RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Cambage: "I couldn't pay my mortgage"

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6723
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 10:01 am    ::: Cambage: "I couldn't pay my mortgage" Reply Reply with quote

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/i-couldn-t-pay-my-mortgage-how-liz-cambage-was-pushed-to-the-limit-20190307-p512gu.html



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19253



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was she really making $100k in the WNBL? This makes me believe she'll play in the WNBA this season just to get a paycheck. Can't see her sitting out and not playing (getting paid) until the Fall 2019.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 1280



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she couldn’t pay her mortgage, maybe owning a house isn’t for her. Get an apartment instead.


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10404
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what housing prices are like in Australia, and I have no idea how big or expensive the kind of house Liz wanted to get.

As the article said, Liz has not gotten paid since September 2018, when the WNBA season ended. And her Achilles injury prevented her from playing in China (and a lucrative contract) afterwards. Too bad about the injury, though, because she likely could have afforded to buy the house of her choice.

I'm not a personal finance expert, but it makes me wonder how much money Liz has saved, or she must have a very expensive lifestyle off-the-court.

Where was Suze Orman when you really needed her? Wink



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw


Last edited by StevenHW on 03/07/19 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8980



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C'mon RebKell fans - let's start a GoFundMe account to pay Liz' mortgage. I'm pretty sure that Wings fans will be the first to donate.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51480



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could be she’s just blowing smoke in a sympathy play thinking it’ll help WNBA players score more money in the CBA negotiations.

If she’s telling the truth, it’s hard to feel sorry for her. She’s been a pro for over a decade, and if she would have kept her nose to the grindstone, she wouldn’t have any financial problems. She’s not the nose to the grindstone type. She did miss some time due to injury, but most of the time she elected not to work for whatever excuse she could come up with.

I suspect she may have overbought on her house thinking the easy money would keep flowing in.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 19272



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Houses in Melbourne are expensive. So is dining out constantly at the hipsterest cafes & restaurants. (Liz, you Instagram this stuff daily so we see it)

I wish the best for all female athletes, especially the ones at the elite end of their respective sports, when it comes to fighting for better pay and better conditions. But at the same time I don't have much sympathy for anyone who is financially irresponsible. With the amount she has earned already in her career she should be way in front of her mortgage payments unless she jumped straight into a high-end property. It's clearly time for some much better financial advice.


DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 181
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy,

You almost made me say something I may regret!!!


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 696
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She better hope she is not traded to Vagas . She could blow her entire paycheck in one weak at the tables. Now it is understandable why she wants to go to LA. That life style suites her spending habits. She should go to the Sun. In that part of the country she could save some money. Wink



_________________
No one one is ever as good as their best game, nor as bad as their worst.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7384



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/19 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
C'mon RebKell fans - let's start a GoFundMe account to pay Liz' mortgage. I'm pretty sure that Wings fans will be the first to donate.


Maybe separate conditional GoFundMes: "To provide moving and other re-location expenses and to facilitate a smooth and painless transition to Chicago for Liz Cambage should she sign with the Chicago Sky".

$5 John Doe
$250,000 Jonathon Alter
$25 Maria Alizondo
$100,000 Naomi Alter
$15 Shannon Brown
$500,000 Morton Alter
...


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15628
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/08/19 4:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Houses in Melbourne are expensive. So is dining out constantly at the hipsterest cafes & restaurants. (Liz, you Instagram this stuff daily so we see it)

I wish the best for all female athletes, especially the ones at the elite end of their respective sports, when it comes to fighting for better pay and better conditions. But at the same time I don't have much sympathy for anyone who is financially irresponsible. With the amount she has earned already in her career she should be way in front of her mortgage payments unless she jumped straight into a high-end property. It's clearly time for some much better financial advice.


Yeah thats the same impression that she gave me when i saw pictures on her social media of daily take out, going out to eat multiple times on a day, drinks party's etc. But then she responds to go back to the kitchen haters on social media with Honey i can pay you to make my sandwiches.


Quote:
Interestingly, the revelation of Cambage’s financial woes came a day after she said she responds to negative comments by turning it into her own power, commenting: “I can pay you to make my sandwiches.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/wnbl/liz-cambage-says-she-pushed-her-body-to-the-point-where-she-was-no-longer-able-to-earn-money/news-story/6121d9b7b0b4bbe13cc63cb166cbb3b8



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6723
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/19 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Basketball star Liz Cambage opens up on growing up coloured in Australia


https://wwos.nine.com.au/basketball/liz-cambage-on-growing-up-black-in-australia-and-women-in-sport/d1b93f4f-e3a8-478e-9a87-5f72eaceaa95



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
josephkramer44



Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 136



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing that has to be crushing for certain teams is the vastly different cost of living throughout the US. For example the salaries of players on the Liberty and Seattle are not very good when one considers the cost of living in those areas, where as the salaries in Minnesota or Atlanta go much further. I wonder if that makes a big impact on players decisions on where to sign.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51480



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Housing and most of the food is included during the season, which is something players and unknowledgeable advocates like David Berri always fail to mention.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2726
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/19 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
Basketball star Liz Cambage opens up on growing up coloured in Australia


https://wwos.nine.com.au/basketball/liz-cambage-on-growing-up-black-in-australia-and-women-in-sport/d1b93f4f-e3a8-478e-9a87-5f72eaceaa95


Thanks for posting this.


herna220



Joined: 26 Sep 2016
Posts: 31



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:
One thing that has to be crushing for certain teams is the vastly different cost of living throughout the US. For example the salaries of players on the Liberty and Seattle are not very good when one considers the cost of living in those areas, where as the salaries in Minnesota or Atlanta go much further. I wonder if that makes a big impact on players decisions on where to sign.


If strictly for the money, Dallas should be THE ideal spot for any player. No state income tax in Texas and cost of living is great versus just about any other WNBA city I loaded into the cost of living calculator, but of course she wants out of there so there is that.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 19272



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
Basketball star Liz Cambage opens up on growing up coloured in Australia


https://wwos.nine.com.au/basketball/liz-cambage-on-growing-up-black-in-australia-and-women-in-sport/d1b93f4f-e3a8-478e-9a87-5f72eaceaa95


The caption is absolutely true, but they could hardly have found a worse photo to illustrate it!



DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 181
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herna220,

Everyone has this misconception that it is cheaper to live in Dallas vs other major cities, I'm here to tell you that is an absolute myth!!!

Due to the MASSIVE influx of people from California, NY, IL, LA and NC, our cost of living has increased at least 45% or more, not to mention we pay an astronomical amount of money in property taxes, second highest rates in the nation for auto, home and life insurance, our toll fees continue increase with every new system built....and we build them every 24hrs it seems....housing prices have almost doubled for a basic home, and even though both American and Southwest Airlines are headquartered here, we pay MORE than rest of the country for ticket prices, so please don't believe the hype!!!


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8438
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/19 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
herna220,

Everyone has this misconception that it is cheaper to live in Dallas vs other major cities, I'm here to tell you that is an absolute myth!!!

Due to the MASSIVE influx of people from California, NY, IL, LA and NC, our cost of living has increased at least 45% or more, not to mention we pay an astronomical amount of money in property taxes, second highest rates in the nation for auto, home and life insurance, our toll fees continue increase with every new system built....and we build them every 24hrs it seems....housing prices have almost doubled for a basic home, and even though both American and Southwest Airlines are headquartered here, we pay MORE than rest of the country for ticket prices, so please don't believe the hype!!!




__________ #Preach



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
fancy_daniel



Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Posts: 4410
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
herna220,

Everyone has this misconception that it is cheaper to live in Dallas vs other major cities, I'm here to tell you that is an absolute myth!!!

Due to the MASSIVE influx of people from California, NY, IL, LA and NC, our cost of living has increased at least 45% or more, not to mention we pay an astronomical amount of money in property taxes, second highest rates in the nation for auto, home and life insurance, our toll fees continue increase with every new system built....and we build them every 24hrs it seems....housing prices have almost doubled for a basic home, and even though both American and Southwest Airlines are headquartered here, we pay MORE than rest of the country for ticket prices, so please don't believe the hype!!!


Agreed in large part. People focus on no income tax but my in-laws all live in the DFW area an they have astronomical property taxes. I think the state finds other ways to get its money. Now, I think the housing is still far lower than Los Angeles, SF or NYC, but it is growing very, very quickly.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin