AAC.

What's this thing of yours re espn and the aac?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/11/19 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
myrtle wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

I just find it hilarious (and annoying...and absurd) that ESPN would choose all season long to broadcast games like Tulsa v. Tulane on ESPN2 or ESPNU rather than games from P5's that are going on at the same time. And sometimes those games were played instead of ones that I really wanted to watch during the regular season. I can understand them broadcasting UConn games because they have been the powerhouse of our sport, but these other AAC games are really not helpful. They certainly aren't going to make a casual viewer into a fan. And they can't possibly get much viewership. Which they probably use as justification to show fewer women's games. Just a pet peeve.

- Amanda Gorman
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/11/19 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
myrtle wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

I just find it hilarious (and annoying...and absurd) that ESPN would choose all season long to broadcast games like Tulsa v. Tulane on ESPN2 or ESPNU rather than games from P5's that are going on at the same time. And sometimes those games were played instead of ones that I really wanted to watch during the regular season. I can understand them broadcasting UConn games because they have been the powerhouse of our sport, but these other AAC games are really not helpful. They certainly aren't going to make a casual viewer into a fan. And they can't possibly get much viewership. Which they probably use as justification to show fewer women's games. Just a pet peeve.

Are you being a cloud in somebody's rainbow? Razz

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
myrtle wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Part of that has to do with the contracts the various conferences have with ESPN or some other pay to view setup. I find it annoying that I see very few Big 12 games other than the occasional Texas or Baylor one, when WVU is right across the border here, and I see hardly *any* ACC games unless it's ND for which ESPN assumes a national audience. I don't mind watching the occasional AAC game, but a steady diet of them would be very annoying, especially if it's the bottom of the conference. Our cable at least has the SEC and B1G (why that I don't know, probably because of Maryland) channels,, so that's a good variety, but geez, ESPN!

PostPosted: 03/11/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting back on topic

The line tonight is UConn -20.5 O/U 126.5

Those in the know are aware that Massey makes no allowance for injuries so the so-called "smart bet" is to take the points.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/11/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
myrtle wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Part of that has to do with the contracts the various conferences have with ESPN or some other pay to view setup. I find it annoying that I see very few Big 12 games other than the occasional Texas or Baylor one, when WVU is right across the border here, and I see hardly *any* ACC games unless it's ND for which ESPN assumes a national audience. I don't mind watching the occasional AAC game, but a steady diet of them would be very annoying, especially if it's the bottom of the conference. Our cable at least has the SEC and B1G (why that I don't know, probably because of Maryland) channels,, so that's a good variety, but geez, ESPN!

The Big10 and PAC12 have their own (non-espn networks). The Big12 is on FSN and Texas has the Longhorn Network. This is why those teams appear sparingly on espn.

Later this year, FINALLY, the ACC will have its own tv network, via espn.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/11/19 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice to see that the officials are calling fouls, unlike the last game where I swear I saw a baseball bat on the court. Wink

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/11/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

You have got to be kidding me, they play zone or overplay on defense and give up lay ups, its the worst coaching I have ever seen in this tournament.

PostPosted: 03/11/19 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Getting back on topic

The line tonight is UConn -20.5 O/U 126.5

Those in the know are aware that Massey makes no allowance for injuries so the so-called "smart bet" is to take the points.

UConn wins by 21, covering the line. Pay the give and the under.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/13/19 7:37 am    ::: Re: AAC Championship - UConn special Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Here's your answer:

thanks to awhom111 on the general disc. forum:

Championship Sunday:
ACC: 285,000
SEC: 424,000
B1G: 386,000
Pac 12: 418,000

South Florida-UConn averaged 319,000 viewers.

Tape delayed national championship indoor track and field on ESPN at the same time as the Pac 12 game averaged 477,000 viewers.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=95401

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: