RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the Hot Seat 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/04/19 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Candice Jackson (College of Charleston)

This year, the team is 6-14 (2-7 in the CAA). Here were her previous years:

2017-18: 7-24 (2-16)
2016-17: 9-21 (6-12)
2015-16: 11-20 (5-13)
2014-15: 5-25 (3-15)

Back in April 2016, a former College of Charleston player sued the school, saying negligence by Coach Jackson and her staff led to Wallis collapsing during a training run over the city's iconic Ravenel Bridge.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2016/04/26/ex-womens-player-sues-college-of-charleston-for-negligence/83554224/

As of January 2019:
A former College of Charleston basketball player who filed a lawsuit when she had her scholarship revoked after she quit the team because of health issues has settled with the school for $300,000.
http://www.live5news.com/2019/01/17/former-cofc-basketball-player-who-had-scholarship-pulled-settles-with-school-k/

In the two years before Jackson's arrival, Natasha Adair led COC to the following records:

2013-14: 19-15 (9-7)
2012-13: 16-16 (11-9)

Adair left for Georgetown and is now the head coach at Delaware.

UPDATE - Candice Jackson (College of Charleston)

2014-15: 5-25 (3-15)
2015-16: 11-20 (5-13)
2016-17: 9-21 (6-12)
2017-18: 7-24 (2-16)
2017-19: 7-21 (3-14) (with one regular season conference game remaining this week and the CAA Tournament starting next week).

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/04/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Holly's record surely disappoints the spoiled former legions of The Legend, but it's darn good by objective measures. The average coach, by mathematical definition, has a .500 record.

For all her loyalty, service and pride in being a Lady Vol forever, I think it would be personally very difficult for the competitive Holly to admit defeat and quit.

If she does leave, I don't think any of the other big name coaches would leave their currently successful programs to try to resuscitate a bygone era.

Rather than looking for a person with no coaching experience, or a mediocre head coach at a prominent D1 school, or just about any assistant coach, I think UTK should consider a highly successful and proven recruiter at a mid-major (like a Graves) or at lower divisions (like a Rueck).

Spoken like a true blue Husky fan, who wants Tennessee to stay irrelevant. As a Duke fan, there's nothing worse than a WBB fan who denies the mediocrity of another team's coach. The freaking mess that was the "rivalry" Duke/UNC game on ESPN2 does NOTHING to increase the # of people turning on WBB games. Also as a Duke fan, how much fun is it to watch two idiot coaches duking it out? NOT MUCH. The commentators had to reach DEEP to find things to say about the two programs - and to refrain from banging their heads on the desk at every stupid call by either coach.

I've heard Duke will again decline an invite to the NIT. Why provide extra experience for players when the weather starts getting great for JPM's tennis game?

~rAf
Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/04/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Holly's record surely disappoints the spoiled former legions of The Legend, but it's darn good by objective measures. The average coach, by mathematical definition, has a .500 record.

For all her loyalty, service and pride in being a Lady Vol forever, I think it would be personally very difficult for the competitive Holly to admit defeat and quit.

If she does leave, I don't think any of the other big name coaches would leave their currently successful programs to try to resuscitate a bygone era.

Rather than looking for a person with no coaching experience, or a mediocre head coach at a prominent D1 school, or just about any assistant coach, I think UTK should consider a highly successful and proven recruiter at a mid-major (like a Graves) or at lower divisions (like a Rueck).

Spoken like a true blue Husky fan, who wants Tennessee to stay irrelevant. As a Duke fan, there's nothing worse than a WBB fan who denies the mediocrity of another team's coach. The freaking mess that was the "rivalry" Duke/UNC game on ESPN2 does NOTHING to increase the # of people turning on WBB games. Also as a Duke fan, how much fun is it to watch two idiot coaches duking it out? NOT MUCH. The commentators had to reach DEEP to find things to say about the two programs - and to refrain from banging their heads on the desk at every stupid call by either coach.

I've heard Duke will again decline an invite to the NIT. Why provide extra experience for players when the weather starts getting great for JPM's tennis game?
I take it you're not impressed with P's ability to own Hatchell over the years.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a no-win situation for McCallie. If she accepts a WNIT invite, then it becomes “LOOK, SHE’s ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY! SHE’s EMBARRASSING THE DUKE NAME!”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/04/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s a no-win situation for McCallie. If she accepts a WNIT invite, then it becomes “LOOK, SHE’s ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY! SHE’s EMBARRASSING THE DUKE NAME!”

Accepting a WNIT bid will not move the needle one way or another as to whether people think McCallie has already accepted mediocrity or embarrassed the Duke name/brand.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/04/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I`m a little surprised no one linked the Knoxville News Sentinel's column "Why it's time for Tennessee Lady Vols basketball to fire Holly Warlick."

www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2019/03/01/holly-warlick-tennessee-lady-vols-basketball-vanderbilt/3023625002/

I bet Phil Fulmer read it.

I understand that it's more convenenient to dismiss as "outsiders " and "haters" anyone who states the obvious about Warlick's mess and to call them names, but that's not so easy when Kara Lawson has become increasingly critical and the local paper is calling for her ouster.

Art, you're the outsider here. Don't go quoting John Adams (writer of said column) without context.

John Adams is a gadfly. And an idiot. Everyone in Knoxville and environs *knows* that he's a gadfly and an idiot. That includes the editor of the Knoxville News-Sentinel. They keep him on for that purpose, just to keep people stirred up. Every paper has one, or at least used to.

And yes, I'm sure Phil Fulmer read it, and probably had the same reaction I did...he just laughed, because he doesn't take the old fool seriously. And you did.

Last edited by summertime blues on 03/04/19 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I don't think that the NCAA looks too kindly on a program that declines a WNIT bid.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/05/19 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't think that the NCAA looks too kindly on a program that declines a WNIT bid.

Are you saying that the people in the NCAA selection committee would hold a team in a negative light for opting out of a 3rd party pay-to-play post-season tournament when they are choosing teams to participate in the NCAA tournament a year later?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/19 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Shades wrote:

Are you saying that the people in the NCAA selection committee would hold a team in a negative light for opting out of a 3rd party pay-to-play post-season tournament when they are choosing teams to participate in the NCAA tournament a year later?

I don't think the NCAA gives a FF about the WNIT or who plays in it or not. I've noted coaches decline before.

PostPosted: 03/05/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Accepting a WNIT bid will not move the needle one way or another as to whether people think McCallie has already accepted mediocrity or embarrassed the Duke name/brand.

Well stated CamCrz!!!!!!

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/05/19 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I take it you're not impressed with P's ability to own Hatchell over the years.

That would be correct. Beating Hatchell teams these days is hardly a braggable achievement.

I'll tell you what was truly a marvelous achievement - Coach G getting Hatchell's number after years of Duke gets pushed around by Hatchell's Tar Hells. Coach G called on Duke's Football Team to scrimmage with the Duke women. The football players were told "foul away - nothing will be called." The next Duke/UNC game, the Duke players had CLEARLY been toughened up and did not let Carolina thuggery get them off their own game. After the game (in which Duke stomped UNC) Hatchell complained - a LOT - about Duke's "dirty" game. HAH! They could dish it out but became whiners when it got dished back! Coach G owned Hatchell after that.

Once it was decided that the women's basketball program would be the sacrificial lamb for UNC cheating, they've been easy to beat. Diamond Deshields had a wonderful first game for UNC vs Duke and JPM refused to shake her hand and tweeted out some very unprofessional stuff about her. Diamond was the first to transfer out after seeing the writing on the wall and was followed by the rest of Div 1's #1 recruiting class.

~rAf
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/08/19 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington out at Penn St

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Washington out at Penn St

Not surprised.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/08/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She had one heck of a run earlier in her time in Happy Valley.

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/3/8/washington-and-penn-state-agree-to-change-in-womens-basketball-leadership.aspx

stever

PostPosted: 03/08/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suzie McConnell-Serio on line one! Wink

Howee

PostPosted: 03/08/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeeesh. Ya, alum 'n all that, but....not a great track record thus far as a coach.

Coquese at least deserves kudos for 'healing' after Portland's debacle, and for some good records when she had talent on her roster.

PostPosted: 03/08/19 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

That was the first thought that I had in mind when I read about Coquese leaving.

But I thought Penn State didn't want any to hire any coach that had any connection to former head coach Rene Portland. And Suzie played for Rene.

PostPosted: 03/08/19 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
stever wrote:

That was the first thought that I had in mind when I read about Coquese leaving.

But I thought Penn State didn't want any to hire any coach that had any connection to former head coach Rene Portland. And Suzie played for Rene.

They would probably also prefer a coach who is good

PostPosted: 03/08/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
stever wrote:

They would probably also prefer a coach who is good

....and what's stellar about HER record?? I'd think Penn State could do better.

PostPosted: 03/10/19 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This latter part of this article implies that Purdue coach should be on the hot seat. If not now, then certainly by next season.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2019/03/08/rutgers-wears-down-purdue-womens-basketball-big-ten-tournament/3101769002/

PostPosted: 03/10/19 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't think the NCAA gives a FF about the WNIT or who plays in it or not. I've noted coaches decline before.

The NCAA owns the WNIT but I agree. Several teams have declined bids for various reasons. This year Utah has already said they will not be playing in the WNIT because of the draft of injuries that decimated what could have been a Cinderella season.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/10/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Shades wrote:

The NCAA owns the WNIT but I agree. Several teams have declined bids for various reasons. This year Utah has already said they will not be playing in the WNIT because of the draft of injuries that decimated what could have been a Cinderella season.

Not going because of injuries is one thing. Not going to the WNIT because you're pissed that you didn't make the NCAA when you thought you should be there is something else.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/10/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Ex-Ref"][quote="calbearman76"][quote="summertime blues"][quote="mzonefan"]
Ex-Ref wrote:
Shades wrote:
It’s a no-win situation for McCallie. If she accepts a WNIT invite, then

Not going because of injuries is one thing. Not going to the WNIT because you're pissed that you didn't make the NCAA when you thought you should be there is something else.

Teams do it all the time. They just give other reasons. Mostly financial, I suspect, since it’s pay to play.

PostPosted: 03/10/19 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Shades wrote:

The NCAA owns the men’s NIT. Triple Crown Sports owns the women’s.

snowstormxu

PostPosted: 03/10/19 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brian Neal is out at Xavier after 6 seasons. He went 28-80 in Big East play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: