RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac 12 2018-2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/03/19 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
In an ESPN article discussing UCLA's firing of MBB Coach Steve Alford, ESPN Staff Writer Jeff Borzello noted the following, in a discussion as to how UCLA's next coach could get the Bruins back on track:

Quote:
UCLA also can't take graduate transfers -- Alford and his staff tried in 2014 with Jon Octeus, but the school denied him admission -- and they're also unlikely to accept junior college transfers who didn't qualify coming out of high school.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25670309/how-steve-alford-firing-impact-coaching-carousel

I was unaware of this. Is it true on the women's side?

I know that Cal has accepted graduate transfers on both the men's and women's side (including Reece Caldwell this season). While UCLA is a different school they are both part of the UC system.

I did a quick check of other sports at UCLA and found a JC transfer on the track team as well as several transfers from other Division 1 schools, but I do not believe that any were graduate transfers.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/03/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
In an ESPN article discussing UCLA's firing of MBB Coach Steve Alford, ESPN Staff Writer Jeff Borzello noted the following, in a discussion as to how UCLA's next coach could get the Bruins back on track:

Quote:
UCLA also can't take graduate transfers -- Alford and his staff tried in 2014 with Jon Octeus, but the school denied him admission -- and they're also unlikely to accept junior college transfers who didn't qualify coming out of high school.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25670309/how-steve-alford-firing-impact-coaching-carousel

I am not sure that I buy that this is true. Jon Octeus finished at Purdue, and I certainly don't remember UCLA coming up like this when he was transferring. I could be wrong, but as I remember it he was a clear and early Purdue get.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/05/19 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

They have taken transfers, but I'm not sure about grad transfers. I think the problem is qualifying academically.

This is correct. Technically UCLA can take grad transfers, but the UCLA graduate program admins are (for whatever reason) notoriously unhelpful and unresponsive to the requests of the athletic department, and routinely reject grad transfer players who would be otherwise eligible for admission to the university at large, regardless of how helpful they would be to the sports teams in question. They just dgaf. It drives the coaches here crazy.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/05/19 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

They have taken transfers, but I'm not sure about grad transfers. I think the problem is qualifying academically.

This is correct. Technically UCLA can take grad transfers, but the UCLA graduate program admins are (for whatever reason) notoriously unhelpful and unresponsive to the requests of the athletic department, and routinely reject grad transfer players who would be otherwise eligible for admission to the university at large, regardless of how helpful they would be to the sports teams in question. They just dgaf. It drives the coaches here crazy.

I wonder if, in part, it might be that they don't want to hurt their graduation rates. An athletic grad transfer is apt to be in the program one year only and probably wouldn't graduate. Of course it could be that the athlete's entrance scores are simply too low. Certainly happens at Stanford.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/05/19 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

I wonder if, in part, it might be that they don't want to hurt their graduation rates. An athletic grad transfer is apt to be in the program one year only and probably wouldn't graduate. Of course it could be that the athlete's entrance scores are simply too low. Certainly happens at Stanford.

Yeah, I don't know exactly what the motivation is, on the scholastic side. I just know that it's a recurring complaint of UCLA coaches in multiple sports... they manage to recruit a graduate transfer who can come in and help the team immediately, and the business school (or whatever school) refuses to admit him or her, and the coach is left fuming when the spurned grad transfer ends up contributing elsewhere.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/06/19 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

I don’t think you’ll find any sympathy from the rest of the PAC-12 for UCLA’s supposed recruiting disadvantages.

PostPosted: 01/06/19 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

I don’t think you’ll find any sympathy from the rest of the PAC-12 for UCLA’s supposed recruiting disadvantages.

Wasn't asking for any.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/11/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12 12 Things: What injuries to Provo, Tudor, Fingall mean moving forward
By Ben Dull (High Post Hoops)

https://highposthoops.com/2019/01/11/pac-12-12-things-injuries-provo-tudor-fingall-mean-moving-forward/

tfan

PostPosted: 03/06/19 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018-2019 Awards
Player of the Year: Sabrina Ionescu (2nd year in a row) (Oregon)
Defensive Player of the Year: Kristine Anigwe (Cal Berkeley)
Rookie of the Year: Dre'Una Edwards (Utah)
Sixth Player of the Year: Aleah Goodman (Oregon State)
Coach of the Year: Kelly Graves (Oregon)

All Pac-12 Players
Aari McDonald Arizona G R-So. Fresno, Calif.
Kianna Ibis ** Arizona State F Sr. Omaha, Neb.
Kristine Anigwe **** California C/F Sr. Phoenix, Ariz.
Maite Cazorla** Oregon G Sr. Las Palmas, Spain
Ruthy Hebard *** Oregon F Jr. Fairbanks, Alaska
Sabrina Ionescu *** Oregon G Jr. Walnut Creek, Calif
Satou Sabally Oregon F So. Berlin, Germany
Mikayla Pivec Oregon State G Jr. Lynnwood, Wash.
Destiny Slocum Oregon State G R-So. Meridian, Idaho
Alanna Smith ** Stanford F Sr. Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Kiana Williams Stanford G So.
DiJonai Carrington Stanford G Jr. San Diego, Calif.
Michaela Onyenwere UCLA F So. Aurora, Colo.
Megan Huff** Utah F Sr. Federal Way, Wash.
Borislava Hristova ** Washington State F R-Jr. Varna, Bulgaria

HONORABLE MENTION (receiving at least one point): Erin Boley, ORE (R-So., F); Kennedy Burke, UCLA (Sr., G); Courtney Ekmark, ASU (R-Sr., G); Aleah Goodman, OSU (So., G); Aliyah Mazyck, USC (Sr., G); Amber Melgoza, WASH (Jr., G) ; Chanelle Molina, WSU (Jr., G); Mariya Moore, USC (R-Sr., G); Minyon Moore, USC (Jr., G); Alexis Robinson, COLO (Sr., G).

All Defensive Team

Name School Pos. Yr. Hometown
Aari McDonald Arizona G R-So. Fresno, Calif.
Kristine Anigwe **** California C/F Sr. Phoenix, Ariz.
Alanna Smith Stanford F Sr. Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Kennedy Burke UCLA G Sr. Northridge, Calif.
Aliyah Mazyck** USC G Sr. Charlotte, N.C.
Minyon Moore** USC G Jr. Hercules, Calif.

HONORABLE MENTION (receiving at least one point): Quinessa Caylao-Do, COLO (Jr., G); Maite Cazorla, ORE (Sr., G); Kianna Ibis, ASU (F, Sr.); Lacie Hull, STAN (Fr., F); Katie McWilliams, OSU (Sr., G); Chanelle Molina, WSU (Jr., G); Kiana Moore, UTAH (Jr., G).

All Freshman Team

Name School Pos. Hometown
Cate Reese Arizona F Cypress, Texas
Lacie Hull Stanford F Spokane, Wash.
Lindsey Corsaro UCLA G Indianapolis, Ind.
Dre'Una Edwards Utah G/F Las Vegas, Nev.
Dru Gylten Utah G Rapid City, S.D.

HONORABLE MENTION (receiving at least one point):

Taylor Chavez, ORE (Fr., G); McKenzie Forbes, CAL (Fr., G); Lexie Hull, STAN (Fr., F); Iris Mbulito, ASU (G, Fr.); Andrea Torres, UTAH (Fr., F); Peanut Tuitele, COLO (Fr., F)

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/06/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just getting ready to drive down to Las Vegas for a 9 day vacation. Current schedule has me seeing 19 basketball games, including all the Pac 12 Women's tournament, the WCC and MWC women's semis and finals and Cal's first round men's game. It should be a great time. Four separate venues (MGM, Orleans, Thomas & Mack and T-Mobile).

For anyone else who will be in Vegas, direct message me if you would like to get together.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Just getting ready to drive down to Las Vegas for a 9 day vacation. Current schedule has me seeing 19 basketball games, including all the Pac 12 Women's tournament, the WCC and MWC women's semis and finals and Cal's first round men's game. It should be a great time. Four separate venues (MGM, Orleans, Thomas & Mack and T-Mobile).

For anyone else who will be in Vegas, direct message me if you would like to get together.

That sounds awesome....envy you! Enjoy!

PostPosted: 03/06/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

expecting in-depth reporting! Very Happy

- Amanda Gorman
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/06/19 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, I don't know exactly what the motivation is, on the scholastic side. I just know that it's a recurring complaint of UCLA coaches in multiple sports... they manage to recruit a graduate transfer who can come in and help the team immediately, and the business school (or whatever school) refuses to admit him or her, and the coach is left fuming when the spurned grad transfer ends up contributing elsewhere.

UCLA probably gives fewer athletic exceptions than Cal. Stanford probably gives none.

calbearman76 wrote:

Safe travels, have fun!

Even though UW is still solidly in rebuilding mode and I'd be surprised to see them take a game in the conference tourney, I'm sad. I hope the tournament comes back to Seattle after the arena renovations.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/06/19 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

Have a blast. I'm flying out for the P12 Tourney quarterfinal games, but unfortunately can't get there earlier than that, nor can I stay later than that. But looking forward to a fun Friday of hoops-watching!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

12 Things: Best Pac-12 Tournament Moments
Ben Dull (High Post Hoops)
https://highposthoops.com/2019/03/14/12-things-best-pac-12-womens-basketball-tournament-moments/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Arizona Women’s Basketball: Aari McDonald is already making Pac-12 history
Wesley Stull (Zona Zealots)
https://zonazealots.com/2019/03/13/arizona-womens-basketball-aari-mcdonald-already-making-pac-12-history/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: