RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gold Diggers of the WNBA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/19 8:16 am    ::: Gold Diggers of the WNBA Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R2bELcy7S20" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bELcy7S20

PostPosted: 03/10/19 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes, that was really bad.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mb1

PostPosted: 03/10/19 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ouch.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/10/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was I supposed to laugh? Guess I was too busy watching the background stage actors.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/10/19 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a chance that the idea could have been built into a clever sketch, but the writing was really awful.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/10/19 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Same lazy stereotypes I went off on Twitter so here I'm just gonna say AWFUL

PostPosted: 03/10/19 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Same lazy stereotypes I went off on Twitter so here I'm just gonna say AWFUL

"Lazy stereotypes" is exactly right.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/11/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well they say there isn't such a thing as bad advertising...

- Amanda Gorman
hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/11/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cringed so hard by the time Keenan Thompson's first line I couldn't watch anymore (yes, that quick).
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/11/19 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious as to whose idea this sketch was and who wrote it.

PostPosted: 03/11/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It actually had the potential to be funny and make a point, but nope, let's just go the cheap played-out insults route instead.

(though overall it was a pretty good episode of SNL, and that is rare)

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep they missed the mark. They tried to oust the deniers and it back fired. The real problem is not full understanding. I actually love SNL but sometimes they don't quite get it.

PostPosted: 03/12/19 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it was a little funny - especially the title and concept. I felt like I was laughing at Alan Barcoff, which I enjoy doing. Some of those lazy stereotypes are actually true.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/12/19 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good amount of backlash on Twitter from a lot of players about this, especially since the league posted it on their Twitter page.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/12/19 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Good amount of backlash on Twitter from a lot of players about this, especially since the league posted it on their Twitter page.

Glad to see that there was backlash from lots of players.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/13/19 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I am a big WNBA fan, but why take this so seriously. It was meant to be outrageous and silly. Thats what some types of humor is. I suppose because a lot of the humor now is geared less to being funny but rather to making social and political statements its no surprise that some people might take it too seriously.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I am a big WNBA fan, but why take this so seriously. It was meant to be outrageous and silly. Thats what some types of humor is. I suppose because a lot of the humor now is geared less to being funny but rather to making social and political statements its no surprise that some people might take it too seriously.

Humor can be hurtful. Humor can spread ignorance and bigotry. I'd say that some people don't take humor seriously enough. Are you OK with sexist jokes? Racist jokes? Anti-Semitic jokes? Homophobic jokes? Etc. Etc. I'm not.

I've taught improv comedy classes for beginners and nonperformers for 20 years. I encourage my students to create humor without bigotry and ugly stereotypes. So I've had 20 years of evidence right in front of me that humor can be wonderful--and doesn't have to be offensive and bigoted. Nor does it have to promote what Happycappie25, writing on this thread, rightly called "lazy stereotypes."

P.S. About a decade ago I went to a comedy club in New York because one of my improv students was among the performers. A guy got up to do his five minutes. He made a rape joke. And continued drawing on that same rape joke for his entire five minutes. Are you going to ask "Why take that so seriously?" On a women's basketball message board?

dab44lb

PostPosted: 03/13/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
I thought it was a little funny - especially the title and concept. I felt like I was laughing at Alan Barcoff, which I enjoy doing. Some of those lazy stereotypes are actually true.

Aaaaaahahahahahaha!!!! Now this was funny!!!

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
willtalk

PostPosted: 03/13/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Humor can be hurtful. Humor can spread ignorance and bigotry. I'd say that some people don't take humor seriously enough. Are you OK with sexist jokes? Racist jokes? Anti-Semitic jokes? Homophobic jokes? Etc. Etc. I'm not.

I've taught improv comedy classes for beginners and nonperformers for 20 years. I encourage my students to create humor without bigotry and ugly stereotypes. So I've had 20 years of evidence right in front of me that humor can be wonderful--and doesn't have to be offensive and bigoted. Nor does it have to promote what Happycappie25, writing on this thread, rightly called "lazy stereotypes."

P.S. About a decade ago I went to a comedy club in New York because one of my improv students was among the performers. A guy got up to do his five minutes. He made a rape joke. And continued drawing on that same rape joke for his entire five minutes. Are you going to ask "Why take that so seriously?" On a women's basketball message board?
It all depends on context. Now some people will tend to use humor to hide their own mean intentions via sarcastic comments and then say they were only kidding. It is just a matter of common sense. Of course that seems to be lacking now days.

I suppose everyone has their own criteria for what is funny to them. I have my limits. One being making humor out of the handycapped both physically and mentally. I also never did and still don't find video's where people get hurt funny either.

I also remember the musical " The Fantastics" which had a number entitled "It depends on what you pay" which constantly used the term "Rape" throughout in a light hearted fashion. It ran from 1960 to 2002 until they finally revised the song. The first time I became aware of the lyrics, I felt they were very inappropriate, but no one else seemed to object. I did not need public opinion to tell me it was objectionable. It was meant to be humorous and light but I thought it sent the wrong message to the impressionable. This is why we used to have entertainment codes. Those that are offended do not need to be protected.

Humor can involve a vast gray area where some people find things funny and others find it offensive. The dividing line for me depends on the audience. Is it hurtful or is it just someone taking the opportunity to take offense so that they can use a morality club against someone.

Some humor should only be told ( if at all if ) to people who we know it will not affect negatively. We used to rag on our friends all the time using all sorts of slurs that would be considered criminal or offensive today. Of course that again requires common sense which seems to be lacking of late.

As I said I objected to the Fantastics song because it was vey popular and would send the wrong message impressionable young people. This was also at a time when we were constantly bombarded with negative male images by the entertainment industry. I don't find this to be the case in respect to this skit on the WNBA. While it might be partially true, society is pushing gender equality to the degree that any negative affect would be minimal.

SNL rags on everyone. The players in the WNBA are all adults who if they are offended should get over it. Being the target of humor is part of celebrity We should all learn to laugh at ourselves.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:

This is the direction it could and should have gone but didn't indeed that's one reason I'm insulted...they took the easy and sleazy way out

I know a few others other than barcoff this could have gone that way including myself before I met Queenie (tho most who actually knew me knew the becky favouring was exaggerated for humor) if they went that route I would have loved it

I mean I'm good friends with enough good humored male Lib fans both on this board and off that I actually suggested to lib management that we COULD create a REAL fanboys of the wnba answer skit that would be funny as hell and not insult players and fans lol the concept wasn't terrible I've known a few who'd fit the mold barcoff the most infamous but also Luis before he became "official" and I'm sure Libfan can write some one liners for folks he knows who'd put those 3 clowns to shame

Problem is this and now I'm also replying to Will on why that skit was hurtful to many

I'm sure being in Pac 12 country where wbb is more popular you've never gone to a game and been asked which player your kid was because how else would you be passionate about the team

Or have someone laugh in your face over a player tearing their acl cuz "it's just girls"

Have kids on giveaway root for the opponents DURING A PLAYOFF GAME just to be assholes cuz "it's womens basketball no one really cares"

Have you wife called the D word by drunks and randos because she wears Lib gear to other sporting events - worse have your wife be so used to it her response is "at least he knows who the liberty are"

Be called out as the wrong people attending by league officials Adam Silver made sure for whatever reason that we all felt that one but I've had that one hurled at me in other sports as well

Be asked "why do you care" by the very young girls leagues and colleges are trying to get to care...I have a stock answer and a good one but that one always gets me

Have fans of your own team question the SEX of opponents...bonus points if said opponent is one of the more femme on the team

Have athletic department officials stage an event for wbb sth that basically was them asking us "why aren't you supporting the men's team"

Have sexually explicit and homophobic jokes made at you by your boss for liking wbb

I can vouch for all of these happening to me and others I'm sure other make fans esp if they go both college and pro can share similar insults especially I'm the past...I will say things have gotten better

But those who know me on Twitter know I got into an at times heated debate with Amber Cox on if humor should be used at all by official team feeds and sites part of my trepidation of using humor especially of the trash talk variety is the amount of bad natured humor we go thru every day...especially directed at players I've had other people say the same thing...I know one reporter who basically has a view that everything said will be taken red letter seriously (and yes that goes too far lol) but I've heard the vitriol that makes such a stance possible

So while the skit had potential to go into some of the over the type of fans that can cross lines and make us cringe like barcoff

It instead went the lazy way

"Why bother they're all gay anyway " better question to ask is where HAVEN'T heard that shit before...and I'm not even getting into demon volleyball using that stereotype to recruit against the sport let alone Wiggins and her antics

Wisecracks about pay

And just poor writing overall

That's why we can't see the humor in it...cuz we've seen that kind of hurt every day just for liking wbb

And I'll say it...I actually DID meet the girl of my dreams at a lib game...still married happily...game day is our date night...dang right in gonna be a bit miffed at make w fans being portrayed as leisure suit Larry (Google it!) Losers

I get where the humor could have been and actually and seriously would like to see a club recruit some good humored male STH and do a POSITIVE answer to this skit...I bet we can do better boys...I know if asked if do it cuz there is potential there

They just resorted to cheap shots that we are just sick of.

That's why we can't find the humor.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, Happycappie, for this powerful statement. I'm very sorry to read of the many ugly moments you've had to face. But not, alas, surprised. It's why I love AND hate sports. The sports world has great people in it, but is a sewer of bigotries.

Despite the predictable and endless cry of "Why do you take this so seriously?", callous and bigoted humor IS serious, quite rightly, for many of us. Ugly humor builds a culture where hurtful words encourage far more hurtful actions.

But how great that you DID meet the girl of your dreams at a Liberty game and are still happily married today.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/16/19 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA stars respond to homophobic SNL skit

Quote:
"It’s just a very prehistoric way of thinking about the world and women who play sports."

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/16/19 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Read most of those comments when it happened but it was a good article great job by Gibbs there

PostPosted: 03/16/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
WNBA stars respond to homophobic SNL skit

Quote:
"It’s just a very prehistoric way of thinking about the world and women who play sports."

Thanks for posting this excellent article.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/17/19 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was down in Las Vegas last weekend so I didn't see the skit until tonight. I am a big fan of SNL even though at least half their skits miss the mark. I didn't find this skit particularly funny, but neither do I find it offensive. It was bad comedy, nothing more or less. Calling this offensive misses the point of comedy. It wasn't meant hurtfully, it included some broad stereotypes but that is necessary for this type of humor. And I suppose some people might be offended by my use of the word "broad."

What I am surprised by was the use of a real player's name for the Leslie Jones character, Tamika Williams, and that no one on this board commented on it. I suspect the writers of the skit didn't even know that she was actually a player, nor did legal or anyone else that reviewed it. But I would have thought that someone here would have noticed. And I suspect that some people at UConn and Penn St did too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: